Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2011, 10:31   #106
Team-BHP Support

re: shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Okie the 70k - 80k life of the Swift was eventful to say the least. To top it off the car is dead as a bat now.
Two questions :
- any battery recommendations? i remember reading a thread on Swift diesel batteries but can't seems to find it. Bosch and Amaron are my preferred brands.
- do batteries die suddenly? Would a battery checkup a week earlier have pointed to the fact that all was not well?

Drive on,
Shibu.
Amaron or Bosch both are manufactured by amaraja if am not mistaken.

Yes batteries do die suddenly, but sometime they give out some indications little early, like a weak cranking, the warning lights playing christmas tree in swift d etc

Quote:
I got a Bosch DIN74. Cost me 7.9k. I got 700 bucks for the old battery. Now I need to fit it into the car.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Good choice.
Old 11th March 2011, 00:48   #107
Senior - BHPian

Well the 70k to 80k interval seemed to be when the Swift decided that time had come for some replacement and not so regular maintenance. Initially I felt that the car was running well enough to forego the regular 10k service at 70k except for the oil change. However a ticking/tapping sound that cropped up as I braked, especially on slow braking forced me to the service station.

The problem was diagnosed as a scored and cut rear drum and slight groves on the front brake rotors. The front pads and the brake rotor was sandpapered and I was told to bring the drum for lathe polishing later. The brakes both front and back were overhauled as well in addition to the regular paid service. Set back - 1500 rupees.

1000kms after the service the braking noise cropped up again. Now it was a bit worrying but i went and had the service station take a looks at it. The problem was diagnosed as worn out top bushes of the front struts. In addition the steering box needed an overhaul as well. At that time there was a shortage for the top bushes of the front strut so I sourced one from a retail spares shop at Trivandrum. The works done on the car was
1. Replacement of the top bushes on both the front struts
2. Replacement of the anti roll bar bushes
3. Front suspension overhaul
4. Steering box overhaul
5. The balance rod on the left was also replaced.

The front strut bush and where it goes.
shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-front-strut-bush.jpg

The balance rod and where it attaches to
shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-balancerod.jpg

Setback - 2800 Gandhis.

This change made a marked different in the handling department especially at the front. The ride to became softer and more pliant but not for long. 1000 kms later it was back to it's hard, bumpy best.

Another visit saw the car get the rear brake drum polished. That was 1000 rupees as I stupidly aceepted a 300 rupee car wash that basically was a disappointing affair.

80k saw the car go in for the reqular service. Fluids were replaced that is the transmission oil and the brake oil. Front brake overhaul, fuel filter replacement saw the total service cost come upto 3900 rupees.

And then as documented below the battery decided it was time to go to battery heaven. So that was another 7900 rupees.

Oil replacement saw anothe 1100 rupees added to make it a total of 14300 rupees. Wheeee!! thats a lot but i hope that keeps the Swift happy for the next odd 80k kilometers. The battery incident was the first time she refused to budge!!

A 1000kms in the family i20 made me realise why I simply love driving the Swift. As a drivers car it pretty much ticks all the right boxes.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 11th March 2011, 16:24   #108
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the updates. Was the first sound actually due to the brakes or was it a case of problem with the bush and they helped your brakes

Happy Motoring.
Old 13th March 2011, 13:33   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Thanks for the updates. Was the first sound actually due to the brakes or was it a case of problem with the bush and they helped your brakes

Happy Motoring.
Happy to keep you posted

Well, they did something that made the problem go away for the next 1000kms and the braking improved as well. The suspension job as well as the steering overhaul did make an improvement. I would give them the benefit of doubt especially since I let them know as soon as possible that the last service was not along expected lines. The approach that I use with service centers is to build long term histories as long as it is geographically possible. i also hand over my car to one particular SA : as long as he stays with them that is.... Things are not perfect but they are responsive and have kept my car in decent health.

Drive on,
Shibu

Last edited by shibujp : 13th March 2011 at 13:34. Reason: dang spelling mistakes!!
Old 5th June 2011, 00:04   #110
Senior - BHPian

Re: shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term Report - 90,000 km update

...and it's time for the 90k service.

The Swift completed three years with me on May 21st. Done around 89500 odd kilometres so I decided to take it up for the 90k service.

Didn't have much complaints except for a tick, tick noise that came from the steering when turned from side to side with the ignition switched off - no PS.

Also the last time they serviced the car, the handbrake would engage completely only around the highest point.

Turns out that the steering problem was a pair of fault tie rods - costing around 1063 a piece.

During brake overhaul, it was found out that one of the rear brake shoes had only around 5k left. I usually stick to a 10k service interval so that was replaced. They only come in sets of 4 costing 1300 a set.

shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update-photo-0311.jpg

Pic : Tie rod on top and brake shoe below

Total service cost came to around Rs 6140.

Service History
I also requested a complete service history till date. Just totalled the service costs and it worked out to around Rs 38000 for 90,000 km. Around 40 ps per kilometer. Pretty decent I think.

Post Service
Post service the suspension feels very nice and the steering feels good. The occasions sounds while turning, rough roads and suspension noise has been reduced.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 5th June 2011 at 00:07.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 05:07   #111
TOR
BHPian

Quote:
4. Steering box overhaul
First off thanks for the updates-they are really helpful.

Could you throw some more light on the above?

Why was it done and what was done?

Also where did you get the car serviced?
Old 5th June 2011, 22:25   #112
Senior - BHPian

@TOR

A steering box overhaul in this particular case was done when I heard a sound while turning the steering wheel. I could reproduce the sound by switching off the engine so that the power steering was off. Then when I rocked the steering from side to side without actually turning the tyres - I could hear a knocking sound.

In another instance I got it overhauled when the sound used to come while turning the wheels on bumpy roads.

Basically the steering box holds the set or gears and the rack and pinion used to steer the wheels. The piece connecting the box to the wheels are the tie rods. This was what I had replaced this time round.

The steering box develops some play between it's components after some time. The time depends on how the car is used. The play can be adjusted to an extent by a screw on the box. In certain cases the bushes and components of the steering box will have just too much play to adjust it using the screw - this usually calls for a overhaul when the steering box is taken apart and bushes replaced and the box reset - based on my understanding so far - I have not actually seen this process.

I get my car serviced at AVG. Thiruvalla.

Drive on!
Shibu.
Old 1st July 2011, 10:40   #113
BHPian

Re: Service at 66K KMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranendra View Post
Dear All,

I finally did a service for my vehicle at 66K KMS from my MASS.

Based on inputs from Shibu I had specifically asked the Service Advisor to use Mobil Delvac 1 ESP in my car at this 15K oil change.

But to my surprise when the billing was generated I found that it said "Mobil 1 0W-40".

I was surprised and immediately caught hold of the SA. He said that they might have written the part number wrong. But I doubt that is the case.

In any case I have written to their Workshop Manager today and am waiting for a proper explanation from them. If they are not getting back then I am planning to write to Maruti about this.

Here is what I wrote to the Workshop Manager.

Any suggestions to fight this kind of a cheating?

Ranendra
Rajendra,
Mohan motors does not stock Mobil delvac 1 but only Mobil1 which is not for diesel engine.
You should raise it to maruti. I know the oil supplier to Mohan (Spectrum, Mobil distributor in Kolkata).
They have asked me to switch to synthetic every service but I outrightly rejected knowing the fact.
On a brighter note, my dzire has consumed two sets of brake pads in 60 K. Yours is definitely a good piece of machine and your driving is a thing to learn. Tyres definitely can last for 80K. Clutch can go on for 1 Lakh or beyond. Bur brake pads.
Am seriously thinking of learning driving from scratch. Will you teach?

Last edited by Eddy : 10th July 2011 at 23:12. Reason: Quoting a pic hampers readability for our mobile users.
sinhsha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:17   #114
BHPian

Hi Sinhsha,

Thank you for the update regarding Mohan's Engine Oils.

I am approaching my 80K service very soon. This time I too am planning to either get it from them in writing that they are providing Mobil Delvac 1 for My Swift VDi. In case they do not, I believe I should take it up with Maruti.

However, last time Maruti's response was as follows:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Dutta,

Thank you for visiting our website

We do highly appreciate the interest shown and the faith entrusted by you in our product and in Maruti Suzuki.

With reference to your query, we request you to kindly contact any of the nearest Maruti authorized workshop or service stations as they will be able to provide you with the information regarding the same. In order to get details regarding the dealer workshop or Maruti authorized service stations, please visit the following URL:

http://www.marutisuzuki.com/dealer.a...DL&did=Service

Please feel free to revert in case of any query or clarification.

Regards,
ANY TIME MARUTI
(Call- 9910202020 or Toll Free-1800 1800 180)
International Toll Free Numbers:
1866 527 5698 (From USA and Canada)
0800 0852247 (From UK)
Please visit us at Maruti Suzuki company manufactures the best selling cars in India
Hence I do not know whether they will at all help.

My alternatives are:
1. Switch back to the standard engine oil that they provide and stick with 5K engine oil change interval. This is a bit inconvenient since I almost clock 5K in 2.5 months approx. So need to visit the MASS 4 times in a year. Waste of time.

2. Make Mohun agree to fill up Mobil Delvac 1 that I purchase from outside. (However I have no idea from where I can get it).

Oh! yes. I drive very smoothly. Generally dont use brakes often . Engine braking and anticipation in the roads lets me avoid unnecessary braking. The other proof of it is that I consistently get a mileage of about 18 to 21 in Kolkata city with my car. Clutch is still soft and holds well. Would be completing 80K in a week or two.

May be I had never had to do a panic breaking hence feel brakes are still good. Mohan Service Advisor said in the 65K service that it looks like new. Not sure if I should go by his advice.

I have driven my Swift for 79K and my previous Alto for 46K in the last 6 years and in my 125K I did not have a single accident. So am happy with my driving. Also, luck too plays a part for sure.

And thanks for your compliments.

Regards
Ranendra
Old 2nd July 2011, 22:10   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranendra View Post
So need to visit the MASS 4 times in a year. Waste of time.
I drive approx 2800 kms a month and follow the 5k change interval. Get the oil changed at a small service station at the diesel bunk I frequent. Takes 10 min.
Something you may want to consider.

Quote:
I have driven my Swift for 79K and my previous Alto for 46K in the last 6 years and in my 125K I did not have a single accident.
Touchwood
Old 5th July 2011, 10:22   #116
BHPian

Hi Rajendra,
You will get mobil delvac1 from Spectrum (Mobil distributor in Kolkata). But as they are not retailer, you have to call them in advance.
You can get in touch with Spectrum's Business manager - Mr. T D Chaoudhury -9007006177
Regarding Mohan Motors, you should get your car serviced by service advisor named Mr. Asit Das (a friend of mine). You refer my name Shantanu Sinha and I hope you will not have reason for complain.
sinhsha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 22:32   #117
Senior - BHPian

@Rajendra,

I would suggest you buy the oil yourself and provide it to MASS (if they agree).

Is you car still under warranty? If not, just get it done at a local work shop that is familiar with the job. The oil filter can be got from one of those retail spare shop that Maruti usually has.

Here are the parts involved in an oil change - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...hange-diy.html.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 14th July 2011, 01:39   #118
BHPian

Quote:
@Rajendra,

I would suggest you buy the oil yourself and provide it to MASS (if they agree).

Is you car still under warranty? If not, just get it done at a local work shop that is familiar with the job. The oil filter can be got from one of those retail spare shop that Maruti usually has.
My car is not definitely in the warranty period and I feel I should get the oil change done with Mobil Delvac 1 from one of the local workshops these days and procure the oil filter from a retail spare.

Thanks much for your suggestions. Booked a service next week. Shall keep you informed.

Regards
Ranendra
Old 29th August 2011, 21:56   #119
BANNED

Re: My evergreen Swift even after 60K

Hi shibu,i have a 2008 oct swift and i was in double mind whether to have it or sell it as it has touched 44500kms.

but after reading your long term report i feel i should stay with my car for another two years and by then i think it will touch 90k kms.My only concern was the resale value,any idea on that

Last edited by joshguy : 29th August 2011 at 22:08.
Old 10th September 2011, 21:49   #120
Senior - BHPian

Re: My evergreen Swift even after 60K

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi shibu,i have a 2008 oct swift and i was in double mind whether to have it or sell it as it has touched 44500kms.

but after reading your long term report i feel i should stay with my car for another two years and by then i think it will touch 90k kms.My only concern was the resale value,any idea on that
Sorry for a late reply. Of late I've been thinking about the same too. I think my car being a little over 3 years old and having done close to a lakh kilometers now should be worth around 3 - 3.5 lakhs. Your's would be close to 4 i guess. Again you are actually saving on every km you drive after 50k because by then you have broken even the extra cost you paid to buy a diesel v/s the petrol.

Of course the resale goes down the more kms you put on it. But if you maintain it well and look after it you can get a very decent price.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks