Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2009, 21:26   #706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuchha View Post
Hi,
saw your nice family photo .Just came across one old frame showing Car reg # WBC 4483 (probebly from West Bengal or bihar) .It is of a british family travelling in & around India.Which make is this CAR ??

Uday
Tuchha
hi,
the car in picture is 10 hp Prefect ford 1952 model. this car had very good rear legroom.
Old 26th August 2009, 21:51   #707
BHPian

Random Pic from 1968. The place in Hyderabad isn't tough to guess. The Taxi could be a surprise to few, like the two-way traffic on the road.

Found a couple b/w pics with cars in them and a chest full of negatives. Will post from newest to oldest order.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-gen5099886539_309c41cb2b_b.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st October 2010 at 12:35. Reason: image changed on request
Old 26th August 2009, 22:38   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Random Pic from 1968. The place in Hyderabad isn't tough to guess. The Taxi could be a surprise to few, like the two-way traffic on the road.

Found a couple b/w pics with cars in them and a chest full of negatives. Will post from newest to oldest order.

Attachment 180664
Nice modernist buildings in contrast to all the aluminum clad and Glass boxes we see today.
Old 26th August 2009, 23:02   #709
BHPian

Wow!!

One of the best ever thread on team-bhp.

Thanks BHP, because of you, we can enjoy such rare pics from history.
Old 26th August 2009, 23:33   #710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post

Attachment 180664
I guessed it as Khairatabad/Lakdikapul- that's the Dwaraka Hotel at the corner, still the same but not as pristine in appearance! (Incidentally, a year later, my parents had stayed there for a few days on moving to hyd. until they rented a house in Chikkadpally) And when you take the lane that goes past Dwaraka to the right in the pic., it goes to Meera talkies (now Sensations)...I got it right?
BTW, there still is 2-way traffic allowed on that road (goes upto the Secratariat) Only difference I find is there is no divider unlike now.
The roads of that time look better than the current ones though!

I did hear that we had black and yellow cabs (only Ambys) in Hyd. until the 70s atleast. Mostly with APT regns. 'wonder why they were (ironically) later withdrawn though?

Looking forward to seeing your other old pics. of Hyd./Sec'bad! I hope to ifnd some standards in it!

Last edited by Stanher : 26th August 2009 at 23:39.
Old 26th August 2009, 23:47   #711
BHPian

Really priceless pics of these beautiful Vintage cars. Thanks for sharing these on team-bhp.
Old 26th August 2009, 23:48   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Nice modernist buildings in contrast to all the aluminum clad and Glass boxes we see today.
You're right Amol. More importantly, the buildings seem so unmolested ! - No hideous signboards, no ugly aftermarket box grilles, no "chhaja enclosures", no political hoardings !! Pure Architecture- just like an oh-ree-G-nal car !
Old 27th August 2009, 13:16   #713
Senior - BHPian

Nostalgic pictures of our family's cars

Hi,

It all started with a post where I mentioned a pre 59 Lambretta. So started digging up the old photos.

Here are some that I found.

SuperSelect and Stanher, the first one is for you.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-oldbw2.jpg
My father's brother's ride.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-oldbw1.jpg
My maternal uncle's ride.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-oldbw3.jpg
Car in a parking lot at Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, a long long while back.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-oldcolour2.jpg
One of my school rides.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-oldbw5modified.jpg
Yet another of my school rides

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-oldcolour1.jpg
A very subtle shade of red! Circa 1974

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-oldbw4.jpg
My maternal uncle gave this as my ride on the day my maternal grandfather passed away. In Alleppey at my 'tharavadu' (grandfather's house)

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-oldcolour3.jpg
In all its colourful glory in front of my hostel at JNMC, Belgaum

Photo of a photo. Apparently do not have a steady hand!
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dsc00573.jpg
A pre used Standard 2000 petrol converted to diesel using a Mahindra Peugeot XDP3 (I hope this correct) engine. Lights are my own modification. Luckily you can't see the left side door mirror. You people would kill me!

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-cardam.jpg
I was fortunate to have this a school ride! On top of Peechi Dam!

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-housecomp_small.jpg
Then and now. That Padmini was with me for sometime in the JNMC Campus, Belgaum.

As I was not a very enthusiastic photographer myself, the automobile related pictures are far and few. There would be more and as I find them I will try and post them.

It is a nice feeling to travel down memory lane!
trrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2009, 13:31   #714
Senior - BHPian

Trrk, loved each one of your photographs. And you have a beautiful house.
The photos somehow reminded me of RK Laxamn. I tend to associate the surroundings envisaged by him in Malgudi Days to those that I saw in your 'graphs. I just love the smell of the unspoiled India of 80's & before!
Old 27th August 2009, 14:05   #715
Senior - BHPian

Is that your home with the City (oops, & the marina) outside it?

Looks great, next time if I make it, can you take me around?

I always loved Kerala homes, mansions, etc.
Ps- great collection of cars in the family over the years. The STD_2000 is outside the shop, right?

Last edited by svsantosh : 27th August 2009 at 14:07.
Old 27th August 2009, 16:50   #716
BHPian

Hyd old photos

Hi Gendarmee, thanks for sharing nice Hyd old photos, I think Stanher is right, this pic looks like Dwarka Hotel, picture taken from IPS Lakdikapool side. Look forward to see more old pics of Hyd. If you have pics of Banjara Hills also please post, I used to reside at Road#8 & 7.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th August 2009 at 19:32. Reason: Specific location of residence removed on request.
Old 28th August 2009, 11:34   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

It all started with a post where I mentioned a pre 59 Lambretta. So started digging up the old photos.

Here are some that I found.

Attachment 180826
Car in a parking lot at Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, a long long while back.

As I was not a very enthusiastic photographer myself, the automobile related pictures are far and few. There would be more and as I find them I will try and post them.

It is a nice feeling to travel down memory lane!
The third pic is a Ford, probably a Falcon or Fairlane. And it is a tourist taxi.
In those days these cars were very popular as tourist taxi's along with Chevy Nova's.
Many years ago I saw a similar tourist taxi lying in STC Mumbai. I enquired and was told that STC gave cars to tourist taxi oprators at some concession as they were a source of earning foreign exchange. And they had to give them back. No idea about the details of this scheme and how long it lasted.
Early popular cars were these three and American luxury cars. Holdens were also popular for this. Mercedes and Japanese cars came to be used later.

Cheers harit
Old 28th August 2009, 12:49   #718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post

A very subtle shade of red! Circa 1974
Thanks Rajesh! Lovely old pics.!
That pre '59 Lambretta is a LD 150 (shaft-drive), this being the '57 "mk3" model, withthe horn mounted on the handle-bar. Earlier mk1 and mk2 LD had the horn on the "nose" just below the headlight, while the handle-bar was shaped like a cylce one.

When you'd first mentioned it, I presumed it was the Li150 series 1, which also had the headlight mounted on the "nose" (see pics.)

lambretta series 1 - Google Images=

The red fiat appears to be a President- they did come in this colour too, I remember seeing a similar car often in Hyd. years ago (albeit the red had slighty faded to an orangy tomato red) driven by a Sardarji.
Old 28th August 2009, 13:26   #719
Senior - BHPian

In the olden days, not too long ago many fun-fairs had a booth for photos. They usually had a prop like this one. Mostly fantasy, with only some resemblence to the real world. So this Buick may resemble a Buick, of 1964, but the number will not match.
Enjoy someones fantasy.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-photo-prop.jpg  

Old 28th August 2009, 15:50   #720
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Trrk, loved each one of your photographs. And you have a beautiful house.
Thanks. Thanks again for liking the house. Well, it is two years older than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
The photos somehow reminded me of RK Laxamn. I tend to associate the surroundings envisaged by him in Malgudi Days to those that I saw in your 'graphs. I just love the smell of the unspoiled India of 80's & before!
Alleppey nowhere close to Malgudi, it was the birthplace of communism in these parts. This was a bustling town with an active port and business thrived until the early 70s. We are trying to (and failing miserably) to regain the lost status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Is that your home with the City (oops, & the marina) outside it?
Looks great, next time if I make it, can you take me around?
I always loved Kerala homes, mansions, etc.
Ps- great collection of cars in the family over the years. The STD_2000 is outside the shop, right?
Yes, thanks to my maternal grandfather who thought that this would be an appropriate gift for his daughter.

Sure, I will take you around. Sorry about the last time. Then again you would be disappointed as it has nothing typical of a traditional Kerala home. None of the rooms have attached bathroom / toilets and none of them of have less than 2 doors!

All my father owned between 1959 and 1985 were Fiats and Premiers (including a Safari). But between 1943 and 1959, he must have enjoyed a very wide variety of cars as my maternal grandfather did have a lot of non fancy and fancy cars.

And yes, the 2000 is in front of my shop. This was in 1993, my mother and wife were leaving after the inauguration of our renovated shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The third pic is a Ford, probably a Falcon or Fairlane. And it is a tourist taxi.
How my menory has gone waste! It was indeed a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Thanks Rajesh! Lovely old pics.!
That pre '59 Lambretta is a LD 150 (shaft-drive), this being the '57 "mk3" model, withthe horn mounted on the handle-bar.
I am not a fan of two wheelers and so even know less than what I know about cars (which in itself is hardly anything! Thanks for all that info and the link. I just remembered this photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
The red fiat appears to be a President- they did come in this colour too, I remember seeing a similar car often in Hyd. years ago (albeit the red had slighty faded to an orangy tomato red) driven by a Sardarji.
You could be right about the model. But I vaguely remember that is was painted later. But I am not sure. We did have a repainted yellow Fiat 1100 D / Premier in those days. I distinctly remember a light green Premier repainted a silver / black combination.

Now friends, since the albums are old, with most of the pictures pasted on, and under my wife's custody, I have snapped a few photos which would be of similar or slightly worse quality than the Standard 2000 snaps.

Should I post them?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks