Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2012, 19:56   #1576
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Nice car, although needs a bit more TLC, a proper paintjob.

Good to see that many '59 chevys are still surviving in India! These are my favourite of the old chevys.
Old 21st April 2012, 14:16   #1577
BHPian

Great to publish my first post on Team-Bhp
Name: Dodge Kingsway.
Owner: TVS Iyengar & Sons Madurai.
Current Location Garage of Madurai Sundaram Honda Showroom under cover.
Others: This car was another car owned by Shri TV Sundaram Iyengar along with his other Cadillac Fleetwood V8 which is on display at TVS showroom Madurai and had been already discussed here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...lection-4.html .
As per TVS garage senior employee " This car was very sentimental to Late Shri Iyergar that he was very cautious to preserve this piece in his personal garage and hidden from public." There was a local auto expo in Madurai last year in which some classic cars participated. TVS displayed their Cadillac for the first time out of their showroom, but never ever exposed that they had got another car Dodge. When I was there to the TVS garage recently, I found a huge car hidden under cover (possibly was under some repairs ) I requested the manger for some shot and he just lift off the front part of the cover. Here are the pictures.
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-dodge-front.jpg
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-dodge-logo.jpg
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-dodge-fender-view.jpg
jeganatu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 15:17   #1578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
Wow, nice to see another car with TVS! Yes this car is not visible when you visit their showroom or even their Southern Roadways office at Madurai (where
I'd been on my first and so far only trip to Madurai in 2009), you can find some vintage cars parked there though.

Looks nice but for those oversize halogen foglamps!!

And why those grilles cut out into the bonnet I wonder!
Old 21st April 2012, 16:54   #1579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Name: Dodge Kingsway......
A play with statistics, I thanked this post and as of now he has two "thanks" against only one post!

I have been to the TVS garage about 22 years ago, and there was a Packard of 1940's with them too. Please try to find something about it.
And those extra vents for cooling, btw is the engine still an original petrol?

Here is an Opel Kapitan, a German road barge, now seldom seen. Have a close look.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-opel-kapitan-01.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 21st April 2012 at 16:55.
Old 21st April 2012, 17:41   #1580
Senior - BHPian

Whats with the extra faux grills on the Dodge bonnet. Such grills never came with the car if im not mistaken.
Old 21st April 2012, 17:57   #1581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Wow, nice to see another car with TVS! Yes this car is not visible when you visit their showroom or even their Southern Roadways office at Madurai (where
I'd been on my first and so far only trip to Madurai in 2009), you can find some vintage cars parked there though.

Looks nice but for those oversize halogen foglamps!!

And why those grilles cut out into the bonnet I wonder!
Are you sure still other vintages are parked in Southern roadways campus, If so I can make a visit to capture the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Whats with the extra faux grills on the Dodge bonnet. Such grills never came with the car if im not mistaken.
Yes I too found those grills never came in original version, May be they should make way to suck in additional air intake for radiator cooling.
Old 21st April 2012, 18:04   #1582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure still other vintages are parked in Southern roadways campus, If so I can make a visit to capture the same.
Just a word of caution- they do NOT allow any photos to be taken of those cars. You might be able to see them but that's it.
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:01   #1583
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I too found those grills never came in original version, May be they should make way to suck in additional air intake for radiator cooling.
I really wonder why the awful slats were put. American engines rarely overheat (even if they are not in the best of shape) cause they are relatively low revving large engines. And with a side valve engine as this car should have, overheating should not be an issue at all.

Maybe it's just the extra bling that was desired

mbz180
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:33   #1584
Senior - BHPian

haha - I think he could not figure out a Badge Bar .. Pretty funny . Nice shade . And looks like an intact car

Cheers

Quote:
Others: This car was another car owned by Shri TV Sundaram Iyengar along with his other Cadillac Fleetwood V8 which is on display at TVS showroom Madurai and had been already discussed here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...lection-4.html .
As per TVS garage senior employee " This car was very sentimental to Late Shri Iyergar that he was very cautious to preserve this piece in his personal garage and hidden from public." There was a local auto expo in Madurai last year in which some classic cars participated. TVS displayed their Cadillac for the first time out of their showroom, but never ever exposed that they had got another car Dodge. When I was there to the TVS garage recently, I found a huge car hidden under cover (possibly was under some repairs ) I requested the manger for some shot and he just lift off the front part of the cover. Here are the pictures.
Attachment 918386
Attachment 918387
Attachment 918388
Old 23rd April 2012, 20:25   #1585
Senior - BHPian

These grills are just add ons. If you look carefully the paint is seen in between the grille cuts that means the metal has not been cut.
Old 24th April 2012, 08:46   #1586
BHPian

Alfa on F1 Track

Was going through a friend's photo album of Track day at Buddh International circuit when I was pleasantly surprised to find an Alfa 1750 GTV(I think so) racing along with other modern cars. Kudos to the owner for taking the car to the f1 track, goes on to show that the car is in perfect running condition.

Ps: I have never seen this car on delhi roads or in rallies, is this car delhi based?

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-523224_10151550590030656_675990655_12141722_12782474_n.jpg

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-480929_10151550590695656_675990655_12141725_1638231229_n.jpg

Last edited by vagu : 24th April 2012 at 09:03.
vagu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 17:41   #1587
BHPian

Re: Alfa on F1 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagu View Post
Track day at Buddh International circuit when I was pleasantly surprised to find an Alfa 1750 GTV.
Ps: I have never seen this car on delhi roads or in rallies, is this car delhi based?
Belongs to the Oberoi family (Oberoi Hotels - EIH Ltd). I last saw the car about four/five years ago, she was in superb condition, and Arjun Oberoi was understandably very proud of her. The blue colour with tan interiors was a delight to behold!
Old 24th April 2012, 18:26   #1588
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 918386
Attachment 918387
Attachment 918388
Sir,

A great car belonging to doyen of automobile industry in India.
The car seems to be in original condition. Dodge Kingsway of 1956 is perhaps the most majestic and stylish classic car.
We had a similar car in black colour given to my grandfather from his employer FIRESTONE TYRE CO. (1956 TO 1964).

Anant
Nagpur

Last edited by karlosdeville : 24th April 2012 at 18:33. Reason: Please do not type entire post in CAPS. Thanks.
Old 7th May 2012, 21:26   #1589
BHPian

X-machine, a most generous and sumptuous serving of vintage autos. The array of antiques, collectibles, and moderns was well organized.
I do have one comment, however. The 1935 Buick Roadmaster convertible is a "1939" Roadmaster Convertible, complete with 322 cubic inch straight eight engine, standard transmission, and enclosed driveline. I thought you might want to know this.
Old 8th May 2012, 21:09   #1590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonrock
X-machine, a most generous and sumptuous serving of vintage autos. The array of antiques, collectibles, and moderns was well organized.
I do have one comment, however. The 1935 Buick Roadmaster convertible is a "1939" Roadmaster Convertible, complete with 322 cubic inch straight eight engine, standard transmission, and enclosed driveline. I thought you might want to know this.
X machine is what a magazine or link site

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks