Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 18:06   #3796
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilamin View Post
Faced a unique problem than the usual with tyretronics. The FL tyre shows a type pressure of 24.2 with the accompanying beeps and warnings. But when I manually checked the tyre pressure, it shows 32 psi. What is the possible solution to this problem.

I've been just muting the beep sounds since the last 2 weeks.
Put key into the ignition and without running the starter keep the mode knob depressed for 2 seconds.

The left front tyre will start blinking. Reduce 2 psi of air from it, you will hear a sound a beep.

Repeat this for all including the spare, the "learning" of the TPMS system would be complete, the problem should go, otherwise the 5 TPMS valves & transmitters will have to be replaced. Under warranty I assume. Same thing had happened to me. From Dec 2013 to May 2014 kept encountering the problem till I got them replaced under warranty.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 18:41   #3797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilamin View Post
Faced a unique problem than the usual with tyretronics. The FL tyre shows a type pressure of 24.2 with the accompanying beeps and warnings. But when I manually checked the tyre pressure, it shows 32 psi. What is the possible solution to this problem.

I've been just muting the beep sounds since the last 2 weeks.
Check the other tyres as well, I had the same issue and was checking the FR tyre while the issue was with the RL tyre. The TPMS was programmed incorrectly.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 19:04   #3798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Put key into the ignition and without running the starter keep the mode knob depressed for 2 seconds.

The left front tyre will start blinking. Reduce 2 psi of air from it, you will hear a sound a beep.

Repeat this for all including the spare, the "learning" of the TPMS system would be complete, the problem should go, otherwise the 5 TPMS valves & transmitters will have to be replaced. Under warranty I assume. Same thing had happened to me. From Dec 2013 to May 2014 kept encountering the problem till I got them replaced under warranty.
So Schraeder units are not that infallible as some Scorpio owners would have me believe!
Old 16th July 2014, 23:09   #3799
Senior - BHPian

All electronic gizmos in Mahindra vehicles are the most undependable. It doesnt even meet US standards forget about Japanese standards.

And as it is, the TPMS system of the Scorpio fails to read the correct tyre pressure.

Last edited by desertfox : 16th July 2014 at 23:10.
Old 17th July 2014, 15:13   #3800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
And this Diesel filter is expensive. It is made in Spain by Bosch and sold in a Mahindra paper box.

Punet take it to any reasonable service centre, Bosch or similar or even a grade lower. Let them clean it, and inspect the filter. If it needs replacement do that.

Do you buy fuel from one particular fuel station or many ?
The fuel filter fitted in my Scorpio is of SOGEFI brand. Contrary to what the ASC guys told me earlier, it is indeed possible to drain this unit by unscrewing a plug at its bottom (which i did 2-3 times but the problem persists - the water in fuel filter indicator goes off and on intermittently during a drive).

I took the car to a competent FNG nearby and he diagnosed the problem to be a faulty sensor (interestingly the sensor for this brand is not available in the open market - the service advisor at ASC later confirmed this adding that in this unit only the sensor alone can't be changed but the whole body has to be replaced). ASC guys have drained the unit today and advised me to have the diesel tank and fuel lines drained and cleaned if the indicator still glows (but they still didn't open and clean the unit and filter even when i insisted, seems like they work backwards)!

PS - Have been filling up at the same fuel station (it has a good reputation too and most of the cabbies line up there to have tanks filled) for the last year or so, have not filled anywhere else even once during this period and have driven the Scorpio only on Delhi/NOIDA roads since it was bought.

Last edited by Puneet.S : 17th July 2014 at 15:28.
Old 28th July 2014, 17:12   #3801
BHPian

A/c Fan failure and solution.

I own a Scorpio Sle 2011 model.

Two weeks ago, the a/c fan stopped working at speeds 1, 2, and 3. It would work only at speed 4.

TBhp member and Scorpio owner Mukesh Shenoy told me it was a resistor failure. I got this replaced in a reputed private garage near my home.

(I was grossly overcharged for the part by this private workshop. Mahindra ASC charges Rs. 455 including all taxes, but here I was charged Rs. 1200 and taxes extra! This is a different matter so I'm not going into details on this issue).

Couple of days ago, the fan failed again. This time I went to Chrome Motors Bangalore, M&M ASC.

The electrician checked the system and when I told him it was 2nd failure in a short while, he told me the blower was at fault.

I have an extended warranty, this is the 3rd year now. Mahindra approved the replacement of both resistor and blower under extended warranty, no questions asked.

Job was done in less than 15 minutes, only getting the approval took time as the system was slow.

I appreciate M&M's immediate approval and no questions asked replacement.

Total bill Rs. 0

Happy Scorpio owner!
Old 28th July 2014, 17:27   #3802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet.S View Post
The fuel filter fitted in my Scorpio is of SOGEFI brand. Contrary to what the ASC guys told me earlier, it is indeed possible to drain this unit by unscrewing a plug at its bottom (which i did 2-3 times but the problem persists - the water in fuel filter indicator goes off and on intermittently during a drive).

I took the car to a competent FNG nearby and he diagnosed the problem to be a faulty sensor (interestingly the sensor for this brand is not available in the open market - the service advisor at ASC later confirmed this adding that in this unit only the sensor alone can't be changed but the whole body has to be replaced). ASC guys have drained the unit today and advised me to have the diesel tank and fuel lines drained and cleaned if the indicator still glows (but they still didn't open and clean the unit and filter even when i insisted, seems like they work backwards)!

PS - Have been filling up at the same fuel station (it has a good reputation too and most of the cabbies line up there to have tanks filled) for the last year or so, have not filled anywhere else even once during this period and have driven the Scorpio only on Delhi/NOIDA roads since it was bought.
Bring it here to Gurgaon if you can I will have it looked into by competent guys at the Mahindra ASC here ( RR Auto )
Old 28th July 2014, 20:39   #3803
BHPian

Hi

I was planning to install a device in my Scorpio 2003 . This device converts the manual ac to a digital climate control.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...e-control.html

It is actually a digital thermostat which shows the current temperature and cutoff temperature in the cabin.

I was planning to replace the OEM Anti freeze switch (the one that make tak tak sound) that cuts of the compressor when the temperature is too low with this device.

I spoke to the manufacturer Mr Arun of Krrishtech. He told me that the device is not capable of handling high currents. It should be installed before the AC Relay where the current is low. After the relay the current may be high .
I am not sure if this Original Antifreeze switch lies before the AC relay or after .
Will the current passing through this switch low enough for this device to handle ?
Anybody has any idea ?

For details and picture you can refer to the last posts in the thread mentioned above.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 28th July 2014 at 20:41.
Old 1st August 2014, 13:48   #3804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
A/c Fan failure and solution.TBhp member and Scorpio owner Mukesh Shenoy told me it was a resistor failure. I got this replaced in a reputed private garage near my home.
In my experience the OEM resistors of Scorpio are of extremely poor quality, I have already had it replaced twice (under warranty) now again it AC has stopped working in position 3 so I suspect the same issue. This has happened despite my AC usage being bare minimum as I prefer the open windows.
Old 1st August 2014, 14:25   #3805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
In my experience the OEM resistors of Scorpio are of extremely poor quality, I have already had it replaced twice (under warranty) now again it AC has stopped working in position 3 so I suspect the same issue. This has happened despite my AC usage being bare minimum as I prefer the open windows.
Surprising! I have never replaced any part of the AC system till 2 months ago when the coil burnt out due to negligence of the ASC in Belgaum
Old 1st August 2014, 16:13   #3806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In my experience the OEM resistors of Scorpio are of extremely poor quality...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Surprising!
Is this the component you are talking about?

Mahindra Scorpio : Issues & Solutions-daga-5.jpg

It's quite a robust unit (OEM is Behr), though mine burnt out due to a voltage surge from a faulty alternator AVR.
Old 1st August 2014, 18:59   #3807
BHPian

Quote:
In my experience the OEM resistors of Scorpio are of extremely poor quality..so I suspect the same issue...
Actually, the electrician explained to me, the fault here was not a problem of the resistor. The fan (blower) was malfunctioning, and as a result, at lower speeds the air flow was not enough to cool the resistor and the resistor was overheating. As I run the a/c 24/7 and only at speed 1, the resistor got over-heated and failed.

I noticed that the a/c was not effective since quite some time and had casually (not in job card) mentioned this to the SA in India Garage during service, but they did not suspect the fan blower was not running optimally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
It's quite a robust unit (OEM is Behr), though mine burnt out due to a voltage surge from a faulty alternator AVR.
SS-Traveller, the component looks similar in construction (like a tower), but the resistor in my car had a different base structure. Unfortunately as it was under warranty, the old part was taken back so I don't have a photo. Mukesh does have it, I'll ask him. I would agree it's robust, as in my case the fan was the culprit.
Damu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2014, 20:25   #3808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coil inside the compressor was burnt out, hence it was shorting & blowing out the fuse. Why it happened - no one can really say, but if you recall, the illiterate mechanics in M&M ASC Sutaria Auto in Belgaum had pottered around unnecessarily with my AC compressor loosening all kinds of nuts & I suspect that this damage has happened due to those mess-ups there.

Attachment 1257196

I have my Mr Reliable AC repairs man in Thane. I visited him yesterday. My first suspect was that the solenoid switch (t the compressor coil) was shorting and causing the fuse burn outs - since AC was working fine otherwise (cooling, etc). But after checking that wire, it was ruled out & the compressor coil was the suspect. Removing the AC compressor is not an easy task, but after taking it off, the coil was found to be totally bereft of enamel coating. This explained the strange plastic burning smell that I had inside my cabin last 2 days - it was the enamel burning off. The clutch plate was found to have lots of scoring due to the problems with disengagement.

Attachment 1257197

We changed the coil and the clutch plate - these are easily available. When refitted back, the gas started leaking. First spit was the O-Ring in the compressor body. Then the main hose crimping was found to have gone, so I ended up changing the O-Ring, oil seal (inside the compressor body) and the hose.

Attachment 1257198

Attachment 1257199
Quote:

That was my problem. Burn out of the Coil due to a earthing wire issue - the earthing wire was fiddled around by an illiterate "trained" mechanic in Sutaria Auto, Belgaum, as reported earlier
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 11:24   #3809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Surprising! I have never replaced any part of the AC system till 2 months ago when the coil burnt out due to negligence of the ASC in Belgaum
Quote:
it's quite a robust unit (OEM is Behr), though mine burnt out due to a voltage surge from a faulty alternator AVR.
Something similar to this one, I got the old one back after replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
SS-Traveller, the component looks similar in construction (like a tower), but the resistor in my car had a different base structure. Unfortunately as it was under warranty, the old part was taken back so I don't have a photo. Mukesh does have it, I'll ask him. I would agree it's robust, as in my case the fan was the culprit.
Seems that there is some other issue, unfortunately, the A.S.S. technicians would just let it go after replacement with no intent to find the root cause, I will have this checked thoroughly at the next service.

However, what is surprising every time it is the 3rd position of the AC where it is failing. My normal running is 1 or 2 and sometimes 4 almost never 3.
Old 2nd August 2014, 12:16   #3810
BANNED

Is Mahindra watching this thread?

This should be, by far the largest (lengthiest?) thread in team-bhp for complaints and suppor, and I think, the second would be XUV5OO Issues and solutions thread.

I believe Mahindra is watching this thread. Being a Scorpio owner for the last 5 years, I have no complaint on any major issues, But I happen to meet 100s of minor faults which are not heart breaking - But irritating.

Apart from the customer dissatisfaction, I am sure Mahindra is loosing quite a lot of money in after sale service. Scorpio is almost on the roads for a decade, and still customers have to run to A.S.S several time, resulting poor ownership experience.

I had to,

1. Repeatedly go to the service center for the same problem, for some issues, I have gone to them for more than 5 times. They were recorded.
2. I denied to pay sometime, which is a lose to them too - if the issue was not attended in the first place.
3. Spend a lot of money for diesel since the service center is 20 kms away from home, and for a single issue I had to take to them for 2-3 times.

There are couple of reasons why I've been tolerating the issues so far. (entering 6th year next week with my Scorpio)

1. The local team is patient enough to attend
2. I love my Scorpio

Buying a Scorpio was a decision I made in my heart. If I had left the decision to my brain, I would have gone for a Innova.

Now, I wanted to go for XUV 5OO as my next one after this Scorpio which is clocking 75K now, But, I dropped the idea after seeing that thread length. However, I am still ready to wait for the next gen Scorpio, give another chance - as I see some eye catching progress from the test vehicles.

My purchase would be around mid 2015, By that time, I expect new Ford Endeavor too should be on the road and few more? They would really become a challenge for low cost SUVs (not the mini SUV-likes). I hear from the threads in team-bhp and reviews that Safari Strome is much better now than Scorpio, its long time contender.

Now my equesion is: Can Mahindra deliver a reliable SUV? By asking this I don't mean that we have several perfect SUVs on road. But for Mahindra, being a learner, 10+ years should be long enough to bring something perfect to the Indian buyers. This is an SUV company, They try become a global player, and if this is the case, they cannot be the same anymore.

Take Thar, Quanto, Xylo - all are certainly loaded with niggling issues, which an ordinary buyer would afraid of.

Can Mahnidra listen and deliver? Will this thread slow down its growth with the new Scorpio?

Mahindra can take this one as a open letter from a Scorio lover. :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks