Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 16:09   #361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Very cool, thanks for sharing!

The wedding car appears to be a 46/47 Ford. You can see a similar car here, still with the first owner.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/787971-post140.html

The Fiat is not a dukkar, but a 58-62 Select, with tail fins.
I guess the reference to MMB 38 is with connection with the Fin Tail Merc not the Fiat.

The wedding car is a 47 Ford.

The thing under the jeep close to the rear tyre is not the exhaust but the petrol tank reseptical.

The actual tank fits under the drivers seat and shaped similar to an inverted L the bottom part of which fits into a recess built into the floor of the Jeep which is what is visible.

The exhaust can be partiall seen exiting below the drivers leg. it then curves and routs out of the opposite side from the fuel tank.
Old 25th May 2009, 16:46   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO, any pictures of the cream Fiat behind your Merc, (apparently MRH 3100)? By the registration it is one of the very last Fiat badged cars, before they changed to Premier.
Old 25th May 2009, 18:53   #363
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
The wedding car is a 47 Ford.
This section never fails to amaze me with its identification skills. A '47? That means my folks drove off in a 19 year old car!! Unthinkable today.

Quote:
GTO, any pictures of the cream Fiat behind your Merc, (apparently MRH 3100)?
Will certainly check the coming weekend and upload, if I find something.
Old 25th May 2009, 19:01   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
'47? That means my folks drove off in a 19 year old car!! Unthinkable today.
Hehe - times were different. A 20 year old car wasn't considered taboo, its all that was available to most people. Plus the damned things were built to last - does the car look 20 years old to you? It looks brand new!

Also upto the late 40s many large high end American cars were available. Post Independance they were not replaced with equal spec cars, but a limited less luxurious range of options. So in the 60s when they got married if it had to be a new car - A Fiat, Amby, Dodge or some Chevy. This 47 Ford is so much more grand, imposing and spacious.
Old 25th May 2009, 20:09   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hehe - times were different. A 20 year old car wasn't considered taboo, its all that was available to most people. Plus the damned things were built to last
You can say that again! BTW, GTO, was this an actual barAt car, or belonged to someone? Because it doesn't have it's roof chopped off, as baraat cars did.
Old 26th May 2009, 10:59   #366
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
does the car look 20 years old to you? It looks brand new!
I'll probably get hanged for saying this in the VCCI section, but all the cars from 1920 - 1960 look the same to me

Quote:
This 47 Ford is so much more grand, imposing and spacious.
Is it a V8? Spacious it apparently was. Dad says anywhere between 12 - 15 of them used to travel in the Fords & Chevys for holidays . And Mahabaleshwar was a good 9 hour drive (proper with lunch boxes, spares etc.). He also remembers this car as more reliable than the newer Amby's & Fiats from their garage. The most reliable car he drove was the fintail (7 years of heavy running = zero breakdowns). Can't say that about the marque today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
BTW, GTO, was this an actual barAt car, or belonged to someone? Because it doesn't have it's roof chopped off, as baraat cars did.
She was a family car.
Old 26th May 2009, 11:03   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'll probably get hanged for saying this in the VCCI section, but all the cars from 1920 - 1960 look the same to me
You probably misunderstood me - I meant even though the car was 20 years old at the time, in condition it still looked new, ie the paint, chrome, bodyline, fit and finish etc. The car is still tight. They were built to last the entire driving life of the owner.

Classic case is road rollers that we use in Pune. Many are still British made, used for last 60 years or more, and can probably still be used another 60 years, ie, it will last with basic maintenance. Then they realised they are selling products that don't ever need to be replaced, and that's bad business!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 26th May 2009 at 11:05.
Old 26th May 2009, 15:57   #368
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I meant even though the car was 20 years old at the time, in condition it still looked new, ie the paint, chrome, bodyline, fit and finish etc. The car is still tight. They were built to last the entire driving life of the owner.
The closest equivalent in modern car terms would be a W124 / W126 & the like?

Quote:
Then they realised they are selling products that don't ever need to be replaced, and that's bad business!
You can say that again. They sure don't make 'em like they used to. Most of todays cars are like disposables after 8 - 10 years of use.
Old 26th May 2009, 16:01   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The closest equivalent in modern car terms would be a W124 / W126 & the like?
Oh yes, 124 especially. And I've always thought the same about an Octavia. But...well...lets not go there.
Old 26th May 2009, 19:43   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can say that again. They sure don't make 'em like they used to. Most of todays cars are like disposables after 8 - 10 years of use.
Some of them seem even half of that time-period!
Old 27th May 2009, 03:35   #371
Senior - BHPian

We have a W124 in the family, one owner. No major trouble till today.
Actually the build quality of cars in general has improved over the years. Last week I sat in a Passat company car with 400000 Km on the clock. Now they want to replace. Car is 5 years old! But a W126, well generally they did not last so long. But there are always exceptions.
Regarding wedding cars, in the south they had a tendancy to have cut top cars at every town, sometimes 3 to 4 cars. But this was in the 1970's till whenever there was demand, maybe even today. But in the 1960's, many times old cars were used, mosty were in good very presentable condition. What else would you have used in 1965? A Fiat or Amby? A larger old car was used, many times the older American cars.
Now, 12 to 15 people in a Ford or Chevy? Well, these were not people carriers, I would say max, but max 9 people, 4 in the front and 5 back seat. Unless you went about in a Van like a woody or the north west frontier style where the dicky was kept open for the people to sit. I have seen such a photo featuring a Chevy 1959.
Old 27th May 2009, 15:10   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very cool, thanks for sharing!

The wedding car appears to be a 46/47 Ford. You can see a similar car here, still with the first owner.

Karl, you are slipping!! How did you miss the 1100 behind the Heckflosse??
Old 27th May 2009, 15:18   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Karl, you are slipping!! How did you miss the 1100 behind the Heckflosse??
Gogiji, you have already slipped and fallen!

Please see my other post number 362.

Quote:
GTO, any pictures of the cream Fiat behind your Merc, (apparently MRH 3100)? By the registration it is one of the very last Fiat badged cars, before they changed to Premier.
Old 4th June 2009, 15:04   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

Some priceless images of Bombay here

Picasa Web Albums - nirmal.hotkar - VINTAGE MUMBAI#

Churchgate Station with some American cars outside.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1-churchgate.jpg

Horniman Circle with a Bedford Ambulance visible.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-horniman-circle.jpg

Apparently Queen's Road from the view of a taxi, probably Model A Ford or similar. Note how little our meters have changed.

Name:  MKRD.jpg
Views: 2308
Size:  110.8 KB

BEST bus, articulated. Leyland?

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-trailor-best-bus.jpg

Flora Fountain, parked taxis visible. What a varied bunch of cabs they are. Also what appears to be a Flying Standard in the bottom left, amongst others.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-vintage-mumbai-29-flora-fountain.jpg

A Deccan Queen poster.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-vintage-mumbai-34.jpg
Old 4th June 2009, 23:25   #375
Senior - BHPian

A lovely set of pics. Few comments:

This Bedford Ambulance is the same model with the sliding doors as seen in Nashik incomplete, and Pune rotting. This pic is relatively recent, maybe only 20 years or so.

The picture from the convertible taxi is taken behind Oval Maidan, opposite the high court.

The picture of Flora Fountain. I have the same photo, but printed in large size approx 2 feet X 2 feet on canvas. My pic says 1952. It shows a tram station, the trolly busses and taxi stand. One taxi is a 1951 Chevy.

The triler bus is indeed a Leyland, they used to ply long distances, Chembur etc and many routes came to Opera House. One day one toppled. They were discontinued, a few ran in Nashik on Mumbai plates, not chenged as the transfer was within Maharashtra, and I believe a few even went to Hyderabad. Any comments on this, DKG or Wasif?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 4th June 2009 at 23:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks