Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2009, 18:33   #316
BHPian

Willys did make 4 door station wagon, check out this link

WillysCountry.com
Old 15th February 2009, 19:30   #317
Senior - BHPian

Those were not exported and if they were they would be in Left Hand Drive configuration.

Was your family wagona left hooker ?

Would be interesting to know as I have never come across one in Inidia.
Old 15th February 2009, 19:36   #318
BHPian

Our was bought from an industrial auction of an canadian company which had rail link to its mines, American 4door Willys were built for industrial use with rail road application. Our was an orignal 4 Door & not Modified.
Old 15th February 2009, 21:49   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Those were not exported and if they were they would be in Left Hand Drive configuration.

Yes it was Left Hander, You can see the steering in the Pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Lovely pics.!! But I had a grin across my face when I saw the Lambrettas (the one with the round horn grille appears to be an early- 60-61 model.)
and let out a HOWL of excitement when I saw the Herald!!

It seems to be an early ('61-62) herald, going by the dual-bulb sidelights! Any more pics. of this car??
No , It was a taxi in which we toured Goa, this pic was taken in Dona Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post

In fact it was sold because of our drivers inconvenience in driving a LHD and also because it was difficult to repair the body as it was aluminium (as told to my brotherby the driver at the end of his days).

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th February 2009 at 13:14. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread.
Old 16th February 2009, 10:14   #320
Senior - BHPian

Then this must have been a one of a kind Wagon in India. Any idea if it is still around ?

Also was it a four or six cylinder engine or was it converted to Diesel.

Any idea of the date of your picture ?
Old 16th February 2009, 11:21   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invinci View Post
No , It was a taxi in which we toured Goa, this pic was taken in Dona Paula
TAXI?? Are you referring to the Herald, or the Amby in the last pic.??

The Herald surely couldn't be a taxi- firstly it has white on black plates, which was for private vehicles then (even privately owned taxis had to have black on white plates, although they could retain their original colour)

And it doesn't have a Goan regn. (looks like MEW or MSW) either.

Incidentally, suren181's father, who worked for CUMI in the 60s and 70s also had a black '62 Herald first....I think it had the same no., will ask him to check and let us know.
Old 16th February 2009, 17:00   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

A lovely picture of Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi with his fintail Mercedes 200 which he retains to this day in original condition.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1174490-post198.html
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-01.jpg  

Old 23rd March 2009, 09:56   #323
Senior - BHPian

Hi Qamar.

Did you check out the WillysCountry | 4DR Willys Wagons website.

Your old four door Station Wagon has turned out to be a very intereting vehicle. Probably the only one of its kind.

Its good to see you get credit for the picture and for bringing this car to the notice of other Willys lovers worldwide.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd March 2009 at 17:18. Reason: Quoted merc picture moved to other thread.
Old 2nd April 2009, 13:18   #324
Senior - BHPian

I have recently received a set of photos from a friend. These are from his wife's family. They were government contractors. This picture may have been taken in Aurangabad, maybe someone can identify the hills in the background.
Peculiar is the registration, it seems to be 360 AURANGABAD. There was no Maharaja of Aurangabad, so this is definitely not a royal registration. But the name of the city is put in full, for Bombay at one time it was shortened to BOM.
And the car does have headlights, look closely.
Cheers
Harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-auranga.jpg  

Old 2nd April 2009, 14:28   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This picture may have been taken in Aurangabad, maybe someone can identify the hills in the background.
Peculiar is the registration, it seems to be 360 AURANGABAD. There was no Maharaja of Aurangabad, so this is definitely not a royal registration.
That is a nice picture, especially since I am stationed in Aurangabad now.

I cannot confirmedly identify those hills, but major portions of the city do still look very similar - as the mole puts it, the dust bowl of Maharastra.

You mention they were government contractors (who certainly look like they are enjoying themselves, though I cant imagine how that position would be comfortable!) - perhaps certain government/municipality vehicles bore these quaint plates. An interesting find indeed.

The car is a Ford V8/Model B?
Old 6th April 2009, 13:58   #326
BHPian

Harit,
A beautiful picture.
From what we do know of the pre 1939 registrations (and this I believe may be a 1933-5 Ford as Karlosdeville says), full names were used on plates in Bombay presidency (Khaipur is known), Central India (6 known such as Rewa, Datia and Sarila, Punjab province where they were used on official vehicles and the Rajputana agency where they were probably most common.
Lovely!
Cheers
Cedric
Old 6th April 2009, 15:57   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting info. on the no. plates. BTW, anyone knows what colour they were? The one on this car doesnt appear black.
Old 6th April 2009, 16:56   #328
BHPian

All,
I have been looking more closely at the Aurangabad plate and I agree with Stanher that it does not look to be a white on black plate. Aurangabad was in the Hyderabad province and the only thing we know about their numbers is that they were plain (i.e 4853) albeit rather pretty and very fancy. If this was a typical pre-39 plate with a name, it should be AURANGABAD 360 not as here. I am therefore guessing that this is actually number 360 in probably white on green (or maybe red) for an official vehicle and the district it worked in is added to the plate.

The attached photo is from an American collector and is a typical Hyderabad Province plate that is said to be from 1937.
Cheers
Cedric
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ind-1908-4853-hyderabadjf-said-1937.jpg  

Old 6th April 2009, 18:03   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
I am therefore guessing that this is actually number 360 in probably white on green (or maybe red) for an official vehicle and the district it worked in is added to the plate.
My guess is more towards a green plate- as considering it was part of Hyderabad, which was the Nizam's state back then, private vehicles would've had green numberplates, signifying the traditional Islamic colour?
And in that case the RC also would've been in Urdu- I'd heard from an old mechanic here that someone had given him a Hyderabad (Nizam state) RC of a scrapped 1927 Chevrolet entirely in Urdu! because he had a similar car back then (sold since), rescued from going to scrap.
Old 6th April 2009, 19:55   #330
Senior - BHPian

Stanher.

The colour of the plates during the Nizams times was yellow, which was the official state colour.

The system was three letters followed by three to four numbers as in "HYX 1234".

Never hear of any green plates at all but have actually seen the yellow plates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks