Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2013, 00:18   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 1,30,000 service report

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
...15' might be more of a rocky ride though...
For Swift, a 195/60 R15 is known to offer the BEST ride & handling combo, with the minimal error. Why do you feel the ride could be rocky?

Quote:
I used 205/60 14" ES100s which gave me a great ride and sweet handling...
Quote:
...I right now use the 185/70 R14 Michelin XM2. Beautiful ride but can't match the handling and braking feel of the ES100s. The tyres have made the car peppier too - an effect of the reduce drag....
Not a fair comparison! You are comparing a 205 section tyre to a 185. Obviously the Yokos would be better in terms of braking & cornering for the extra contact patch. And the Michelin will be peppier because of the lesser contact patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe angelo View Post
...planning to buy the yoko s-drive 195/55r 15 or the 205/50/r15...

i wanna try the s-drive 195/50 r 15 or 205/50 but feared of the bad roads in kerala...
I am not sure the sizes you mention is correct. 195/60 R15 is the correct size for a Swift.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 25th March 2013 at 00:22.
Old 25th March 2013, 15:56   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
For Swift, a 195/60 R15 is known to offer the BEST ride & handling combo, with the minimal error. Why do you feel the ride could be rocky?

Not a fair comparison! You are comparing a 205 section tyre to a 185. Obviously the Yokos would be better in terms of braking & cornering for the extra contact patch. And the Michelin will be peppier because of the lesser contact patch.

I am not sure the sizes you mention is correct. 195/60 R15 is the correct size for a Swift.
i was planning to get the yoko sdrive 195/50/R15, or 205/55/R15. as i am scared of the poth holes in kerala , i am planning to get 205/55 as the aspect ratio is more and ground clearence is little more higher. have to sacrifise the smooth steering though. lets see.
Old 26th March 2013, 01:16   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Taller side profile.

Quote:
You are comparing a 205 section tyre to a 185. Obviously the Yokos would be better in terms of braking & cornering for the extra contact patch. And the Michelin will be peppier because of the lesser contact patch.
No comparison intended. Just a statement on the difference in driving feel.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 26th March 2013, 01:26   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, are you on the original clutch even now? If not, at what mileage did you change it?

At any point of time, did you feel the turbo thrust has become linear and the turbo spooling later than usual?

I am going thru this issue now and the A$$ says, since the clutch has worn out well, it could have contributed to the late turbo surge.

I believe you would have changed the timing belt / chain @ ~1L kms? How much did it cost?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th March 2013 at 01:42. Reason: Corrected "change" to "chain" in the last line!
Old 26th March 2013, 01:38   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, are you on the original clutch even now? If not, at what mileage did you change it?

At any point of time, did you feel the turbo thrust has become linear and the turbo spooling later than usual?

I am going thru this issue now and the A$$ says, since the clutch has worn out well, it could have contributed to the late turbo surge.

I believe you would have changed the timing belt / change @ ~1L kms? How much did it cost?
Original clutch still seems going strong - touchwood. A timing chain change had been recommended in another 20k by the service centre. Still running on the first timing belt. Quoted 5K on parts and labour for the same.

Turbo still boosting at around the 2k mark. Wouldn't a worn out clutch show symptoms while shifting?

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 26th March 2013, 01:43   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Original clutch still seems going strong - touchwood. A timing chain change had been recommended in another 20k by the service centre. Still running on the first timing belt. Quoted 5K on parts and labour for the same.

Turbo still boosting at around the 2k mark. Wouldn't a worn out clutch show symptoms while shifting?...
Seems you got very good driving skills! My clutch has started juddering in 1st gear. They say it may run for another 20K kms though. And I was advised a timing chain replacement at 90K kms! My car is at ~83K kms.
Old 16th November 2013, 11:19   #157
BHPian

Re: shibujp's Swift Diesel Long term report - 1,30,000 kms update

Thanks Shiju. Your detailed report is a guide and an inspiration to a fellow Swift owner like me. Many thanks and I wish you and your Swift, many more eventful kilometers.
Given the vast "hands-on" experience you've had, can you (or any knowledgeable Team-BHP'ians) please guide me on the following steering issue:

My Swift Vdi 2008Dec has done 58K. At approx 50K, I noted a clunk-clunk from the steering column, when the car hits a rough (gravel) patch (not necessarily a pothole) . MASS suggested replacing the steering assembly for 28K which I did not do. Instead, I got both front strut+strut assemblies + stabilizer links changed, which reduced the noise and increased ride comfort.
The noise persists and is getting worse, but please note, the noise manifests ONLY when I hit a rough patch with the steering at a slight left turn position (10' O Clock' orientation). I request your valued advise.
Old 18th November 2013, 22:54   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANNURAN View Post
Thanks Shiju. Your detailed report is a guide and an inspiration to a fellow Swift owner like me. Many thanks and I wish you and your Swift, many more eventful kilometers.
Given the vast "hands-on" experience you've had, can you (or any knowledgeable Team-BHP'ians) please guide me on the following steering issue:

My Swift Vdi 2008Dec has done 58K. At approx 50K, I noted a clunk-clunk from the steering column, when the car hits a rough (gravel) patch (not necessarily a pothole) . MASS suggested replacing the steering assembly for 28K which I did not do. Instead, I got both front strut+strut assemblies + stabilizer links changed, which reduced the noise and increased ride comfort.
The noise persists and is getting worse, but please note, the noise manifests ONLY when I hit a rough patch with the steering at a slight left turn position (10' O Clock' orientation). I request your valued advise.
I had the same problem in my SWIIFT ZDI (within 3000 kms) which was diagnosed to be a problem with the Power Steering unit. On the new Swift, the Power Steering module can be replaced without replacing the entire Steering Unit, hence cheaper.
I think your Steering Unit could be the problem.
snappysam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 10:54   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seems you got very good driving skills! My clutch has started juddering in 1st gear. They say it may run for another 20K kms though. And I was advised a timing chain replacement at 90K kms! My car is at ~83K kms.
WHAT ? These timing chains last the life time of an engine. Unless of course they start making a noise, you ll have to replace it, not otherwise. My Swift D is now at 85 thousand km and I don't plan to touch anything which is working fine because you never know what these MASS guys end up messing. In sorting one thing out, they ll spoil another 2.

Quote:

Go to a competent MASS, ask them to apply the special grease inside the damper and then adjust it. The noise will be gone.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 12:07   #160
BHPian

Quote:
My Swift Vdi 2008Dec has done 58K. At approx 50K, I noted a clunk-clunk from the steering column, when the car hits a rough (gravel) patch (not necessarily a pothole) .
I faced exactly similar problem in my 08' Swift Vdi at 70k. MASS did steering overhaul, re-greased it and put it back. There is no noise now. Been to Ladakh after that and still running fine. But remember to do it at competent MASS. Your alignment can go for a toss if not done properly. My car started pulling towards left. After playing with wheel alignment for a day it was decided to re-overhaul steering again. Second time they did perfect job.

This job needs time and patience hence give it to MASS when there is no rush (weekdays). It would cost you around 4-5k at MASS. Get the wheel alignment also done from them even if it costs more at MASS so that everything is sorted out then and there itself.
abhijitvp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 18:57   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Shiju. Your detailed report is a guide and an inspiration to a fellow Swift owner like me. Many thanks and I wish you and your Swift, many more eventful kilometers. Given the vast "hands-on" experience you've had, can you (or any knowledgeable Team-BHP'ians) please guide me on the following steering issue: My Swift Vdi 2008Dec has done 58K. At approx 50K, I noted a clunk-clunk from the steering column, when the car hits a rough (gravel) patch (not necessarily a pothole) . MASS suggested replacing the steering assembly for 28K which I did not do. Instead, I got both front strut+strut assemblies + stabilizer links changed, which reduced the noise and increased ride comfort. The noise persists and is getting worse, but please note, the noise manifests ONLY when I hit a rough patch with the steering at a slight left turn position (10' O Clock' orientation). I request your valued advise.
I think this "clunk-clunk" noise is from linkages either left or right, get it checked, most probably need to tighten the damper and adjust the steering rake. I have encountered the similar issues in my Ritz Vdi twice. In first time MASS changed the left linkage under warranty and now @ 75000 km lighten the damper and adjusted the rake and car is fine. I guess due to heavy weight of Diesel engine, Vdi model has this issue. Please correct me if wrong.
gaddiwale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 21:36   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitvp View Post
I faced exactly similar problem in my 08' Swift Vdi at 70k. MASS did steering overhaul, re-greased it and put it back. There is no noise now. Been to Ladakh after that and still running fine. But remember to do it at competent MASS. Your alignment can go for a toss if not done properly. My car started pulling towards left. After playing with wheel alignment for a day it was decided to re-overhaul steering again. Second time they did perfect job.

This job needs time and patience hence give it to MASS when there is no rush (weekdays). It would cost you around 4-5k at MASS. Get the wheel alignment also done from them even if it costs more at MASS so that everything is sorted out then and there itself.
Thanks Abhijit, and please, which MASS did you service your steering from. I am wayyy down South, in Kerala, but am planning a road trip to Mumbai. Could do the steering job when I am there.
Old 20th November 2013, 18:36   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Abhijit, and please, which MASS did you service your steering from. I am wayyy down South, in Kerala, but am planning a road trip to Mumbai. Could do the steering job when I am there.
If you ever come to Kochi, get it checked at Autoteam Service Center ( the only Maruti Service Masters in Kerala ). If you can let me know a few days before you arrive, I can ensure that the best people in Autoteam check out your vehicle.

You might want to check my experience with them in an old thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rs-cochin.html
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 19:05   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
If you ever come to Kochi, get it checked at Autoteam Service Center ( the only Maruti Service Masters in Kerala ). If you can let me know a few days before you arrive, I can ensure that the best people in Autoteam check out your vehicle.

You might want to check my experience with them in an old thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rs-cochin.html
Thank you so, somuch, Amalji. I want to leave tomorrow early morning from Calicut and can reach Kochi by about 1:00. I know well, Autoteam would need to check the vehicle before they advise how long the repair would take, but would be great if you could please use your contacts to hasten the repair and get me returning in a day.

I await your valued revert so that I can start tomorrow. Once again, MANY THANKS!!!!
Old 20th November 2013, 19:31   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Taller side profile.
A shorter side profile should make it un-comfortable ..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks