Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2010, 17:13   #736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Get the PS3 slim 250GB with Uncharted 2 bundled for about 21250/- with bill & Sony India warranty from here
You just beat me to that, seen the deal today only. BTW, have you seen the PS2 to PS3 controller converter there? If that works then I can use my PS2 controllers sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
Well I find the mouse more faster and more accurate while aiming and shooting. I have played both KZ2 and UC1 and am still not that fast with the gamepad. I thought of buying the FragFX FPS controller from play-asia but haven't been able to find someone who has used it and can recommend it.
Yup, even I'm not so good at that but slowly the hit ratios are increasing. Mind sharing some more details about the FragFX controller?
Old 9th January 2010, 03:23   #737
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer87 View Post
hi,
one of my family friend in california has bought a ps3 slim for me and is planning to ship it to India. he would be shipping a ps3 slim console and uncharted 2 disc. Would i have to pay any customs/duties and how much ? is there any way to avoid it ? please give all possible solutions or suggestions. i believe the total shipment value should be anywhere between $350 - 380$ including console and the game disc.
guys please help me on this matter regarding ps3 slim being shipped from usa, would i have to pay any duties/taxes/vat and if yes then how much in total. see above for details.
Old 10th January 2010, 15:56   #738
BHPian

I guess there are no additional charges

Quote:
guys please help me on this matter regarding ps3 slim being shipped from usa, would i have to pay any duties/taxes/vat and if yes then how much in total. see above for details.
I don't think that there are any additional shipping charges. I mean, the carrier would take care of the shipping. So if he has paid the amount during the shipping, that would have been enough.
Old 10th January 2010, 18:43   #739
BHPian

Quote:
yes, if custom's catch it, you will end up paying a good amount of custom's duty on it.
Also hope you are aware, bluray is region coded and you may not be able to play all bluray movies bought in India on a US PS3. Fortunately games are region free

PS - it would be a safer bet if your family friend or someone travelling to India carried it in their hand baggage (don't check-in as it can be mis-handled), as 25k INR worth of goodies are allowed duty free.

Last edited by jassi : 10th January 2010 at 18:45.
Old 10th January 2010, 21:08   #740
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
yes, if custom's catch it, you will end up paying a good amount of custom's duty on it.
Also hope you are aware, bluray is region coded and you may not be able to play all bluray movies bought in India on a US PS3. Fortunately games are region free

PS - it would be a safer bet if your family friend or someone travelling to India carried it in their hand baggage (don't check-in as it can be mis-handled), as 25k INR worth of goodies are allowed duty free.
hey, thankx for the info regarding the customs. yes, i know that the some movies would be region locked but that allright. my main purpose is gaming where in the games are region free. If it is caught in customs, how much would i end up paying. i am very eager to lay my hands on it, so can't wait for someone to bring it along.
Old 10th January 2010, 21:36   #741
BHPian

Well said, Jassi. It will be painless and safer to buy the PS3 in our own country with guaranteed warranty service by Sony India. No hassles whatsoever and peace of mind. Mind you, sometimes people get into problems when they try to upgrade the firmware and if Sony India declines warranty for the U.S-bought PS3, you will end up with a dead horse. ( I upgraded the system software version from 2.85 to 3.15 immediately after purchase and the update went through without any hassles. )

On 28 Dec 09, I bought my Sony PS3 Slim 250 GB ( Model No:CECH2008B bundled with Unchartered 2) at Sony World for Rs.22490/=. (Those interested in Playstation 3 Secrets look here )

According to the manual, for bluray disc the region code is C and for DVDs Region 5 and ALL. Playstation format CD ROM - PAL. I am not sure whether this will a problem when you get a PS3 from US where the format is NTSC.
Old 11th January 2010, 09:28   #742
BHPian

Quote:
If it is caught in customs, how much would i end up paying. i am very eager to lay my hands on it, so can't wait for someone to bring it along.
i think the customs duty vary from gadget to gadget, but it could be anything between 30 to 60%. I am attaching the custom duty rates (pdfs) - look through them for closest match to tv games or something. Not sure if these are the latest, but you can get these from customs india website.
I always carry them on my laptop, so that incase I get caught, I don't get fooled by customs. Also note that these duties are applicable only above the duty free limit of 25k for a person carrying the items. However if the item is shipped, there is no duty free allowance and the above rates will always apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
Well said, Jassi. It will be painless and safer to buy the PS3 in our own country with guaranteed warranty service by Sony India. No hassles whatsoever and peace of mind. Mind you, sometimes people get into problems when they try to upgrade the firmware and if Sony India declines warranty for the U.S-bought PS3, you will end up with a dead horse. ( I upgraded the system software version from 2.85 to 3.15 immediately after purchase and the update went through without any hassles. )

On 28 Dec 09, I bought my Sony PS3 Slim 250 GB ( Model No:CECH2008B bundled with Unchartered 2) at Sony World for Rs.22490/=. (Those interested in Playstation 3 Secrets look here )

According to the manual, for bluray disc the region code is C and for DVDs Region 5 and ALL. Playstation format CD ROM - PAL. I am not sure whether this will a problem when you get a PS3 from US where the format is NTSC.
Well I have 2 PS3s, my first PS3 is the 80gb one from US (got stolen and returned by bangy police) and the 2nd one is 40gb one from India.
Both of them are running latest firmware and I have had no issues with upgrades. Warranty is strictly not covered outside the country of purchase - you are on paid service.

Region codes for DVDs and Blurays are different. No problems with ntsc/pal as TVs are multi-system since last 20 yrs! DVDs have 5 region codes DVD region code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Bluray has only 3 region codes Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (basically region c is all the piracy countries like india/china )

In my experience, with Blurays as many as 60% of them are region free - you can check that out here Blu-Ray Region Code Info
Attached Files
File Type: pdf chap84.pdf (148.8 KB, 466 views)
File Type: pdf chap85.pdf (88.0 KB, 563 views)
File Type: pdf chap90.pdf (51.0 KB, 471 views)
File Type: pdf chap91-92.pdf (19.8 KB, 518 views)
Old 11th January 2010, 13:45   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Mind sharing some more details about the FragFX controller?
Well it is a FPS controller for PS3 with a separate mouse and a grip sixaxis controller. The optical mouse (right-hand only) has the four default PS buttons right where your thumb will rest and the “start” and “select” buttons under that middle finger of yours.The grip stick is essentially a Wiimote clone and it features a D-pad, analog joystick, Left and Right bumper buttons, sensitivity dial, and the ‘frag’ button.

Check out more details here on the official website
Dual SFX Frag Pro, Dual SFX Evolution, fragFX v2, Frevolution System, eyeFX 3D, motionFX, glideFX, edgeFX, dualFX - SplitFish AG

Here is review of the same
Review: SplitFish FragFX v.2 controller

And here is the play-asia link. It costs about 89USD or about 4127INR
Buy FragFX Controller (PS3) - Play-Asia.com

Quote:
On 28 Dec 09, I bought my Sony PS3 Slim 250 GB ( Model No:CECH2008B bundled with Unchartered 2) at Sony World for Rs.22490/=.
Congrats on your new PS3 and happy gaming!! BTW I thought only 120GB was available coz yesterday I was at croma and I saw the new PS3 slim 120GB uncharted 2 bundle for 22490/-.
Old 14th January 2010, 19:00   #744
BHPian

I am getting a 250GB PS3 soon. I just want to confirm before buying it that if its possible to play avi/divx videos through a portable hdd atttached to the usb port? Then all i need to get is an additional Blue Ray remote. Please help me out guys, thanks...

P.S. Also since the PS3 has a 250gig hdd, does it work as a standalone hdd if i unplug it and bring it to work to upload video files onto it?
Old 15th January 2010, 00:45   #745
Senior - BHPian

No you dont need the remote. It can play media off any usb drives and it playes most of the popular (downloaded) formats work fine. I suggest just use a drive to copy content. Taking the whole unit seems like a bit much dont you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
I am getting a 250GB PS3 soon. I just want to confirm before buying it that if its possible to play avi/divx videos through a portable hdd atttached to the usb port? Then all i need to get is an additional Blue Ray remote. Please help me out guys, thanks...

P.S. Also since the PS3 has a 250gig hdd, does it work as a standalone hdd if i unplug it and bring it to work to upload video files onto it?
Old 15th January 2010, 01:06   #746
BHPian

I have a strange query here. I have a 120 GB PlayStation 3 Slim with me, bought couple of months before. Last week i received a xBox 360 from my friend as a gift!

Now, One of it needs to go. Should i sell the PlayStation 3 or the Xbox 360? The Xbox is modded to play pirated games, but the PS3 stays original. I have a HDMI Cable that came along with the PS3, So i would have that much difference w r t graphics.

Investing 2000 bucks for every game on the PS3 is worth it? Or should i be wise by Selling the PS3 and start playing with the Xbox 360? Please advice.
Old 15th January 2010, 05:02   #747
BHPian

Quote:
........I just want to confirm before buying it that if its possible to play avi/divx videos through a portable hdd atttached to the usb port?........ P.S. Also since the PS3 has a 250gig hdd, does it work as a standalone hdd if i unplug it and bring it to work to upload video files onto it?
My Seagate 320GB Seagate FreeAgent Go Portable HDD (in which I have all my media files including some Divx) was not recognised by my PS3 Slim 250GB. I presume that is because it is NTFS formatted. It should be able to recognise and play DivX files if it were formatted in Fat32. I shall create a Fat32 partition in it, try to play the DivX files and then confirm. (My LG 42LH60YR LCD TV plays the DivX files straight from the Seagate Portable drive)

Just curious, I copied the DivX files to a 8GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro pen drive to play through the PS3. Here are the pictures.

XBox, Playstation and other gaming consoles-usb1.jpg

The drive is recognised. If you just select it and press the enter button, it will read "There are no titles". Instead you just press the "Optons" button select "Display all" and press "Enter" the titles are presented.

XBox, Playstation and other gaming consoles-usb2.jpg

Select the title and press "Enter" and the play starts in its original mode. The picture is so small. ( hufff........... I am still in the learning process)

XBox, Playstation and other gaming consoles-usb3-1.jpg

Now press the Options button to bring the control Panel on the screen and select the Screen mode. Press "Enter" to cycle through Normal or Zoom or Full Screen modes.Choose Normal to view the file. Press the options button again to remove the control panel and you are good to go. Relax and enjoy.

XBox, Playstation and other gaming consoles-usb4.jpg

I feel awkward using the wireless controller to do all these and am comfortable with the BD Remote which costs just Rs.1490.

The Sony PS3 Slim has a user-replaceable HDD unlike the old fat PS3s and you will not void the warranty replacing it. But why all the hassles when you can play it from the USB drives or copy it to the PS3 from the USB drive or stream it from your PC?

(I wish someone writes a tutorial on how to set up the wireless network in the PS3. While I am able to connect to the network without any security enabled, I have not been able to connect with WPA2-PSK security enabled. Still trying hard.)
Old 15th January 2010, 07:30   #748
BHPian

Quote:

The Sony PS3 Slim has a user-replaceable HDD unlike the old fat PS3s and you will not void the warranty replacing it. But why all the hassles when you can play it from the USB drives or copy it to the PS3 from the USB drive or stream it from your PC?
PS3 only recognizes fat32 formatted hdds and not ntfs. The old fat PS3s also allowed for the user to replace the internal hdd without voiding warranty. Not only that Sony even allows to install linux. Must say Sony has been very accommodating of the geek community
Old 15th January 2010, 08:38   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
....... Not only that Sony even allows to install linux. Must say Sony has been very accommodating of the geek community
Not any longer with Slim PS3s. If anyone has an idea of installing Linux on the Slim PS3, he better give up.
Old 15th January 2010, 15:18   #750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

AFAIK you can not attach more then 32GB device to USB port ( FAT 32) the restriction is built in because each file can not be more then 4GB and thus the HD content pircay can be protected this is inline with various tactics of HDCP folks so if your avi/dvix is more then 4Gb you can not fit it on FAT32 File system and thus can not play from USB.

Regarding your other query using the 250 GB hard disk. there are two methods. Somehow if you can create a network share on it ( using Linux should be possible) or just take out the HDD put it in a PC or external enclosure and dump data.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks