Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2009, 13:36   #436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A real treat this time

Attachment 154971

This picture was graciously forwarded to me by fellow numberplate enthusiast sabinesnubbing.

It appears to be a (rather stylish) Škoda bus plying the streets of Bombay (Gowalia tank route) in the 60s/70s. What's more interesting is it appeared to sport roof mounted cabling like a tram. A little googling tells us this is a 'trolley bus' that ran on electricity. Does anyone remember these, and whether there were more of them?

Bombay was such an advanced city at the time - wonder where we lost the plot.
Hey I do remember my parents mentioning "Trolley Buses". There were many of them in south Bombay running regular routes in the sixties, right upto 1970-71 if I'm not mistaken.
We will continue losing the plot, unless drastic measures are taken. .
Old 6th July 2009, 14:49   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Some treasured photos of Nehru in a 47/8 Buick cabrio and Indira Gandhi in a Chevy of some sort.

Attachment 155035

crazey pavan: Indira Gandhi
I don't think that's a Chevy, early 60's Ford or Mercury maybe?
Old 6th July 2009, 15:23   #438
Distinguished - BHPian

This image (probably reversed) shows a Buick ad displayed on Huges road.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-hughes20road.jpg

Randomusername - quite possible, I've just taken a guess.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 6th July 2009 at 15:26.
Old 6th July 2009, 23:38   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some treasured photos of Nehru in a 47/8 Buick cabrio and Indira Gandhi in a Chevy of some sort.

Attachment 155034

Attachment 155035
The first car is a buick for sure. The 2nd car with IG seems to be an early 60s Caddy, going by the front fender lines (headlight onwards)

Funny that they were to be seen in these cars though, considering that they had 'popularised' the Amby more than other cars and discouraged imports in their times!
Old 7th July 2009, 00:21   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 155034

Rajbhavan MP : Photo Gallery Former Governors

Attachment 155035

crazey pavan: Indira Gandhi
I am fairly certain that both the cars are Buicks, the first there is no doubt, but the second is also one.
Old 7th July 2009, 00:33   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This image (probably reversed) shows a Buick ad displayed on Huges road.

Attachment 155183

Randomusername - quite possible, I've just taken a guess.
Yes the image is indeed reversed. The Buick dealership is now Metro Motors, dealing in HM (Mitsubishi) cars. The building faded in the background is Shree Pant Bhavan, which housed Dadajee Dhackjee - another motor car dealership of yore. DD was a dealer for English cars, if I'm not mistaken - Morris, Austin, and Wolseley.
Off topic: Look at that cool "centre light" street lamp hanging in the middle !

Last edited by SuperSelect : 7th July 2009 at 00:34.
Old 7th July 2009, 01:24   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Dadajee Dhackjee - another motor car dealership of yore. DD was a dealer for English cars, if I'm not mistaken - Morris, Austin, and Wolseley.!
Actually I think they were dealers for Hillmans? Someone (in another thread, cant remember) had posted a period brochure pic. of a Hillman Minx with DD mentioned as the dealer.
Old 7th July 2009, 01:32   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the image is indeed reversed. The Buick dealership is now Metro Motors, dealing in HM (Mitsubishi) cars. The building faded in the background is Shree Pant Bhavan, which housed Dadajee Dhackjee - another motor car dealership of yore. DD was a dealer for English cars, if I'm not mistaken - Morris, Austin, and Wolseley.
Off topic: Look at that cool "centre light" street lamp hanging in the middle !
DD was also a dealer for French, German, and American cars. Peugeot, Mercedes Benz, Packard, Hupmobile, Singer and some more. I have a photo and memorabilia.
Old 7th July 2009, 01:43   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
DD was also a dealer for French, German, and American cars. Peugeot, Mercedes Benz, Packard, Hupmobile, Singer and some more. I have a photo and memorabilia.
Hey please please post the photos you have.. having lived close to that area all my life, I'm very attached to all those old names - Dadajee, BCMA, Brooklands Garage, Metro... what a rocking area that must've been- at one time !
Off topic: YAK'S Tailors, and Cecil Restaurant - more evocative landmarks from good ol' Hughes Road !

Last edited by SuperSelect : 7th July 2009 at 01:47.
Old 7th July 2009, 12:10   #445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The building faded in the background is Shree Pant Bhavan, which housed Dadajee Dhackjee - another motor car dealership of yore.
Could barely make out Shree Pant Bhavan. Used to be one of the most striking art deco buildings around, with brightly lit sign boards of all the marques. Looks so ordinary today, in shambles.

Can anyone share period photos of the building? Im sure some should be around.
Old 7th July 2009, 14:16   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are some great pictures forwarded to me by moralfibre. I cannot verify authenticity of names/dates, I'm just replicating what is mentioned.

General Dyer with his car, 1917

Name:  dyer.JPG
Views: 4164
Size:  50.0 KB

Gen Dyer with his favorite car in 1917 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Allama Iqbal arriving for the 1930 session at Allahabad

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-iqbal.jpg

Allama Iqbal arriving for the 1930 session at Allahabad on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-truck.jpg

Refugees board one of the few modern vehicles to reach Pakistan on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2 superb photos of Jinnah. Can the cars be identified?

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-jinnah01.jpg

Identify the child - Mr Jinnah on a car ride with a Parsi friend on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-jinnah02.jpg

Pakistan-60-Heritage Special: The Founder in immaculate dress outside his car on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 7th July 2009, 14:46   #447
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pics karl. Thanks to the kind lady and you we are able to see the past.
Old 8th July 2009, 19:07   #448
Senior - BHPian

Attached is a picture of a Citroen Traction Avant, one from a lot I got recently. There are more pictures of travel, the roof carrier loaded with bags. The registration is BMX 8222, CVETTE on this forum has one registered BMX 82XX and his uncle's Citroen also had a similar number.
I suspect that this photograph has been taken in some Parsi Colony, calling all Parsi's to check if they can recognize the location. If someone knows the gent, even better.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-citroen-bmx.jpg  

Old 9th July 2009, 11:49   #449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Attached is a picture of a Citroen Traction Avant, one from a lot I got recently. There are more pictures of travel, the roof carrier loaded with bags. The registration is BMX 8222, CVETTE on this forum has one registered BMX 82XX and his uncle's Citroen also had a similar number.
I suspect that this photograph has been taken in some Parsi Colony, calling all Parsi's to check if they can recognize the location. If someone knows the gent, even better.
Thats a nice picture - remember this?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/972097-post272.html

A friends (parsi) uncle went through 3-4 Citroens, but in Calcutta. Shall ask nevertheless.
Old 10th July 2009, 01:29   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey please please post the photos you have.. having lived close to that area all my life, I'm very attached to all those old names - Dadajee, BCMA, Brooklands Garage, Metro... what a rocking area that must've been- at one time !
Off topic: YAK'S Tailors, and Cecil Restaurant - more evocative landmarks from good ol' Hughes Road !
Come and meet me, and you can see some pics. Do you remember the 170 convertible in Brooklands? Well she is now in Bangalore. And the Buicks in Metro Motors? The two Fiats in Noble Motors? Pandit and the workshop behind? All stupid cars joints.
You remember Yak's, tailoring and Cecil, long shut down. But what about the beer joint next to Yaks that still exists? Was that New York? And the Austin Harley in the adjacent compound? I used to hang out in that area around 1980. My MG came from there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks