Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2011, 10:47   #1846
DKG
Senior - BHPian

re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

What fabulous pictures Shyam. Please msg me the name of the person who has these pictures on FB. The gentleman in the white sherwani in front of the Purdah Gate is Deen Yar Jung who was the Commissioner of Police. Our white Packard was officially his car and when new was used by his predecessor Rahmat Yar Jung

Good memory Karlos I do have a trailer almost identical to the one you see in the picture. Atleast thanks to this picture I know now that its a genuine vintage trailer alright and not something fabricated recently.

Last edited by DKG : 10th September 2011 at 10:49.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 12:23   #1847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
^ Malabar Hill post office? cya R
Yes, and that building/bungalow still stands, though they have put horrid tiling at the entrance. On the back of the photo it says "At Malabar Hill Bus Stop 1951".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
And, here's a real treasure trove I found in an album posted by someone on facebook........
Lovely pictures. I have earlier seen pictures of this American Press Jeep with trailer, was this not earlier somewhere on t-bhp, or on some site with LIFE Magazine photos? We had discussed this trailer and DKG's sometime ago, as far as I remember.

This is supposed to be Sabita Devi, an Anglo-Indian lady whose real name was Mrs. Patterson. She was a top actress in the 1930's, and seems to have migrated to UK. Cannot find much on her on Google. Was certainly a charming lady.
BTW, the car is a 1937 Oldsmobile

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0217tbhp.jpg  

harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 16:45   #1848
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Yes, and that building/bungalow still stands...
That building/bungalow is Malabar Hill post office, if i'm not mistaken.

I recognized the roof instantly (strange how some places have such a unique feel). On thinking about it further it makes sense, since the BEST bus stop is right opposite, and the bus says flora fountain. Lovely pic.

Cheers,
R
Old 10th September 2011, 18:22   #1849
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Nice pictures Shyam. The GOC in C in the Willys jeep is a Major General (two stars on the star plate). Now a days Area Commanders and sometimes Sub Area Commanders are Maj Generals, while the GOC in C is a Lt General.
The car King Kothi Palace car is a Hillman Minx Phase I- the curves are distinguishable!
There are from a series of pictures taken by LIFE photographer Jack Birns in 1948.

The Jeep is shown with Maj Gen. Syed Ahmed El Edroos of the Hyderabad Army, probably on his way to meet with Lt. Gen Sir Shri Rajendrasinghji (of Bhavnagar ?) and J.N. Chaudhuri of the Indian Army.

Here is a better view of Maj Gen. El Edroos' Buick showing the interesting licence plate:

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-hyderabad-army-buick-frt-large.jpg

pic courtesy: LIFE magazine

Here is another from the same series showing H.E.H. The Nizam and his Ford (?)

Last edited by travancore : 10th September 2011 at 18:43.
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 22:53   #1850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
What fabulous pictures Shyam. Please msg me the name of the person who has these pictures on FB. The gentleman in the white sherwani in front of the Purdah Gate is Deen Yar Jung who was the Commissioner of Police. Our white Packard was officially his car and when new was used by his predecessor Rahmat Yar Jung
I do have a trailer almost identical to the one you see in the picture. Atleast thanks to this picture I know now that its a genuine vintage trailer alright and not something fabricated recently.
Hi DKG,
I'm afraid I cannot recall his name...tried locating the link to the album on FB too. Not able to find it today as the 'general' page keeps getting updated everyday.
Should I find him, will message you for sure.
And interesting to 'see' the previous owner of APX 110(?) I do remember you saying that twas previously owned by the then Hyderabad CP.
Yes the trailer is not fabricated recently but then was it genuinely made that way? To me, this one appeared that it was fashioned out of some American pick-up?

Quote:
Lovely pictures. I have earlier seen pictures of this American Press Jeep with trailer, was this not earlier somewhere on t-bhp, or on some site with LIFE Magazine photos? We had discussed this trailer and DKG's sometime ago, as far as I remember.
Yes it was another pic. maybe of the same trailer, also with someone (maybe the same guy too!) standing on it. But that pic. was from a different angle and showed a different location, Tank Bund or Parade Ground (Secunderabad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
There are from a series of pictures taken by LIFE photographer Jack Birns in 1948.

Here is a better view of Maj Gen. El Edroos' Buick showing the interesting licence plate:
Glad to see a better pic. of the Buick! I was wondering what the numberplate said! Anyone know if this car still survives btw? DKG? Wasif?
Old 11th September 2011, 03:38   #1851
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good memory Karlos I do have a trailer almost identical to the one you see in the picture. Atleast thanks to this picture I know now that its a genuine vintage trailer alright and not something fabricated recently.
Here is the other side of "DKG's" trailer, the one on Tank Bund Road ? Is that the Hyderabad Humber behind ?

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-hyderabad-trailer.jpg
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 10:58   #1852
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Here is the other side of "DKG's" trailer, the one on Tank Bund Road ? Is that the Hyderabad Humber behind ?
Yes, this was the photo posted earlier. And yes, the location is more likely to be Tank Bund rather than Parade Ground (the railing looks identical to the one in the photo I posted and it still exists at TB)
Whose was the Humber btw? The Nizam incidentally had a 1946 (IIRC) Humber Hawk that was later bought by a well-known local Author and Civil Servant Narendra Luther.
Old 11th September 2011, 11:59   #1853
Senior - BHPian

Nice old pics from Hyderabad. I had posted that Life pic with teh Trailer earlier.

There were so many Buicks of that shape in Hyd so its hard to check which is which now. Only an owner will be able to tell.

The nizam actually had quiet a few Humbers incliding the Super Snipe Pullman Limo that was attacked with a bomb near king Kothi.

I would love to know if anyoen knows what happened to Laiq Ali Khans 39 Buick Century that was on sale with a dealer in Sec bad in the alte nineties, It had just coem out of a 40year storage in a walled garage after being used by Laiq Ali the last Hyderabad PM to escape from house arrest in Shah Manzil
Old 11th September 2011, 15:33   #1854
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
I would love to know if anyoen knows what happened to Laiq Ali Khans 39 Buick Century that was on sale with a dealer in Sec bad in the alte nineties, It had just coem out of a 40year storage in a walled garage after being used by Laiq Ali the last Hyderabad PM to escape from house arrest in Shah Manzil
it's still in Hyderabad
Old 11th September 2011, 16:07   #1855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it's still in Hyderabad
Whith whom ? Has it been restored ? Is it possible to post some pics of it or send them to me on email.

I was there when this, tehFord Mode A and teh Adler ( now with Harit ) were taken out of their tomb.

That Buick is a special car as it has a sunroof which is very very rare on a 39 Buick
Old 14th September 2011, 18:26   #1856
Senior - BHPian

A Chevy (this abbreviation is still acceptable) bus in the mountains. This was a small print, and the blue pencil marks must be the frame for which a larger copy was made.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-tbhp.jpg  

Old 14th September 2011, 18:40   #1857
Senior - BHPian

These kind of Chevy's and Dodges were qquiet popular in Indian till quiet recently.

They could be seen as busses and truck form ...Ford Trucks were also plenty but now I guess they are all recycled !
Old 14th September 2011, 20:26   #1858
Senior - BHPian

got this photo from a magazine.Which car is this?
the registration is travancore and the car was from Quilon
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-100_3746.jpg  

Old 14th September 2011, 20:39   #1859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
These kind of Chevy's and Dodges were qquiet popular in Indian till quiet recently.

They could be seen as busses and truck form ...Ford Trucks were also plenty but now I guess they are all recycled !
Quote:
A Chevy (this abbreviation is still acceptable) bus in the mountains. This was a small print, and the blue pencil marks must be the frame for which a larger copy was made.

Cheers harit
Bollywood films of the 1970's and even 1980's feature these 1940's trucks. These were given a fresh lease of life with the Perkins diesel engines after the oil shock, but have now almost totally vanished.Very few are preserved like this one by the L.N. Gupta Transport, Nagpur.This is one of the first bus owned by this firm and they have named it "Rajmata 1942". It still has a petrol engine and is quite original.
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dsc03554.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dsc03556.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dsc03555.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dsc05787.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 02:08   #1860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a Dodge chassis and look closely at the side/indicator lights. They are being misused!!
Cheers harit
Fiat (Dukkar) centre light side indicators? Maybe because it was a Fiat product?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks