Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2013, 12:27   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
There is NO gear indicator!
Maybe it can be enabled through the dealership through their software. Check it out. Or maybe only one thing can be enabled at a time i.e. either gear indicator or the RPM display. Inquire from the service center.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 13:17   #212
Senior - BHPian

Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Maybe it can be enabled through the dealership through their software. Check it out. Or maybe only one thing can be enabled at a time i.e. either gear indicator or the RPM display. Inquire from the service center.
Instant reaction from the service center will be "No sir, we cant" I am saying this out of experience, as earlier, any questions I pose to them, their answer starts with a No sir.

Would be of great help if you could try calling your service center as well, I will call mine. Lets see what each one got to say.
Old 20th December 2013, 13:25   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would be of great help if you could try calling your service center as well, I will call mine.
Well mine is a 2013 model. And that does not have the RPM display anyways. So no sense talking to them for that. Neither do I look at the RPM display in any of my vehicles. Though a gear indicator could be of some use in city driving conditions. I find that of some use in my Superb but only because it displays an arrow telling when to upshift or downshift. I would rely on the engine sound more in a motorcycle for that task.
Old 20th December 2013, 14:54   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well mine is a 2013 model. And that does not have the RPM display anyways. So no sense talking to them for that. Neither do I look at the RPM display in any of my vehicles. Though a gear indicator could be of some use in city driving conditions. I find that of some use in my Superb but only because it displays an arrow telling when to upshift or downshift. I would rely on the engine sound more in a motorcycle for that task.
I understand yours is a 2013 model. what i was trying to imply is - what do different service centers say if you asked the question "does the 2014 sportster have a gear indicator?"

Never mind sir, i will check with them myself.
Old 20th December 2013, 18:46   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i will check with them myself.
As I am outstation from the dealership, I will try to contact them and let you know if I find anything. Did you check in the Owner's Manual? It must say something about this feature for sure.
Old 20th December 2013, 18:54   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I am outstation from the dealership, I will try to contact them and let you know if I find anything. Did you check in the Owner's Manual? It must say something about this feature for sure.
No issues sir. No hurry either. I will be going to the Harley store tomorrow. There is some program to which they have invited a few (recent) owners of HD. Will check with the technician there..

Regarding owners manual - I must say I am guilty of not touching it so far But I sure will. May be tonight
Old 21st December 2013, 22:48   #217
Senior - BHPian

Eureka! I got it! The Gear Indicator!

I was wondering when the display on toggle reads GEAR/RPM -- how would HD folks disable just the GEAR part and let the RPM part running.

So today I rode on the GEAR/RPM mode - RPM shows when the engine is turned on else it'd show 0.

The gear indicator - comes on - once the vehicle is in motion - again - only after it gains a bit of speed.

Now there is intelligence embedded here as well - I noticed some numbers flicker - Example: I am on gear 3 and the speed is a little too high to be on that gear - "4" flashes on the little display. If I am on 4 and the speed is little less - "3" flashes prompting rider to change gear.
Shubz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2013, 20:40   #218
Senior - BHPian

Rode about 400+ kms one way. Amazing FE 25kmpl. Checked twice.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131222_204016.png
Views: 2179
Size:  550.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131222_203944.png
Views: 2178
Size:  520.4 KB
Shubz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2013, 21:45   #219
Senior - BHPian

Shub,

The FE of 25+ is really great. What was the average speed for the distance ? Just curious to know ?

Also congrats on the "eureka" of the gear indicator - please read the manual and you may have some more 'eureka' moments.

Hope you had a good trip to Hubli

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Quote:
Eureka! I got it! The Gear Indicator!

I was wondering when the display on toggle reads GEAR/RPM -- how would HD folks disable just the GEAR part and let the RPM part running.

So today I rode on the GEAR/RPM mode - RPM shows when the engine is turned on else it'd show 0.

The gear indicator - comes on - once the vehicle is in motion - again - only after it gains a bit of speed.

Now there is intelligence embedded here as well - I noticed some numbers flicker - Example: I am on gear 3 and the speed is a little too high to be on that gear - "4" flashes on the little display. If I am on 4 and the speed is little less - "3" flashes prompting rider to change gear.
Old 22nd December 2013, 22:00   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Shub,

The FE of 25+ is really great. What was the average speed for the distance ? Just curious to know ?

Also congrats on the "eureka" of the gear indicator - please read the manual and you may have some more 'eureka' moments.

Hope you had a good trip to Hubli

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Average speeds we were maintaining was around 100 kmph. Overall average as per MyTracks app is 82 kmph
Old 22nd December 2013, 22:52   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Average speeds we were maintaining was around 100 kmph. Overall average as per MyTracks app is 82 kmph
Shub,

I think the average of 82 kmph partially explains the FE and you would have been keeping the revs below 3000 rpm most of the way. This means that you were in the optimum performance range for max FE most of the time.

This is my view, may be I am wrong and others from the HOG can explain it better.

Are you back in Bangalore ?

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 22nd December 2013, 23:01   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

Shub,

I think the average of 82 kmph partially explains the FE and you would have been keeping the revs below 3000 rpm most of the way. This means that you were in the optimum performance range for max FE most of the time.

This is my view, may be I am wrong and others from the HOG can explain it better.

Are you back in Bangalore ?

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Ram sir, the revs were not always below 3000. Most of the times it was hovering around 3500/4000 too.

And am doing an overnighter here at Hubli. Will start from here tomorrow.

Last edited by Shubz : 22nd December 2013 at 23:13.
Old 27th December 2013, 14:16   #223
Senior - BHPian

I owed this one post to Ram sir and Dhiraj. The exhaust note of the 2014 Iron 883.

Thanks all!

Dhiraj's XL Exhaust note from 1:23 mins in the video

Last edited by Shubz : 27th December 2013 at 14:20.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 17:50   #224
BHPian

The iron 883 and the XL share the same engine, but is it just me who thinks that both the exhausts don't sound similar? Well, obviously both the cameras wouldn't record the same sound but just to put forward my question, is it a different arrangement?
Old 31st December 2013, 13:27   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I owed this one post to Ram sir and Dhiraj. The exhaust note of the 2014 Iron 883.

Thanks all!

Dhiraj's XL Exhaust note from 1:23 mins in the video
Hi Shub,

I would say that a recording never gives a true representation.

The bike of Dheeraj does sound more throaty, but may be the sorroundings were making a difference, as there would/could have been some amount of resonence from the wall that was nearby.

Thanks for taking the effort to put this for our benefit

Best Regards & Take care

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks