Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2012, 17:15   #2521
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Been resident of SAGAR SANGEET between 1993-1998 & we had a famous neighbour who was/is known by the name of DC.
Mercs were abundant but cant remember CT. There was another HUGE car, owned by a shipping baron who use to live on 12th floor but alas cannot remember the make of car

Mohnish Behl is another famous resident of that building.

Raab rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 21:16   #2522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I think I can read the building name as Bakhtawar, an old apartment building in Colaba where many elite names reside, including one Mr. R N Tata.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Khan View Post
Colaba, 60's Mumbai...
Is this on the Colaba Causeway? There are a few, very old flats in the premises, one or two of which are old Indian Navy quarters, still retained by them. My brother was allotted one of these and the ground floor flat of the same old building was owned by Shri Ratan Tata. He used to come there to relax. The upper floor flat was allotted to his cook. He had a big Alsatian that my brother's family would see often. This was around 2001-02. Shri Ratan Tata's cars would be parked in the many locked garages in this premises. He had Mercs and BMW's (a 7 series) but no Ferraris then.
The same flat that was allotted to my brother, was also once allotted to actress Nutan's husband who was in the Indian Navy.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 7th November 2012 at 21:18.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 01:42   #2523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Been resident of SAGAR SANGEET between 1993-1998 & we had a famous neighbour who was/is known by the name of DC.
Mercs were abundant but cant remember CT. There was another HUGE car, owned by a shipping baron who use to live on 12th floor but alas cannot remember the make of car

Mohnish Behl is another famous resident of that building.

Raab rakha.
Sagar Sangeet is where my mom's uncle lived Nawab Siddiq Yar Khan (now expired), his son (Mr. Nigel and wife Mrs. Margaret, both Brits lived there with him) sadly they too have died...they had an old Merc of 60s and an 60s Amby...recently restored in Hyd...Yes, Nutan & Monish Behl lived there too...
Old 8th November 2012, 02:19   #2524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Sagar SANGEET ... Still stands and use to house a few mercs and a couple of Citroen traction avant MARoon and black and silver

Cheers
One of those Mercs was my uncle's, i think it was a 180D...which was often washed away by high tides frm the beach nxt door and then a large tree fell on it, it was torn into 2 pieces :(
Old 8th November 2012, 09:39   #2525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Khan

One of those Mercs was my uncle's, i think it was a 180D...which was often washed away by high tides frm the beach nxt door and then a large tree fell on it, it was torn into 2 pieces :(
The following is in my list. One Ponton grey colour and whether it was a 180 or 190 i dont know, two 123 mercs, one 123 Merc stretch limo original black colour, two citroens traction avant - maroon and black with a carrier on top, one silver regular with black interior. The snaps I shall dig out and have the same. There was a Morris minor green sedan more towards the front and parked for ages. MONISH BEHL actor lived on the penthouse flat and if I remember there was a fire also in the late 90s or 2000 there in his flat. The cars one by one disappeared and their current where about are not known. Mr Tata 's building bhaktawar had a MG B which was there till the 90s and has now gone or changed hands. While near that areas pump was a Ford A Tudor Sedan and is restored and in a good collection in Mumbai .

Cheers.
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 11:36   #2526
BHPian

Hi,

Found some more pics of the old family car. My Dad with his Fiat and one pic taken during the course of getting the engine running after about 15-20 years in '96, i think it is the same technique of getting the engine going as described by DKG(?) in some other thread which i cant find at the moment.

These pictures are truly nostalgic to me and bring back some of the best times i have had being the quiet helper who hands out the relevant tools at the right time, to the master.

regards,

Srinand.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_0017.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_0023.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_0026.jpg  

srinand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 13:59   #2527
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinand View Post
Hi,

Found some more pics of the old family car.
regards,

Srinand.
Awesome Pics! Can you share some details like what happened to this Fiat eventually?

Also, where in Bangalore is this house?
Old 8th November 2012, 15:07   #2528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
Awesome Pics! Can you share some details like what happened to this Fiat eventually?

Also, where in Bangalore is this house?

Hi Karthik,

The fiat was sold after the engine was started up by my Father to an elderly person by the name of Sathyan, who did up the car and then subsequently sold it on i suppose. It was featured in a bollywood movie "One two three" in the recent past (Thank you Karl for that info) and i presume is owned by someone in Mumbai or surrounding regions. More info may be available with the experts. ?

I still stay in the same home in Basavanagudi.

regards,

Srinand.
Old 11th November 2012, 20:27   #2529
Distinguished - BHPian

Lata Mangeshkar's first car - a Chevrolet Deluxe. This picture had appeared in a Chevrolet publicity brochure too.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-latachevdeluxe.jpg

(Source:lifestylebiographiesofindiansinger)
Old 11th November 2012, 22:11   #2530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007
Lata Mangeshkar's first car - a Chevrolet Deluxe. This picture had appeared in a Chevrolet publicity brochure too.

(Source:lifestylebiographiesofindiansinger)
Funny she says it was a Buick . That's what her sister also said that she was very proud of her Buick . This picture I will show again to confirm

Cheers
Old 11th November 2012, 22:28   #2531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Funny she says it was a Buick . That's what her sister also said that she was very proud of her Buick . This picture I will show again to confirm

Cheers
Kasli, I will try and post the picture with the title from the Chevrolet publicity brochure, where they had given pictures of famous personalities of our country with their Chevrolets. Actor Raj Kumar was featured with his 1956 Belair.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 16:46   #2532
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Where is Harit? We are missing your posts/comments? This thread has been such a major beneficiary of Harit's pictures.
Old 14th November 2012, 17:59   #2533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Where is Harit? We are missing your posts/comments? This thread has been such a major beneficiary of Harit's pictures.
Since long he is out. Appears he is away at some other destination. Nevertheless, his "sandook" or safe vault at Mumbai is full of old B&W pictures. They will come out one by one, sooner or later after he and his mouse work in tandem.
Old 14th November 2012, 18:14   #2534
Senior - BHPian

Tweety was whispering about a certain gent who loves his neon will not be very active in the near future ! Hope things will change soon
Old 15th November 2012, 04:55   #2535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Tweety was whispering about a certain gent who loves his neon will not be very active in the near future ! Hope things will change soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Since long he is out. Appears he is away at some other destination. .
Wasif I heard he has gone on a rally from Karachi to Khyber ending in Ayubia via Peshawar in one of his cars. Tweety mentioned something to that effect after the Rajkot rally didn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinand View Post
Hi,

Found some more pics of the old family car. My Dad with his Fiat and one pic taken during the course of getting the engine running after about 15-20 years in '96,
regards,

Srinand.
Great to see the photos Srinand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks