Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2012, 22:39   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)

I am still waiting for someone to make something like this for the Gypsy. I hate the stock Gypsy HT and looking to change. Any chance of Prabhu taking this up
Old 1st October 2012, 14:02   #167
BHPian

the best Thar HT design (IMO) . would love to see more pics specially on other colored (red/beige) thars.
Old 4th October 2012, 18:41   #168
BHPian

Have posted couple of pics on a red Thar.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-report.html
Old 11th October 2012, 23:45   #169
BHPian

Hi,

Am looking for rock sliders (LWB) to fit on my newly painted Bolero. Can you help me with some sources where I can find side steps/sliders made of bent pipes?
Am in Bangalore. Any info will be much appreciated. I can also settle for Scorpio Getaway side steps, if they can be procured somewhere.

Oreen
Old 26th November 2012, 11:00   #170
Senior - BHPian

Now it can be shipped to your city a DIY, package, with a complete step by step CD that will show you how to, with set of required fasteners, clamps and silicone sealants.

The top fits on the factory holes provided, no further holes to be drilled.

Note: For the Thar's that are retaining their side facing rear seats, a higher rear panel has been designed for the required head clearance.

For Thar's with a front facing rear seat, the flat top at the height of the B pillar, featured in the earlier posts here, would be suitable.

There are four options/ configurations to chose from apart from the high and flat top:

1 Front panel (A-B pillar) and rear panel (B-C pillar) with full opening top panels.

2 Front closed and rear opening top panels.

3 Front opening and rear closed top panels.

4 Full closed top panels, no openings on the top on front and rear .

Side panels are common on all the above variants.

Contact Prabhu for details or queries on 0 98669 94455 or 0 92465 31989.
Regards,

The promo video of the Hyderabad hard Top.
fazalaliadil is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 17:03   #171
BANNED

hi Fazal,

In elevated type ,b pillar is not visible and non elevated type it is.Please explain why so.

B pillar visible type, seems to have threat of leakage in between..

Can we have a non elevated type with a single sheet on top and opening at rear alone , covering B pillar.

Air crack threats?.

Rattling?.

Rajith

Last edited by Rajith : 26th November 2012 at 17:07.
Old 26th November 2012, 21:47   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
hi Fazal,

In elevated type ,b pillar is not visible and non elevated type it is.Please explain why so.

B pillar visible type, seems to have threat of leakage in between..

Can we have a non elevated type with a single sheet on top and opening at rear alone , covering B pillar.

Air crack threats?.

Rattling?.

Rajith
Rajith,

Reason the elevated or raised HT has enveloped the B pillar, as the slope required for the raise needed to be aesthetic, or it would end up in a short and disproportionate slope.

The flatter HT where the B pillar is visible too does not have any air or water leaks as silicone sealants are used in between.

You can call Prabhu on the phone numbers provided in my earlier post, for the rest of your queries.
Regards,
Old 27th November 2012, 12:41   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Now it can be shipped to your city a DIY, package, with a complete step by step CD that will show you how to, with set of required fasteners, clamps and silicone sealants.

Hi Fazal sir,

Looks very neat and cute now! But just want to clear my doubt, till now i thought it is a removal HT like in Wrangler? But in the video, I can c they are applying silicon in some areas to fix it that is why am asking you.

regards,
sadiq.
Old 27th November 2012, 16:28   #174
BHPian

a question, making a copy of the italian hard top. is this possible ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ar-crde-6.html
Old 27th November 2012, 17:37   #175
BHPian

Hi Fazal sir,

It looks fantastic if you change the rear end design like the Italian one.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-rear20view.jpg  

Old 27th November 2012, 22:47   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrajan View Post
a question, making a copy of the italian hard top. is this possible ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ar-crde-6.html
pvrajvan,

What is not possible?

The costing will be huge though, for one piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Hi Fazal sir,

It looks fantastic if you change the rear end design like the Italian one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Hi Fazal sir,

Looks very neat and cute now! But just want to clear my doubt, till now i thought it is a removal HT like in Wrangler? But in the video, I can c they are applying silicon in some areas to fix it that is why am asking you.

regards,
sadiq.
Sadiq,

Anymore changes will take the manufacturer back to the stone ages. Already a lot has been done on this, appreciate his perseverance and patience. It is a world class product now.

As for your other query, Thar is not designed for a HT at all, the removable kind by Wrangler has to be designed at the prototype stage of the Jeep itself, on which fits the HT.

No, this is not a 'weekend remove and fit' kind of HT for the above reasons.

The silicone is used to eliminate, heat, air and water leaks if any.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 23:48   #177
BHPian

Had installed first version of HT and changed it to the new version. I wanted to increase the height and other minor niggles. Prabhu was kind to do upgrade it. some pics and observations
1. Quality has improved significantly. Finish is smooth and has gloss.
2. Height is better than soft top levels, quite comfy since am loathe to remove side seats
3. HT comes with top backlight, though have not fixed it yet.
4. Tailgate glass door has better hold mechanism than previous version. Though no lock to prevent it from opening up as tail gate opens, so still need to juggle with hands.

The upgrade is very good, had drove down to get it done at Hyderabad, so have no experience of getting it fixed locally.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-img2012120300083.jpg  

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-img2012120300093.jpg  

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-img2012120300088.jpg  

vnambiar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 14:34   #178
BHPian

Hi,

I have finally managed to install the hard-top on my Thar, proud to say that this is the first unit that Prabhu shipped flat packed all the way to Mohali (at Zorawar's garage).

There were a few niggles and slight adjustments that needed to be made, probably because each Thar body is slightly different from the other, making a perfect fit for all the fibre panels difficult, but nothing that could not be fixed.

Besides the hard-top installation other modifications were done such as

- A custom bull bar with the small Hella fog lamps
- Scorpio bucket seats for front with custom mounts
- Front seats moved to the rear with new mounts
- Seat padding at the rear
- Dr. Nano's Composite Fibre Leaf Springs for the rear suspension
- Alloy rims, the original tires have been retained
- New relays for the headlights, with the Osram 90-100W Off-Road lamps
- Custom mount for rear LED brake light (from the Jeep Wrangler)

The ride is now much improved for the rear passengers, the heater in the cold is very effective, and there's little external ambient sound. Driving in the hills of Himachal where I live, and the Thar being my sole vehicle, the upgrade to the Hard Top is really fantastic.

I expect to add another report after a month of wear and tear in cold winter season, and the experience with snowy conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-img_5800-copy.jpg  

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-img_5801.jpg  

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-img_5810.jpg  

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-img_5782.jpg  

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-img_5804.jpg  

HillyThar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 17:43   #179
BHPian

@hillythar

congrats on your great looking thar with the HHT. i am considering the same for my thar and its encouraging to see the results of a DIY kit.

i especially love the rear LED brake light. can you tell us where it can be sourced from?

i am also considering changing the seats on my thar as i find them to be lacking thigh support and comfort for long-haul journeys. can you please tell us if the scorpio seats (the ones with arm-rests) are ergonomically suited to the thar?

also regarding fitting the existing 2 front seats in the back, can you give a photograph of them from the front inside as they look quite high perched from outside....

thanks and regards.

Ar.Naved.
Old 7th January 2013, 09:37   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enveee View Post
@hillythar

congrats on your great looking thar with the HHT. i am considering the same for my thar and its encouraging to see the results of a DIY kit.

i especially love the rear LED brake light. can you tell us where it can be sourced from?

i am also considering changing the seats on my thar as i find them to be lacking thigh support and comfort for long-haul journeys. can you please tell us if the scorpio seats (the ones with arm-rests) are ergonomically suited to the thar?

also regarding fitting the existing 2 front seats in the back, can you give a photograph of them from the front inside as they look quite high perched from outside....

thanks and regards.

Ar.Naved.

Hi Naved,

Glad you liked the upgrades, the read LED is from the Jeep Wrangler and Zorwar from Performance Motorsports in Mohali had it in his shop, am sure if you ask around it can be sourced. Since it was designed as a tail light for the Jeep Wrangler we built a custom mount that was welded on the stepney. The light itself is amazingly bright, and functions as a good warning when braking, especially crucial in foggy conditions.

There was much wrangling on what to do for the rear seating, since we put the Scorpio seats with armrests in the front, and corrected for the off centre driving position in relation to the steering wheel, there was little room left for rear passengers to enter from the front. The Scorpio seats have good lumbar support and thigh support, and the arm rest is really helpful, though the gear might become difficult to reach for drivers with shorter reach, it works fine for me though.

Given the situation in the front, we decided to use the stock front seats and move them to the back, and there was enough space for passengers to comfortably enter from the rear door. The Hyderabad Hard top has the rear panel slightly raised, giving more head room than was there with the soft-top, making the decision easier.

However, the head room for the rear passengers is less ( but similar to the soft-top), and taller passengers need to recline the seat so they don't hit their heads on bumpy patches.

Measuring it, the distance from the top of the seat to the roof is 30 inches if sitting straight, and if one reclines its 34 inches, in comparison, the front seat has 38 inches if sitting straight.

Its a trade off and I shall monitor how it goes for the next few months, would need to work on another option otherwise! Am attaching some pictures to clarify.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-img_5838.jpg  

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-img_5799.jpg  

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-img_5809.jpg  

Hyderabad Hard Top (Thar)-img_5837.jpg  

HillyThar is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks