Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2012, 14:16   #2386
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Harit
I would have thought its a Cheverolet Caminhão ..... Nope I don't think border was that open. Spitfire will tell you more but he doesn't seem to be logging on these days. Anup Thakoor once told me a story of how Mahesh Powale's Late Father swam across the river..........
The bus is definitely an International KB 2, 3, or whatever of around 1947, see a picture of a similar woodie I own, taken from this forum itself. The Ford bus I was refering to is in picture no 9 which Anjan described as a Thames, that was a model of Ford and not a brand in itself.
There were lots of cross-border activities going on, engines and chocolates were not the only items revered in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Lovely! Always was curious to see the cars in pre-Independent Goa! ...............identify the others? The black one on the left seems to be a Chevy? Would the bus pic. be from the 60s though?
Chevy, Ford Consul(?), Humber, Ford, Packard, (?), Vauxhall. Picture would be pre 1961. There is a bus preserved in the Pradeep Naik collection, probably the one which was lying in Calangute Village.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This one is from the Royal Enfield Classic 350
Would you not wish that instead of Royal Enfields, the government had opted for a Triumph, Norton or some more interesting bikes

One of these ladies below seems to be Parsi, Bhoiwala Z.S. But the cars appear a bit strange. What are they?

Cheers harit
added the bus picture for easy comparison as page had turned.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-international-woodie.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-bawie.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 18th August 2012 at 14:25.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 15:02   #2387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The bus is definitely an International KB 2, 3, or whatever of around 1947, see a picture of a similar woodie I own, taken

The Ford bus I was refering to is in picture no 9 which Anjan described as a Thames, that was a model of Ford and not a brand in itself.
Cheers harit
Harit
My mistake. I got confused cos the reply was with a bit of text of the earlier photo. Thanks for putting up the pic of your IH.
Don't know much about the border activities.
Old 18th August 2012, 15:50   #2388
Senior - BHPian

The strange cars are Russian. Its a 1956 Gaz M20 and also goes by the name Pobeda or Bobeda I think. Simple 4 cylinder cars

Cheers

Quote:
The bus is definitely an International KB 2, 3, or whatever of around 1947, see a picture of a similar woodie I own, taken from this forum itself. The Ford bus I was refering to is in picture no 9 which Anjan described as a Thames, that was a model of Ford and not a brand in itself.
There were lots of cross-border activities going on, engines and chocolates were not the only items revered in India.

Chevy, Ford Consul(?), Humber, Ford, Packard, (?), Vauxhall. Picture would be pre 1961. There is a bus preserved in the Pradeep Naik collection, probably the one which was lying in Calangute Village.

Would you not wish that instead of Royal Enfields, the government had opted for a Triumph, Norton or some more interesting bikes

One of these ladies below seems to be Parsi, Bhoiwala Z.S. But the cars appear a bit strange. What are they?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1956_gaz_m20_pobeda_for_sale_rear_resize.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1956_gaz_m20_pobeda_for_sale_side_resize.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-gaz_m20_wire03.jpg  

kasli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2012, 17:34   #2389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks and great to know that these are of International make. As a child when I had visited Goa in the 1960's, I remember seeing trucks and buses with this kind of a design. However, there were Thames (Ford brand) trucks too in Goa. Ponton and Ford Zephyr taxis were the most common.The VW Beetles were all privately owned.
Quote:

Cheers harit
The brands and business houses that were on the wish list of the authorities in the mid 1950's to continue manufacture in India, after imports were stopped were to the liking of the then rulers.
Yes, Triumph and Norton would have been better brands, hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
The strange cars are Russian. Its a 1956 Gaz M20 and also goes by the name Pobeda or Bobeda I think. Simple 4 cylinder cars

Cheers
Thanks to kasli for the identification. I am also posting two more images of the Gaz M 20 Pobeda (Pobeda means victory in Russian). It appears that this company Gorky Car Plant,produced these between 1946-58 with a 2.1 litre / 50 hp engine. In fact my Scorpio too has a 2.2 L engine.The car's bodyline till the 'B' pillar and even the bumpers look like the Standard Vanguard.The 'C' pillar is one of a kind and helps tracking down the brand.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-gazm20pobeda01.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-gazm20pobeda02.jpg
(source worldviewer.com)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th August 2012 at 17:37.
Old 18th August 2012, 18:11   #2390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
The strange cars are Russian.....Cheers
I just looked at the back of the photo and see that Moscow was mentioned. Somehow overlooked that. Photos should be carefully examined from both sides

Quote:
...............Ponton and Ford Zephyr taxis were the most common.The VW Beetles were all privately owned.

The brands and business houses that were on the wish list of the authorities in the mid 1950's to continue manufacture in India, after imports were stopped were to the liking of the then rulers.
Yes, Triumph and Norton would have been better brands, hopefully................
Another common taxi was the Peugeot 403, and there were Opel's, Austin Cambridge, Holden etc.
The rulers had no idea what harm they were doing, the selection was based on tie-ups and not merit.
BTW, Mumbai police imported Triumph bikes, why, were the Enfields not good enough? Surely!

Cheers harit
Old 24th August 2012, 17:28   #2391
Senior - BHPian

A banged up Amby Mark II. I feel that it is a scene from a movie because of the number on the side of the photo. And the car may have been quite new.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-bangedupamby.jpg  

Old 25th August 2012, 01:04   #2392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
The caption said " Garage of Nawab of Rampur 1911"
Attachment 944156

IMO the pic is from LIFE.

Raab rakha.
The car at the front left is a 1908 40 H.P. Seven-seated Argyll Side Entrance Car built by 'Argyll Motors' Limited in Alexandria, Scotland, near the City of Glasgow.

Back in 1908 this was a very expensive vehicle, selling at £700, with the Canopy, Glass Screen, and Curtains, £60 extra*

I have been researching 'Hozier Engineering' and the later 'Argyll Motors' for a number of years now for Glasgow Museums and I would be indebted to them if anyone here has knowledge of or comes across information regarding agents for this make of car in India - or anything Argyll related?

*(Extract from 'The Argyll Car of 1908 "Argyll Motors" Limited. Alexandria. N.B.')

Many thanks, Argyll.
Argyll is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2012, 23:06   #2393
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this one on FB , hosted by a friend

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-vaiteesh.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 18:47   #2394
Senior - BHPian

A Dukker Fiat with a carrier being misused. But this stunt is being done with the car stationary, I know because there is no one in the drivers seat.

But, today there are foolish people who drive around with their sun-roof open and kids standing on the seat and enjoying the breeze. Very foolish and dangerous behaviour. It would make more sense to buy a convertible where you can still enjoy the breeze while being belted to the seat.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-carrier.jpg  

harit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 19:23   #2395
BHPian

Quote:
Found this one on FB , hosted by a friend

Attachment 975273
Interesting, the bus says 'Kellys'. This is in West part of Chennai.
Old 29th August 2012, 17:18   #2396
Senior - BHPian

A beach visit in an Austin.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-austin0.jpg  

Old 1st September 2012, 16:44   #2397
Senior - BHPian

I recently got two albums, something to do with east European trade missions and Japanese stuff. In this album there are pictures of a BMC registered stationwagon which had crashed into a tree and it was a bad accident. Probably on the rural roads in Maharashtra.
But, what is this car? Russian, East European, Japanese? I have not identified it and would like to see a picture of a similar car for comparison.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-acc1.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-acc2.jpg  

harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 21:52   #2398
BHPian

Harit - how about it being a c1958 Datsun W210?

It was the strange position of the front sidlights (which turn out to be indicators) that struck a note with me and with it being right hand drive I felt like you Japanese could be an option. A wee bit of investigation with that info I came up with this - EarlyDatsun.com

Argyll.
Argyll is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 21:04   #2399
Distinguished - BHPian

An old magazine picture of a biker in a forest area. Which is this bike ?

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-picture-220.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 11:17   #2400
BHPian

1948 Vauxhall Velox L-Type Six

Check out a 1948 Vauxhall Velox L-Type Six - My Grand-pop's prized steed!
Was in great shape till the late 50s I think, after which he went for a Standard Herald, Which we had till 1998. And it drove well till we gave it away.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan-file793.jpg  

CLIX is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks