Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2009, 11:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

Khan Bhai,

Good luck for your SPOA. Let's wait for the Indian Zuk in action soon.

You inspire us. I am going for powering up my gypsy with ISUZU 1800 cc MPFI and 6 speed gearbox. Will have the rig ready by month end hopefully.

Dwarak
Old 15th March 2009, 12:18   #32
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
You inspire us. I am going for powering up my gypsy with ISUZU 1800 cc MPFI and 6 speed gearbox. Will have the rig ready by month end hopefully.

Dwarak
Woah! The arms race is heating up!
good part is , every one wins here.

@khan- You are doing a lot to bring gypsy the recognition it deserves in our diesel mad country.

Old 15th March 2009, 12:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am going for powering up my gypsy with ISUZU 1800 cc MPFI and 6 speed gearbox. Will have the rig ready by month end hopefully.

Dwarak

Out of interest - why this engine specifically? Is it the availability or something else?
Old 15th March 2009, 12:40   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... I am going for powering up my gypsy with ISUZU 1800 cc MPFI and 6 speed gearbox....
You forgot to mention A/C sir. So you will have some great power and great A/C also while off-roading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
... why this engine specifically? Is it the availability or something else?
I think it was availability -- right engine at right time with right price with right parts ..
Old 15th March 2009, 15:54   #35
BHPian

Khan sir great lost weekend you planned this weekend the work already started great
just to join with you in your Camel trophy aspiration here are few things i have taken up in My MM 550 all are not radical as your ideas

Today i got the Composit fiber leaf,wednesday i am getting that Big Army 16" disc courtesy Trammway. Replacing JK Brute 4x4 to Either 7.50 x R16 NMDS are following you with Maxis all work will be finished by friday please plan a Recce,are a small OTR to test all this things.
Old 15th March 2009, 20:44   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Today i got the Composit fiber leaf,wednesday i am getting that Big Army 16" disc courtesy Trammway. Replacing JK Brute 4x4 to Either 7.50 x R16 NMDS are following you with Maxis all work will be finished by friday please plan a Recce,are a small OTR to test all this things.
Wow. Great news Vijay. If my Gypsy & your Jeep are back by Friday then lets do a small mini OTR somewhere nearby to test things out.
Old 15th March 2009, 22:12   #37
Sha
BHPian

Shanawaz I am going to suraksha tommorow evening or tuesday morning to check by brakes again, will check your Gypsy progress.
Old 15th March 2009, 22:40   #38
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Replacing JK Brute 4x4 to Either 7.50 x R16 NMDS are following you with Maxis all work will be finished by friday please plan a Recce,are a small OTR to test all this things.
Do not sell JK brute 4x4 tyres it requires for our trip.
Old 16th March 2009, 03:17   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Just to let you know, seeing this picture brings back memories. I own a Suzuki Samurai(not almost finished) and I learned driving on it. Good old days
Old 16th March 2009, 12:37   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Do not sell JK brute 4x4 tyres it requires for our trip.
Ok sha i am not going to sell them i will keep the tires along with disc that mean we can fix them to MG 413 are MM 550 we have to remove that olive green paint and go for Block are silver that matches with Green and white you can see how it looks in gypsy in your photos the DL registered Auto psyche made Gypsy having the same setup,
Old 16th March 2009, 15:37   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok folks, have been getting 'regular' updates over phone from Lokesh@suraksha about the progress so far.

All the structural work is complete and the Gypsy is on it's shoes (tyres) right now and the lift/stance is great. That's what Lokesh has told me so far.

The welding will start now and today late evening I will go and visit the garage to see the Gypsy for myself.
Old 16th March 2009, 15:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
and today late evening I will go and visit the garage to see the Gypsy for myself.
Please carry your camera. If you're not into that stuff, there are plenty of trigger-happy boys in Bangalore!

Interestingly, my truck here has gone back to stock height and I will be going there this evening to see it for myself too! Reason - ride height had been increased by the previous owner without any mods on the driveshafts, putting a lot of stress on the UJs and causing driveshaft kickback during our very unforgiving weekend drives where the rest of the gang suggested I go back to stock or work on the propshafts if I dont want to be towed out of the desert one of these days.

Last edited by Steeroid : 16th March 2009 at 15:45.
Old 16th March 2009, 16:09   #43
Senior - BHPian

Great going, Khan!

Now, say, do you also have a couple of steps built for entry / exit or do you plan to just climb?

I am sure this baby is going to be one of the first beau's that I will be checking out when I get back, on the very first day. Hope you are at base, at that time.
Old 16th March 2009, 16:41   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Please carry your camera. ..
Well, am not that camera savvy. Even my mobile doesn't have a camera. BUT will for sure remember to carry a camera and take pictures.

Quote:
.... putting a lot of stress on the UJs and causing driveshaft kickback during our very unforgiving weekend drives where the rest of the gang suggested I go back to stock or work on the propshafts ....
Yes. A lift will do that and needs to be addressed. Good that you taking 'preventive' actions for the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
....do you also have a couple of steps built for entry / exit or do you plan to just climb?...
he he.. The garage folks did say this to over the phone -- that one of the boys there talked about 'do we fabricate a ladder' to get in now
Old 16th March 2009, 20:06   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok, here is a picture of work done so far and how the Gypsy looks right now.

Gypsy on Steroids -- The SPoA Project.  EDIT: Stage-2 Started now..-img_1235.jpg

Here is a difference between the gypsy with SPUA & SPOA.
Gypsy on Steroids -- The SPoA Project.  EDIT: Stage-2 Started now..-comparision.jpg

Lots of small small but very very important work still left.

Needless to say, am very very happy with the work so far and how the Gypsy is shaping up.

Oh, and yes, this is how the Gypsy looked some 7-8 months ago

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th March 2009 at 20:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks