Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2013, 07:50   #7621
Senior - BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
For the past few weeks, I have been aggressively looking for a full sized DA to add to my armory. The Meguiar's DA power system is good, but the small pad size and heavy drill takes it's toll.
Now I see it is almost impossible to buy a DA in India as no one sells it. Greenzcarcare.in are out of stock for Kestrel DAS6.
Can anyone provide any pointers on how I can get a genuine DA in India?

Rotaries on the other hand are available freely - but I am thinking twice before picking one up as one wrong step with the rotary can cause irreversible damage to paint.
I've used the DA Pwer system with a 400W drill and frankly got bored of it; takes too much time.

I prefer the rotary a lot more; gets things done up much quicker and finishes just the same, with cutting compounds a bit better thanks to the additional power.

Whatever you choose, you will have to invest heavily on pads and compounds. I have ~8 pads for the rotary and ~9 pads for the DA Power system and not to mention multiple compounds for each stage.

At the end its a choice - 5K Vs 20K? Easy way with DA Vs Experience+Patience with rotary? Do you detail so often is the additional cost justified? Vs Why not get it detailed once by a pro and focus on maintaining it?

In the meantime, found just bout enough time to wet sand another panel

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-img_1555.jpg

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 11th July 2013 at 07:52.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 09:43   #7622
BHPian

I am using white diluted vinegar(1 part water, 1 part vinegar) to remove previous wax, taking it section by section. Wipe the solution with a wet cloth before giving a fresh coat of wax.
The action gives me a terrific gloss.

My question, am I going wrong somewhere?
Old 11th July 2013, 14:32   #7623
BHPian

915 - One word - AMAZING !!! The first time Im ever in love with a paste wax. Such an easy application, easy buffing off even in this weather - no need to heat or any other efforts. Im in love with paste waxes
Attached Images

Parthasarathig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 16:30   #7624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
915 - One word - AMAZING !!! The first time Im ever in love with a paste wax. Such an easy application, easy buffing off even in this weather - no need to heat or any other efforts. Im in love with paste waxes
Good results there Partha ! Do apply it on your figo so that we also know how good it looks on light colored cars.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 18:41   #7625
BHPian

Quote:
Awesome! Does 915 go with white color? Where does one buy 915 and how does that compare with 845 on durability?

Thanks n cheers
Waxeloquent is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 20:02   #7626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post

Good results there Partha ! Do apply it on your figo so that we also know how good it looks on light colored cars.
Thanks. I did put it on one door of my figo but the car wasnt clayed neither was the bike. It was just for monsoon protection. Later, a full detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post

Awesome! Does 915 go with white color? Where does one buy 915 and how does that compare with 845 on durability?

Thanks n cheers
915 is supposed to be more durable than 845 plus smells better with white color, you cant expect eye popping results like black, but definitely a gloss will be there.

I got mine from Keystone in Bangalore. BBImpex also sells. The prices are same.
Old 11th July 2013, 20:45   #7627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
915 is supposed to be more durable than 845 plus smells better with white color, you cant expect eye popping results like black, but definitely a gloss will be there.
915 is less durable than 845.

Proper carnauba waxes are a delight to use try out more good carnauba waxes, I'm sure you'll abandon using any sealants from now on
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 21:37   #7628
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this is the right place, Mods can merge this post with the one above.

My car's headlight unfortunately has cataract, the clear plastic on the headlights have got a white haze on them.

So I was at the workshop last week and I saw a pair of discarded headlights from another car, which had hazed too much. I thought I'd give it a go anyway.

Forgot to click befores, but both headlights were in the same state. Bottom one fixed, upper one still as before.

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-hl1.jpg

Both done. yay saved tons of moolah by not having to buy new headlights

A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-hl2.jpg

Finish should look a lot better once I use machine polishers all this has been done by hand.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 21:59   #7629
BHPian

Amazing results Sunny ! Mount them onto your car or put them on a stand, so that they are fixed and use your rotary with a wood pad + M105. Finish off with a foam pad + polish. Sand down prior if required to remove any scratches.

You will get even better results , and save some moolah to buy more supplies of you know what
nirmaljusdoit is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 22:07   #7630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post

915 is less durable than 845.

Proper carnauba waxes are a delight to use try out more good carnauba waxes, I'm sure you'll abandon using any sealants from now on
SunnyBoi im afraid thats not the case with these collinite waxes. The collinite faqs state 476 as most durable, the 915 and then 845.

Somebody had also pointed it out to me on this thread long back. Heres a screenshot from the Collinite website.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130711_220237.png
Views: 1443
Size:  182.8 KB

And you are right about the carnauba. The smell is so nice, and the application was so easy as well as buffing off. 845 is now relegated to alloys duty and yes, sealants are no match like you said.

I get it that they are easy to use and stuff, but to hold a can of carnauba in one hand and rubbing the foam in it etc etc, its more like a sense of occasion compared to using a sealant and getting done with it.

Atleast now I understand, why all your posts are about carnauba next is wet sanding

Someday, I wish i can save up enough to try out Swissvax Crystal Rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Amazing results Sunny ! Mount them onto your car or put them on a stand, so that they are fixed and use your rotary with a wood pad + M105. Finish off with a foam pad + polish. Sand down prior if required to remove any scratches.

You will get even better results , and save some moolah to buy more supplies of you know what
I was reading today, some person used the same method with PlastX on his trim to revive it. You know like abrading the top layer and then protecting what comes beneath. Do you think it can be done with 105 also?

Also what foam pad would yiu advise on these headlights for finishing down?

Sunnyboi did you manage to get your hands on Dlux?

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 11th July 2013 at 22:14.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 23:27   #7631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SunnyBoi im afraid thats not the case with these collinite waxes. The collinite faqs state 476 as most durable, the 915 and then 845.
Thanks; I stand corrected

Quote:
I get it that they are easy to use and stuff, but to hold a can of carnauba in one hand and rubbing the foam in it etc etc, its more like a sense of occasion compared to using a sealant and getting done with it.

Atleast now I understand, why all your posts are about carnauba next is wet sanding
ehhhehe it is infact all about the total experience I cant help but keep sniffing at the wax tin of Mothers Carnauba because of the delicious cinnamon smell!

Wet sanding is not required unless your paint is in a really bad shape. Usually caused by repainting.

Quote:
Someday, I wish i can save up enough to try out Swissvax Crystal Rock.
Collinite 915 is as good a carnauba wax as any. I have 3 tins of dod juice and trust me, I wont be spending anymore on expensive waxes. Only the ones which are VFM.

Quote:
I was reading today, some person used the same method with PlastX on his trim to revive it. You know like abrading the top layer and then protecting what comes beneath. Do you think it can be done with 105 also?
I tried 105 + cutting pad on plastic trim and it burnt through the plastic. NOT RECOMMENDED!

Quote:
Sunnyboi did you manage to get your hands on Dlux?
Nope. Dlux plan put on hold indefinitely courtesy of $$$ rates.

Quote:
Also what foam pad would yiu advise on these headlights for finishing down?
It depends on the current state of your headlights. I used 400, 600, 1500 grit wet sanding on these headlights; later on used 3M Fine Rubbing compound on them to bring it to the state as shown in the pic.

I'll use a round of 105 + cutting pad and polishing pad + Mothers plastic polish on it. Opticoat it sometime later for permanent protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post

Thanks for the advice! I'll be doing it soon; hopefully tomorrow!

Last edited by aah78 : 13th July 2013 at 04:09. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 23:54   #7632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
I am using white diluted vinegar(1 part water, 1 part vinegar) to remove previous wax, taking it section by section. Wipe the solution with a wet cloth before giving a fresh coat of wax.
The action gives me a terrific gloss.

My question, am I going wrong somewhere?

As far as I know, vinegar is a descaler - it will dissolve the salts that cause hard water and therefore can dissolve water spots. The gloss that you are getting is because of -

A. Vinegar preventing hard water spots.
B. Waxing afterwards.

i dont know for sure though, how paint safe vinegar is on repeated uses, so Id bring down that dilution to even lesser. Its pretty strong even in lesser concentrations so its more cost effective that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post

ehhhehe it is infact all about the total experience I cant help but keep sniffing at the wax tin of Mothers Carnauba because of the delicious cinnamon smell!
Yes you feel like you are doing something important - and something more involving. Sealants are ok for most people, but there is something about a tin of carnauba paste wax - and im glad I joined that group today.

cinnamon you say?? Deliciously inedible. even this Megs QD smells of cinnamon.

Quote:
Wet sanding is not required unless your paint is in a really bad shape. Usually caused by repainting.
Ive a bit of orange peel, but im scared to try out as its OEM paint and Mr. Nirmal tells oem paints are usually very thin. I do plan on acquiring a panel soon.

Quote:
Collinite 915 is as good a carnauba wax as any. I have 3 tins of dod juice and trust me, I wont be spending anymore on expensive waxes. Only the ones which are VFM
Haha what about Autofinesse Illusion. Thats also on my list.

But yes, 915 will last longer than most carnahba waxes and will give such an amazing gloss and deep reflections on darker colors. My next mission is to completely polish the car by next week hopefully and then put 915 on it. Maybe the gloss will be mouth watering like yours.

And maybe ill take one of those pictures, with the tub of collinite sitting on my hood on top of a mf towel - you know the drill haha. The way the wax just melted when dabbing the foam pad today, felt awesome. Its nowhere as hard as many people make it out to be.

Quote:
I tried 105 + cutting pad on plastic trim and it burnt through the plastic. NOT RECOMMENDED!
Thanks for the warning. Next week for sure my trim would have gone kaput.

Quote:
Nope. Dlux plan put on hold indefinitely courtesy of $$$ rates
Dammit these rates are spoiling all our detailing purchases argh.

Quote:
I'll use a round of 105 + cutting pad and polishing pad + Mothers plastic polish on it. Opticoat it sometime later for permanent protection.
Pictures, pictures and then some more pictures please

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 11th July 2013 at 23:55.
Parthasarathig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 15:52   #7633

Any tips for maintaining powder coated black alloys on my Duster? Any special care in the rains?
Old 12th July 2013, 19:07   #7634
BHPian

Question,

Stay in a appartment with no access to flowing water or electrical point in basement and for washing cars was thinking of a manual agricultural pump sprayer like the one in the website
http://www.kisankraft.com/Products/ManualSprayers.htm

Anybody ever tried this and if yes any pointers where to get them in bangalore

Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 20:58   #7635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrygamer View Post
Question,

ever tried this and if yes any pointers where to get them in bangalore

Thanks
SP road is your best bet. I dont have any plug in my basement. So have dropped a custom extension wire from my room to the basement. You can try that.

Pressure generated wont be much, but you'll have to do a lot of pumping.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks