Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2016, 09:27   #691
Senior - BHPian
 
Mr.Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,909
Thanked: 2,349 Times
Default Re: The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)

Latest one, 2000 RX135 5s



Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 20:42   #692
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Jaipur and Pune
Posts: 19
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)

Hi,
I am in a bit of a dilemma, actually I am really stuck!
I haven't come across any other thread which touched upon the same issue.

I got a new block put in the bike in my home town Jaipur, this block does not have any markings whatsoever, mechanic told me it is a "Supply" block, which is a block sold in the open by the same vendor who sells it to Yamaha, so it is the same quality and performance. Due to time constraints, I had no option but to go ahead with this.

Now that the bike is in Pune, it was not running properly, the first mech I showed the bike to kept saying that the block is duplicate and performance won't come until the block is changed. The second mech did a better job, bike was much smoother and performance too improved but he also said the same thing that the block is duplicate, he also advised that the Carb and magneto coil also be changed, I asked if changing the Carb and Coil will be enough? to this he replied that these will bring in a 20% change but the rest 80% is through the block.

On asking what is lacking in my "fake" block, he said he can only show it to me when he opens the block, he said the block sleeve, ports and material of the block are of lower quality as compared to the OEM stuff. The mechanic is pretty competent. My bike is lacking low end response, like they say it ain't flying.

After all these encounters with the mechs and talking to a lot of people, I feel there is no clear benchmarks or methodologies, everyone says something different, different reasoning etc, only thing common is the huge sums of money asked to "fix" the bike.

Now, following are the queries and options I have:

1.Query: RX engine tech is pretty old, maybe 40 years old, so does original or duplicate make that much of a difference?
2. Query: What according to the gurus, would be lacking in the duplicate block, if it is only the sleeve, will re-sleeving the current block help?
3. Query: Which Block to go for? I have been told that Yamaha stockists only keep Malaysian blocks, there are no Indian made blocks available, based on opinions these Malaysian blocks are not at the performance as the Indian made G series.

Options: Based on Current usage of 2000 KM in a year and keenness on preserving the bike more:

1. Don't do anything - just let it be the way it is, as again based on opinions old things can't be made new hence don't waste good money.
2. Change the Carb and the Magneto coil, see the performance gain and then take a call.
3. Buy the brand new "Original" block for 10k plus Carb plus magneto coil plus some more and spend 20k totally for the Power Take Off feel!
4. If I want to go really genuine, buy a second hand G series block, which is bored out to .25, bore it to .50 or get it resleeved for 3.5k plus Carb plus Magneto Coil plus some more and spend 10k totally for the Genuine Power Take off feel! I feel, looking at my usage this might be serious option.

I love my bike, even though my usage is low, even if the duplicate\fake block is ok, there is this unsatisfying feeling about the whole experience, like my bike is not complete, I want the bike to be 100% mechanically, so every KM I ride, should be the best that an RX can give.

Guys please help!
Williams_f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 22:38   #693
Senior - BHPian
 
Mr.Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,909
Thanked: 2,349 Times
Default Re: The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)

Not every non-OE bore deteriorates the performance, there are people happy with the performance of those bores (same performance as OE bores)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams_f1 View Post
1.Query: RX engine tech is pretty old, maybe 40 years old, so does original or duplicate make that much of a difference?
2. Query: What according to the gurus, would be lacking in the duplicate block, if it is only the sleeve, will re-sleeving the current block help?
3. Query: Which Block to go for? I have been told that Yamaha stockists only keep Malaysian blocks, there are no Indian made blocks available, based on opinions these Malaysian blocks are not at the performance as the Indian made G series.
1. Quality matters a lot than the technology, be it 4 decades or 4 centuries.
2. Ports and sleeves will not be in order. A competent mechanic with knowledge on ports & 2 stroke working principle should be able to fix it. But your lucky stars should be with you.
3. If you couldn't find a brand new Indian spec bore, get a used one and rebore it rather than further experimenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams_f1 View Post
4. If I want to go really genuine, buy a second hand G series block, which is bored out to .25, bore it to .50 or get it resleeved for 3.5k plus Carb plus Magneto Coil plus some more and spend 10k totally for the Genuine Power Take off feel! I feel, looking at my usage this might be serious option.
VFM solution I must say.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 10:20   #694
Senior - BHPian
 
Mr.Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,909
Thanked: 2,349 Times
Default Re: The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)

Time pass this early morning











The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-dsc_0341.jpg

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-dsc_0347.jpg

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-dsc_0361.jpg

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-dsc_0363.jpg

PS: RXZ belongs to my friend and no where connected to this (Restoration - 1997 Yamaha RXG) post
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 10:57   #695
Senior - BHPian
 
SunnyBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mysore / B'lore
Posts: 1,500
Thanked: 2,382 Times
Default Re: The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)

15 years went up. Spent 80rs on a can of silver paint and sprayed up the head, clutch and magnet covers. Passed test with flying colors.

Swapped the KBX caliper for a gold bybre since the piston seals went out. Bybre caliper is worse than the KBX many folds. Sigh.

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-img_20160815_17412801.jpeg

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 7th October 2016 at 11:00.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 12:09   #696
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Jaipur and Pune
Posts: 19
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)

Hi Guys,

A quick update, an opportunity has come to pick up a very less used I-2 block, running on the standard size piston without requiring any boring, just bolt on. I saw the block myself and was as described, the other option is to pick up G1 block which will be bored to .5 and then fitted.

Cost wise, I- 2 is turning out to be 1k more expensive than the G1, that is I-2 is 4.5k and G1 is 3.5k.

The advantage of I-2 is that it is running on the standard size, so a lot of life in it but I am not sure about the performance, the G1 has the performance but it is already half way through it life cycle.

The understanding with the mech is that only if the Performance improves, will I retain the I-2 block otherwise will revert to my current local block.

I have to take a call by end of the day, with the transplant happening tomorrow.

Need advice on the above, thanks.
Williams_f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 13:10   #697
Senior - BHPian
 
Leoshashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: India
Posts: 1,769
Thanked: 8,685 Times
Default Re: The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)

Presenting a nice collection of classic Yamahas owned by my Mathematics Sir.

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-13235303_1806328849597409_5276361879317043105_o.jpg

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 14th October 2016 at 13:12.
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 14:10   #698
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 1,971
Thanked: 820 Times
Default Re: The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Presenting a nice collection of classic Yamahas owned by my Mathematics Sir.

Attachment 1566203

Regards,
Shashi
Exact same collection as mine, only difference is I have a 100 and a 135 5 speed and I am yet to get my RXZ delivered to me, nice to see the entire Yamaha 2 stroke family under one roof.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 14:40   #699
Senior - BHPian
 
Mr.Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,909
Thanked: 2,349 Times
Default Re: The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)

Oldest of my garage, the mighty RX100
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 11:11   #700
Senior - BHPian
 
Mr.Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,909
Thanked: 2,349 Times
Default Re: The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)

All 3 posing together

The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)-20161208_084652.jpg
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 21:36   #701
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 24
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)

Which option did you finally end up going with?

I too stay in pune and have been getting my RXG serviced from the same guy for the past 9 years now, where are you getting your bike serviced from?

Earlier this year I got the block replaced, (the fuel pump stopped working when my cousin was using the bike in 2015 and the rest is history) I went in for a used block which my mechanic found for me, it had a 0.5 bore if I remember correctly. Bike has been running fine since then (I dont use it much though - maybe around 30 kms in a week)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams_f1 View Post
Hi Guys,

A quick update, an opportunity has come to pick up a very less used I-2 block, running on the standard size piston without requiring any boring, just bolt on. I saw the block myself and was as described, the other option is to pick up G1 block which will be bored to .5 and then fitted.

Cost wise, I- 2 is turning out to be 1k more expensive than the G1, that is I-2 is 4.5k and G1 is 3.5k.

The advantage of I-2 is that it is running on the standard size, so a lot of life in it but I am not sure about the performance, the G1 has the performance but it is already half way through it life cycle.

The understanding with the mech is that only if the Performance improves, will I retain the I-2 block otherwise will revert to my current local block.

I have to take a call by end of the day, with the transplant happening tomorrow.

Need advice on the above, thanks.
jomson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 23:04   #702
Senior - BHPian
 
Mr.Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,909
Thanked: 2,349 Times
Default Re: The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
the fuel pump stopped working when my cousin was using the bike in 2015 and the rest is history
Do you mean 2T oil pump?
There are too many RX cases with oil pump failure and seized blocks, that's the reason a little premix along with oil pump feed is always recommended.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 16:03   #703
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 24
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)

Yes, the 2T oil pump failed. Since the block replacement I have been mixing oil with petrol; no issues up until now. The oil-petrol ratio which I use is 40ml/litre. What do you guys suggest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Do you mean 2T oil pump?
There are too many RX cases with oil pump failure and seized blocks, that's the reason a little premix along with oil pump feed is always recommended.
jomson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 18:14   #704
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 22
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Presenting a nice collection of classic Yamahas owned by my Mathematics Sir.

Attachment 1566203

Regards,
Shashi
Your mathematics sir has one hell of a collection there. Perhaps he can add a 135 4 and 5 speed to complete his collection.
rvd8732 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 23:20   #705
Senior - BHPian
 
Mr.Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,909
Thanked: 2,349 Times
Default Re: The Yamaha 'RX' Thread (with pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
The oil-petrol ratio which I use is 40ml/litre. What do you guys suggest?
Sufficient quantity. Earlier (upto 5k km after rebore) I was using the same quantity (4%) premix
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yamaha 80cc (Pearl Yamaha) hillram Motorbikes 35 14th February 2015 18:03
Yamaha Papercraft, DIY kit | Must read for Yamaha Lovers abhisheksircar Motorbikes 30 28th November 2010 17:29
Pics: White Yamaha R1 in bangalore - Pics: Black R1 added manishasrani Super-Cars & Imports in India 31 28th July 2008 23:58
Pics : The Official Yamaha R6 Thread. v12 Super-Cars & Imports in India 35 18th September 2006 20:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks