Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2007, 15:47   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepd11 View Post
I was informed that the car i blocked has already left for Trivandrum and i would receive it within a week before any price change comes in. Altogether i was extremely dissapointed with the available extra fittings. It looks like maruthi has forced all diesel lovers to not use these features even though they are willing to pay for it.
The price you will finally pay won't be on the date of booking but on delivery date. However, there shouldn't be any increase in the price of the Diesel Swift (I think new prices will be announced today), because the Swift D has just been launched.

And as for the extra features, although you would be willing to pay for it, many others would not in this extremely cost-conscious market. As it is some "big" cars are available at the price of the Swift and many just look at size without looking at features (especially the safety ones) and decide "big" is better. And with cars like the Logan expected at the same price, Maruti would want to be as competitive as possible.

But I'm sure you'll enjoy your Swift D! Congrats on a great buy!

-Ivor

Swift ZXi / Silky Silver
Old 1st February 2007, 17:08   #32
BHPian

Hi All,

After driving the Esteem Di for a long time, getting behind the wheel of a Swift VDi for a test drive was a refreshing change. Turned the key and I could hardly hear the engine.

I have been driving the Esteem Di so my comparisons are based on that.

Gear shifts are much better than in the Esteem Di. As mentioned earlier in these posts, there is a bit of turbo lag, but after that the car responds quickly to the pedal. The road view is better in the Esteem than the VDi. A seat height adjuster is badly needed in the VDi. Noise in the cabin from the engine is practically nil. Brakes are decent, could not take the car to high speeds to check them better. Options are limited. No ABS, driver seat height adjustment, hatch is not a part of the cental locking, rear parcel tray (not sure whether it is available as standard in the Petrol Swift) etc. I dont think MUL is even thinking about all these for the Swift DDis right now. I must say that the engine impressed me the most.

But I would really like to see how the VDi behaves after 1K / 10 K kms of driving. Will the engine still remain silent? Something to be found out.

For now, I am giving in my Esteem Di and going for the VDi. No exchange offer or discount available on this though. Cost is 5.54L on road in Chennai. After covering 82K, although the Esteem Di gives a great km/l, it sounds like a truck and the pickup is low especially if the AC is on.

Brijesh.
Esteem Di -> Swift VDi
Old 1st February 2007, 17:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusgetgoing View Post
For now, I am giving in my Esteem Di and going for the VDi. No exchange offer or discount available on this though. Cost is 5.54L on road in Chennai. After covering 82K, although the Esteem Di gives a great km/l, it sounds like a truck and the pickup is low especially if the AC is on.
Dude there is 5K exchange bonus when i asked them. You can even try to get a loyalty bonus..
Old 1st February 2007, 17:47   #34
BHPian

Hi guys,

Just now returned from the test drive of VDi at Mandovi motors Lavelle road.

NVH: very low, myself and my colleague were unable to make out if the car is infact on.
Looks and interiors: Same as the Swift Vxi except for the badging Vdi and the DDIS badge.
Exteriors: You get body colored RVM and door handles
Power: I managed to redline the Vdi on the first and second gear here is the comparison
Diesel

Last edited by anarchist : 1st February 2007 at 18:05. Reason: Mods delete this message double post by mistake
Old 1st February 2007, 18:03   #35
BHPian

Swift VDi test drive

Hi All,

I just returned from the test drive of the Swift VDi. I do own the petrol Vxi model. My comments are as below

NVH: Amazingly low for a diesel. We were unable to make out if the engine was off or on.

Looks n Interiors: Same as the Swift petrol. The only change is the upholstry.

Instrument panel: The RPM limit is 6000 rpm (rev limiter at around 5400 5500 RPM (In the petrol its 6800).

Exteriors: Same as the Petrol Vxi except for body color RVM and body colored door handles.

Gears and Clutch: Am told that the gear box is slightly different from the petrol one, no further info on the difference. Short gear shift's similar to the petrol model. Clutch is a little hard when compared to the petrol not anywhere as hard as my friend Palio 1.2's (petrol) clutch.

Performance: Managed 100kmph in the 3rd gear so my feedback is limited to that. Turbo lag is clearly evident below 2000 RPM and its a drag till you get to 2000 RPM.

Gears Petrol (rpm) Diesel (rpm)
1 60 - 65 kmph (6800) 45 kmph (5400)
2 100 -105 kmph (6800) 85 kmph (5400)

With the windows fully rolled up and without the aircon running. its difficult to make out its a diesel even if you are driving on high rev's, this is really the best part. Mileage claims are at 15 to 18kmpl with/without a/c which sounds really good.

I had a colleague of mine who wanted to buy the petrol swift and he had apprehensions about Diesel cars in general. He too took a test drive and is going for the diesel now.

As for me well I guess I still prefer the petrol over the diesel anyday as the petrol is surely a better performer than the diesel.

No discounts on the Diesel whatsoever. Waiting period told as 2 to 3 months.

Last edited by anarchist : 1st February 2007 at 18:08. Reason: Added more info
Old 1st February 2007, 18:31   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

For now, I am giving in my Esteem Di and going for the VDi.
Brijesh.
Esteem Di -> Swift VDi
Buddy , can you pl. indicate what price are you getting for your Esteem DI ?

I also have one with 25000 kms on odo and planning to follow your footsteps...
Old 1st February 2007, 18:49   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Buddy , can you pl. indicate what price are you getting for your Esteem DI ?

I also have one with 25000 kms on odo and planning to follow your footsteps...
Hey w 12, I have a Apr 2003 model and Maruti True Value quoted 2.6L for that. They have not seen the vehicle and this was quoted when I talked to them.

And no schemes for the Swift DDiS is what I was told by 2 dealers. Exchange bonus, loyalty bonus and so forth.
Old 1st February 2007, 19:03   #38
Team-BHP Support

My friend got delivery of the Swift VDi three days back... Today got to check out the car...

He already has a fiesta... I have driven the accent, and my neighbour has a Verna... I feel swift is the second most refined car (with fiesta being a bit better on idling)

All in all... I feel its the best buy in the premium hatch range...
Old 2nd February 2007, 16:17   #39
BHPian

Quote:
And no schemes for the Swift DDiS is what I was told by 2 dealers. Exchange bonus, loyalty bonus and so forth.
Wait for 6 more months and all these will start....but then you have to calculate how much more your car will depreciate... I believe it will be worthwhile to wait and check.... it will also give time for Maruti to fix all the problems that the initial "guinea pigs" have...sorry for that word, but all Indian companies use customers as test beds initially!...
Old 2nd February 2007, 16:30   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Looks n Interiors: Same as the Swift petrol. The only change is the upholstry.
Is it better than the petrol or worse when compared to petrol ?
Old 3rd February 2007, 09:05   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Hey w 12, I have a Apr 2003 model and Maruti True Value quoted 2.6L for that. They have not seen the vehicle and this was quoted when I talked to them.

Thanks a lot for the info.... I have something to work on now.
Old 3rd February 2007, 11:15   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The RPM limit is 6000 rpm (rev limiter at around 5400 5500 RPM (In the petrol its 6800).
5500 rpm on a diesel? Wow!
Old 3rd February 2007, 11:32   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
5500 rpm on a diesel? Wow!
Yaa... Its quite free revving... Actually doesnt feel like a diesel... Almost like the fiesta in comparison...

Hey... can somebody update on the real world mileage???
Old 5th February 2007, 22:25   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post
Gears Petrol (rpm) Diesel (rpm)
1 60 - 65 kmph (6800) 45 kmph (5400)
2 100 -105 kmph (6800) 85 kmph (5400)

Turbo lag is till 1800 rpm or whereabouts say at 2k there is no lag.

2ND GEAR 85 KMPH @ 5400 RPM means 31kmph at 2000 RPM

now can somebody drive the vehicle in 3rd/4th/5th gear and find the Gear-rpm correlation, cos in this way we can figure out minimum speeds in every gear so that the turbo lag never rears its head. Moreover this would also mean (since the turbo is always spooled up) the most efficient way of driving the Swift D.

My guess is that we can upshift this vehicle much sooner than the Swift Petrol and still get a decent performance.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2007, 00:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

Drove the Swift Today and here are my views : -

Gearbox is not that great. Performance is good, Tyres are puny, third gear cornered 90 degrees and it wheel spined badly at the tap of the accelerator. But the car is terribly equiped. Most of the features are missing which is really very sad.

Last edited by BUSA : 6th February 2007 at 00:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks