Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 10:39   #1756
Senior - BHPian

re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Well ...........in Gudalur.
Second part of the same note well I thnk Bombay has more than 100 rare cars and bikes for sure and as a few or more than a few and in counting are with you . So we easily put all the Cars and Bike in our great city and we are running quite a count. Cheers
Hey, you should read the newspaper caption properly. It said " Over 100 rare Vintage Cars and Motorcycles are participating..............." . No one talks of the number in Mumbai city, the number refers to participation. See the difference? Now check which cars & bikes came to that event and whether more than 100 were rare.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 14th July 2011 at 10:43.
Old 14th July 2011, 10:57   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invinci View Post
Hi!

Here are a couple of bicycle photos dated 1903 taken in Belgaum.

Attachment 564894

Attachment 564904

I have always been fascinated by automotive technology including the bicycle. But given a choice to choose between the two mode of transport in above picture, I would take Solomon the horse!

regards

-invinci
Solomon for me too. Do you know the location? The second picture is probably a bungalow near Shivneri. Black hole? Mandoli?
Old 14th July 2011, 11:39   #1758
Senior - BHPian

This was sent by our KPS with a request to post here. Here is the information given by KPS:
""My neighbour was kind enough to share this framed picture of his uncle at his wedding. This picture was taken in the late 1920's and the car I believe is a Dodge Brothers car.
The owner was a wealthy planter in Kerala and this photo was taken with the Church in the back drop at a place called Pampady, near Kottayam. I understand that this car survived till the late 1960's and was jacked up during the war as they did not get tyres. The car was scrapped to free the garage space for visiting relatives.
Request you to please go ahead and post in TBHP
Picture quality is poor as I could not remove the photo from its frame.""

Cheers hart
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-kps.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 14th July 2011 at 11:41.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 11:50   #1759
J.Ravi

This was my great-grandfather's [father's grandfather] Standard car [1950].
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-oldstd.jpg
As a child, I remember seeing this car in our ancestral home at Madras with the registration number starting with MSC. I remember my late father [posing with the car] telling me that he had learnt driving in that car thanks to their driver. It was imported from UK as was vogue in 1950s.

I remember witnessing several times the cumbersome cold-starting in those days involving removing an L-shaped rod called 'handle' from the boot, inserting it through the opening provided at the bottom of the front grille, rotating it manually until the engine started, and finally, tactfully removing it from the slot. It also served as a handy weapon in the hands of drivers for self-defence!

Here is a photograph showing my first car [1992-2004] MS Omni:
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-omni.jpg

Old 14th July 2011, 12:22   #1760
BHPian

Brilliant and Beautiful, as some one who enjoys history and automobiles, these pictures have brought an alluring sense of joyful nostalgia that is hard to express in words
Old 14th July 2011, 18:50   #1761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This was sent by our KPS with a request to post here. Here is the information given by KPS:
""My neighbour was kind enough to share ................
Subsequently KPS informed that the older brother informs that the picture of the Dodge Brothers tourer was taken in 1924.

Here is a Parsi Family. Any idea who these people are? This is not too long ago, let us assume early 1960's.
The first and last picture have a Dodge?Plymouth in the background, in the middle picture there is an Amby.
The last picture was posted earlier, post 1740, and later on I got these two pictures. So have put all together, including the previous one.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-parsi-family-001.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-parsi-family-002.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-parsi-family-003.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 14th July 2011 at 18:56.
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 21:08   #1762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Here is that Chrysler convertible from Lawrence school, and here is the Mumbai car. Compare the two.
Hopefully the fight was not too tough, and I never knew that Mumbai had 100 rare cars and Motorcycles. . These exagerations are normal.

Cheers harit
This must have been a "well travelled" car. Attached are some pictures during Nehru's visit to my maternal grandfather's "taravad" (family house). Pictures are dated Dec 27, 1955.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-nehru-chrysler-1.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-nehru-chrysler-2.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-nehru-chrysler-3.jpg
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 21:16   #1763
Senior - BHPian

I would love to get high resolution scanned image of the car and also attached a recent picture of the same car. And it was a really well travelled car.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
This must have been a "well travelled" car. Attached are some pictures during Nehru's visit to my maternal grandfather's "taravad" (family house). Pictures are dated Dec 27, 1955.

Attachment 576984

Attachment 576985

Attachment 576986
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dscn7906.jpg  

Old 17th July 2011, 12:14   #1764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The colour combo was off white ( ivory) with Maroon leatherette and Black top with 4 bumper guards. and a light. The school historian remembers and has a side snap and promised to scan that across. He is retired and in Gudalur.
A similar car appeared in an old South Indian movie, was posted some time back on the movie thread (I think by Stanher). Now interesting that you mention the 4 bumper guards - this car too sports them. Wonder if they are again the same car.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-01.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-02.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-03.jpg

EDIT - I also just noticed the grab handle rails on the back of the front seats (for ceremonial purposes) - this has to be the same car.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 17th July 2011 at 12:15.
Old 17th July 2011, 15:33   #1765
Senior - BHPian

This might be a car in Kerala. This car was for a bvery long time there and must have been used . Could be the same car ? I cant see the registration number.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A similar car appeared in an old South Indian movie, was posted some time back on the movie thread (I think by Stanher). Now interesting that you mention the 4 bumper guards - this car too sports them. Wonder if they are again the same car.

Attachment 578260

Attachment 578261

Attachment 578262

EDIT - I also just noticed the grab handle rails on the back of the front seats (for ceremonial purposes) - this has to be the same car.
Old 17th July 2011, 16:03   #1766
Senior - BHPian

Some snaps of a Rally back in the good old days ! Some scenes of the Rally taken off at the reclamation area near NCPA and also Teen Batti in Mumbai. Can some people Identify the cars and their current owners and whereabouts !

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_0010.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_0011.jpg  

kasli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 16:43   #1767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some snaps of a Rally back in the good old days ! Some scenes of the Rally taken off at the reclamation area near NCPA and also Teen Batti in Mumbai. Can some people Identify the cars and their current owners and whereabouts !

Cheers
Lovely pictures, do keep them coming.

We all know the Mercedes 500K (which incidentally was announced as entering any event for the first time in 2007). Cannot recall the Buick seen behind it though.

The BMX Jag was discussed earlier on the forum, I believe she is now in Australia, though with the same owner (to be confirmed). Whatever happened to the Lincoln seen behind it?

The white Bentley again we all know, still in Bombay and being restored currently.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 17th July 2011 at 16:45.
Old 17th July 2011, 17:03   #1768
Distinguished - BHPian

Sometime back I had posted a couple of old Bombay rally pics here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post2397459 (Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics)

Any idea on the Mercedes, i.e. what model and does it survive?
Old 20th July 2011, 07:55   #1769
BHPian

hi the movie is sakalakala vallavan AVM productions the hero is kamal hassan who is on the bonnet and i belive mr guhan of the production company has lot of vintage &classic cars in pristine condition
Old 25th July 2011, 22:30   #1770
BHPian

A most enjoyable and delightful website here. I do enjoy your collectible cars and cars of a memorable era. Those were the romantic days, before WWII. Thank you for the brief glimpse.
noonrock is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks