Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2011, 11:46   #1726
Senior - BHPian

re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Mr.Harit, yes I agree with you, also Adler making Typewritters. Please post pictures of your Adlers and Buick. Cheers!
Hi, see
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...s-india-3.html where my 2 Adlers are seen.
That Buick is not with me.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 11:26   #1727
Senior - BHPian

Pictures of a Friends family Austin 7 from Hyderabad
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-246913_2026815866637_1131265501_2444675_4426344_n.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-247363_2026816226646_1131265501_2444677_8031081_n.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-248581_2026815106618_1131265501_2444673_562603_n.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-254217_2026816026641_1131265501_2444676_1077803_n.jpg  

wasif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 14:58   #1728

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Please check this Mercedes-Benz Bus. It is a PMT (Pune) bus in front of Shanvar Wada. The bus has the side roof windows. A very nice bus indeed.

Cheers harit
Harit Sir,
a very small request.You picutre are good but the only thing is your name ie: @ haritappears on the centr of the photos obstructing the view.next time can you please try putting it where there is empty space or either of the corners...just a suggestion sir...
PareshOswal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 16:39   #1729
Senior - BHPian

Well, the boy in turban is me.
The pic is taken on Raksha-bandhan day, probably around 1976-77, when my dad was working in Madurai.
The story goes that we three were the most fluent TAMIL speaking Sikh kids when we went back to Punjab.

..and ofcourse our black beauty behind us:
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-37127_500046501928_783441928_6945265_3758651_n.jpg

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 14:42   #1730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PareshOswal View Post
Harit Sir,
a very small request. Your pictures are good but the only thing is your name ie: @ harit appears on the center of the photos obstructing the view. Next time can you please try putting it where there is empty space or either of the corners...just a suggestion sir...
What is wrong with my name
I get what you mean. But you see, many of these pictures are purchased by me and I do not want them going around. It has happened with the Bhopal Bentley picture gave to the Bentley site, someone in Australia put it up with stupid comments.
But, when I have a an old picture of a car which exists today, I do give the owner a copy. And if someone asks for a clear print, I do send amny times. And normally I put my mark so that the larger picture of the subject is not disturbed.

Here is a Hearse, the company is Lawrence & Co, mentioned on the door. This looks like an ugly modification on a Dodge type of truck of the later 1950's. No idea who is being carted away. Note Dev Anand's movie Guide being advertised.

If Lawrence and Co exists and they were to ask, I would give them a clear picture.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-truck-01.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 17th June 2011 at 14:44.
Old 17th June 2011, 15:31   #1731

Quote:
What is wrong with my name
I get what you mean. But you see, many of these pictures are purchased by me and I do not want them going around. It has happened with the Bhopal Bentley picture gave to the Bentley site, someone in Australia put it up with stupid comments.
But, when I have a an old picture of a car which exists today, I do give the owner a copy. And if someone asks for a clear print, I do send amny times. And normally I put my mark so that the larger picture of the subject is not disturbed.

Here is a Hearse, the company is Lawrence & Co, mentioned on the door. This looks like an ugly modification on a Dodge type of truck of the later 1950's. No idea who is being carted away. Note Dev Anand's movie Guide being advertised.

If Lawrence and Co exists and they were to ask, I would give them a clear picture.

Cheers harit
I agree to you..thanx for explaining..
Old 17th June 2011, 18:34   #1732
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
if someone asks for a clear print, I do send amny times.
This makes me remind you harit, of a similar recent request from yours truly regarding some of your Herald photos, which I'd pm'd and even emailed to you amny- er- many times!

Still awaiting your response.

PS: @others, apologies for the cross-posting here!

Quote:
Here is a Hearse, the company is Lawrence & Co, mentioned on the door. This looks like an ugly modification on a Dodge type of truck of the later 1950's.
I reckon this was a late 50s Fargo pick-up. A similar vehicle was seen here in hyd. by a fellow team bhpian recently, he even uploaded some pics. but I forgot which thread. It was painted yellow and was a pick-up truck though, but could be the same vehicle as the modified front end was stirkingly similar to this one's. He said it was said to be in use for film shootings.
Old 21st June 2011, 12:50   #1733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
This makes me remind you harit, of a similar recent request from yours truly regarding some of your Herald photos, which I'd pm'd and even emailed to you amny- er- many times!

Still awaiting your response. PS: @others, apologies for the cross-posting here!
Oh boy, have I not given you pictures already? Maybe not all, but definitley some.

Citroens seem to be the flavour, specifically the Traction Avant. While all the existing ones are slowly revealing themselves in a separate thread, these cars were also running as every day cars. Some have used them extensively for tours, roof carriers were fitted. This one Parsi family went all over with their car, I got a picture of their car carrying a full luggauge load on the roof from Bangalore!
Anyone recognizes that church?
The two pictures at the bottom are NOT the same car.
Enjoy these pictures.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-citroen-076.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-citroen-06.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-citroen-05.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-citroen-04.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 21st June 2011 at 12:52.
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:17   #1734
Senior - BHPian

In the olden days, not every one could afford a car or a bike. And so when transport was needed, the humble bicycle had to do. This couple does not appear to have been fitness freaks. This period shot may have been taken on the beach.
I have seen, but rarely, tandem bikes which two could ride, one behind the other. I wonder if any tandem bikes are around. In todays times that would be a sheer novelty, if a bit unsafe.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-cycle-01.jpg  

Old 22nd June 2011, 20:47   #1735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the olden days, not every one could afford a car or a bike. And so when transport was needed, the humble bicycle had to do. This couple does not appear to have been fitness freaks. This period shot may have been taken on the beach.
I have seen, but rarely, tandem bikes which two could ride, one behind the other. I wonder if any tandem bikes are around. In todays times that would be a sheer novelty, if a bit unsafe.

Cheers harit
Again a picture frozen in time.. The cycle appears to be a Raleigh Rod brake roadster, from what is visible from the cotter. Is it possible to show a enlarged view of the cotter?
Old 22nd June 2011, 23:36   #1736
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh boy, have I not given you pictures already? Maybe not all, but definitley some.
Well, definitely NOT any of the HERALD ones (yet!), sir!

You can refer to my last few pms and emails to know which ones I asked for.

Anyways, moving back to the thread topic, here is a small but very nice old pic. lent to me today by a lady who's our family friend (and formerly one of our neighbours) of a '55-56 Fiat Millecento that was owned by her father at Madras. That's her (left) standing by the car, her mother on the other side and 2 of her sisters sitting on the bonnet. I didnt ask her yet when this photo was taken but possibly late 50s. The car would've still been brand new then. Also going by the AA badge on the grille, her father was a member of AA. She distinctly recalls that this car was Black, although it looks a tad lighter shade in this pic., maybe because of the light/flash etc.

Incidentally, she happened to be from quite a well-off family, her father originally having been a Tamil film producer, and I was told this was one of 5 cars that he owned then! But she said that this was her father's favourite car and he never let anyone touch it, always drove it himself!

She wasnt able to recall any of the others in much detail, but from her description, 2 of them were a Ford and an Austin 7. She couldn't recall if there are any photos of those around. But she often mentioned having an old photo of her taken with '2566' somewhere at home, so I was after her since, until she found it in an album of similar old small photos and showed me today! She was very kind to let me have it to scan/copy and return to her. She even asked if I could try getting it scanned in a slightly bigger sized copy for herself.

Her father even had (presumably after this car) a Pennant in the same colour combo as mine (cream & blue), and finally a 60s Ford Anglia, which, I was told, he eventually sold for a princely sum of Rs. 800/-!!!
He gave the Pennant to his son-in-law, ie. this lady's husband (who also had a '62 Companion that he brought to hyd. and sold in 1972- eventually bought by me in 2008!) and he later returned the Pennant to his FIL, who then gave it to another son-in-law (husband of one of the sisters in the photo) who eventually also returned it. She said her sister might have some old pics. of that car.

:sigh: how I wish I too had such old photos from my own family to share!

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_8969.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd June 2011 at 23:47.
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 01:30   #1737
BHPian

Hi!

Here are a couple of bicycle photos dated 1903 taken in Belgaum.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-cycle-praiare.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-bicycle-rider.jpg

I have always been fascinated by automotive technology including the bicycle. But given a choice to choose between the two mode of transport in above picture, I would take Solomon the horse!

regards

-invinci
invinci is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 01:21   #1738
BHPian

Here is a picture of Gateway of India. It seems to me around mid thirties. Mohaan
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-photo-2.jpg  

Old 27th June 2011, 15:50   #1739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Again a picture frozen in time.. The cycle appears to be a Raleigh Rod brake roadster, from what is visible from the cotter. Is it possible to show a enlarged view of the cotter?
Is this cotter somewhere in this picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-cotter.jpg  

Old 30th June 2011, 10:53   #1740
Senior - BHPian

A Parsi family with their Dodge/Plymouth in the background. There must have been a ceremony.
So many pictures with so many Parsi families and as yet none identified. There were never too many Parsi's, and today the present generation has not figured out who they were. Possibly there is no family left and their artefacts were thrown out. That is sad.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-parsi-family-001.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks