Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2009, 13:53   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Congrats!
Absolute Drool material.Nice color combination.When are the CFLs goin in?
Any plans for OTRs?
Hi Aqualeo,
Thanks a lot! CFLs, i definitely would want to go in that direction.
In two minds, whether to do it right away or wait for the warranty period to get over and then get this done. By then, if the front ones are also ready, i could go for all the 4 at once. OTRs, definitely yes. Would prefer to start with some soft OTRs. Our B'lore gang is way ahead and i need some lessons to catch up with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Hi,first a hearty congratulations for getting the king!.I have been following your thread with abated interest for the past few days.brilliant write up.The gypsy looks absolutely butch with those new tyres.

Sorry for going OT.i study at BMS college.From your post i gathered you live nearby?
Hey Avi,
Thanks a lot for your message. I went for BFGs only because i liked the way they looked on the Gypsy. I just learnt from one of Dwarak Sir's post that these are harder compared to Yokos. So, maybe Yokos would have offered me a slightly better ride quality.

BMS is just about 3 kms from my place. I stay further south at Banashankari 3 Stage. If you would want to see it, let me know. We could meet up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh_sg View Post
Deepak,

Your Gypsy looks awesome. Please post some interior pics. Planning to make my dream of owning a Gypsy come true by early next year.

Rajesh
Thanks Rajesh. Do not expect anything from Gypsy's interiors. They are very basic. Will surely post the interior pictures as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@ Starter: Have you enquired about AC fitment in the Gypsy?

Also what is the kind of FE you are getting ?
Hey MileCruncher,
Yup, enquired about AC at the showroom itself. They said that they could do it and it shall cost me 30K. They also offered me an option of having an additional blower above the B pillar for the rear seats.
Since this would void the warranty, i postponed the idea to next year.

Fuel Efficiency is about 9 to 10km to a liter in mostly city traffic conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Looks really cool man, the Gypsy has always been one of my dream vehicles and nothing can substitute it.
A few questions though:
What was the feedback about the ride at the rear seat, in case there was any?
What is the FE you have been getting so far? I know it will improve with running in but just a ball park figure?
How do you feel while driving it in the city in terms of handling, ride and steering?

And last but not the least, When are you posting the interior and engine pics??!!!
Hey Dev,
Feedback? I was getting some really dirty stares or some totally shocked looks and nothing else. If you have like 4 people at the back, the ride is slightly better. I don't know if everybody agree with this or not. There are times, on a long highway journey, that you miss to notice a pothole or a road undulation. Atleast i have, in my fusion. If you happen to do that in your Gypsy, with people at the back, you can say good bye to them and they can say good bye to their back and skull
FE is about 9 to 10kmpl in city. It isn't bad actually. But, i still cannot upshift it like how i do it in normal cars. I upshift only when i know that i do not have to downshift immediately. I somehow get a thud sound from my front differential if i shift it like how i do in a normal car. So, i now shift a lot more slowly to reduce that sound by making sure the road ahead is a little free. If not, i continue driving in the same gear.

@Experts: Is this common in a Gypsy which has no free wheeling hubs?

Handling/Steering - It goes on the road like as if its drunk. I do not know if it is the same with others' Gypsy or if it is the same with any non power assisted steering. In my Gypsy, if you turn the steering wheel by half a turn and then you leave your hand from the steering wheel, it does not come back to the original straight position. It continues to go in the same direction as it was while you left your hand. So, you would need to correct the steering position immediately. Other than that, the steering is a little too hard when you are parking your car or changing lanes in peak traffic. Suspension is very hard, so is the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
If you are going to use this as a daily drive, first thing is to go for
Power steering, shall be more useful for city drive with up sized tires and upgrade to only CFL's at the rear. If budget is a constraint toss a sand bag at the rear that would make a comfortable ride..
Go for FFE. that make it little powerful.This will never set you back much.

Kindly remove the no. plate at the rear and place it at the rear door next to the spare wheel by removing the rear decals. while doing OTR's that will get in touch while in departure. Go for HSR no plate.
I personally hate the Maruti "M" at the front, can also be replaced with "S".Will sit exactly in the socket. This is completely personal though.
BTW where do you stay in B'lore? Wanna see the ride.
Love the BFG than yoko, don't know why. looks good with them. Seems to be you have tinted, what brand?
Hi Ram,
Power steering isn't on the list now. I've heard that the steering becomes very vague with these Koyo units. So, i am staying away from them. CFLs, definitely but once its tested. FFE and better air intake, not really high-prio. Maybe, some months later.
Not just the number plate but even the holder has to be removed Ram. I've seen Khan & Siddhu's plates bent. I shall do something for these before going on an OTR.
I stay in Banashankari 3 Stage. You are most welcome, i'll PM you my number. Tint is 3M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Starter,

congratulations firstly.

Wonderful color, and i know how happy someone feels to live his Dreams.

Congrats once again, Have a looooooong term Happy relationship with your new Ride.

We expect some more nice photos.
Hey Pavan,
Thank you so much buddy.
More photos? Nice, i understand. Am not that good at it....
Oh ok, you mean, more nicer pictures?
I shall try to take better pictures and upload it, maybe in the weekend.
Lovely Morris Minor you are working on lately.. All the best with that.

Cheers,
Deepak
Old 12th November 2009, 13:58   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Dear Harjeev,
I still love your 1985 CJ3B
Very true about army jeeps. You need to be lucky to get a considerably good vehicle and you need to have access to genuine mechanics to bring it back to shape. I wish you all luck in building your rally prepped Gypsy Harjeev. I shall also keep a watch here, if i find a neat vehicle, i shall keep you informed.

Cheers Everybody,
Deepak
Hi buddy, You couldn't be more true about army disposals. A friend of mine bought a Gypsy 1.3 Carb about 6 months back and apart from other things the rear differentials tubing was bent and welded at 2 places!!! Poor guy only came to know about this after he broke an axle once and fixed leaking oil seals twice or thrice!!!
One has to be really fortunate to be lucky, So thats the reason that I've decided to buy wither a brand new (like you've done) or buy a 2005 around from the 2nd had market and spend the rest of the money that I save on performance mods.
Now that I've restored 2 disposals a 2nd hand vehicle (provided it's in a decent shape) should be a piece of cake!!! Will wait for a year before I start my journey though!!1

Thanks and best of luck with your mods too!!!
Old 12th November 2009, 15:25   #63
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new Gypsy! Red looks very good, I have to say. I have to raise my hat to you for your determination in going through with this, as your first car and long may it last. I can see from your posts that you are getting to know its traits! I noticed somewhere that you also ride a Bullet, so that choice explains some of the reasoning.
I just got back from a 1400kms trip to Goa in my new Gypsy, and the car performed superbly - have posted a thread in the travelogues. I am surprised to see that you don't have a coolant tank cap leakage problem - have you checked for that? Some other new cars have the problem, hence the advice. I used thread sealant tape on my replacement bottle and that finally fixed that one glitch. The dhunk while changing gears is in my car as well, if one shifts in a hurry. I think it is fixable though, but I shall wait for the 5000kms service to get that seen to, some care can deliver noiseless shifts even now.
Enjoy the new car, and this is one car where you don't have to lose sleep over it getting dirty or getting a nick/dent or two, so the rest of the traffic beware!
Old 12th November 2009, 15:50   #64
BHPian

love the spirit man, was a dream of mine too for many years. well lets jus say the dream remains but the decision making process changed and got influenced by many other factors. love the car, and keep the shiny side up
Old 12th November 2009, 17:42   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanramesh View Post
love the spirit man, was a dream of mine too for many years. well lets jus say the dream remains but the decision making process changed and got influenced by many other factors. love the car, and keep the shiny side up
Thanks Ramesh. I know what you mean with that change in your decision making process. Will definitely try my best to keep it well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Congratulations on the new Gypsy! Red looks very good, I have to say. I have to raise my hat to you for your determination in going through with this, as your first car and long may it last. I can see from your posts that you are getting to know its traits! I noticed somewhere that you also ride a Bullet, so that choice explains some of the reasoning.
I just got back from a 1400kms trip to Goa in my new Gypsy, and the car performed superbly - have posted a thread in the travelogues. I am surprised to see that you don't have a coolant tank cap leakage problem - have you checked for that? Some other new cars have the problem, hence the advice. I used thread sealant tape on my replacement bottle and that finally fixed that one glitch. The dhunk while changing gears is in my car as well, if one shifts in a hurry. I think it is fixable though, but I shall wait for the 5000kms service to get that seen to, some care can deliver noiseless shifts even now.
Enjoy the new car, and this is one car where you don't have to lose sleep over it getting dirty or getting a nick/dent or two, so the rest of the traffic beware!
Hey Sawyer,
Not sure if you remember me. We've discussed earlier already about the coolant issue as well as the ride quality on your Goa travelogue.
Totally agree with you on this sound from the front differential or somewhere on changing gears. If you are extremely careful, you can avoid this, but in peak bumper to bumper traffic, i sometimes fumble
Would be very helpful if you could disclose what your mechanic/service center did to solve it when you go for your next service.
Thanks a lot for your message Sawyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hi buddy, You couldn't be more true about army disposals. A friend of mine bought a Gypsy 1.3 Carb about 6 months back and apart from other things the rear differentials tubing was bent and welded at 2 places!!! Poor guy only came to know about this after he broke an axle once and fixed leaking oil seals twice or thrice!!!
One has to be really fortunate to be lucky, So thats the reason that I've decided to buy wither a brand new (like you've done) or buy a 2005 around from the 2nd had market and spend the rest of the money that I save on performance mods.
Now that I've restored 2 disposals a 2nd hand vehicle (provided it's in a decent shape) should be a piece of cake!!! Will wait for a year before I start my journey though!!1

Thanks and best of luck with your mods too!!!
Hey Harjeev,
Sorry to hear about your friend's vehicle. My dad used to work in the defence (Quality Assurance) and he was transferred to Avadi for 4 years. I tried asking him to help me with a defence auction but he advised me to go for a new one instead.
With so much experience you gathered with RANGER, am sure restoring a civilian specimen would be a piece of cake.

Cheers,
Deepak
Old 13th November 2009, 08:57   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Sawyer,
Not sure if you remember me. We've discussed earlier already about the coolant issue as well as the ride quality on your Goa travelogue.
Totally agree with you on this sound from the front differential or somewhere on changing gears. If you are extremely careful, you can avoid this, but in peak bumper to bumper traffic, i sometimes fumble
Would be very helpful if you could disclose what your mechanic/service center did to solve it when you go for your next service.
Thanks a lot for your message Sawyer.

Cheers,
Deepak
I remember!
Will let you know about the transmission fix, I suspect it just needs tightening up a bit somewhere.
Old 14th November 2009, 10:52   #67
Senior - BHPian

@Starter - The dealer service manager test drove the car and said that the car is ok and any noise that I am hearing is normal to the car...as we know, it can be avoided with some skill in shifting.
Since it may be of common interest, I am going to take the liberty of posing a question here to all who have input to give -leaving AC and power steering out of the picture, what are the mods in order of priority to make the car easier to live with without compromising the off road capability of the stock car. No increase on that count is ok, what I am looking for is keeping it as reliable as it is, as off road capable it is in stock form, but without compromising on that, make it easier to live with on road.
My list in order of priority, for inputs and changes from gypsy gurus:
1. Rear CFLs
2. Better front seats - what would be fit and be markedly better than the OE seats?
3. Any way to reduce the flapping racket the soft top makes at speed?
4. Lockable hubs to make the car lighter to steer, if so, what make?
I am not sure about the merits of front CFLs, I am quite ok with how the front rides actually, it is the rear that needs taming to stop it from going at the kidneys!
Anything else?
PS: and on the lockable hubs, a question. If they are in unlocked position, can the car run in 2wd, in low range? Would that allow for using low range on good surfaces for steep climbs and descents without stressing the transmission? I ask this because of a discussion last night where I was told that with the hubs unlocked, the car can only remain in 2wd high range and the low range will not work even in 2wd mode. Since this is the opposite of an earlier post here some time ago, the question.
Starter, I trust you are ok for posting this on your thread, I thought it better than opening a new one. You might have inputs/questions to add as well.

Last edited by Sawyer : 14th November 2009 at 10:56.
Old 14th November 2009, 11:09   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My list in order of priority, for inputs and changes from gypsy gurus:
1. Rear CFLs
2. Better front seats - what would be fit and be markedly better than the OE seats?
3. Any way to reduce the flapping racket the soft top makes at speed?
4. Lockable hubs to make the car lighter to steer, if so, what make?
I am not sure about the merits of front CFLs, I am quite ok with how the front rides actually, it is the rear that needs taming to stop it from going at the kidneys!
Anything else?
PS: and on the lockable hubs, a question. If they are in unlocked position, can the car run in 2wd, in low range? Would that allow for using low range on good surfaces for steep climbs and descents without stressing the transmission? I ask this because of a discussion last night where I was told that with the hubs unlocked, the car can only remain in 2wd high range and the low range will not work even in 2wd mode. Since this is the opposite of an earlier post here some time ago, the question.
Rear CFL would be #2 on my list AFTER better front seats. You will have no idea about this till the time you change to better/comfortable front seats. And no amount of padding/cushioning on OE seats would do. I have been down that path and it did not work till the time I changed the seats.

There is NO way reduce the flapping. Just learn to live with it :-)

Yes, do go for the FWH. IT does help the steering feel. Lamda from bangalore makes those and you can find their contact in threads in 4x4 section.

Cheers,
Old 14th November 2009, 11:16   #69
Senior - BHPian

Reason I put down the rear CFLs first is that I drove another Gypsy yesterday that has those, with OE seats, and it felt like another car! I guess the thing to do is to do both things then, any idea what replacement seats are drop in fits?
Re the FWH, does it make any sense to look for better imported ones? And any response to my low range in 2wd question?
Old 14th November 2009, 11:29   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Reason I put down the rear CFLs first is that I drove another Gypsy yesterday that has those, with OE seats, and it felt like another car! I guess the thing to do is to do both things then, any idea what replacement seats are drop in fits?
Re the FWH, does it make any sense to look for better imported ones? And any response to my low range in 2wd question?
In that case, imagine the difference that good seats would make. Now, there are NO drop in seats and ALL replacement seats would need some changes at the frame rail of the existing seat frame. I put in BMW 3 series seats and they sit in fine. The existing frame rail had to be removed and the new seats bolted directly on the body.

So any seat should work and would involve mods to the frame rails. I have heard from people that innova/Safari front seats are good.

If you have a HT, then pay attention to the passenger side seat as the OE seat has that pulling back wire for allowing people to get into the back seat using the passenger seat

As for FWH, get any FWH that you manage. Not much rocket science there.

For the 2WD part, don't worry too much about it. why would you want 2WD L and stress out the driveline? just get out, engage the FWH and put in 4WD H/L.!!
Old 14th November 2009, 11:54   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
If you have a HT, then pay attention to the passenger side seat as the OE seat has that pulling back wire for allowing people to get into the back seat using the passenger seat

For the 2WD part, don't worry too much about it. why would you want 2WD L and stress out the driveline? just get out, engage the FWH and put in 4WD H/L.!!
The soft top has the pulling back wired seat as well.
And to the 2wd low range question - for crawling or climbing/descending where the surface still affords good tyre adhesion, to use low range without stressing the drive line in turns. On good surfaces using 4wd in either range would stress the driveline given that the car has no center differential.
Old 14th November 2009, 12:23   #72
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen, take your seats

@Sawyer - Go for Safari front seats. Quite comfortable, taller than sedan front seats and less expensive than Merc/BMW seats. I'm researching the same for my Gypsy project, as and when it happens.

You can also go for Sparco/Recaro front seats, if you have the money.

I'd suggest also throw out the rear seats and get a custom made seat. I've seen a Delhi Gypsy where the owner has put in an incredibly comfortable rear seat, much like a leather sofa. Alternatively, you can try safari rear seats.
Old 14th November 2009, 15:07   #73
Senior - BHPian

starter, congratulations on your dream machine, looks cool in that shade.
Enjoy your ride.
Old 14th November 2009, 17:15   #74
BHPian

congrats on your purchase bro.I want a new gypsy too..let see if i can get one here in kerala!!
Old 14th November 2009, 21:26   #75
Team-BHP Support

Spent some time today with this one. Didn't drive it though. Red white combination looks really nice. It was pretty late to do proper justice as a shot. But there's always next time.

Actually this is one test shot for me. 2X extender with 70-200. This is at 400mm.

Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-gys1.jpg
Rudra Sen is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks