Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2016, 19:21   #8176
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 254
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Guys, when purchasing tvs, please take into consideration service availability and cost associated to it. I had the misfortune recently of 2 of my TVs having issues. The first one LG 37 inch, video stopped and I had to get the board replaced. LG did not agree for board repair. Cost me 7000 Rs.
My Sony 46 inch, video was scrolling and had a red color negative image. Called Sony service and the technician immediately know the issue. He replaced a chip - removed the board, desoldered and soldered the replacement chip in about 15 mins. TV back to normal and cost only 2200 Rs. It was a very tiny chip about 5 mm long and 2-3 mm wide with 6 legs. Didnt get time to check more as he finished so fast.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 21:24   #8177
vdi
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: cochin
Posts: 109
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

How is this windows TV by Videocon?

Heard about some good offers due to Onam here at Cochin.
vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 09:15   #8178
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: @ Driver's Seat @
Posts: 683
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Can anyone guide me the steps to clean the screen of LED TV. My sony TV is becoming a dust magnet.

Will microfibre cloth help in anyway ?

Appreciate your inputs
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 09:48   #8179
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 414
Thanked: 161 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi View Post
How is this windows TV by Videocon?

Heard about some good offers due to Onam here at Cochin.

Me and my friend picked up a Videocon 40 incher about 2 years back from Croma under-exchange. Our sole purpose was to watch movies and play PS4 games. While my friend's TV is working flawlessly, I can see some vertical lines on the screen of mine. Sometimes there is just one line, sometimes there are 5-6 of these. Upon inquiry I was told that I will have to replace the panel which will cost a cool 16k, almost 2/3rd of what I paid for it. I chose to give it a pass.

So take a call. I still use it as I've gotten used to these lines. Also, all I was expecting from this TV was to last me 3 years before I upgrade to a bigger screen. Which I will, soon enough.

If you really want a long term TV, go for a better brand and get additional warranty as your budget is anyway around 40k. Not sure what support will you get from windows in a long run.

Whichever TV you pick up, don't forget to get the additional warranty.
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 13:22   #8180
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 28
Thanked: Once
Default Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
I've seen 2 55" LeEco TVs. Both had considerable light leaks on 3 corners of the screen. A huge one at the bottom right corner. Was put of by the backlight leak. Liked how APKs can be installed in the TV.

Does anyone know if the TCL 55" TV use an IPS LCD display? The viewing angle suggests it is. However, the website just mentions its an AUD LCD, and AUD turns out to the manufacturer and also listed it to be back lit LED with local dimming.
Yes their is a huge light bleeding issue at the corners and I had asked for the replacement from flipkart, lets see how does the replacement work.
amit_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 13:49   #8181
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 977
Thanked: 436 Times
Default Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Are the relatively cheaper brands like Micromax/Vu worth considering the fact a lot time (definitely not all the time), even the more expensive/reliable brands like Samsung/LG/Sony have failure in 2-5 years which lead to buying a new TV altogether ?

Of course not denying the fact that Samsung/LG/Sony may have far better quality/features.

Just considering picking up a 40" or larger actually and it will mostly be for seeing Netflix or regular movies/TV series off a HDD.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2016, 15:18   #8182
Senior - BHPian
 
parsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,517
Thanked: 956 Times
Default Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Are the relatively cheaper brands like Micromax/Vu worth considering the fact a lot time (definitely not all the time), even the more expensive/reliable brands like Samsung/LG/Sony have failure in 2-5 years which lead to buying a new TV altogether ?

Of course not denying the fact that Samsung/LG/Sony may have far better quality/features.

Just considering picking up a 40" or larger actually and it will mostly be for seeing Netflix or regular movies/TV series off a HDD.
We have been having great visual experience with Vu 49D6545, since about 6 months now without any issues, costed about 35k on Flipkart. Its nearly 49.5" screen actually although termed 48" in specs. We found the quality of screen much better to Micromax. Additionally, it has rooted Android 4.4.2 which is not fully functional Android system but decently usable web, few fight and racing games but non-working YouTube app which has to be used in browser. The sound is decent and fills room decently with surround sound feature. Vu has also come up with Opera System SMART models, but I think the Android versions for its Android usability would be better.

There is similar Noble brand of TVs too. Noble SMART TV (available on Amazon only) seems to be running same Android as my Vu TV. All are Chinese make, parts manufactured in China, assembled in India. Nothing much different with either, except check for display quality. For excellent sound, with either, a HT becomes must.

On other hand we have Sony 48" at another place which definitely looked good when bought long back but after experiencing Vu seems to be an unnecessary high spend now.
parsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 11:36   #8183
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,939
Thanked: 1,618 Times
Default Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Me and my friend picked up a Videocon 40 incher about 2 years back from Croma under-exchange.
If it was two years ago, you should have a 4 year warranty cover. Not to be mistaken for extended warranty. This warranty is direct from the company via a Videocon coupon issued by the dealer. I have this for my Videocon which was bought around the same time as you did. Videocon had a 4 year warranty deal going on around that time. Maybe you had not seen the advertisement in the papers.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 14:15   #8184
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 414
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
If it was two years ago, you should have a 4 year warranty cover. Not to be mistaken for extended warranty. This warranty is direct from the company via a Videocon coupon issued by the dealer. I have this for my Videocon which was bought around the same time as you did. Videocon had a 4 year warranty deal going on around that time. Maybe you had not seen the advertisement in the papers.
Yeah, I did not see any advertisement in the papers about it. We just walked in, paid up. Next day they delivered it and collected our CRT TVs. I called up Videocon service centre which seemed like a 3rd party contractor. He took my bill number and told me that the panel does not come under warranty. And Croma did confirm it too.
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 21:50   #8185
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,939
Thanked: 1,618 Times
Default Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
I called up Videocon service centre which seemed like a 3rd party contractor. He took my bill number and told me that the panel does not come under warranty.
It is worth confirming with Videocon if your TV did come with a 4 year warranty. Maybe you forgot to collect the coupon but that is not your fault. It is pretty evident that you were not even aware of the warranty extension by the company. When I bought the TV, the 3 years company provided extended warranty coupon was not available with Croma. They gave it to me a week later. As a reference, my tv was purchased in September 2014.

Yes; the service provider for Videocon is indeed a third party contractor and a dumb one called Tek Care India Private Limited. They support 3 other brands apart from Videocon.

At the start of the second year, one of hdmi terminals had failed. Quite easily, Tek Care washed their hands off the matter saying the TV was not in warranty. This is after furnishing the details of the 3 year additional warranty and with proof given by them! Then they said only the part will be changed and labor is chargeable. I refused. The contract terms clearly state no part or labor charges. This was also the phase a new person was coming in to charge at TekCare in my city so there was a disconnect on the problem. I finally posted on Videocon's facebook page and communicated the matter to them in detail. It took a month but I finally got the entire circuit board changed free of cost.

All said and done, this is one of the reasons why I probably won't buy a Videocon product again. What is a little assuring with Videocon over the other low cost players is they have been in the market for decades and are much better established than all the new Chinese players in the market. While service support is bad, there is some form of support.

I have a VKC40FH. Truth be told, it isn't a bad tv for 30k. HD looks great. SD less so. The on board usb video decoder is rubbish. Off course; you can buy a bigger Sanyo today for 25k but does the support network exist is the question. It appears Panasonic are distributing them but will they support the product three years down the line? The same applies for the new Leco brand. A new company selling high end led TV's for cheap and throwing in a 4 year warranty. Will the company be around four years later? That is anyone's guess.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 21st September 2016 at 21:59.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 12:36   #8186
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 34
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Hi - I am in the market for a 42 inch TV for the office. The purpose is to hang it on the wall and it will be playing corporate videos. I want a decent brand as it will be customer facing. Found these three options from Philips (2 Nos) and LG (1 Nos) in less than 30K. The average prices from Samsung, Sony seems to be at least 40-50K. Can the experts shed some light on the brands, and the features.

1. Philips 42 inch ₹ 26,990

2. Philips 40 inch ₹ 26990

3. LG 43 inch ₹ 29,990
areddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 14:45   #8187
BHPian
 
haria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: bangalore
Posts: 276
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
Hi - I am in the market for a 42 inch TV for the office. The purpose is to hang it on the wall and it will be playing corporate videos. I want a decent brand as it will be customer facing. Found these three options from Philips (2 Nos) and LG (1 Nos) in less than 30K. The average prices from Samsung, Sony seems to be at least 40-50K. Can the experts shed some light on the brands, and the features.
LG might be a better option. I am probably a bit biased towards LG and Panasonic.

One thing though, whichever TV you buy, ensure that it has both horizontal/vertical IPS. This ensures that there is no colour distortion when you see at an angle. Usually people bother only about the horizontal IPS as the TVs in house are generally at eye level. But if it is hung high on the wall, you need to ensure that there is no colour distortion is there.

On a side note, Vu, micromax, etc have very competitively priced TVs which can do the job what you primarily are looking for. This will save another 5 to 10k or so. Don't worry about the brand label of the TV. If you want, you can even put your company logo/sticker on that for advertisement! .
haria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 16:32   #8188
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 34
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
LG might be a better option. I am probably a bit biased towards LG and Panasonic.

One thing though, whichever TV you buy, ensure that it has both horizontal/vertical IPS. This ensures that there is no colour distortion when you see at an angle. Usually people bother only about the horizontal IPS as the TVs in house are generally at eye level. But if it is hung high on the wall, you need to ensure that there is no colour distortion is there.

On a side note, Vu, micromax, etc have very competitively priced TVs which can do the job what you primarily are looking for. This will save another 5 to 10k or so. Don't worry about the brand label of the TV. If you want, you can even put your company logo/sticker on that for advertisement! .
Thank you for the advice. How important is Horizontal/Vertical IPS? I am not able to get the information. Also LG is not available for delivery in Bangalore. Not sure what is the issue. So, I am down to the Philips option.

I do not have a very good opinion of Vu, Micromax etc., They do not have any their own expertise in these field and generally seem to import in bulk and put their label. I burnt my hands with similar brands before and prefer having something that I can hang on the wall and expect it to work.
areddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 18:44   #8189
BHPian
 
haria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: bangalore
Posts: 276
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by areddy View Post
How important is Horizontal/Vertical IPS? I am not able to get the information.
It IS important if the viewing angle is not going to be straight line (that is if it is hung high or kept at an angle, the viewing angle will obviously be not straight line.)

If you can visit a showroom, then it is easy to check - horizontal IPS
To check the horizontal IPS. Go about 150 or 160 degree left/right to the direction TV is facing. See the TV screen and check whether the colour/clarity of the programis same as that when seen when standing in a straight line to the tv.

Vertical IPS is a little more difficult as you may need to request them to hang the tv on the wall at a high place. Stand at various distances such that the angle is different. See whether any change in colour/clarity is there. Mostly this information will be available in the specs itself.
haria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 22:32   #8190
BHPian
 
wantarangerover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vadodara, IN
Posts: 154
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Sanyo has been reintroduced in India by their new owners Panasonic (apparently). There are two models available in Amazon, and the reviews are great for both.

The 43" is going for 25K, which is a nice price point I guess. Will this be a good option, given I am not keen on the "smart tv" stuff?
wantarangerover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Movies, Documentaries, games, etc to Showcase your hi-def plasma/lcd & HTS jassi Shifting gears 58 28th December 2010 19:11
Underglow Thread: Please post pics & info of underglow(neon/LED/etc.) kit on your car DIY Guru Modifications & Accessories 1 18th November 2010 03:08
LCD TV or (LCD montior+VGA Box) for Wii? ashwin489 Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th July 2009 14:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks