Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2013, 12:59   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. P

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Like always, it will be most expensive in Blore.
2,19,000 on road, 30k more than TB500 which I feel is reasonable .
Tharian, Are these pics from a Bangalore showroom? If yes, which one?
Old 28th November 2013, 13:05   #167
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. P

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Tharian, Are these pics from a Bangalore showroom? If yes, which one?
Yes, Teknik motors, Ulsoor.
Test rides should start in 3 weeks.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 13:24   #168
Senior - BHPian

Great to see RE are coming out with models contrasting to each other. Ive just bought the Desert Storm 500 (got delivery two weeks back) and dont think I will opt for an exchange. Just don't feel this is the bike for me. Would love to get that engine on mine though. Is this engine a distant relative of the old Lightning model or a completely new engine?
Old 28th November 2013, 13:37   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Is this engine a distant relative of the old Lightning model or a completely new engine?
Not even close! Old 535 was a Cast iron one. This is a very close relative of the UCE500 powering your Desert Storm.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 13:39   #170
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Big question being, at just few thousands more than the 390, what would make a buyer go for this and for me,a Enfield loyalist, is it worth an upgrade from my CI500 or rather wait for the 390 Adventure.
That's actually two distinct questions tharian, pertinent ones both.

The first question is a no brainer to one approaching both bikes as pure machines.

To the second one I would say this bike purely as a machine would definitely be an upgrade over your ageing CI500. If you could live with an RE that is never going to be a Bullet.

Also, is there something like the 390 Adventure in the pipeline, and any time frame to when its expected?

Quote:
Would love to get that engine on mine though. Is this engine a distant relative of the old Lightning model or a completely new engine?
Its a UCE 500 engine with some tweaks. No relative (not even a distant bloodline or remote chromosome) of the Lightning 535 motor. The AVL lean burn engines were modified heavily reworked CI platforms with the same architecture. The UCEs are completely different engines with very little if anything carried forward from the British motors. Though coincidentally designed ground up in the UK.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 14:04   #171
Senior - BHPian

Took the baby out for a spin today
What hits you first,is that the riding posture is unlike any other RE till date,and the engine sounds pretty refined by UCE standards without any mechanical clinking drama,the thump is muted and mellow,just the way i would have wanted it to be.Out on the road,it does feel faster than the CL500 but not by a big margin,and it would never go out of sight of a CL500 on a open road,on the twisties;may be.The vibes are there,but if compared to existing RE line up,they are almost non existent.Also a special note for the Pirelli Sport Demons,they stick to the road like a leech and make the CGT feel surefooted.
Ex showroom in North India 1.86L
With Bar end Mirrors-1.9L
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-602301_429652097135257_2068201918_n.jpg  

akshay4587 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 14:07   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Took the baby out for a spin today
What hits you first,is that the riding posture is unlike any other RE till date,and the engine sounds pretty refined by UCE standards without any mechanical clinking drama,the thump is muted and mellow,just the way i would have wanted it to be.Out on the road,it does feel faster than the CL500 but not by a big margin,and it would never go out of sight of a CL500 on a open road,on the twisties;may be.The vibes are there,but if compared to existing RE line up,they are almost non existent.Also a special note for the Pirelli Sport Demons,they stick to the road like a leech and make the CGT feel surefooted.
Ex showroom in North India 1.86L
With Bar end Mirrors-1.9L
Awesome, Akshay. Any word about the Brembos? How did they feel?
Old 28th November 2013, 14:10   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Awesome, Akshay. Any word about the Brembos? How did they feel?
Brakes are very good indeed,but the pirelli's steal the limelight,
by making them feel more effective than they actually are.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 14:20   #174
Senior - BHPian

For a moment I actually thought that was a screemshot of a new GT ad. Would have done wonders for the sales for sure.

On topic, can the Brembos fit the old CI 500 factory forks with adaptor plate (like provided in the Pricol kits)?
Old 28th November 2013, 14:41   #175
BHPian

I am kind of surprised standard colors like Black and Silver are not available. RE should have offered more color options. Everybody seems to following the new leader, KTM, launch with only one color, six months down the line offer another one to create some differentiation, to boost sales. Though, I am itching to get my hands on this bike, called up few dealers in Hyderabad, but the Nawabs of this Nawabi City have there own definition of "Kal aatu Sir"
Old 28th November 2013, 15:03   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would love to get that engine on mine though.
Mate,
No need to get the full engine for this, just buy the bore kit with piston and lighter crank shaft. Also keep an eye on the ignition timings so that it can set accordingly. Not sure if this comes with a different map or the one similar to classics.
Time will tell on how this mod can be done.

In the meanwhile there are a lot of yummy features like steel braided break liners, rear suspensions that will keep you busy for the time being. Does this come with alloy wheels or regular steel lines?
Old 28th November 2013, 15:40   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mate,
No need to get the full engine for this, just buy the bore kit with piston and lighter crank shaft. Also keep an eye on the ignition timings so that it can set accordingly. Not sure if this comes with a different map or the one similar to classics.
Considering the cost involved in this or an engine swap and the 'performance gain' that is achieved. Its not at all worth it!
Old 28th November 2013, 15:47   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Considering the cost involved in this or an engine swap and the 'performance gain' that is achieved. Its not at all worth it!
But a swap of the bigger bore block-piston kit when the current 500 cc one goes is eminently doable. Unless the 535 one is priced exorbitantly compared to the 500 kit, as the L535 one was compared to the std 500 one. Fueling would be an issue though.
Old 28th November 2013, 17:29   #179
BHPian

Got a short ride of Continental GT

Here is my initial take:
1. Looks are definitely sporty. The seat cowl is of plastic, but painted well.
2. Seating position is something that would take time getting used to, the foot pegs are a little behind to my liking.
3. The engine is smooth with a nice pick-up, very little vibrations, if any. Reminded me of RX135.
4. Brakes are pretty effective, comparing to earlier models they are far ahead, and very precise.
5. Handle bars looks really good, and offer good support. Though the grips are hard, and with that front-leaning position my wrist & palms starting aching in a 15 min ride, again something that would take time getting used to.
6. The gear lever is tiny and so is the break, not the usual Enfield. Overall a very different RE that I was used to riding.
7. The “thump” is different, but not noisy like the earlier Thunderbird 350. It has a deep throat and sounds nice.

OTR Hyderabad : 2.1 L
Booking amount: Rs. 5000 and requires a photo Id
ETD: minimum 6 months (as told by the SA)

I also enquired about the yellow color, they said it would be available only from next year April-May.

Overall not bad, the pricing seems alright and within the ballpark we were expecting.
jha.shailesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 18:11   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Unless the 535 one is priced exorbitantly compared to the 500 kit, as the L535 one was compared to the std 500 one. Fueling would be an issue though.
+1 to that Doc, I have the same thing on my mind. Rather than the pricing I would be more worried on the fuelling and the map. If it means that I would have change the ECU as well then it will get murderously expensive.
Probably any bikes that get totalled i know what to look first for scavenging

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks