Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2013, 10:27   #7246
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Repeating my question which I asked a couple of pages back.

"Please suggest a good DA polisher"!

I am planning to get the PC 7242 XP when I travel to the US in a couple of weeks.

The Megs 220V2 seems to be expensive.
The DAS 6 is another option I am considering!

Another question - For people who have bought stuff from the US, did you get stopped at customs? What all can I bring with me? Was planning to get some product as well (Swirl remover/Pads/DA Polisher/Etc.).

Last edited by torquecurve : 21st April 2013 at 10:57.
Old 21st April 2013, 10:59   #7247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post

I am planning to get the PC 7242 XP when I travel to the US in a couple of weeks.

Another question - For people who have bought stuff from the US, did you get stopped at customs? What all can I bring with me? Was planning to get some product as well (Swirl remover/Pads/DA Polisher/Etc.).
Flex 3401 is a good one - but its expensive at $429 with kits going upwards of $450

G220v2 is not available in US - the G110v2 is sold instead.

PC 7242 XP is selling for $125 at autogeek and seems to be a good bet! go for the kits if you want to bundle and save. But check if it's available in 220v config.

I have brought a lot of items in my checked baggage multiple times - customs doesn't really care about DA polishers / wax. They are after bigger fish
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 11:04   #7248
BHPian

Quote:

I am using a Kestrel DA polisher, which I got from UK. With the customs duty of around 3600 Rs, I spent about 12-12.5 K on it. I think I got it from shinerama, it was promptly sent through Fedex and the duty was paid on delivery. It came with 5.5" and 6.5" backing plates ad I bought some pads also from them, mainly Lake county and 3M pads. Their site gives valuable information on detailing including information on different pads.
So far, I have used the Kestrel only twice and quite pleased with it. You can see the result below
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1020196.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1020200.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-p1020184.jpg  

premc44 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 11:59   #7249
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post

Flex 3401 is a good one - but its expensive at $429 with kits going upwards of $450

G220v2 is not available in US - the G110v2 is sold instead.
Its no use buying the flex from US as its easily available in India and close to the US price. Plus theres service and after sales support also. And warranty too.

Torque curve Id suggest you buy the machine from India but get the pads and other kits from the US where its cheaper.

Most US machines will require a step down transformer to work in India. If you have no problem with that and also no issues with not getting warranty, then you can get G110v2 or the G220.

You can also try DAS6. Try the DAS6 pro. Good price and almost like the G220. I think one BHPian has this machine.

And if you are buying machine from US get the spare parts set also so that you can service it yourself when you have any problems. As spares are hard to come by here.

Also id suggest you rather buy products that are not available in India. Swirl removers compounds etc are all available here at good prices. You can rather get the cutting pad and finishing pad and also get sealants which are very cheap out there. So maybe you can carry down a few bottles of sealants to last you long enough. And also get good microfiber towels also.

And dont go by Autogeek prices. I was checking out Amazon today. Most of the stuff is priced lesser than autogeek which was a surprise for me.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post

I am using a Kestrel DA polisher, which I got from UK. With the customs duty of around 3600 Rs, I spent about 12-12.5 K on it. I think I got it from shinerama, it was promptly sent through Fedex and the duty was paid on delivery. It came with 5.5" and 6.5" backing plates ad I bought some pads also from them, mainly Lake county and 3M pads. Their site gives valuable information on detailing including information on different pads.
So far, I have used the Kestrel only twice and quite pleased with it. You can see the result below
Which version of the DAS6 is this? The pro one? How long did shipping take? Also was the price tag includimg customs? Also can you tel how much did it cost you for the pads?

This is a very good deal if it comes with backing plates. Wow.

How is the swirl removal with this machine? And can you run it continously from start to finish of polishing the entire car?

Thats a very well maintained finish i must say. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Detailing friends

The folks at Meguiar's have probably reduced the entry barrier significantly with their new system

USP

1. can be used with any existing drilling machine
2. Can be used with battery operated drilling machines too

Yay !!

check it out and I am planning to go for it. Let me see how useful it is and post my review right after using it..

If there are BHPians who have tried them already appreciate if you can post a short and quick review

Cheers
One BHPian already has this. I think It was SunnyBoi. You can go back a few pages where he has detailed his yellow palio with that machine. Looks good. Also he had listed out whatever attachments he had bought with the machine. SO that might help you.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 21st April 2013 at 12:25.
Old 21st April 2013, 12:19   #7250
BHPian

Detailing friends

The folks at Meguiar's have probably reduced the entry barrier significantly with their new system

USP

Yay !!

check it out and I am planning to go for it. Let me see how useful it is and post my review right after using it..

If there are BHPians who have tried them already appreciate if you can post a short and quick review

Cheers
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 13:11   #7251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Detailing friends

USP

Yay !!

Cheers
Is it available in Bangalore? Where and at what price? Also how is the availability of the pads since it uses smaller pads than those that are usually available
Old 21st April 2013, 14:42   #7252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post

That's some impressive work. What all did you use?
Old 21st April 2013, 16:46   #7253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Detailing friends

USP

Yay !!

Cheers
I got the DA power system from US when I came back in January this year.
Use this regularly with my Bosch 450 drill.

The DA power system comes with a yellow polishing pad, and I got 2 each of maroon cutting, yellow polishing and black finishing pads.

It is very easy to pick up and use without any prior DA experience, and is flexible enough to be used on smaller nooks and corners due to the 4 inch pads.

Only drawback that I feel is as it is small (4 inch), it takes more time finish working with he car when compared to a full sized DA. Also - using a drill for so long gives me backaches!

One thing I had researched extensively is that it is not advisable to use the DA power system with battery operated portable drills. Use a conventional wired drill instead for steady power throughout your detailing session.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 18:05   #7254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnagpur View Post

I have the same question here.
Learnt many things while following this informative thread.
Tried 50:50 vinegar:water, didn't help much. So I went with pure vinegar, & voila the deposits are gone.
Pic after deposit removal below.

Just have to work on the scratches next weekend.

Also tried the STP Son of a gun tyre foam. Before after pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-image3896250.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-image2852551383.jpg  

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-image676044433.jpg  

kumar_gautam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 18:44   #7255
BHPian

Quote:
One thing I had researched extensively is that it is not advisable to use the DA power system with battery operated portable drills. Use a conventional wired drill instead for steady power throughout your detailing session.
Is there a specific reason for that? I have a portable drill and would love to use the DA power system for detailing, if it makes sense.
Old 21st April 2013, 19:16   #7256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post

Is there a specific reason for that? I have a portable drill and would love to use the DA power system for detailing, if it makes sense.
I think the video advertisement shows the man using battery operated drill with the DA power system. And there would be no hasle of wires too.
Old 22nd April 2013, 08:40   #7257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
I think the video advertisement shows the man using battery operated drill with the DA power system. And there would be no hasle of wires too.
Just that you might lose power in mid of the detailing session, or might not achieve the required torque or RPM. With a wired drill (and an extension cable) you are always assured of top performance. Although there is always the chance of power cut
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:02   #7258
BHPian

Quote:
Just that you might lose power in mid of the detailing session, or might not achieve the required torque or RPM. With a wired drill (and an extension cable) you are always assured of top performance. Although there is always the chance of power cut
Hmm, yes, that's a concern. But I have a spare battery and together that should give me about four hours of continuous use. These days batteries have really improved, I'd say.

The other issue I can think of, with the DA power system, is the difference in ergonomics. You have to hold the drill vertically, as compared to horizontally for a real DA polisher. I am guessing it will not be as comfortable.
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:14   #7259
BHPian

Quote:

The other issue I can think of, with the DA power system, is the difference in ergonomics. You have to hold the drill vertically, as compared to horizontally for a real DA polisher. I am guessing it will not be as comfortable.
I use a Bosch Corded hammer drill regularly for my wood-working projects & around the house. I can assure you that using it vertically for long periods(more than 10-15mins) is going to be extremely uncomfortable & not to forget painful! Your shoulder, back neck, & upper back is going to get strained & stiff.
kumar_gautam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:39   #7260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, yes, that's a concern. But I have a spare battery and together that should give me about four hours of continuous use. These days batteries have really improved, I'd say.

Correct - the result of operating a heavy drill for hours is backache at the end of the detailing session.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks