Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2010, 21:12   #946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
More like re-reading stuff i've read elsewhere.

I still don't support plagiarism. Please quote your source henceforth.
Sir, I havent copied and pasted content from any source to be mentioning sources and be booked by any layman for plagiarism, who profoundly doesnt seem to understand its legal meaning. Please prove me wrong by quoting just 'one' sentence from any of my posts that is copied and pasted from copyright protected source that you know of. Until you come up with it please pardon me for limiting myself from responding to your posts here on

Coming back to the constructive bit, I wanted to ask this question from a long time, are Simex tires available in India? Anyone? One of the Tbhpains told me during the last OTR that they are by far the best he has used in during his 4x4 competitions...

Is it time to invite companies like Simex on to our turf? If the demand is good I dont mind starting off by being a dealer myself

@Jaggu: : You are correct, gotta ensure correct sizes or else it will become like "Lene ke dene padjayenge"!!! LOL

Last edited by The Wolf : 29th July 2010 at 21:15.
Old 29th July 2010, 21:41   #947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Sir, I havent copied and pasted content from any source to be mentioning sources and be booked by any layman for plagiarism, who profoundly doesnt seem to understand its legal meaning. Please prove me wrong by quoting just 'one' sentence from any of my posts that is copied and pasted from copyright protected source that you know of. Until you come up with it please pardon me for limiting myself from responding to your posts here on
Whoa! Strong words here! Plagiarism broadly means distributing information and research done by others without giving them due acknowledgement which is not limited to only copyrighted stuff (i can quote a Wiki link here if you like ).

What i didn't understand is why you called me a layman regarding knowing the meaning of plagiarism?

FYI: I teach Masters students and part of the curriculum is thesis writing. Although i haven't won any national awards on my teaching skills, i am hopefully quite justified in using the term plagiarism. I hope thou mighty dragster builder and national record setter accepts my qualification to allege / accuse someone of plagiarism.

I don't have any inclination rereading your posts to find any matter, however, you yourself have said it as quoted below:

Quote:
I speak to people, verify from various sources (other forums/blogs/videos) then mention it in here
Even if you speak to people and take knowledge from them, it is customary behavior to give them due acknowledgement.
Old 30th July 2010, 06:49   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coming back to the constructive bit, I wanted to ask this question from a long time, are Simex tires available in India? Anyone? One of the Tbhpains told me during the last OTR that they are by far the best he has used in during his 4x4 competitions...

Is it time to invite companies like Simex on to our turf? If the demand is good I dont mind starting off by being a dealer myself
AFAIK, Simex tyres are NOT available in India. You gotta import them from SE Asia i'm told.

W.r.t the dealership, please start, by giving us the indicative patterns available to us and the cost per tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
FYI: I teach Masters students and part of the curriculum is thesis writing. Although i haven't won any national awards on my teaching skills, i am hopefully quite justified in using the term plagiarism. I hope thou mighty dragster builder and national record setter accepts my qualification to allege / accuse someone of plagiarism.
Tejas, what happenned next?

Rather, both you guys, CHILL. Lets move ON with the thread.
Old 30th July 2010, 08:08   #949
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Secondly, I have a 12ply, 7.00-16, 31.2'' NDMS, I dont think there is any AT/HT radial that has a stronger side wall than this one
I have a simple question. How does 7.00-16 NDMS become a 31.2" tyre? Shouldn't that be 30 inch, where is the extra 1.2 inch coming from?

I thought 6x16 = 28 inch, 7x16 = 30 inch and 7.5x16 = 31 inch.
Old 30th July 2010, 08:16   #950
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have a simple question. How does 7.00-16 NDMS become a 31.2" tyre? Shouldn't that be 30 inch, where is the extra 1.2 inch coming from?

Hello Wolf , Same Q + what is the make of that tyre & what is the ply rating ? It looks suitable for my Landy if it is 31+" high.

Yours Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 30th July 2010 at 08:17.
Old 30th July 2010, 10:55   #951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hey Sharath, I dont know where the 1.2inchs is coming from but Im sure its there coz I have measured it using a measuring tape plus the Superking website states the same. Pls find the website, check the OD for pattern 33 (795mm, +/-2%) and correct me if Im wrong.

Tyres for Commercial Vehicle,Light Commercial Vehicle Tyres,Vehicle Tyres Manufacturer

Also, the overall diameter for different brand 7.00-16 is different. I didnt know that myself till Arka once mentioned. Superking ones are bigger than the MRF and CEAT NDMSs previously available. I dont know if its got to do with some export specs. The 7.00-16 Super king I heard from the dealer sees 85% export and only 15% local consumption which includes the army.

Hope the above help...

@Sudarshan: Land Rover should look good and work better with around 33inch tires in my opinion.
Old 30th July 2010, 11:02   #952
Senior - BHPian

Contruction

Quote:

Hi Samurai,

That is the Mathematical Height, which is indicative.

Some Factors which effect actual height.

1) Height/Thickness of Belt/Tread when vulcanised.

2) Width of the Rim. & Section Width of the Tyres.

3) Weight of the Vehicle.

4) Air Pressure.

A general indication of the Height.
6.00X16 is normally 27.5 - 29"
7.00X15 = 28.5 - 30.5"
7.00X16 = 29.5 - 31.5"
7.50X16 = 30.5 - 32"

Regards,

Arka
Old 30th July 2010, 11:23   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Samurai,

That is the Mathematical Height, which is indicative.

1) Height/Thickness of Belt/Tread when vulcanised.

2) Width of the Rim. & Section Width of the Tyres.

3) Weight of the Vehicle.

4) Air Pressure.
Hi Arka,

2,3,4 are correct, however such high variation in tyre height due to vulcanization means severe manufacturing deficiencies. This is sometimes observed but really very rare.

Spike
Old 30th July 2010, 12:33   #954
Senior - BHPian

Aspect ratio conventions.

Quote:
...That is the Mathematical Height, which is indicative.

Let me add one more :

5) Manufacturer-induced variation : when the aspect ratio is not expilcitly mentioned, the default should be 82% (as per tyre industry conventions, someone pls confirm). Some manufacturers make the tyres to have a higher aspect ratio than 82%. I have seen Apollo tyres (on Tata 207DI) which look like more-than-90% aspect. They are very tall for 7.00/16.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 30th July 2010 at 12:34.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:40   #955
Team-BHP Support

Blue Thunder, I was assuming the aspect ratio of NDMS to be 100%, but Arka is implying it is much more.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:42   #956
Senior - BHPian

Deficiencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Hi Arka,

2,3,4 are correct, however such high variation in tyre height due to vulcanization means severe manufacturing deficiencies. This is sometimes observed but really very rare.

Spike
Hi Spike,

This could be result of manufacturing deficiencies, in case of smaller brands, what about established brands, like Yokohama, Michelin & MRF.

Also the Variation is from one brand to another, if the variation is in the same brand or same batch, that is a sure indication of something wrong.

Regards,

Arka
Old 30th July 2010, 14:17   #957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Spike,

Also the Variation is from one brand to another, if the variation is in the same brand or same batch, that is a sure indication of something wrong.
Yes, variation in a lot is understandable, but if this repeats then it is a cause of concern.

Spike
Old 30th July 2010, 14:25   #958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Blue Thunder, I was assuming the aspect ratio of NDMS to be 100%, but Arka is implying it is much more.
Some time back, I was trying to refresh my understanding of tyre aspect ratios; I realised that there is lot of seemingly conflicting info on the www.

So, I would not want to comment further...maybe we can do with some insider dope on this .

Anyway, there seems to be some consensus (in online info) that the 82% relates more to modern radials, and not older cross-ply conventions. Cross-ply tyres could have 100%. Please do have a look at the Apollo 7.00/16 tyres in a new 207DI : maybe it is an optical delusion but it will look like 100% (or more). Anything substantially more than 80% is supposed to have a negative effect on handling/cornering-ability in radials. In the cross-ply tyres, I guess the harder sidewalls compensate for this side-effect.
Old 30th July 2010, 17:35   #959
Senior - BHPian

I found an interesting read, here Classic Car Tires 101 | AUTOMOTIVE MILEPOSTS

This should help clear some bit of ambiguity.
Old 3rd August 2010, 17:29   #960
BHPian

Can I use Army Rims on a Major 4x4 with NDMS ? ( Major 4x4 comes with NDMS)

Rim size: 16" x 4.5" .
Tyres : 6.00 x 16, 8 PR

Last edited by sreejeshmp : 3rd August 2010 at 17:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks