Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2012, 16:09   #2476
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Khan View Post
This car once belonged to the reputed business in the background (Prabath Automobiles) at Afzal Gunj, Hyderabad-Deccan, but no longer with them...Late 20's or early 30's?
It appears to be the DeSoto Tourer. It was sold to Pune, and should probably still be there. I should think it is the oldest DeSoto in the country, subject to correction.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-08.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 16:30   #2477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
It appears to be the DeSoto Tourer. It was sold to Pune, and should probably still be there. I should think it is the oldest DeSoto in the country, subject to correction.

Attachment 1001690
This may be one of the oldest, a similar car was offered to me about 5 yrs ago, from Rajkot. The colour was identical. But it just had more things on it. I may have photos (physical copies) lying around somewhere. I will try to find and post.
Old 17th October 2012, 17:45   #2478
Senior - BHPian

Its a 29 De Soto Phaeton...a long time Hyderabad based car till it mooved to Pune.

Not sure if this is the oldest in the country. I think there were pics of a 28 De Soto on the forum from somewhere up north. 28 was the first year fro De Soto
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 18:31   #2479
BHPian

Seen this De Soto car while it was in Hyderabad with Prabhat Automobiles, attaching here the picture when it was in Hyd before moving to Pune. The owner shown me he usually start the car and run on special occassions, it has all original things in place and very strong car. Dash was very unique design of 1920's style, very nice car.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-02112006286.jpg  

vintagepoint5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 19:37   #2480
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Seen this De Soto car while it was in Hyderabad with Prabhat Automobiles
I remember being shown the pics. of this car by Mr. Parekh, owner of Prabhat a few years ago. There was even a B/W pic. (recent though) of this car at their other shop at Sec'bad.

BTW, is that the old city mechanic Hadi bhai on the right side?
Old 17th October 2012, 22:46   #2481
BHPian

Yes! that's veteran Hadi Bhai, i call him the walking encyclopaedia on Hyderabad's motoring heritage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Seen this De Soto car while it was in Hyderabad with Prabhat Automobiles, attaching here the picture when it was in Hyd before moving to Pune. The owner shown me he usually start the car and run on special occassions, it has all original things in place and very strong car. Dash was very unique design of 1920's style, very nice car.

Cheers!

But strangely in the pic i posted of the same car, the twin (side) mounts are missing...

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th October 2012 at 01:14. Reason: See note in post
Old 18th October 2012, 09:09   #2482
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But strangely in the pic i posted of the same car, the twin (side) mounts are missing...
Actually all the pictures show a single side mount on the left only
Old 18th October 2012, 10:53   #2483
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a picture from somebody's family albums forwarded to us for identification. What say?
Karl's picture
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_0693.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Looks like a late twenties to early thirties Nash tourer, either way a very nice imposing car
Kolkata Nash
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-nash.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
That's clearly an Essex (Super Six?) of the period mentioned by you
Chennai Essex
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-essex-front-view.jpg

I would go by Wasif's suggestion that this is a Nash. I have arranged the pictures for a quick reference

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 11:05   #2484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
I would go by Wasif's suggestion that this is a Nash. I have arranged the pictures for a quick reference
If you spend time chatting with Prabal you'll know he's usually never wrong when it comes to classic cars So I decided to cross check. See the bumper design, the vents on the bonnet and other lines are a perfect match, besides the radiator badge mentioned earlier.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-000.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 11:36   #2485
BHPian

Seen in this pic are my grandma's brothers, posted earlier too, the car in front is thought to be a Studebaker tourer, what could be exact model? and any guesses on the make of the sedan in the background?
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-2-2.jpg  

Vintage Khan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 17:11   #2486
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Prabal, you are spot on, as always.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Quote:
If you spend time chatting with Prabal you'll know he's usually never wrong when it comes to classic cars
Thank you, Karl, for the high-praise. You're also spot on with, "usually never wrong when it comes to classic cars," since I'm always wrong about most other things! In fact, @KPS, I must thank you too, for prompting the kind words, something I've seldom heard, now in the 24 years that I've been married!

Quote:
the car in front is thought to be a Studebaker tourer, what could be exact model? and any guesses on the make of the sedan in the background?
To me, the lines look European, more so British in particular. It's there at the proverbial tip of my tongue, but the last bit of recollection is eluding me. Could it be a Talbot/an Armstrong Siddeley (the flat radiator aside)/an Alvis (the small headlights aside)...? A clearer scan, if the monogramme can be seen, would help immensely. I can't see the car at the back too clearly. Too many years of staring intently at things of beauty has taken a toll!
Prabal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 20:48   #2487
BHPian

Quote:
Seen in this pic are my grandma's brothers, posted earlier too, the car in front is thought to be a Studebaker tourer, what could be exact model? and any guesses on the make of the sedan in the background?
The STUDEies of that period were high cars and the stance of the gentlemen indicate otherwise,moreover the Studeies had a pair of small lights on the cowl in front of the windscreen.
Mohammed4rmhyd is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 23:13   #2488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammed4rmhyd View Post
The STUDEies of that period were high cars and the stance of the gentlemen indicate otherwise,moreover the Studeies had a pair of small lights on the cowl in front of the windscreen.
An analysis of this picture and general comments.
The Stude may have been higher end, but this car seems to have been older, the car in the background was much more modern. Older cars, even Rolls, suffered when they were old, some where even converted to tow trucks.
But, in my opinion, this is no Stude, those had round monograms of a wheel with some sort of wings.
Vintage Khan, please re-scan the photo, if you are worried about misuse, put a big neon

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 18th October 2012 at 23:14.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 23:18   #2489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
An analysis of this picture and general comments.
The Stude may have been higher end, but this car seems to have been older, the car in the background was much more modern. Older cars, even Rolls, suffered when they were old, some where even converted to tow trucks.
But, in my opinion, this is no Stude, those had round monograms of a wheel with some sort of wings.
Vintage Khan, please re-scan the photo, if you are worried about misuse, put a big neon

Cheers harit
HIGH here means an high car and not a HIGH END one.Well its possible thats it may another car. A better picture may help
Old 19th October 2012, 00:07   #2490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammed4rmhyd View Post
HIGH here means an high car and not a HIGH END one............
Oh now I get you. Studebaker did have high end cars too. But I understand what you mean about high cars, many pre-1930 cars did have wheels with tyres of 21" and more. And these cars were also very rugged, Ford T's and A's have been used as rough as Jeeps.

Cheers harit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks