Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2011, 21:53   #1966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit
A street scene in Musoorie. Wish I could get one of these Chevy woodies now. There are newish Tata-Mercedes-Benz busses, and also the older version with the snout.

Cheers harit
Beautiful lineup of Mercedes buses
Old 15th November 2011, 12:57   #1967
Senior - BHPian

re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
A really nice old photo of Bombay Airport circa 1967. There is a Standard Van (possibly the 20) seen plus what look like some American trucks/vans used by the airport?

Also a Fiat Millecento and a Ford Consul on the right. 'wonder if they belonged to the airport staff? Considering their parking space is so close to the tarmac! Bombay Airport | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Nice picture, though in colour.

The picture would have been taken from the transit lounge at the old terminal building which was located where today Terminal 1B stands. It was a single building approximtely of the same size but housed both domestic and international arrivals and departures. Photography was not permitted at that time. Domestic traffic was on the left side, international on the right with arrival on the extreme right.
The planes are Air India Boeing 707, and a Britannia, not a Viscount or Caravelle. Caravelle was a French Jetliner, not a propeller plane. At that time Jet planes were extremely noisy.
In the far distance is a hanger which was/became Air Works India. One Caravelle of Indian Airlines which was sold to Pushpak Aviation and was kept at the side of the hanger where it fell apart when they were stopped from flying this plane. Pushpak flew to the Gulf, the Government allowed them to buy the old Caravelles, fly for some time and then withdrew the permission. Dirty tricks were played at that time too.
I have a whole set of Bharat Petroleum pictures on aviation fuel tankers taken at Santa Cruz Airport. Maybe I'll post some in future.

Cheers harit
Old 15th November 2011, 19:07   #1968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Beautiful lineup of Mercedes buses
And then they became TATA busses with a T in place of the Star.
Here new truck chassis are leaving the Telco premises, and here I have a question about the windshield of those trucks with a bonnet. When they were built by Tata-Mercedes-Benz, they had a single piece windshield, later as Tata trucks it was 2 pieces. My understanding is that a single piece windshield was advanced, two piece more primitive, did Tata take a step backwards? Just wondering.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-tbhp.jpg  

harit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 19:45   #1969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Here new truck chassis are leaving the Telco premises, and here I have a question about the windshield of those trucks with a bonnet. When they were built by Tata-Mercedes-Benz, they had a single piece windshield, later as Tata trucks it was 2 pieces. My understanding is that a single piece windshield was advanced, two piece more primitive, did Tata take a step backwards? Just wondering.

Cheers harit
True harit a step backward in automobile evolution. The Hindustan 14 had a split windscreen while the Landmaster its successor got the single piece. Its common for most automobiles-Chevrolet Fleetmaster,Ford Deluxe and Custom, and scores of other makes evolved but for the TMB to Tata.
In case of the TMB-Tata evolution, perhaps the intention was to widen the driver's cabin.As one can observe the driver's cabin was wider from the 1210 onwards, as compared to the older ones built under licence from Mercedes Benz.. Perhaps they wanted at least three/four to get accommodated in the bench seat.
The suspensions were also tweaked up and the ground clearance increased in the 1210 series. Even the Forward Control truck/ bus models had higher ground clearances to suit our conditions.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 15th November 2011 at 19:46.
Old 15th November 2011, 20:59   #1970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers harit
Harit ji, Tussi great ho, Now pls be clear and tell me how many more thousand rare and old photos you still have with you sir ji. Pls keep posting them and let all of us enjoy .Rubb Rakhaa.........
Old 16th November 2011, 10:20   #1971
Senior - BHPian

I would guess TATA adopted the twin flat windscreen option to keep the cost of their trucks down as a one piece curved windscreen would cost more to make and to replace down the road in a truck's life.

I think it was a sound decision by them.
Old 16th November 2011, 15:10   #1972
Senior - BHPian

Two pictures of a scooter. Which model could this be?
See the badge on the front right side.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scooter-01.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scooter-02.jpg  

Old 16th November 2011, 17:28   #1973
Senior - BHPian

Its an early Lambretta....one of my dads friends used to have one just like th for a long time.
Old 16th November 2011, 18:24   #1974
Senior - BHPian

Recently I got a number of Army related photos. This is interesting, one could drive into Burma. Hopefully the situation improves and we can also do so.
This picture is taken at point Tamu which still exists, bordering India at Moreh in Manipur. Seems to be 1960's or 1970's looking at the military Jeep.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-tbhp01.jpg  

Old 16th November 2011, 19:05   #1975
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Two pictures of a scooter. Which model could this be?
See the badge on the front right side.
Surprised to find you asking, harit!

Its a 1956-57 Lambretta LD. I had one too until recently, though mine was a slightly later model, with the horn mounted on the handlebar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
one of my dads friends used to have one just like th for a long time.
Wow, nice to know that. Do you recall details like the colour, number ('guess it would have been an early APY series?)
It might still exist!
Old 16th November 2011, 19:08   #1976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Surprised to find you asking, harit!

Its a 1956-57 Lambretta LD. I had one too until recently, though mine was a slightly later model, with the horn mounted on the handlebar.

Wow, nice to know that. Do you recall details like the colour, number ('guess it would have been an early APY series?)
It might still exist!
Dont recollect the number fully but it was APY ...the middle portion was a sort of grey and the res was white
Old 16th November 2011, 19:41   #1977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dont recollect the number fully but it was APY ...the middle portion was a sort of grey and the res was white
Not this one by any chance?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...a-img_9806.jpg
Old 16th November 2011, 19:43   #1978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think so ...it was a bit more simpler looking that that and not in that orange color
Old 16th November 2011, 20:24   #1979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I dont think so ...it was a bit more simpler looking that that and not in that orange color
Yes, the orange colour is of course a recent paintjob! LDs certainly didnt come in it originally, not o'er here atleast.

Even some of the fittings are add-ons (but original to LDs)
Old 17th November 2011, 20:22   #1980
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Harit ji, Tussi great ho, Now pls be clear and tell me how many more thousand rare and old photos you still have with you sir ji. Pls keep posting them and let all of us enjoy .Rubb Rakhaa.........
Sirji, haritji has many "sandooks" perhaps with such photos.
Quote:
I would guess TATA adopted the twin flat windscreen option to keep the cost of their trucks down as a one piece curved windscreen would cost more to make and to replace down the road in a truck's life.

I think it was a sound decision by them.
wasif that was a later design from Mercedes Benz, which Tata brought to India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
True harit a step backward in automobile evolution. The Hindustan 14 had a split windscreen while the Landmaster its successor got the single piece. Its common for most automobiles-Chevrolet Fleetmaster,Ford Deluxe and Custom, and scores of other makes evolved but for the TMB to Tata.
In case of the TMB-Tata evolution, perhaps the intention was to widen the driver's cabin.As one can observe the driver's cabin was wider from the 1210 onwards, as compared to the older ones built under licence from Mercedes Benz.. Perhaps they wanted at least three/four to get accommodated in the bench seat.
The suspensions were also tweaked up and the ground clearance increased in the 1210 series. Even the Forward Control truck/ bus models had higher ground clearances to suit our conditions.
The driver's cabin was broader and the ground clearance was more than the model it replaced.
I am uploading some pictures on this thread of TMB, Mercedes Benz and Tata trucks so that the evolution is visible.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tc-thread.html

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th November 2011 at 20:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks