Team-BHP - New 4X4 project
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   New 4X4 project (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/98071-new-4x4-project-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhkris (Post 2311752)
Hi Jyobeb,
All the best for the restoration.
Is the Safari you have procured a 4 WD? What is the Engine, GB, TC(if present) condition?

Thanks! All in running condition. I can give you details of the breaker if you want.
Quote:

Originally Posted by slalom (Post 2311776)
Hi Jyobeb !
Looks like a great endeavor , hope it turns out to be a phenomenal machine .
All the best !

Thanks again. Hope so too!

After seeing the mods that you have done on the MM540, I am sure that the outcome is going to be something magnificent. Its going to be one of a kind machine. :thumbs up
From where did you source the Willys station wagon? I remember, in the late 80s, during my schooling days at ooty, there were a handful of them there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVR (Post 2310762)
This is something I am really looking forward to. Couple of things though:

1) I remember some discussion about Tata guys not wanting to use this chassis for a 200 bhp engine that they were working on primarily because the dynamics of the chassis and its handling would deteriorate significantly. 2) Am also assuming that they worked a bit on the chassis when they moved from TCIC (90/190) to Dicor (115+/320+) to handle the additional power and torque. Do you think you'll need to look up a Dicor to check for any enhancements?
3) What are the specs on the Nissan 4.2L?

Looking forward to updates!

Cheers,
Adi

I do not plan to convert the vehicle into a highway cruiser, though I will want a vehicle reliable enough to hit the high ways at good speeds, on the way to an OTR.
I will check on all the strengthening done on the new Dicor chassis. Thanks. The Tata's were more worried about the power handling capacity of their gearbox if I am not mistaken.
I doubt I will find any engine churning out more than 150 bhp.
Do let me know if you have any ideas.

I need some help on the Safari's tech specs relevant to the front and rear diffs, options for suspension lift kits etc. All help will be appreciated.

Hey Beboy,

As mentioned in the thread below its a Dana44 at the rear. Some more info of your interest is found here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ntial-lsd.html

About a lift kit, I remember seeing a video on youtube and some more research led me to this website:

Tata Club Italia

Would help to use google translate for the above unless you can read Italian!

Cheers,
Adi

P.S. Do reach out to our fellow bhpian "Ignazio" from Italy. He is fairly conversant with specs and possibly mods.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jyobeb (Post 2312116)
I do not plan to convert the vehicle into a highway cruiser, though I will want a vehicle reliable enough to hit the high ways at good speeds, on the way to an OTR.
I will check on all the strengthening done on the new Dicor chassis. Thanks. The Tata's were more worried about the power handling capacity of their gearbox if I am not mistaken.
I doubt I will find any engine churning out more than 150 bhp.
Do let me know if you have any ideas.

Jyobeb, IIRC the nissan patrol 4.2 diesel is around 138bhp at 28kgm .

The landcruiser 4.2 d engine is a bit more powerful than the nissan.

I remember a certain person could help source the engine in a months time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenstein (Post 2312184)
Jyobeb, IIRC the nissan patrol 4.2 diesel is around 138bhp at 28kgm .

The landcruiser 4.2 d engine is a bit more powerful than the nissan.

I remember a certain person could help source the engine in a months time.

I would definitely appreciate any leads. Thanks man!

jyobeb,

Any plan for something like this ? actually I would like to build it once, when money and circumstance favors.

New 4X4 project-131_1008_08mopar_immortal_jeep_wrangler_jk_mopar_jeep_nukizer_715jeep_military_heritage-2.jpg

- Sreejesh

Interesting notion. I love the old Willys station wagon look.

You could mod Mahindra sheet metal (Marshall) to approximate it.

@jyobeb: Any proceedings on this project? What till now has been done and have you sourced the engine?

The Willys seems to be taking its own time coming! The Safari chassis and suspension is ready for the transplant!

Reminds my college project on seeing the bare chassis.
All the very best for your beast:thumbs up. Glued to this thread.

jyobeb,

Which is that front differential ? does Tata safari 4x4 front diffs comes like that ?stupid:
Can you post some detailed pics of the front diff fittings ??
- Sree

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreejeshmp (Post 2351420)
jyobeb,

Which is that front differential ? does Tata safari 4x4 front diffs comes like that ?stupid:
Can you post some detailed pics of the front diff fittings ??
- Sree

All OE! Tell me what angle picture you need exactly.

Thanks, RHS & LHS pics of the front suspension+diff mountings on chassis :).
- sree