Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2009, 10:00   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This pic is relatively recent, maybe only 20 years or so.
Ironically the picture with the Bedford at Horniman's Circle is used as a current day picture compared to the one shot in B&W. See the link I posted earlier.
Old 5th June 2009, 13:13   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
They were discontinued, a few ran in Nashik on Mumbai plates, not chenged as the transfer was within Maharashtra, and I believe a few even went to Hyderabad. Any comments on this, DKG or Wasif?

Cheers harit
Yup Harit they were very much active in hyderabad, sepcially on the longer routes like mehdipatnam to Kothi and Kukatpally to Kothi.

Have actually travelled on them, fine view to be had from the top deck, sometimes you could see nice cars over the high compound walls of some houses.

Don't remember when they were discontinues but one was parked at the Mehdipatnam Depot and was converted into a bus pass sales booth. Imagin these people sitting in there selling buss passes out of the windows in the heat of summer !!

We also had Leyland trailer busses in Hyd. basically two regulat busses hitched together by chains, the thing was that the second buss was actually made without and engine or a drivers compartment. needless to say thre used to be two seperate conductors one for each bus.

Wasif
Old 5th June 2009, 13:32   #378
Senior - BHPian

Nostalgia

Hi,

I found these in my collection.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-cardam2.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-cardam1.jpg

The location, if I remember correctly, is the Peechi Dam.

The person in the second photo is my father. My maternal grandfather owned this car.

The car is a Plymouth Savoy 1956 model bought new. This was assembled by Premier Automobiles Ltd, Bombay. I had the chance to drive it only a couple of times. But I have travelled a lot in this car as a child. This car was also a part of the three car pan India family trip in 1966.

Last edited by trrk : 5th June 2009 at 13:35.
Old 5th June 2009, 14:15   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Those are superb, what a lovely setting! Do you have any more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
This car was also a part of the three car pan India family trip in 1966.
This trip must have been quite an experience. Do tell us more about it. Any pictures?
Old 5th June 2009, 19:34   #380
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Those are superb, what a lovely setting! Do you have any more?
I doubt! I have some photogrpahs with me and these were among them. Other than these, most other photographs are maintained by my home ministry. Let me check, but I doubt.

I was wondering whether they would be interesting! Thanks.

Quote:
This trip must have been quite an experience. Do tell us more about it. Any pictures?
One would imagine so. But it was in 1966 when I was nine. I barely remember the trip. We did not go to Calcutta, Kashmir and Rajasthan. I remember Mumbai, Gwalior, Varanasi and Delhi.

The Plymouth carried all the youngsters in the lot with an ex army family driver at the helm. The other cars were Ambassadors.

Let me see about the pictures. I remember a picture at Taj and another at Raj Ghat. But they would be more like personal pictures!
Old 5th June 2009, 20:20   #381
BHPian

Karl, sorry missed these before. Lovely set of old-time pix.

Harit, I remember riding these articulated double deckers in Bombay many a times from Colaba too in the early 80s. They would go via Nariman Point as well if I recollect right.

These tractor-trailer buses were common on Calcutta roads too. Introduced in the mid-70s they were christened "Tritolika" in the publicity campaign, which caught on and became the regular reference word for them. Tritolika stood for triple-decker in Bangla although literally it would translate to as Triple storied! Anyway, the mezanine level was definitely a pain to stand in, although one generally was allowed to be upright there only while moving towards an empty seat.

All double-deckers were fun (whether the regular ones or these), especially the coveted front seat, which had the best view in the house and changing the route number from there (sometimes one did find the lever forgotten behind by the staff!!) provided great kicks to our demented irresponsbilities.

trrk, very nice photographs - the Plymouth and family senior in such a picturesque setting - very evocative indeed! Thanks for sharing.
Old 5th June 2009, 20:21   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gogiji, you have already slipped and fallen!

Please see my other post number 362.
Yeah Yeah!! * gets up and sits on the chair again*...
While i was typing, you had typed.

The double decker, trailer bus was actually in use till the late eighties or even more. I remember travelling in them to NSCI club with my sister as a kid when we went swimming in the vacations.
I remember going to college in them to Lala Lajpatrai College. They were only Ltd (or limited buses. This meant fewer stops as in fast trains) The limited buses were 5 paise or so more expensive. I used to pay 20 paise from Worli to Dadar by ordinary bus. Now one cant even see the 20 paise coins. Those were the days!!
Old 6th June 2009, 11:31   #383
BHPian

Absolutely a fest to the eyes!!!!!!!!!
To be cherished for a long long time.
Old 6th June 2009, 18:50   #384
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
trrk, very nice photographs - the Plymouth and family senior in such a picturesque setting - very evocative indeed! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the appreciation. My mother's side did have a lot of cars in those days. Unfortunately even if there were pictures, they were never with my father.

In my school days I used to travel a lot in this Plymouth as well as a Desoto.
Old 8th June 2009, 20:32   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
As these are quite interesting photographs, the fact that some may not use links and the discovery that they are legally uploadable, I am posting them.
The permission is explicit and can be seen here:
Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Generic

Calcutta 1947
Attachment 10477
Attachment 10478
Attachment 10479
Attachment 10480
Attachment 10481
Attachment 10482
Attachment 10483
Attachment 10484
Attachment 10485
Attachment 10486
Attachment 10487
Attachment 10488
Attachment 10489
Attachment 10490
Courtesy of
GIs in Calcutta, 1947
Dear sir, last picture has a bombay registerd car in calcutta BLP.
Old 8th June 2009, 21:49   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Dear friend, maybe your dad must be knowing of an era 1982 or so, that there was another rally enthusiast name was SHAMSUDEEN from mahim he also had a premier all done up, high lift cam, freeflow exhaust, all meters inside ca,wide tyres,alloy wheels,extra lights,and regd no. was MEN 555. he went to south for some rally also in those days but was defeated by some one else I dont know but in the process he busted the engine. I know this because he got the engine rebuilt done at mahim in RUPAM BORING WORKS, our office in those days was in same bld.
Old 9th June 2009, 09:06   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Dear sir, last picture has a bombay registerd car in calcutta BLP.
Actually that is the old Bengal registration, before the WB series started.
Old 9th June 2009, 17:10   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Moralfibre sent me this most interesting travalogue with some great photos of drives across India, Nepal and Afghanistan amongst others, back in the day in a spiffy Mercedes bus.

Road to Goa - Home Page
Old 10th June 2009, 01:45   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Moralfibre sent me this most interesting travalogue with some great photos of drives across India, Nepal and Afghanistan amongst others, back in the day in a spiffy Mercedes bus.

Road to Goa - Home Page
This is very interesting. Have to read this once more.
Before Iran borders closed, 1000's of people drove their cars to India. I used to be in Goa almost every year from 1972 onwrds till mid 1980's. I have seen VW's split screens, T2's, Land Rovers, 2CV's, old used and wrung out yellow beetles bought used from the German Post with the lettering on the doors scratched out. Khatmandu and Goa were the destinations, with busses regularly travelling between these places on old German oval customs licence plates. There were also Ford Transit vans, Mercedes Trucks, small cars like Jugoslav Zastava, just about any used cars which were cheap and ran. In all these years I had seen only one Van from USA. And they used to camp on the beaches allover Goa, but mainly on Calangute, Baga and Anjuana.
But there are still people travelling by road to India. 2 years ago I met a German couple in Mumbai. They were at a workshop and I started talking to them. They had driven in a convoy of 14 or so vehicles from Germany to Russia, to Mongolia, through China and came into Vietnam or so. They wanted to drive to India, came upto Burma and were turned back. They returned to Singapore from where most of them shipped their vehicles back. But three of them came to India and drove back to Germany. They had Pakistan visa's, these were valid for a limited period during which they had to pass through pakistan to go back.
Lovely adventure trips and there will be lovely sights.
Old 10th June 2009, 16:02   #390
BHPian

Harit,

Oh what a lovely time that was (1970 - 1982). Hundreds and hundreds of these flower children would be driving through Pakistan on their way to India in their VW Micro buses, Ford Transit vans and Citroen 2Cv's.

In 1973 in Rawalpindi, my cousin and myself ran into a couple who were short on money and we stuck a deal for their Citroen 2CV for Rs 6,000. The car was a delight and gave years and years of service before being sold off for Rs 85,000 in 1998!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks