Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2012, 18:13   #256
BHPian

my basic doubt is- more fuel = more power. agreed. but what about higher engine temperatures with the higher fuel delivery?
Also your cooling system has to be good to sustain your speed or else you will blow the cylinder gasket.

I had advanced the timing on my sierra and it gave me better pick up, though the engine sound was a bit rough.

Note from Support - Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add more content to your post instead of submitting another back-to-back post.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th March 2013 at 09:46. Reason: Posts merged.
sirius1845 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 08:43   #257
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius1845 View Post
I had advanced the timing on my sierra and it gave me better pick up, though the engine sound was a bit rough.
Yup - does give better pickup, but the engine life is suspect!! Do not advance more than a few degrees! If engine is rough, then detonation occurs elsewhere!!
Old 26th April 2012, 10:40   #258
BHPian

yes, thats true. anyway my engine has clocked 2,25000km. so thought will give it a shot before i do the overhaul.
sirius1845 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 01:09   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
@Morph - I would love to know more about your fabia, why dont you create a separate thread or atleast PM me the details.
Apologies for the delay - I sold the car but I will try and dig up the details and PM them to you.
Old 24th August 2012, 10:07   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hey pugram,

You could try K&N filters and headers / free flow. Am not sure of the LPG fumigation kit though and am wondering where to source one from to try out?? ANy pointers on where it is available in Chennai?
I switched to a K&N Air Filter on my 2008 Mitsubishi Pajero SFX yesterday. The difference was noticeable instantly. I had serviced the Pajero the day before yesterday (standard 10k service) and along with the oil change, etc; I had also changed the air filter. Installed a stock Mitsubishi Air Filter MB1400. The very next day, I came across the K&N and on an impulse, replaced the stock filter with it. The K&N is 10 times the cost of a stock filter.

After the impulsive buy, I started the engine and drove off with a bit of trepidation. Did I do the right thing? Did I go overboard?

I noted the following:

- Improved (significant!) pick-up & power.

You feel the power not only when the turbo kicks in but even at lower RPMs. Noticeably lower depression of the accelerator. Could I feel a higher G-force when I pushed the pedal to the metal? Definitely.

- Smoother engine sound & improved air delivery into the engine
The engine sound was more refined. It seemed to be breathing better and if you go by the information on the Filter, the air-flow increases atleast 1.5 times on an average. You do see merit in the point that the manufacturer makes - using an ordinary filter is like breathing through a straw!

The Pajero has only done about a 100kms since the filter upgrade and I am going to note changes in fuel consumption at the 200kms mark. So, more on this later.

The K&N filter for the Pajero is currently retailing at about INR 6500 in New Delhi. If you can get your hands on the older priced filters then you should be paying about INR 5450. The filter cleaning & maintenance kit costs another INR 1000. Buy it, you will need it.

The K&N Filters come with a million mile warranty - definitely should outlive the Paj - as long as you service it at regular intervals. I used to clean my stock filters once in 2 weeks with compressed air. The suggestion I got for the K&N filter is that you should clean it once in 10,000kms but I would probably service it once a month or every 2000kms. A clean filter is always more efficient than a not-so-clean filter!

The cleaning suggestion is of course, subject to where you live - dry, dusty environments require more frequent cleaning. I live in Delhi, so I have not only dust to worry about but carbon blockage too. My last stock filter was begging to be replaced at 10,000 instead of the conventional 20,000kms - despite being cleaned every fortnight.

Afterthought? Why didn't I do this last year?

Incase you can't source a K&N Filter in your town, you could get in touch with the distributors:

Methods Automotive Pvt Ltd
#30/1, 7th Cross, Lavelle Road, Bangalore
info@methods.co.in, +91-80-22273939, +91-80-22217879

Happy driving!

NilanjanM
nilanjanm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 14:20   #261
Senior - BHPian

I had remapped my Fiesta Diesel with ToT & have covered closer to 20k kms. Had mentioned this on the Ford Fiesta Diesel tuning options thread. Got this email from ToT this morning & posting here for the benefit of larger crowd

Quote:
Dear Customer,

With Festivities just around the corner, Tune-O-Tronics is celebrating with an amazing offer of having your car tuned @ Rs. 20,000/- all incl. Now, you have NO excuse to hold on...

Offer is valid till the 15th of September 2012 , so do take advantage of this exclusive sale starting Today.

Enjoy freedom by Unleashing the true Potential of your Car!!!

Regards,

Team Tune-O-Tronics

Tune-O-Tronics
Performance Tuning Station

Website: Welcome to Tune-O-Tronics the mobile ecu remapping service, ecu tuning, remaps, performance, economy, fuel, cars.
Email ID: info@tune-o-tronics.com
Old 19th October 2012, 14:17   #262
BHPian

Has anyone tried any of the performance chips (Pete's or others) with an Ertiga diesel? I am under an impression it will reduce the drive-ability of the vehicle.
Old 8th November 2012, 00:27   #263
BHPian

Hi

I have a T-Fort 4x4 MT (facelift version) . One of my plan is to drive across India and try offroading in it as well. Recently, I heard about the Pete's box and Racedynamics' DieselTronics (plug and play kits).

Just wanted some suggestions based on your experience/expert advice on this. Which is the better one?

Some concerns I have are:
1. Will this impact the engine life in the long run?
2. Do insurance companies charge additional premium for cars with these kits?
3. Does it damage the ECU?
4. Do I need to change the engine oil for functioning of these kits?

Has anyone tried any of these on the T-fort recently?
Old 27th March 2013, 03:58   #264
BHPian

yes definitely, start off with a larger diameter free flow exhaust - get rid of the catalytic converter(see image). k&ns are expensive and not available for all models . so its best keep your air filter clean and replace them more often than recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance-c6270p.jpg  

ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance-mzk6401__99836_zoom.jpg  

ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance-ford_ranger_2_5__50636_zoom.jpg  

Old 27th March 2013, 04:41   #265
BHPian

as you can see in the picures here, the amount of "plumbing" that exists in a diesel cars OEM exhaust system. no doubt that this
kind of set up makes it extremely hard for the engine to "exhale"
i plan to fit this type of system on my '05 endeavour. hope to squeeze a little more torque and bhp out of it.
heres a video of a crazy free flow diesel

Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance-images864681.jpg  

ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance-diesel02.jpg  

ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance-20130321_161640_421.jpg  

ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance-hondaaccord19834drdxkaexhaustsystem_big00026906b__02_391c.gif  

Last edited by darxide : 27th March 2013 at 04:50.
Old 27th March 2013, 09:16   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru153 View Post
Hi

I have a T-Fort 4x4 MT (facelift version) . One of my plan is to drive across India and try offroading in it as well. Recently, I heard about the Pete's box and Racedynamics' DieselTronics (plug and play kits).

Just wanted some suggestions based on your experience/expert advice on this. Which is the better one?

Some concerns I have are:
1. Will this impact the engine life in the long run?
2. Do insurance companies charge additional premium for cars with these kits?
3. Does it damage the ECU?
4. Do I need to change the engine oil for functioning of these kits?

Has anyone tried any of these on the T-fort recently?
The RD Dieseltronic is a engine remap unit whereas the Petes works differently by increasing fuel rail pressure and fooling some sensors.

One does not need to change engine oil for these kits to work, and damage to the ECU is a debatable as both these work on two different strategies.

I personally prefer RD box
Old 28th March 2013, 08:59   #267

G'day mates!

So I was out on the market, looking for a car to buy and I tried out a wide variety without prejudice in the Indian market. Unfortunately, none whet my appetite.

We went back to the drawing board and decided to rework an existing Suzuki D'zire ZDI which had clocked roughly 90,000 kilometers.

Here's a few things we did that basically gave the car a new lease on life.

1. Changed the suspension. Now Maruti is great at building cheap value for money cars, but given Indian roads, stock suspensions are known to fail at about 60,000 kilometers. Ours was virtually non-existent. Head over to Red Rooster and picked out a set of Tien suspensions and configured them to Medium. Soft might provide too much roll and Hard has no business being used on Indian roads unless it's a circuit. - Cost approximately INR 75,000. (Might seem steep, but should you break them, they can be rebuilt, saving you a bunch of money there and they can handle some serious off-road driving without breaking a sweat)

2. Installed a Spider Diesel Tuning Box. In real world test conditions, I have gotten around 17 kilometers per liter in terms of fuel efficiency and a much more linear acceleration that provides a top speed of around 180 kilometers per hour and comfortable acceleration at top speeds to help overtake on highways. - Cost approximately INR 25,000

3. Installed a BMC stock filter. The difference this makes vs. the stock filter provided by Maruti is enormous. Never underestimate the breathing requirements of your engine. These also needn't be replaced for life. Just pop them out, wash them, dry them and put them back in. - Cost approximately INR 5,000.

4. Rebuilt the car seats with high density foam and then had them wrapped up in fine satin leather. Found a guy running a shop called Yellow Mellow - recommended by a guy from Red Rooster who charged me approximately INR 26,000 for a leather job that would have otherwise cost me INR 40,000 at Stanley or Ovion. You will want to rebuild the seats at by the time you hit some serious mileage, while the seat design on the Maruti Suzuki D'zire is most excellent, the sponge leaves one wanting and wears down to virtually non-existent conditions.

5. Upgraded the music system. Here for the Suzuki D'zire size, I found a JVC R500 Double DIN system with ARC component speakers in the front, an ARC 4 channel amplifier and ARC coaxial speakers in the back accompanied by a 12" Diamond sub woofer effective in drowning out any highway tire noise / traffic. For a car of this size, this seems the most value for money upgrade you can make. Anything more than this is near unnecessary, anything less than this would be a compromise. Expect to spend roughly INR 40,000 for the above.

6. HID lights. A must on the highways of India. I found P8 to be very effective a system with apparently a good warranty and after sales service in India.

7. SPARCO leather gear knob - Get rid of that rubber / vinyl sweaty knob.

8. SPARCO pedals - If you can, match up that knob with rubberized and chrome finished pedals that stop squeaking and provide better grip.

9. Visit 3M Car Care and get the under chassis coated to deaden any highway tread noise. This makes the car cabin far quieter. - I also do recommend their interior cleaning package and exterior paint restoration, followed by monthly waxes and washes. They also have really good floor mats.

10. In my case, I had a turbocharger leaking oil (a known problem with the Maruti Swift Diesels / D'zire Diesels (4 cylinder variants), so we got that replaced as well.

PENDING:

We are looking to paint the car with a matte paint job at Red Rooster and also get all the dents / kinks ironed out. Might have to replace the bumpers too, but that'll be done much after a few upcoming long road trips.

I am looking for suggestions however with regard to a couple things:

1. Tires. What brand is preferred by Team-BHPians and for the Maruti Suzuki D'zire ZDI (the 185s), which model?

2. Is there anything that can improve the ride and overall comfort on Indian roads? I heard about Dynamats and wonder if anyone does that in Bangalore? Does it work?

3. Are there any other engine mods that will make my Secret Agent Man more a driver's mean machine?

This is my first post on Team-BHP, I've already ordered me those infamous stickers and look forward to meeting more Team-BHPians on the road.

Those in Bangalore keen on long road trips, do hit me up! My wife and I tend to break away frequently (almost every weekend).

Cheers and all the best!
TheSleeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 12:56   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The RD Dieseltronic is a engine remap unit whereas the Petes works differently by increasing fuel rail pressure and fooling some sensors.

One does not need to change engine oil for these kits to work, and damage to the ECU is a debatable as both these work on two different strategies.

I personally prefer RD box
I have tunit kit on my innova for close to three years now and RD on my micra diesel. I am reasonably satisfied with both the kits. My understanding is all these chips function the same way fundamentally (as told by the folks at RD). The advantage that RD has is 1. it is way cheaper than other fitments available in the market 2. it adapts to your driving style 3. The changes to the driving modes are fairly easy to do.

I personally felt that RD was better as the difference on my micra is quite visible (both mileage and power). However both these kits tends to supply additional fuel to the engine and on prolonged usage the ash formation on the engine head would be more than usual.

If your engine is out of warranty, i would strongly encourage you to go for the somender grooves.
Old 13th June 2013, 13:07   #269
BHPian

These are fairly good mods and i would vouch that you did the right thing in retaining the car.

Regarding the tyres, i would recommend going in for michelin XM1+ (i believe XM2 is out in the market now). These are quiet tyres and offer excelent comfort. You could also look at Yokos c-drive. Not sure i understood your next ask about dynamats. Are you looking at reducing the noise in the cabin or are you looking at better ride quality. Good tyres would definitely reduce some noise but i would recommend pump up the volume of your music systems instead of spending more on noise insulation. Few things you could do to enhance the driveability. Switch over to synthetic oil, definately runs your engine much smoother and quieter. Not sure if you have upgraded your airfilter. Another avenue to enhance the driveability. Lastly i would recommend somender's groove. I got my innova grooved and trust me the difference is fantastic and additictive.
Old 26th November 2013, 02:33   #270
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

How exactly does an RD or dieseltronic box work?
How exactly will it cause a long term damage to the engine?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks