Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2011, 22:26   #1906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
A tbhpian has been teasing us with a similar car. This picture has been taken in Bombay, only not clear about the location. It may be along DN Road, or MG Road. Let us have some suggestions. It is raining, umbrellas are out, hence the background is not clear.
BTW, that car in the Stude thread is destined to come to Mumbai

Cheers harit

The location maybe from a tram, travelling towards DN Road, on the left should be VT station, the building ahead could be Capitol Cinema, and the corner building on the right is before the Municipal headquarters. This is still only an educated guess.
Yes sir, you are absolutely right all locations pointed ot by you are correct and almost all of them still exist.
Those cables above are power lines for the Trams. The Tram ticket from Boribundar (V.T.) till kings circle used to be Char anna (25 n.p.).

I suppose as I heard it from my mother who expired last year in sept after aprolonged cancer, she was a young and beautiful lady of 86 yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
A collection of really lovely old pics. of Madras I found in a facebook album.

Ironically though, despite looking hard there were very few I could find with Standards in them!

The Mayflower was said to have belonged to Indu Chandok of the MMSC (Madras Motor Sports Club), if I'm not mistaken his grandson is the rally driver Karun Chandok.
The car MSZ 3624, same model car was owned by a very popular producer director KEDAR SHARMA who made good films .
One of them was Hamari yaad ayegi.
The car he had was black in colour and he used to stay in Mahim.
He died many years ago .

Last edited by karlosdeville : 11th October 2011 at 13:17. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 18th October 2011, 17:38   #1907
sat
BHPian

I wish we could see a little more of the car.

L to R - Umaid Singh of Shahpura, Sardar Singh of Shahpura, Maj General Maharaja Sajjan Singh of Ratlam, Rajadhiraj Nahar Singh of Shahpura (with walking stick)

"Rajadhiraj Nahar Singhji, 1870 - 1932. A hugely energetic and kind hearted man, who took his position as guardian of his people very seriously, immediately began the transformation of his little state. He built hospitals, schools and roads which transformed his state out of all recognition. He established a system of local government with a large measure of representation, modeled on the London County Council and encouraged public participation in state affairs. During a period of serious drought he mortgaged his property & family jewels in order to construct two large irrigation tanks (6 sq mile lakes ) named Nahar Sagar and Umaid Sagar for the people of shahpura. Not only did they help alleviate its worst effects but these lakes transformed the region."
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-spura-pig-stick-email-c.jpg  

Old 18th October 2011, 17:55   #1908
Senior - BHPian

re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Nic period shot, looks like an early RR Ghost ?
Old 22nd October 2011, 18:38   #1909
Senior - BHPian

Please refer to the post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ic-cars-7.html

In that post, among the smaller pictures was this picture, which I am attaching below.
I recently managed to lay my hands on a whole lot of pictures dealing with Motor sports in India. Areas covered seem to be Chennai, Pune, Kolkatta. 7 Fiat"s raced with 2 Herald"s. The guy on the extreme right seems to be getting ready for cricket, after one lap hopefully he moved out of the way. Many of these pictures have the stamp and ordering no of the photographer at the back, must be for reordering. So perhaps these pictures are available with many. I will put up pictures from time to time.
Here is the full picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-motor-sport-001tbhp.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 22nd October 2011 at 18:39.
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2011, 14:32   #1910
BHPian

Harit, the guy in the rear is not holding a cricket bat , but he is holding the marshalls or starters flag. When the start pistol was fireddrivers had to run and get into the car,switch on & then the race started.

In that picture MSZ 3624 Triumph Mayflower is perhaps being checked in by a Marshall in one of Madras Motor Sports Club Rallies. If I am correct, MSZ 3624 was owned by Mr.Indu Chandok.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 24th October 2011 at 10:20. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 23rd October 2011, 20:59   #1911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
If I am correct, MSZ 3624 was owned by Mr.Indu Chandok.
Yes, it was. It was featured in The Hindu as well once, with the same photo:

The Hindu : Life & Style / Metroplus : Down racing lane
Old 24th October 2011, 12:29   #1912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harit, the guy in the rear is not holding a cricket bat , but he is holding the marshalls or starters flag.............. In that picture MSZ 3624 Triumph Mayflower is perhaps being checked in by a Marshall in one of Madras Motor Sports Club Rallies................
I was joking about cricket, but how come that the Mayflower was participating in an event without a competition number?
Here is a group photo of motor sport enthusianst, can there people be identified? I feel that Mr. Rossi of the Ferrari/Alfa?Lancia fame is the gent in the first row second from right. Here present must be enthusiasts from Madras, Calcutta and Bombay.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0290tbhp.jpg  

Old 24th October 2011, 13:48   #1913
BHPian

Club rallies were strictly only for the members.Thus there were no competition numbers those days.Such rallies were run within the city.
Old 24th October 2011, 17:30   #1914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Club rallies were strictly only for the members.Thus there were no competition numbers those days.Such rallies were run within the city.
Thanks for your reply. We are always learning something new on t-bhp. Were these club rallies actually held on open (public) roads?

This race in the picture below involves Heralds and a Standard 10. I doubt whether any of these cars survive, but the lineup is interesting. Also there is a Minor!

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0289tbhp.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 24th October 2011 at 17:31.
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 17:42   #1915
J.Ravi

Quote:
Were these club rallies actually held on open (public) roads?
In Madras until 1970s, such rallies used to be held at the disused Sholavaram airstrip. Details are here.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 24th October 2011 at 17:46.

Old 24th October 2011, 18:01   #1916
BHPian

You are mistaken.The picture you have sent is one of early racing at Sholavaram. It was the disused Air strip.One can see the temporary stands in the background. The rallies for club members were held on the city roads. Many years later,races were held with classifications;subject to FMSCI regulations and the South India rallies were cross country attracting entries from all over India. I have participated in the later years races as well as the South India rally. I was associated with Madras Motor Sports Club as an official at the races and rallies and hence I know for sure.
Old 24th October 2011, 21:10   #1917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This race in the picture below involves Heralds and a Standard 10. I doubt whether any of these cars survive, but the lineup is interesting. Also there is a Minor!
Nice pic. but really sad about the cars! The Heralds especially look so crudely done up!
I suppose that was all the race drivers could afford back then.

Yes, 'also doubt if they do survive!
Old 25th October 2011, 13:26   #1918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....... I was associated with Madras Motor Sports Club as an official at the races and rallies and hence I know for sure.
Since you were associated with Motor Sports, could you identify any of the people in the picture posted earlier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Nice pic. but really sad about the cars! The Heralds especially look so crudely done up! I suppose that was all the race drivers could afford back then. Yes, 'also doubt if they do survive!
I believe that there were many problems associated in racing, one of them being non-availability of suitable sports cars, it was not only lack of funds. A Herald with its roof removed did appear to be a bit sporty and when the engine was tweaked it was faster too. The last race which I saw in Juhu had a Fiat 125, some specials and a Maserati pitted against each other. I am sure that more Heralds would have survived if the company made an effort to build quality cars in the first place. The Heralds in India were supplied with a unique accessory called RUST.

Here is a nice picture of a Sunbeam Alpine with a hardtop. The car in the background is however more interesting. Any guesses? Can anyone identify the building from the design in the wall below the window? Lets hear some suggestion on the identity of the car.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0299tbhp.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 13:34   #1919
Senior - BHPian

Harit...thats an american car, most likely a GM product ....my guess is a Buick
Old 25th October 2011, 15:17   #1920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Harit...my guess is a Buick
Sorry, wrong, but correct direction. Any more suggestions?

Here is another racing Herald, would have looked nicer if it could carry one of the formula 1 drivers around the circuit. A genuine Indian racer which raced in India, some of the cars put up there are just there for the sake of being there, no sporting credentials, some not even so in appearance. More on that later.
This Herald was Andhra registered, does anyone know about the driver?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-motor-sport-004tbhp.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 25th October 2011 at 15:19.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks