Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2011, 23:02   #1786
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Found these very nice period pics. of a Standard Super 10 and a mk1 Herald () online!
While that is a neat shot, did you notice the Rolls Royce Spirit of Ecstacy on the hood?
Old 6th August 2011, 23:57   #1787
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
While that is a neat shot, did you notice the Rolls Royce Spirit of Ecstacy on the hood?
Why am I not surprised you noticed it?

But for all we know, it couldve been some fake too!
Old 8th August 2011, 15:55   #1788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Sirjee, velly good
........The Chevy is not a Nova, but a Chevy Studio. I have pictures of similar props which were quite popular. Will put up next week............. The next picture is a Parsi Fire temple, I suspect it is the one near the corner of Princess street, coming from Metro Cinema. The passing car is likely an Amby, slight chance it is a Hillman, and a horse carriage just went by. Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Yes sir , it is indeed Hillman Minx..... No sir, this fire temple must be somewhere else because the one you are mentioing has main gate quite inside and away from the main road and has a huge compound to park cars, unlike this one in the picture. You may find some classics in this compound along with regular Marutis, skodas, fiats etc.
Below are some prop pictures.
The fire temple you mention has a compound, I was refering to the one on the opposite side when you walk towards Metro Cinema, that is a no-entry road and the temple has no compound.

These pictures below were studio/funfair props.
One is a 1968 Sangam ** model, with a bit of imagination one could think of a Pontiac, but an early 1960's model. The driver is in full form, showing off.
Then the Buick of 1968, the registration is early period not suitably age related. And he seems to be making an effort to maximise the distance from her.
The last aeroplane with reserved rights came from someone known, hence faces blanked out. This is a plane with reserved rights, unlike our national carrier for whom all has been dereserved and is heading for a hard landing.

Cheers to props, harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-family-005-.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-family-006a.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-family-007a.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 17:35   #1789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One is a 1968 Sangam ** model, with a bit of imagination one could think of a Pontiac, but an early 1960's model.
Sangam might have been the name of the artist who created this prop, for all we know!
Old 8th August 2011, 19:50   #1790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Below are some prop pictures.
The fire temple you mention has a compound, I was refering to the one on the opposite side when you walk towards Metro Cinema, that is a no-entry road and the temple has no compound.

These pictures below were studio/funfair props.
One is a 1968 Sangam ** model, with a bit of imagination one could think of a Pontiac, but an early 1960's model. The driver is in full form, showing off.
Then the Buick of 1968, the registration is early period not suitably age related. And he seems to be making an effort to maximise the distance from her.
The last aeroplane with reserved rights came from someone known, hence faces blanked out. This is a plane with reserved rights, unlike our national carrier for whom all has been dereserved and is heading for a hard landing.

Cheers to props, harit
Harit ji, now if this goes on like this then we must start another thread and maybe name could be according to me and my imagination
"Card board cars of yesteryears." .
Old 8th August 2011, 20:32   #1791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fresh after their Shadi?
Please coment on the car, have not figured it out.
Cheers harit
Surely a Dodge, Desto or a Plymouth of the mid to late 50's, perhaps a Studebaker too, judging by the door handle.

Quote:
Hi friends, today I located some of very rare old photos
Awesome pics Veerji, best of all the heavily modded Chevy.

Last edited by V-16 : 8th August 2011 at 20:41.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 20:46   #1792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Surely a Dodge or a Plymouth, perhaps a Studebaker too, judging by the door handle.

Awesome pics Veerji, best of all the heavily modded Chevy.
Veerji, infact the restoration and heavy MODDS on it was done at a reliable and a big garage in bombay in those days, and all ideas of changes to be made were given by me.
You may see the expression on my wife's face it is saying "Unnecessarily money spent on the car ,instead I could have made a nice set of gold Bangles or a Gold HAAR.".
Old 9th August 2011, 18:45   #1793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harit ji, now if this goes on like this then we must start another thread ..........."Card board cars of yesteryears." .
Good, idea, but I have no more than these.

Quote:
................"Unnecessarily money spent on the car ,instead I could have made a nice set of gold Bangles or a Gold HAAR.".
Iqbalji, please note that spending time and money on cars often keep one away from mischief. It is money well spent.

Here is a Fiat. Background seems suitable for Mahableshwar, Pune, typical bungalow type of housing. Note those bellbots

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-family-008.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 9th August 2011 at 18:48.
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 09:04   #1794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good, idea, but I have no more than these.

Iqbalji, please note that spending time and money on cars often keep one away from mischief. It is money well spent.

Here is a Fiat. Background seems suitable for Mahableshwar, Pune, typical bungalow type of housing. Note those bellbots

Cheers harit
OK Sir ji, but this will prompt others to dig out their old cabinets,Sandooks,trunks etc etc and post the same category .
I am dead sure there may be hundreds of photos yet to be posted. Regards.......
Old 12th August 2011, 19:24   #1795
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars

Images of old Mumbai-Bombay from the previous century and even older:
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1864_2storeyedcarriage2baroda.jpg
1864-a two storeyed carriage to travel from Bombay to Baroda
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1915-vtstn.jpg
1915 VT Station
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1920-vtstn.jpg
VT Station 1920's
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-vtstn.jpg
VT Station
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-borahbazaar1935.jpg
Borah Bazar
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-marine-drive.jpg
Marine Drive
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-hornbyroad.jpg
Hornby Road
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-central-telephone-bldg.jpg
Central Telephone Building
Name:  MercantileBankLtd.jpg
Views: 2230
Size:  41.5 KB
Mercantile Bank Building
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-queens-road-backbay.jpg
Queen's Row, Backbay
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-rampartrowwatsonshotel.jpg
Rampart Row, Watsons Hotel
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-21847.jpg
Celebrations 21-08-1947 post Independence Day
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-road-jn.jpg
A Road Junction
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-tajmahalhotel.jpg
Taj Mahal Hotel which was built in 1903
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dryfoodshop.jpg
A dry food shop in Bombay

Source Rediffnews

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 12th August 2011 at 19:41.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2011, 17:53   #1796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Images of old Mumbai-Bombay from the previous century and even older: Source Rediffnews
Hi, nice pictures. Can you give the link please?
Some comments:

Picture no 6 (counting the sketch as No.1), the Daimler does not seem to be in Mumbai. Marine Drive was built in 1920, this car is of about 1910 and looks fresh. The clothes do not match, I doubt that fishing was done from the parapet. Also, the car is parked on the wrong side of the road, and marine drive has a center partition.

Picture no 7, Hornby Road is today's DN Road, running between fountain and VT station.

Picture no 8 is wrongly identified. This is the Western Railway Headquarter building opposite to Churchgate station, next to ACC Cement House. Mumbai had no Central Telephone Building, it was the Central Telegraph Office (popularly known as CTO).

Picture no 10, Queens Row backbay is not in India. The cars are on the wrong side. If the picture is reversed, then the scenery does not match. Backbay would have been nearer to Cuffe Parade, the bay where the 26/11 terrorists landed. There are no such building there, though these buildings do resemble Marine Drive, it is not because of that mansion second from left.

Picture 11 Rampart Row shows the road leading from Kala Ghoda towards Regal Cinema, the buildings from the right start with Watsons Hotel, Army & Navy Building (now housing Westside Store), David Sasoon Library, Elphinstone college, etc.

Picture 13, "a junction" is Byculla Khada Parsi, this picture was seen before in another link. The fire station is nearby, and there are flyovers.

Picture 15 is out of place period wise, see the high rise building in the gap. And this looks more like a ration shop than a dry fruit store.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 13th August 2011 at 18:00.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2011, 17:58   #1797
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, nice pictures. an you give the link?
Some comments:

Picture no 6 (counting the sketch as No.1), the Daimler does not seem to be in Mumbai. Marine Drive was built in 1920, this car is of about 1910 and looks fresh. The clothes do not match, I doubt that fishing was done from the parapet. Also, the car is parked on the wrong side of the road, and marine drive has a center partition.

Picture no 7, Hornby Road is today's DN Road, running between fountain and VT station.

Picture no 8 is wrongly identified. This is the Western Railway Headquarter building opposite to Churchgate station, next to ACC Cement House. Mumbai had no Central Telephone Building, it was the Central Telegraph Office (popularly known as CTO).

Picture no 10, Queens Row backbay is not in India. The cars are on the wrong side. If the picture is reversed, then the scenery does not match. Backbay would have been nearer to Cuffe Parade, the bay where the 26/11 terrorists landed. There are no such building there, though these buildings do resemble Marine Drive, it is not because of that mansion second from left.

Picture 11 Rampart Row shows the road leading from Kala Ghoda towards Regal Cinema, the buildings from the right start with Watsons Hotel, Army & Navy Building (now housing Westside Store), David Sasoon Library, Elphinstone college, etc.

Picture 13, "a junction" is Byculla Khada Parsi, this picture was seen before in another link. The fire station is nearby, and there are flyovers.

Picture 15 is out of place period wise, see the high rise building in the gap. And this looks more like a ration shop than a dry fruit store.

Cheers harit
Thanks harit for the explanations and justifications. I have just pasted the titles from the source pictures. May be some are not labelled properly.
The last picture could be the Colaba Causeway of now?
Old 13th August 2011, 18:28   #1798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Images of old Mumbai-Bombay from the previous century and even older:
Attachment 592130
1864-a two storeyed carriage to travel from Bombay to Baroda
Attachment 592131
1915 VT Station
Attachment 592132
VT Station 1920's
Attachment 592142
VT Station
Attachment 592133
Borah Bazar
Attachment 592134
Marine Drive
Attachment 592135
Hornby Road
Attachment 592136
Central Telephone Building
Attachment 592137
Mercantile Bank Building
Attachment 592138
Queen's Row, Backbay
Attachment 592139
Rampart Row, Watsons Hotel
Attachment 592140
Celebrations 21-08-1947 post Independence Day
Attachment 592141
A Road Junction
Attachment 592143
Taj Mahal Hotel which was built in 1903
Attachment 592151
A dry food shop in Bombay

Source Rediffnews
Anjan ji, Thanks a million for those rare photos, compare the traffic situation of today with some locations which has same blds still existing.
I must be 5 to 6yrs old when I have seen a person from BEST coming in our lane to switch ON . light the street lights working on PIPED GAS.
He used to carry a long stick and used to shift a lever on the top of the light to ignite fixture having a clear glass bowl, inside there used to be a MANTLE which used to get illuminated and slowly start glowing.
In the morning again same guy used to reverse the process to extinguish the street light.
In about 3 times in a month they used to clean the glass bowl of the soot collected due to full night burning of the light,and to replace the MANTLE in it.Those were real good times yaar , total peaceful life unlike today.

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 13th August 2011 at 18:30.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2011, 18:40   #1799
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OK Sir ji, but this will prompt others to dig out their old cabinets,Sandooks,trunks etc etc and post the same category .
I am dead sure there may be hundreds of photos yet to be posted. Regards.......
I have had a very, very hearty laugh reading about Sandooks and Bandooks Sirji !
Quote:
Anjan ji, Thanks a million for those rare photos, compare the traffic situation of today with some locations which has same blds still existing.
I must be 5 to 6yrs old when I have seen a person from BEST coming in our lane to switch ON . light the street lights working on PIPED GAS.
He used to carry a long stick and used to shift a lever on the top of the light to ignite fixture having a clear glass bowl, inside there used to be a MANTLE which used to get illuminated and slowly start glowing.
In the morning again same guy used to reverse the process to extinguish the street light.
In about 3 times in a month they used to clean the glass bowl of the soot collected due to full night burning of the light,and to replace the MANTLE in it.Those were real good times yaar , total peaceful life unlike today.
Thanks for the nostalgic memories Sirji.The earliest buses I remember having seen in Bombay were the double-decker OM 41702 Leyland buses, with their classic looks.
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-3742d.jpg
Picture source chezbois
The buses you are relating to must have had acetylene lamps.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2011, 19:18   #1800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have had a very, very hearty laugh reading about Sandooks and Bandooks Sirji !

Thanks for the nostalgic memories Sirji.The earliest buses I remember having seen in Bombay were the double-decker OM 41702 Leyland buses, with their classic looks.
Attachment 592315
Picture source chezbois
The buses you are relating to must have had acetylene lamps.
Yes Sir, and the routes of the BEST buses used to be A which is todays 1, A1 was todays 4 ltd, route D which is todays 61, route J3 is todays 315.
This is all I can compare but there used to be routes like.
F,G,K,N,R,
Some of the buses were of having clutch system of fluide drive..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks