Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2009, 20:44   #466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This ones for you. I recently found this picture amongst the lot, behind it is written "car showroom, East Street". I can see nothing remotely like this on East Street today, so I really dont know where it was! I can see a petrol pump, and signs for Vauxhall and Amco

Attachment 3870

Dadajee Dhackjee were Hillman dealers, and I suppose this was one if their cars. Im yet to identify the gent behind the wheel. The photo is taken at 5 Elphinstone Road, where the Cresswell Tailors board still hangs. The car must be quite an early one, I see no sidelights upfront.

Attachment 3873
Respected Sir, there is a family living in Mahim, Mungekars by surname they had brought a brand new HILLMAN MINX in the year 1952 from Dadajee Dhackjee . they kept on maintaing the same till 2005 when they brought a maruti omini. the Hillman was well kept but as years passed by they modified few items on the car viz. they changed the original door handles to ambassador ones, the front dim lights changed to ambassador mark3, then they changed the rear boot hanles to some other car. All these years they used the car as a daily use car. They had also brought a subsitute side valve engine. It had original air cleaner,carburettor distributor, even the ignition coil was made in england.They used to spend a fortune to get tin work painting done almost every 2 years. At last in year 2005 they stopped its use and finnally it was sold as a SCRAP BUT IN RUNNING CONDITION. After few days I asked him about the car and told him that he should have given the car to a car restorer,but he said that there were no buyers for the same I told him that he should have surfed the team-bhp threads after becoming a member and he would have met so many Hillman lovers, his face became very small and there were tears in his eyes he told me that he should have done that and after some time or maybe years he could see his car again on the mumbai or any other city roads which his father brought in 1952.
Old 11th July 2009, 21:32   #467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Respected Sir, there is a family living in Mahim, Mungekars by surname they had brought a brand new HILLMAN MINX in the year 1952 from Dadajee Dhackjee.
That really is a shame that even in this day and age a one owner Hillman Minx should get scrapped. Do share some photos of the car if the owners have. What was the regn number and colour?
Old 11th July 2009, 22:27   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Recently I had put up a pic of a Wolseley at the Gateway of India, nearer to the statue on the left side. Now here is a pic with the car in front of the Gateway. You will see that the paving is the same.
Sharing this picture with all as I am declared as a
"not a genuine enthusiast".

Cheers to all enthusiasts harit
Soo vaat karo chho Harit bhai !?! Tamme enthusiast natthi to pachhi hamaara jeva ne kon kevaay?
Old 11th July 2009, 23:28   #469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Recently I purchased three very old postcards. They showed "Laurie's Hotel, Agra. Each pic had an ancient car in the picture. Here is one such picture. The car is probably a large Renault. This should be around 1920. Does Laurie's Hotel still exist in Agra?
Superb, the hotel doesn't look too shabby. The other 2 postcards have different cars? Do post.

Quote:
This Landmaster seems to have been relatively new when some festivities were on. No clue about it, probably a family occasion around 1958.
Always endearing for me to see a nice Indian classic. Those large whitewalls add tremendous get up. Wonder if the car survives.
Old 12th July 2009, 00:21   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recently I had put up a pic of a Wolseley at the Gateway of India, nearer to the statue on the left side. Now here is a pic with the car in front of the Gateway. You will see that the paving is the same.
Sharing this picture with all as I am declared as a
"not a genuine enthusiast".

Cheers to all enthusiasts harit
See earlier you were a "enthusiast" but a "newbie" now you are neither maybe after another 500 posts they will give you the title " "enthusiast BHPian"

Lovely picture of the Landmaster the "Chamak" on the bumpers has been captured for posterity.

Last edited by the mole : 12th July 2009 at 00:23.
Old 12th July 2009, 09:52   #471
Distinguished - BHPian

'found these really nice pics. of mostly Bombay (colour and BW) circa 1978 on flickr.

'not able to save any of the images though!

Gateway of India, Fiat delight taxis (including an early one with long rear bumper) and a tatty, battered select:

Gateway of India on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

What car is the brown/white station-wagon on the right in this pic.?

img074 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

"Light of Asia"- Does this still exist?

The Original Light of Asia on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cabs galore- a treat for our FCCCI junta:

Cabbies Waiting For a Fare on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Early delight (and I think a Vicky moped) outside a theatre in B'bay, screening Star wars:

Unexcelled Magnificence on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

An Austin A40 Farina?

bw011 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

VT station (as was known then):

bw040 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Calcutta tram:

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-caltram.jpg

Link for above image:

Calcutta tram, 1978 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I think this is outside the red fort, Delhi? Nice Renault R16:

bw018 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by Stanher : 12th July 2009 at 09:54.
Old 12th July 2009, 17:11   #472
Senior - BHPian

Light of Asia still exists and these photos just sent me back to my childhood days, I had gone with my fater to see Star Wars playing at Sterling Cinema where this pic has been shot. You can see how much Bombay has deteriorated just by looking at these pics. It's a Shame.
Old 12th July 2009, 21:37   #473
Senior - BHPian

Wow Shyam.. DELIGHTed to see these SUPERbly SELECTed photos... Each photo is an AMBASSADOR of the old times, showing the excellent STANDARDS of living then..
Old 12th July 2009, 23:39   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Wow Shyam.. DELIGHTed to see these SUPERbly SELECTed photos... Each photo is an AMBASSADOR of the old times, showing the excellent STANDARDS of living then..
Thanks ravi! Unfortunately, that's the only thing they havent shown in any of the photos! :(
Old 13th July 2009, 11:04   #475
Senior - BHPian

Arre the blue car behind the fiat cab in the Gateway of India pic - doesn't that look like a Herald ? (I may be mistaken..)
Old 13th July 2009, 11:54   #476
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Arre the blue car behind the fiat cab in the Gateway of India pic - doesn't that look like a Herald ? (I may be mistaken..)
Oh yeah...that could be a Herald 99%....but unlike the fiats and ambys, not one visible completely in the pics. :(
Old 13th July 2009, 14:08   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A real treat this time

Attachment 154971

This picture was graciously forwarded to me by fellow numberplate enthusiast sabinesnubbing.

It appears to be a (rather stylish) Škoda bus plying the streets of Bombay (Gowalia tank route) in the 60s/70s. What's more interesting is it appeared to sport roof mounted cabling like a tram. A little googling tells us this is a 'trolley bus' that ran on electricity. Does anyone remember these, and whether there were more of them?

Bombay was such an advanced city at the time - wonder where we lost the plot.
Hi,

These were the Electric Buses run by BEST for some time in Bombay just after the Trames were abolished.The idea was to use the existing overhead power lines of Trams and get the flexibility of a bus .The tram rails were removed from the roads and this meant a smoother ride for the travellers other then the Bus users.

Uday
Old 13th July 2009, 23:50   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Respected Sir, there is a family living in Mahim, Mungekars by surname they had brought a brand new HILLMAN MINX in the year 1952 from Dadajee Dhackjee . they kept on maintaing the same till 2005 when they brought a maruti omini. the Hillman was well kept but as years passed by they modified few items on the car viz. they changed the original door handles to ambassador ones, the front dim lights changed to ambassador mark3, then they changed the rear boot hanles to some other car. All these years they used the car as a daily use car. They had also brought a subsitute side valve engine. It had original air cleaner,carburettor distributor, even the ignition coil was made in england.They used to spend a fortune to get tin work painting done almost every 2 years. At last in year 2005 they stopped its use and finnally it was sold as a SCRAP BUT IN RUNNING CONDITION. After few days I asked him about the car and told him that he should have given the car to a car restorer,but he said that there were no buyers for the same I told him that he should have surfed the team-bhp threads after becoming a member and he would have met so many Hillman lovers, his face became very small and there were tears in his eyes he told me that he should have done that and after some time or maybe years he could see his car again on the mumbai or any other city roads which his father brought in 1952.
Are there any genuine Hillman lovers ??? Mohaan
Old 14th July 2009, 01:34   #479
BHPian

Hillman cars

Our family used to have Hillman 30's open tourer very reliable cars, besides Austins of all models from Baby Austin to Austin 12hp, Morris, Hindustan-48. They are really very rugged and reliable cars, British cars of those era
were fun to drive and amazing experience. Wish we could retain those cars now.
Old 14th July 2009, 13:01   #480
BHPian

My Grandfathers car-destroyed in WWII

Here is a scanned picture from family album of us.The man seen here is my Late Grandpapa.The car was destroyed/missed(not sold) during WWII.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img306.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks