Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 13:10   #3826
Senior - BHPian

thanks pramods
i ve downloaded a number of nokia maps on my phone
and when I punch in the route queries within the city and/ or Bangalore Madras etc, I get all the bells and whistles including simulation voice guidance and the works which works wonderfully via my bluetooth headset etc.
However, if one is going to offbeat places, I feel that with India being pretty poorly mapped (as per GPS) and largely without proper signage etc, there may be a problem - not to mention the connectivity issues besides
Im going out tomorrow and will see if it works in the direction in which Im going.
Or else I will download / buy the mapmyindia maps or google maps or something. Does one have to buy google maps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Nokia Maps, don't work for remote location, they will only show the National Highways, they don't even have a road Map of cities like Nagpur, Mumbai and other metros city are shown on Nokia map, while the google map with GPS works quite well, but you need continuous GPRS/EDGE connection, where ever you have internet connection try using Google Map, and 90% time you will put on shown on the exact location.

I have used google map on my N95 with Airtel, mostly airtel support either GPRS/EDGE, am thinking on getting mapmyindia software MapmyIndia.com Online maps, GPS Navigation, Driving Directions, Local Search on my N95, they have offline map of India and seems to have better support, visit there site and if you like that, get this on, it even have route calculation and turn by turn voice navigation.

-Pramod
Old 18th September 2008, 13:54   #3827
BHPian

Google Map is free you don't have to buy this, point you mobile phone browser to Google Maps and it will present you the valid version for your mobile, google map are more detailed and they do have lots of place and route, but mapmyindia is a India specific solution and claim to have most of location, Ford recently joined hand with mapmyindia for car navigation system specific to cater India. I believe the best bet are mapmyindia and google map.

-Pramod.
Old 18th September 2008, 15:59   #3828
Senior - BHPian

thanks for your input
will try google maps then see what happens
cheers

Quote:
Google Map is free you don't have to buy this,
point you mobile phone browser to Google Maps and it will present you the valid version for your mobile, google map are more detailed and they do have lots of place and route, but mapmyindia is a India specific solution and claim to have most of location, Ford recently joined hand with mapmyindia for car navigation system specific to cater India. I believe the best bet are mapmyindia and google map.

-Pramod.
Old 18th September 2008, 16:29   #3829
Senior - BHPian

Mail for Exchange?

Is anyone using "Mail for Exchange" on Nokia E51 (or any other E series device), on a Vodafone network (preferably Mumbai)?

I want to know:
1. What data plan to be subscribed to? Costs?
2. What service/other settings need to be known from IT administrator of my company? Or can I set it up on my own?
3. Is this a service similar (and equally robust) as is BB push email? What other features does MFE provide ?

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 18th September 2008 at 16:31.
Old 18th September 2008, 17:39   #3830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Is anyone using "Mail for Exchange" on Nokia E51 (or any other E series device), on a Vodafone network (preferably Mumbai)?
2. What service/other settings need to be known from IT administrator of my company? Or can I set it up on my own?
3. Is this a service similar (and equally robust) as is BB push email? What other features does MFE provide ?
Please get this PDF from Nokia http://nds2.nokia.com/files/support/...xchg_Setup.pdf this explains the setup process in detail, and http://www.businesssoftware.nokia.co...TSG_v1.1.0.pdf this PDF for System Admin requirement , let him know to read Section 8 of this PDF of how to make Exchange Server serve email to Nokia device. I am not sure about data plan that you need from Vodaphone, Exchange do support push email support, but its dependent of Exchange server, 2007 support push notification and require the configuration to be done in that manner, mostly the mail for Exchange is pull time[schduled] or manual.

-Pramod
Old 18th September 2008, 19:54   #3831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have used google map on my N95 with Airtel, mostly airtel support either GPRS/EDGE, am thinking on getting mapmyindia software MapmyIndia.com Online maps, GPS Navigation, Driving Directions, Local Search on my N95, they have offline map of India and seems to have better support, visit there site and if you like that, get this on, it even have route calculation and turn by turn voice navigation.
Thanks for this post! I'd tried mapmyindia on my E90 (the iNavConnect version that need full-time GPRS) a month back, and I found it pretty nice. The only issue was that it needed full-time GPRS connectivity and the payment to them was basically a subscription-type of payment. They had offline SW & maps only for WiMo. Symbian had to use the "connect" version.

I just checked the website and apparently they have an offline version for Symbian now for 3950/-. I just spoke to their customer care guy (very helpful). The SW can't be downloaded online - they send us a CD. I'm going to buy it today. I asked the guy if we can transfer the license and SW to another phone,and he said there is no problem with that. The license will be active on only one phone at a time (and I have to buy a Symbian phone again, of course).

Last edited by hydrashok : 18th September 2008 at 19:55.
Old 19th September 2008, 12:01   #3832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawabnabeel View Post
no i am not upgrading from n73 but from w700i. i am not interested in buying a sony. i just wanted to know the loudspeaker volume while playing music in n78 & 82. music express series loudspeaker volume sucks
Then go for any SE walkman phone. They rule.

Disclaimer : I use the n82 but not for music
Old 19th September 2008, 19:41   #3833
BHPian

guys having a problem with my N73. I cannot get opera mini to connect to the internet anymore (i have airtel online). It was fine a few days ago but then a message saying that i couldnt access the WAP gateway popped up. I removed and reinstalled, still no dice. Funny thing is the nokia web browser is working fine..has airtel blocked opera mini?
Old 20th September 2008, 01:19   #3834
aZa
Senior - BHPian

you have to select the proper access point. AIRTEL_LIVE i think or MOBILE_OFFICE
Old 20th September 2008, 16:23   #3835
Senior - BHPian

HTC is on OVERDRIVE, have announced 3 new models yesterday:
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-homebanner_touch_viva_3g_hd.jpg
Old 21st September 2008, 12:30   #3836
F50
Senior - BHPian

@ aZa - The battery seems to be working fine. In past 21 days that thing happened only once. Jbak Taskman seems to be good because it is able to show the list of applications running in the background which the normal taskbar is not able to show.

Example (Weird one) - Camera. I dont use the Cam most of the time. But Jbak shows that my Cam is running and the normal taskbar will not. I have not started the Cam at all, somehow the Jbak is able to detect it running 2 or 3 times a day. Usually these are the 3 applications which are most of the time ON according to Jbak - Log, Contacts and Camera. Im dont know how the camera starts itself? I have seen this many times. If im opening an application and I tilt my phone to the left, just as the accelerometer kicks in, for a fraction of a second I can see the Cam's menu.

Something really wrong with my phone?

Other really weird query for all N73 users.

My brother bought a N73, dark plum color, 5 days ago. But day before yesterday the phone refuse to start. When switched on, a white screen appears with Nokia written thats it. No handshakes nothing.
What is it?
Old 21st September 2008, 13:00   #3837
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
My brother bought a N73, dark plum color, 5 days ago. But day before yesterday the phone refuse to start. When switched on, a white screen appears with Nokia written thats it. No handshakes nothing.
What is it?
Try this -

Switch-off your phone.

Press and hold these three keys together

-Green dial key,
-Star key (*)
-Three key (3)

then press the power on/off to swtich on the phone.
All Data will be erased (On phone memory).
Old 22nd September 2008, 07:10   #3838
BHPian

Bought AT&T Tilt (Kaiser) in India

Bought a brand new unlocked AT&T tilt in Bangalore 2 weeks back. Quite happy with the phone so far. The GPS on it is great. Using Satnav with Destinator 7. But Google maps has the best map for Bangalore.

I had some initial problems however. The phone came with latest WM6.1 from HTC. The screen used to freeze at times for 4-5 seconds and come back alive again. This used to repeat every 4-5 minutes. This was quite irritating and I was about to return the phone. After reading through xda-developers.com, I realised than many Kaiser users face this problem after WM6.1 upgrade. After trying out many things, I finally solved the issue. Here's what I did,

1. Increased pagepool of ROM from dynamic to 18MB and flashed again
2. Changed the existing HardSPL (which was v1) to latest HardSPL 3.56
4. Changed Radio to 1.71.09.01.
4. Additionally used KaiserTweaks to improve file/gui caching.

Can anyone who bought Kaiser in India, tell me the ROM and Radio version that comes installed? This can seen in Start -> Settings -> System -> Device Information.

Thanks in advance,
Nirmal
Old 22nd September 2008, 09:18   #3839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Jbak Taskman seems to be good because it is able to show the list of applications running in the background which the normal taskbar is not able to show.

... Jbak shows that my Cam is running and the normal taskbar will not. I have not started the Cam at all, somehow the Jbak is able to detect it running 2 or 3 times a day. Usually these are the 3 applications which are most of the time ON according to Jbak - Log, Contacts and Camera. ...
Could it be that JBak displays commonly used apps also, along with runing apps? I don't use JBak Taskman, so I don't know about this.

I use Handy Taskman, and this app has the option of displaying either just apps running in the background (better option), or both apps running in the background and commonly used tasks, all in the same list. This threw me for a loop when I reinstalled HandyTaskman after a FW upgrade, but after a while I figured it out. Till I did, I was wondering the same thing as you.

Quote:
Other really weird query for all N73 users.
What is it?
Looks like you might need to hard reset the phone (100% loss of data) :(
If you can, get it checked at a Nokia Care Center first.
Old 22nd September 2008, 09:58   #3840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
Bought a brand new unlocked AT&T tilt in Bangalore 2 weeks back. Quite happy with the phone so far. The GPS on it is great. Using Satnav with Destinator 7. But Google maps has the best map for Bangalore.
Thanks in advance,
Nirmal
This will the HTC TynTyn II right? Does this still cost 30k here?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks