Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2011, 19:02   #1861
Senior - BHPian

re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Bollywood films of the 1970's and even 1980's feature these 1940's trucks. These were given a fresh lease of life with the Perkins diesel engines after the oil shock, but have now almost totally vanished.Very few are preserved like this one by the L.N. Gupta Transport, Nagpur.This is one of the first bus owned by this firm and they have named it "Rajmata 1942". It still has a petrol engine and is quite original.
Attachment 609579

Attachment 609580

Attachment 609581

Attachment 609582
there was a similar CHEVROLET truck with a charitable trust in daily service in Trivandrum city till 1982
Old 16th September 2011, 00:30   #1862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bollywood films of the 1970's and even 1980's feature these 1940's trucks. These were given a fresh lease of life with the Perkins diesel engines after the oil shock, but have now almost totally vanished.Very few are preserved like this one by the L.N. Gupta Transport, Nagpur.This is one of the first bus owned by this firm and they have named it "Rajmata 1942". It still has a petrol engine and is quite original.
Attachment 609579

Attachment 609580

Attachment 609581

Attachment 609582
I appreciate this firm for saving and maintaining this beauty, kids of this generation wouldn't even have a clue what would a old bus look like though they see these images in old books, even the kindergarten books have got the US bus images these days, I wonder Rajmata is still on petrol engine and I thank the transport company for maintaining her perfectly. Next good stuff to restore the one BEST bus from good old Bombay and the double Decker of APSRTC here in A.P. Hope someone is getting ideas from me.

Last edited by chanu : 16th September 2011 at 00:32.
Old 17th September 2011, 12:09   #1863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
got this photo from a magazine.Which car is this?
the registration is travancore and the car was from Quilon
Picture is not clear enough for identification, should be a British car, not American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Fiat (Dukkar) centre light side indicators? Maybe because it was a Fiat product?
The Dodge truck and Dukkar were both made by Premier Automobiles, so shared a parts bin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
These kind of Chevy's and Dodges were quite popular in India till quite recently. They could be seen as busses and truck form ...Ford Trucks were also plenty but now I guess they are all recycled !
Quote:
Bollywood films of the 1970's ........
These Chevy trucks were dieselised and used for all kinds of transport, including used as open garbage trucks. The side boards were extended so that more garbage could go in. And then a simple sheet was used as a cover.
Here are two more Chevy trucks. Why were they photographed beats me, but here are reference pictures of what commercial transport was like in those years.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-commercial-004tbhp.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-commercial-005tbhp.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 17th September 2011 at 12:11.
Old 17th September 2011, 17:56   #1864
Senior - BHPian

These are two Monuments which have to be identified. One has lettering in Gujrati.
There is a nice Vanguard to be seen. So let us have suggestions.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-monument-003tbhp.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-monument-004bthp.jpg  

Old 17th September 2011, 22:42   #1865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
These are two Monuments which have to be identified. One has lettering in Gujrati.
There is a nice Vanguard to be seen.
AND a Super 10 taxi in the second pic. if you notice closely!

I reckon the second pic. to be Madras, definitely looks like the South going by the "veshti" (white lungi) clad men seen. Besides of course the Standard taxi.
Old 18th September 2011, 01:49   #1866
BHPian

Priceless pics! I've a couple of my ancestors one is a Rolls with old Hyderabad number plate "H"and the other a tourer. Can someone help me identify the cars/types please! Cheers!
Old 18th September 2011, 10:17   #1867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Khan View Post
Priceless pics! I've a couple of my ancestors one is a Rolls with old Hyderabad number plate "H"and the other a tourer. Can someone help me identify the cars/types please! Cheers!
Post the pictres and I m sure you will have someone ID the cars for you and mayb even tell you where they are presenty !
Old 19th September 2011, 00:24   #1868
BHPian

Here are the pics...any info on the Rolls and the Tourer and the sedan in the background will be much appreciated. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-2.jpg  

Vintage Khan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 07:28   #1869
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here are the pics...any info on the Rolls and the Tourer and the sedan in the background will be much appreciated. Cheers!
Thanks Vintage Khan for these wonderful pictures and welcome the the Forum. I have post the RR picture under the RR Thread (Pre-War) so that the RR experts can identify the same. I am posting the link as you are a newbie http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...ml#post2510821

Please do give some history about this car. What you and your family know will be important to trace this car. Who was the owner in your family and who is the person in front of the car, all this would help. Please post in the RR thread.

Cheers

KPS
Old 19th September 2011, 09:50   #1870
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics Khan .....could you share who were your ancestors who owned the Rolls.

I am not much of an expert on ID'ing a Rolls but that car is very interesting. It might eb a 20/25 or a Phantom I.

The lights are Stephen Gerbel from France and that front bumper looks like its a local addition.

The tourer looks like a Dodge or Studebaker to me but again not sure.

Please post some family history so maybe we can place the cars
Old 19th September 2011, 11:26   #1871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have commented on the Rolls in the Rolls thread. The bumper appears to be from a 1940's Packard. Lets wait for more comments. Somehow I have the feeling that there may be more pictures available here.

These three pictures are from around 1970, on man who was photographed at the Gateway and the Marine Drive flyover. In the background we see the Malabar Hill skyline, Grand Paradi apts already standing tall. Just who was this guy? We may never know.
This picture of the gateway is quite clear, one could read a part of the inscription.
And the naughty man is riding his bike the wrong way on the flyover
Whether the guys in the 2nd and 3rd photo are the same I am not 100% sure, but the advertisement on the pole is the same, at least the photos were taken at similar times.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-bombay-008tbhp.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0255tbhp.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-bombay-010tbhp.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 19th September 2011 at 11:33.
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 12:04   #1872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Whith whom ? Has it been restored ? Is it possible to post some pics of it or send them to me on email.
I was there when this, the Ford Model A and the Adler ( now with Harit ) were taken out of their tomb. That Buick is a special car as it has a sunroof which is very very rare on a 39 Buick
Bombay had a 1939 Buick Eight with a sunroof. Here are pictures. The "K" registration was the last single alphabet series before the new act of 1939 came into being and all cars were re-registered in Bombay with a new series starting with BMW. My 1939 Buick was also originally "K" registered, I know as I have the original registration book.
This Buick was with a Parsi gent whom I would really like to identify, I have a lot of pictures of him with other cars and many bikes.
Some interior pictures of this Buick are very nice, and probably the building with is seen through the car is Hotel Greens.
Apparently pictures 1 & 4 were taken at the same time.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-parsi-001tbhp.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-parsi-003tbhp.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-parsi-004tbhp.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by harit : 19th September 2011 at 12:08.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 12:15   #1873
BHPian

Given below is the scant information available about this Roll Royce

The Rolls Royce pictured once belonged to the brother of my mother’s maternal grandfather. His name was Habeeb (possibly the one posing with car). He was the son of a Hyderabadi nobleman Rasool Yar Jung who lived in the famed Machli Kamaan Ki Dewdi next to the Shahran Hotel on Pathergatti, Hyderabad - Deccan, India.

Legend has it that the Nizam was so vexed with the numerous complaints he received about this man’s driving adventures & excesses that his driving license was revoked. More intriguing is the story of the reinstating of his License which goes like this. It appears that the Nizam once fell sick and a doctor had to be called on urgently. When the coterie around the Nizam started looking for someone who could do the job in no time, the name of this gentleman was suggested. He was then entrusted with the job of speeding up to the Royal physician to bring him to the palace. Holding an invalid license but powered by an order to over speed, he eventually did what he did best. He drove super fast to the royal physician and brought him to the ruler. Consequently, the Nizam recovered from his illness and was so pleased with his proficient driving & his timely help that he ordered that his license be reinstated.

Any information about this car is most welcome.

Wondered if records of the RTA can be accessed to trace the whereabouts of this Rolls? Details such as the Chasis #, Car #, Color, Date of Import and the list of owners etc would be good to know.

Cheers!
Vintage Khan
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1.jpg  

Vintage Khan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 16:53   #1874
Senior - BHPian

Harit.

The 39 Buick in Hyderabad, the ex laiq Ali Buick was a Century and there were very few of those made with a sun roof, what is refered to as turret top.

I am not sure if the sun roof was considered rare on the 39 Supers, will find out and get back to you.

Is your 39 Buick a convertible ?
Old 19th September 2011, 17:38   #1875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
There is a nice Vanguard to be seen. So let us have suggestions.

Cheers harit
The first one is the Moore Market which is on the right side of the Chennai Central station and the lettering says Moore Angaadi in tamil. This building was destroyed in a fire in mid 80s. The second picture is the headquarters of the Southern Railway which is again located to the LHS of the station.
Jai3033 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks