Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2011, 08:55   #1981
Senior - BHPian

re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Sirji, haritji has many "sandooks" perhaps with such photos.

wasif that was a later design from Mercedes Benz, which Tata brought to India.

The driver's cabin was broader and the ground clearance was more than the model it replaced.
I am uploading some pictures on this thread of TMB, Mercedes Benz and Tata trucks so that the evolution is visible.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tc-thread.html
Anjan sir, it is not SANDOOK but it seems his house basement is full of those lovely B/W photos, he himself may not be aware of what quantity of the treasure he has. I would love to meet him personally if he is based in Mumbai.Maybe in one of our regular MEETS and EATS we have regularly.
Old 18th November 2011, 11:31   #1982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Surprised to find you asking, harit!
Here are some more Scooties, please identify for me
The group in the first picture may be associated with the Indian Institute of Science, Mumbai as was written on the bus in another picture.
The second picture is probably taken in Goa, Margaon and in the background those cranes may be of the port.
Mr. D'Souza was in the Indian Navy as per the nameplate.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-tbhp1.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-tb2.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 18th November 2011 at 11:35.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 14:43   #1983
Senior - BHPian

Just found a pile of photos on stricking buildings and factories. These appear to have been taken before 1960. Maybe this was someones academic project, or some firm was involved, somehow.
These pictures have written on the back:
Standard Motor Products India Ltd, Vandalur.
These pictures must have been taken when the place was very new. A Standard can be seen in the background.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-01.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-02.jpg  

harit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 19:39   #1984
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Here are some more Scooties, please identify for me
The group in the first picture may be associated with the Indian Institute of Science, Mumbai as was written on the bus in another picture.
The second picture is probably taken in Goa, Margaon and in the background those cranes may be of the port.
Mr. D'Souza was in the Indian Navy as per the nameplate.
They are both LDs again!

BTW I remember having seen the first pic. earlier?

Mine was a 1958 "mk3" LD, like the one in the second pic., with the horn mounted on the handlebar.

Quote:
These pictures have written on the back:
These pictures must have been taken when the place was very new. A Standard can be seen in the background.
Harit, I have already thanked you via the "thanks" feature but I will go out of my way to thank you again!!! (sorry only 2 smilies allowed!)
You just made my day- I'm actually down with fever today but these pics. have made me feel better already!

Incidentally I had guessed this to be the standard factory at Madras, even before I read your post, when I saw the first pic. itself! As I remember from somebody's description that the factory was "not very imposing" and that there was an imposing hill right behind it (which, I was told by an ex-standard dealer, had a road going up it and was used by standard as a test track! although I'm not sure if the cars could actually make it up the track, except maybe the bigger-engined vanguards!)
Yes, these must have been taken when the place was very new. Maybe early 50s as the car in the pic. seems to be a Standard 8/10.
Old 18th November 2011, 20:14   #1985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A street scene in Musoorie. Wish I could get one of these Chevy woodies now. There are newish Tata-Mercedes-Benz busses, and also the older version with the snout.

Cheers harit

That Woodie looks like a Willy's to me Harit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
A really nice old photo of Bombay Airport circa 1967. There is a Standard Van (possibly the 20) seen plus what look like some American trucks/vans used by the airport?

Also a Fiat Millecento and a Ford Consul on the right. 'wonder if they belonged to the airport staff? Considering their parking space is so close to the tarmac!
The pic is described as taken in 67, i do have old memories of the airport around early 70's. Yes, that is the parking lot of the airport staff, right under the viewer's gallery (the pipes of the gallery terrace are visible, probably thats where the pics were taken. Below that would be another place where one could go to see off or receive someone arriving or departing on a plane. Now you're not allowed in the airport without a ticker, a practice only followed in India.
Old 19th November 2011, 11:30   #1986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
That Woodie looks like a Willy's to me Harit.
Indeed, and two Chevy woodies on the right side.

Behind these pictures is written Neyveli, it seems that Neyveli Lignite Corporation in South India had a huge garage, workshop and lots of vehicles, maybe even a transport/bus service.
In the first picture the bus is of D Route, RC Church to Old Colony, the trucks are having single windshield.
In the second picture the double decker bus carries a cigatette advertisement for Lucky Blue and White, it says at the bottom "The Lucky Cigarette". Never heard of this brand, Lucky strikes and Red & White, but not Blue and White. And no health warnings!
There are single decker bussed at the rear, apparently older models and one car which may be an Austin.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-neyveli1.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-neyveli10.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 19th November 2011 at 11:32.
Old 19th November 2011, 18:00   #1987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a group photo of motor sport enthusianst, can there people be identified? I feel that Mr. Rossi of the Ferrari/Alfa/ Lancia fame is the gent in the first row second from right. Here present must be enthusiasts from Madras, Calcutta and Bombay. Cheers harit
A small update on this photo, present are Thakkar brothers from Pune, one of the Gondals, and the head whatever that means of Standard Motors. Still more people are to be identified, maybe Stanher can see who headed Standard Motors? He may be the gent third from right, back row.
This photo may have been taken after an event in Sholavaram.
Posting the photo again for easy reference.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0290tbhp.jpg  

Old 19th November 2011, 18:48   #1988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the head whatever that means of Standard Motors. Still more people are to be identified, maybe Stanher can see who headed Standard Motors? He may be the gent third from right, back row.
You mean the gent standing on the right of the Sardar? If so, he may be K Gopalakrishna, the founder MD of Standard Motors.
Old 20th November 2011, 09:18   #1989
BHPian

The gent third from right, back row is not late Mr.Gopalakrishna, but his son in law late Mr.K.V.Srinivasan who was the chairman of Standard Motors and was also the President of the Madras Motor Sports Club.The location is the old Ballroom of the Connemara Hotel.
C.S.ANANTH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2011, 09:52   #1990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
The gent third from right, back row is not late Mr.Gopalakrishna, but his son in law late Mr.K.V.Srinivasan who was the chairman of Standard Motors and was also the President of the Madras Motor Sports Club.
I didnt KG had more than 1 son-in-law! The only son-in-law of KG I'd known of was C V Karthik Narayan, who was the final Chairman(?) of Stampro before it finally shut down in the 80s. He'd introduced the Standard 2000.
Old 20th November 2011, 10:38   #1991
BHPian

You got it wrong. Mr.Goplakrishna had only one child; a daughter who married Mr.K.V.Srinivasan. Mr Srinivasans son in law is Mr.C.V.Karthiknarayanan
C.S.ANANTH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2011, 10:57   #1992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You got it wrong. Mr.Goplakrishna had only one child; a daughter who married Mr.K.V.Srinivasan. Mr Srinivasans son in law is Mr.C.V.Karthiknarayanan
Glad to have that clarified. I'd read somewhere online that CVK was the son-in-law of KG himself!
Incidentally, IIRC, you had once worked with their other firm UCAL?
Old 20th November 2011, 11:39   #1993
BHPian

Yes.President UCAL Exports ltd & later UCAL JV with Engelhard for automotive catalyst as Mg.Dir.
Old 20th November 2011, 23:01   #1994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A small update on this photo, present are Thakkar brothers from Pune, one of the Gondals, and the head whatever that means of Standard Motors........................Cheers harit
Quote:
The gent third from right, back row is not late Mr.Gopalakrishna, but his son in law late Mr.K.V.Srinivasan who was the chairman of Standard Motors and was also the President of the Madras Motor Sports Club.The location is the old Ballroom of the Connemara Hotel.
Mr Ananth is spot on. I spent an evening with a person who was active in racing and identified these and some more persons. And then I was looking for some more confirmations. A friend of mine tried to post, could not and sent me this mail, some more identifications.

This is what he wanted to post
"On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 7:08 PM, <rdm1985@gmail.com> wrote:

tried to post several times....you think i've been blocked ??? " Harit, thanks for an excellent photograph. Yes, this is prize giving ceremony at The Connemara Hotel...I recognise the legendary Sherif Dyan - the Flying Sherif used to race a Honda 250 & later Yamaha TZ350- 2nd row, 2nd from left & Mr.M.K.Belgamwala 2nd row, 4th from right...former President MMSC. I'll try identify others. "

It is so much more interesting when others respond. BTW mods, has he been blocked?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 20th November 2011 at 23:03.
Old 20th November 2011, 23:36   #1995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These pictures must have been taken when the place was very new.
Cheers harit
I loved the concrete funicular roof structure of the factory. Must've been very modernistic and innovative for the time.. Thanks, Harit !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks