Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2011, 16:03   #1666
Senior - BHPian

re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Today while cleaning my wardrobe I found a photograph of my elder son sitting on our DOLPHIN car in our versova bld.
We had brought this car in 1984. from Gohil Motors Mahim.
But we soon got fed up because of worst service back up by Gohil Motors, who was interested in only selling them and no service backup was givenby them.
We had brought it brand new in 75000/-, and sold it in 1991 for 38000/- in non running conditioin.

My son today is a MBA and is happily married and is working in JP MOGAN
Iqbalji that is one of the best period photos of the Sipani Dolphin that I have ever seen. Gohil Motors was owned by the late father of my friend. I suspect at that time they really did not have the economic might required to put out a full fledged dealership, and I recall at one point him cribbing to me about how Sipani just refused to technically assist them in any manner. That aside. I remember as early as 15 yrs ago they had a huge stockpile of Dolphin Parts which they literally gave away to the Bhangar wala, I am sure till this date they would have interesting catalogs and brochures of the car. Toady in its place stands an APE dealership still run by the Gohils.
Old 19th April 2011, 11:15   #1667
Team-BHP Support

Today I saw the oddest thing while driving out of Manipal. A red vintage car bearing plates MYX 2284 was slowing driving towards Manipal. I don't know anything about vintage, but I can safely conclude it was a pre-war car going by the design. Probably Austin, not too sure. Why I found it so odd, I have never seen real vintage cars on road in these parts, ever.
Old 19th April 2011, 15:34   #1668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Today I saw the oddest thing while driving out of Manipal. A red vintage car bearing plates MYX 2284 was slowing driving towards Manipal.
Why I found it so odd, I have never seen real vintage cars on road in these parts, ever.
If this is close to Dharmasthala, it may be one of Veerendra Heggede's cars?
Old 20th April 2011, 12:43   #1669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Today I saw the oddest thing while driving out of Manipal. A red vintage car bearing plates MYX 2284 was slowing driving towards Manipal. I don't know anything about vintage, but I can safely conclude it was a pre-war car going by the design. Probably Austin, not too sure. Why I found it so odd, I have never seen real vintage cars on road in these parts, ever.
I think that car 1930's Plymouth ....belongs to a Shetty, businessman .
It was lying in one garage just after Manipal on the way to Parkala on the right hand side.
Later they moved from there and it was under restoration, this is what I heard.
May be the same car.....
Old 20th April 2011, 16:03   #1670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Two more - belonging to my extended family :
Cool! The first is a 1946/48 Buick Super (similar to one you have already posted). The other is a mid 1950s Humber Hawk I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Today while cleaning my wardrobe I found a photograph of my elder son sitting on our DOLPHIN car in our versova bld.
Lovely picture, thanks for sharing.
Old 20th April 2011, 20:04   #1671
Senior - BHPian

Came across in flickr and found to be nostalgic, wanted to share it with you folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-nostalgic-pic.jpg  

chanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 22:28   #1672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Came across in flickr and found to be nostalgic, wanted to share it with you folks.
Nice pic ! If Shyam (Stanher) was born a generation ago, this would've been him .
Old 20th April 2011, 22:42   #1673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Nice pic ! If Shyam (Stanher) was born a generation ago, this would've been him .
Even today we ask him to stand next to his car and take a snap he will look much handsome than the pic I posted.
Old 23rd April 2011, 14:02   #1674
Senior - BHPian

These are two sets of pictures of a Standard and a family.
The picture on the left is a contact print, a print taken out in a size of the negative to see whether the picture it is worth printing or not, either due to technical or aestethic reasons so that printing did not go waste.
The contact print is a genuine older print. The pictures on the right are modern reprints, deliberately printed in sepia tone to mislead one into thinking that an old print is being bought. So now old pictures are being reproduced, not only clocks furniture and antiques.
Just thought to let all know.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-standard-07.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-standard-08.jpg  

harit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 14:05   #1675
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Quote:
Even today we ask him to stand next to his car and take a snap he will look much handsome than the pic I posted.
Ohh my my, am I ever so flattered!

Rest assured, I certainly will have a similar pic. of mine taken, once I'm 'normal' again...seems like so distant now! :sigh:

Bala, if you wouldnt mind, you could be my personal photographer for just that day?

Incidentally, my car too would have looked like that as it was white with a maroon stripe (but I like it better in red so will retain it this way!)

That's a nice old pic. on flickr, the full-size of which had been posted here earlier too. I think it was taken at Hyderabad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Here are two pictures of a Standard with family, same car.
Aha, nice to see more pics. of the Pennant that you earlier posted (with the roof rack), harit! Yet again, you made my day!

These ones look like they've been taken a bit later, atleast the bottom one- the car is now showing signs of age or the Bombay climate effect, going by the front bumper and even more the hubcaps, as opposed to the brand new look she had in your previous photo.

Last edited by Stanher : 23rd April 2011 at 14:09.
Old 23rd April 2011, 15:57   #1676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Aha, nice to see more pics. of the Pennant that you earlier posted (with the roof rack), harit! Yet again, you made my day!
I believe that you could hit a new feature button called "Thanks".

Here is a picture taken in Hyderabad. On the back is written: A ground view from a hall above Charminar, 27.5.1966. I like that van, it is a Dodge/ Fargo, what did Govt Veh really mean, was there a pool of Government vehicles as most departments must have had their own.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-scene-21-.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 16:28   #1677
Senior - BHPian

Last one for the day. This seems to be from a movie, or while that movie is being shot. Any idea which flick this could be, and who are the actors?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-filmi-05-jpg.jpg  

harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 16:54   #1678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I like that van, it is a Dodge/ Fargo, what did Govt Veh really mean, was there a pool of Government vehicles as most departments must have had their own.
Cheers harit
All vehicles belonging to the A.P. government of any department had the words "government vehicle" painted on the body.I do not know whether the practice is still followed.
Old 23rd April 2011, 17:07   #1679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I believe that you could hit a new feature button called "Thanks".
Done!

But, since I had continued to say something further in that post, I guess its allright.

Quote:
Here is a picture taken in Hyderabad. On the back is written: A ground view from a hall above Charminar, 27.5.1966. I like that van, it is a Dodge/ Fargo, what did Govt Veh really mean, was there a pool of Government vehicles as most departments must have had their own.
Nice to see a pic. of apna Hyderabad! the streets surrounding Charminar look nothing like this today.

I'm not too sure which dept. the van would've belonged to, but going by the roof-mounted siren(?), my guess is it would've belonged to some law enforcement dept. maybe of the municipality.

From the bonnet lines, it appears to be a 1959 Fargo 300, maybe Canadian-built too:

Image: 1959 Fargo D300 Pickup Brochure/1959 Fargo D300 Pickup-01

I used to see a similar pick-up version in pista green junking away outside a govt. scientific institute here in the mid-late 90s, it disappeared after that.
Old 23rd April 2011, 17:50   #1680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Done! But, since I had continued to say something further in that post, I guess its allright.
That was a joke, as I am not familiar with other forums and their features. This feature was something new for me.

This is a racetrack probably somewhere in Tamil Nadu because that Fiat has a MDE? registration, not quite legible. The white car towards the left could be a 1956 Chevy, but again not clear. In the background there seem to be hilly countryside. Anyone can identify?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-scene-22-.jpg  

harit is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks