Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2014, 09:38   #256
BHPian

Re: Are Google Maps losing their credibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Routes aside, it has let me down a few times with regards to places/establishments also. For eg. the last time I had to visit a Titan showroom, there was no such showroom where it was marked. And from the look of it, and from my memory, there never was one, anywhere in that area. Waste of time and trip.
Last time I updated my own neighborhood about a place, some idiot in name of "reviewer" rejected the change.
I added comment to check the latest developments and re-applied the change.
It got rejected the second time too.
The so called reviewer (other map updaters who have crossed certain count on editing places and became reviewer) in my case has no understanding of the map or plain egoistic that I change the place probably he created.
Old 26th June 2014, 10:05   #257
Team-BHP Support

One can lose credibility if a perfectly working services started deteriorating. But that ain't the case with GPS from any company, that are used in India.

Unlike first world countries, our road addressing system is highly unscientific. Consider an US address, every address has a building number, street name, town name, state and zip. In India only state and pin-code are guaranteed, rest could be anything.

My Bangalore address has apartment number and building name, there is no building number.
My Manipal address has house name, followed by landmark description, there is no street name.
If you live in Jayanagar, 6th block, Bangalore... what is your town name?
Consider Jayanagar, 4th T block... why is it next to 9th block? Why there is no S block before T block?
If you live in 24th cross, 6th main... what is your street name?

India is a map-maker's nightmare. Let's not blame GPS providers for this mess. It is the legacy of our stupid address convention, which follows no logic.

Last edited by Samurai : 26th June 2014 at 11:58. Reason: typo
Samurai is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 10:15   #258
Senior - BHPian

I too agree that Gmap seems to be losing it. I tried using it on my trip in Konkan, and many times it tried to put me into a river, telling me to turn right NOW, when there was no road and only a river flowing on the right!

Now I use gmap only for planning, not for active GPS use.
Old 26th June 2014, 10:33   #259
BHPian

Its just like Samurai has said: Map makers just don't have enough reference. Our building names and street names change every fortnight and thus, maps get outdated faster than technology. Its a mess at the moment, lets hope they get a solid convention in place for existing landmarks atleast. Yesterday google maps threw me into a loop and i realised it only after i saw the same building again.
Old 26th June 2014, 10:38   #260
BHPian

My office is located on Bannergatta road in Bilekahalli. Google maps showed it as Marathalli. I realized this after sharing my gps location with an out of town guest who was supposed to visit my office. I reported it as an error.
Old 26th June 2014, 10:40   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRetard View Post
I have now seen two instances where they do not tell the shortest and best possible route.
The routing is done by algorithm, which usually gets better with time
Google by default suggested via NH71. It also suggested via NH1, which is what was recommended by members here. I don't see any cause for concern.

AFAIK, Google sources India maps from Map My India. MMI maps are good and in some cities show the house numbers as well.
Old 26th June 2014, 10:41   #262
BHPian

The basic problem is that in India there are no real addresses because there isnt a standardised reference system i.e. you cannot guarantee that you'll be able to find a particular location going by the address alone. Rather, we tend to rely more on a system of landmarks + directions. Huge source of frustration for me personally when calling a cab or ordering from a new restaurant, anything that involves directing someone to your home.
Old 26th June 2014, 10:44   #263
BHPian

I always use to GMaps for giving me a high level routes and destination points. Considering the ever changing Addressing system and new roads getting developed every year, it would be quite obvious to give the routes shown a thought before actually taking it up.

The best maps whenever in doubt I think is asking for destinations personally to nearby locals !

Gmaps as a technology is super awesome, but we have to accept the fact that technology has their own limitations !
Old 26th June 2014, 10:51   #264
Senior - BHPian

Its madness to trust any GPS system in India blindly. One must use some basic intuition as very many addresses in most GPS systems are innaccurate. Its not limited to gmaps - even sygic, garmin etc all suffer from it.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 11:29   #265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
One can lose credibility if a perfectly working services started deteriorating. But that ain't the case with GPS from any company, that are used in India.
To add one more thing
The specific Amritsar Manali instance.
If you look at the all three routes, you will see they are not different from the best and common route.
Same mix of national and state highways are used.
In the west its very easy because freeways have a different naming system etc.

Here the "National highway" may be borderline un-motorable and the tiny state road may be 10X better.

Unless we start following proper naming conventions and proper roads this problem will always be there.

So Google maps here should be used as a guideline and not instruction.
Old 26th June 2014, 11:57   #266
Senior - BHPian

Google Maps have really lost it. You are now being guided to no man's lands, deserted unused roads, highly congested narrow gullies where you get stuck and so on. Last trip to Gokarna and Goa was disastrous when I relied on Google maps for direction. A landmark like Om beach is not existing in the map. I was guided to some Om Ayurveda resort.
Old 26th June 2014, 12:02   #267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Google Maps have really lost it. You are now being guided to no man's lands, deserted unused roads, highly congested narrow gullies where you get stuck and so on.
That is the case with any GPS, I have used satguide, MMI, Garmin, Google and Nokia GPS navigators. Why only Google loses it?
Old 26th June 2014, 12:03   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That is the case with any GPS, I have used satguide, MMI, Garmin, Google and Nokia GPS navigators. Why only Google loses it?
May be. But Google maps used to be more reliable one or two years back atleast from my experience. One would expect an increase in the accuracy and navigational capabilities when more and more people start using it, not the other way.

Last edited by poloman : 26th June 2014 at 12:06.
Old 26th June 2014, 12:07   #269
Team-BHP Support

Maps keep getting changed because of newer roads and flyovers and newer buildings. So errors keep getting into the system.

GPS navigation in India is more like pirate code, it should be considered a guideline, and not absolute direction.

Old 26th June 2014, 12:09   #270
Senior - BHPian

Agree.. but what about the errors i pointed out. Do you think that Om Beach is a place which should be missed in the map?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks