Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2011, 20:00   #946
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Guys this is my first post on Team BHP. Though I have been following the forum for more than a year now.

Thanks to wonderful reviews from everyone, I finally brought home my New Carbon Grey Verna 1.6 VTVT Petrol 3 weeks back and so far the experience has been simply awesome. The car is a real head turner.

I recently completed 900 kms on my new Verna which was a mix of highway and city driving and have been bowled over by the fuel mileage. Even before the first service I have been able to clock 13 kmpl with mix of city/highway driving.

I bought my car from HMP, Delhi and experience was wonderful. They really made my entire family feel special. And they are able to deliver Petrol Verna within 7-15 days. I am not too sure about Diesel though.

Will post some pictures shortly.
Old 16th June 2011, 21:18   #947
BHPian

I am dying to see the Carbon shade

Anyways, congrats on the fantastic purchase.
Could you please give some details on the petrol version:
1. In some reviews i read that the diesel variant is much better in ride and handling. How has your experience been so far? Till what speed did you feel comfortable, esp on the highways?
2. Is the very light steering a matter of concern?
3. How about the rear seat? Way too low? Is it resonably comfortable?

BTW, you could start a ownership thread with a lot of pics and share your experience with us.

Enjoy your Fluidic Verna

Last edited by aah78 : 16th June 2011 at 21:36. Reason: Post edited, as reference post has been removed.
Old 16th June 2011, 21:32   #948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Which is a better VFM car:
1. Hyundai verna petrol 1.4
or
2. VW vento trendline petrol.
or ANHC E-MT (with 66k discount now)
Old 16th June 2011, 22:47   #949
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
+1. Without any doubts. ANHC E comes with ABS, airbags and electric mirrors.
Vento Trendline is really spartan.
And why go for ANHV 1.4 petrol when you can get the 1.5 Ivtec of the Honda with safety features at a good price?
Old 16th June 2011, 23:23   #950
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
And why go for ANHV 1.4 petrol when you can get the 1.5 Ivtec of the Honda with safety features at a good price?
Yes, for 49 k more than vento/Verna, You get ABS, Air Bags, EBD in ANHC.

I am not suggesting because i own ANHC, if it was before Price revision i would have suggested not to go for ANHC. And now its a killer price. You wont get ABS and AirBags for that price.

Last edited by shamanth : 16th June 2011 at 23:27.
Old 17th June 2011, 00:34   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartikars View Post
I am planning to buy an automatic transmission car in this price sedan segment.

My requirements are: Sturdyness, good road stability, low maintenance, properly priced spares & services, good customer support, good engine power & fuel efficiency and gud safety features.

I am looking out to select from SX4 AT, Verna 1.4 petrol, Verna 1.6 diesel, City AT & Vento AT. Please help me select one.
Am in the same boat, thinking of an AT sedan. I am for now stuck on ANHC AT, due to bestin class space, reliability, ease of maintenance, mileage etc.
If you are looking for a diesel, I guess ANHV is the only option for now. None else has mated the AT with diesel (not sure of SX4). However if your running will not be much (<1000 km per month), diesel does not make sense. It's higher maintenance costs at a later time will shadow the savings on th efuel front.

In any case, test drive all options a few times before making the final decision.
Old 17th June 2011, 01:52   #952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Which is a better VFM car:
1. Hyundai verna petrol 1.4
or
2. VW vento trendline petrol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
+1 to the Honda City again.

Also consider the space within the cabin in the Vento. It is a lot more cramped as compared to the city. If you have any tall people sitting in the Vento's rear bench, they would curse you. Being 6' I could not even sit straight. Can you believe this? I am not talking about the space between my head and the cabin's ceiling, but that I could not sit straight!!!!! Was a shocker for me, given how popular the car is. The ingress/egress was terrible too.

The TD was done as a part of my 'what car' for a diesel sedan.
Links:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2352259

and

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post2301264

PS: Honda is acclaimed to make the best small petrol engines, and the City is a well rounded practical sedan. What I don't like about it is the light build quality; but it being lightweight is one of the reasons for it's good FE.
Old 17th June 2011, 08:32   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
+1 to the Honda City again.

Also consider the space within the cabin in the Vento. It is a lot more cramped as compared to the city. If you have any tall people sitting in the Vento's rear bench, they would curse you. Being 6' I could not even sit straight. Can you believe this? I am not talking about the space between my head and the cabin's ceiling, but that I could not sit straight!!!!! Was a shocker for me, given how popular the car is. The ingress/egress was terrible too.
Don't agree with the comment about leg space - I own a Vento, my height is 180 cm and I had done TD with my 6'2" tall friend seated behind me. It was comfortable and no problem with ingress and egress - of course if you are used to a "tall boy" car you would need to get used to and it holds for any sedan you consider - you cannot walk into it.
I have not seen any review as yet which talks about any problems with the leg space and ingress/egress with Vento, in fact thats one of the strong points of the car thats mentioned in reviews. There are quite a few ownership threads on TBHP which you can refer to and many of them are tall owners. The only minor problem is the hump in the rear which is not there in the City but certainly the leg space is not inferior to the City !

Safety features in City is a serious positive .. for the rest I think there are quite a few threads which dwell on strength and weakness of each of the cars.

Last edited by souravc : 17th June 2011 at 08:34.
Old 17th June 2011, 09:38   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidic_fan View Post
Guys this is my first post on Team BHP. Though I have been following the forum for more than a year now.

Thanks to wonderful reviews from everyone, I finally brought home my New Carbon Grey Verna 1.6 VTVT Petrol 3 weeks back and so far the experience has been simply awesome. The car is a real head turner.

I recently completed 900 kms on my new Verna which was a mix of highway and city driving and have been bowled over by the fuel mileage. Even before the first service I have been able to clock 13 kmpl with mix of city/highway driving.

I bought my car from HMP, Delhi and experience was wonderful. They really made my entire family feel special. And they are able to deliver Petrol Verna within 7-15 days. I am not too sure about Diesel though.

Will post some pictures shortly.

Many congratulations, fluidic_fan. Good to hear, 'ANHV' is making you happy. Now, few questions for you mate, as I can see that you have bought 1.6 VTVT, the basic model:

1) Are you missing ECM ?
2) 1.6 basic model does not have Supervision cluster, so do you feel the need for it after clocking 900 kms ?
3) Were you able to get any freebies ?

Please feel free to answer whenever you have the liberty of time and drive safe.
Old 17th June 2011, 10:06   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Hyundai automatics are poor with old gen 4-speed AT system. Choose between ANHC and Vento, depending on whether you want a petrol or diesel.
Vento Diesel AT? Is it even available? The VW website does not mention it. The AT option is for only for petrol Highline and that too, the AT is a 6-speed. So, it should be better than ANHC (applying the same logic mentioned above).

If diesel AT is what you require, in a new car, at this price point, then the poor old gen 4AT ANHV is your only choice.
Old 17th June 2011, 11:12   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk007 View Post
City AT, the paddle shift would be a good choice if you dont mind a petrol car.

Verna diesel AT is good, but you need to be satisfied with the 4 speed auto, would have been nice if it had atleast a 5 speed to unleash its power.

Or, you could buy a second hand Civic AT (please refer GTO's thread on the forum)

Please wait for these manufacturers to enhance their offerings soon. City is currently available with good discounts. You can pick it up now, if you dont mind a few cosmetic changes that are to happen later this year.
I am in no hurry to buy the AT car. I can wait for another 6 months. I already my 1st love, a W123 Mercedes Benz 300D. The AT will be for my city driving (office-home-shopping).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
We are discussing Diesel sedans upto 12L (innitially upto 8-10L) here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...-upto-12l.html

Thought that it may be of some value to you.

There is little info on the New Verna and New Fiesta in that thread. Members may want to add to the discussion there too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalinJunkie View Post
Yes, but when it comes and how much it might cost is not known yet.
For latest news on the fiesta, follow this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-46-a-115.html

PS: Just realised that we joined TBHP at the same time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
It might be in the next 6 months or so, but that would in all probability be for the petrol, not diesel.

More details here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...page-46-a.html
I went through the ANFF thread. Looks even more better than ANHC & ANHV. But afraid of the FORD factor. Costly spares & service. Quality is also a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
Am in the same boat, thinking of an AT sedan. I am for now stuck on ANHC AT, due to bestin class space, reliability, ease of maintenance, mileage etc.
If you are looking for a diesel, I guess ANHV is the only option for now. None else has mated the AT with diesel (not sure of SX4). However if your running will not be much (<1000 km per month), diesel does not make sense. It's higher maintenance costs at a later time will shadow the savings on th efuel front.

In any case, test drive all options a few times before making the final decision.
Thanks friend. My average running is approx. 1500 kms+ per month. My home-office-home daily run is 50+ kms and petrol prices are rising daily and there is a govt. check on diesel.
Old 17th June 2011, 13:43   #957
Senior - BHPian

Had been to Hyundai showroom and had a quick glance at the new Verna
Some impressions:
  • very good fit and finish (expect for some mis-matching) and quality of the cabin materials
  • very low set driver seat and you don get commanding view of the road (like in say ANHC, which has excellent forward visibility) I felt the A pillar is limiting the viewing angle (width wise)
  • Rear seats have very short base and are nowhere as comfortable as ANHC
  • Raising waistline has resulted in the window line almost at your neck level at the rear. feels claustrophobic
  • High set boot and very narrow rear windscreen result in poor visibility. Parking sensor/camera a must.
Old 17th June 2011, 15:18   #958
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
[*]High set boot and very narrow rear windscreen result in poor visibility. Parking sensor/camera a must.[/list]
I amazed to see this comment time and again. Reversing is possible by use of the three mirrors. If one learns to reverse using the mirrors then you do not need the camera and external aids. The camera and the sensor is good feature no doubt but to rely on it fully will not be advisable. Trying reversing a Safari and you will learn very fast
Old 17th June 2011, 15:32   #959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
I amazed to see this comment time and again. Reversing is possible by use of the three mirrors. If one learns to reverse using the mirrors then you do not need the camera and external aids. The camera and the sensor is good feature no doubt but to rely on it fully will not be advisable. Trying reversing a Safari and you will learn very fast
Of course that was an exaggerate comment . What i meant was, reversing will be somewhat difficult with these cars with high boot and narrow opening. In any case the view on the internal rear view is constrained by the narrow windscreen.
The windscreen itself is large (may be 70 cms) but the effective hight is around 15 cms.
Old 17th June 2011, 16:21   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Agree with this. After having driven the Ikon for a couple of years, I could not agree more. I use only the 3 standard mirrors (1 inside and 2 outside) for reversing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks