Team-BHP - New 4X4 project
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Technical (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/)
-   -   New 4X4 project (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/98071-new-4x4-project.html)

I plan to start a new project based on Tata Safari underpinnings, a 56 Willys station Wagon and a Nissan 4.2L engine, soon!!
I need help finding an old model/ total loss safari 4WD vehicle. Any help would be appreciated.

HI Jyobeb, interesting project.

Why not use the Willys station wagon chassis itself?

Is this project going to be used for offroad or general touring + light offroad?

I will surely let you know if there is a vehicle in my sight.

I have absolutely no faith that the 56 chassis can handle the torque of the 4.2l engine and hence my search for a better base!:D Another option is a Pajero 2.8 chassis and underpinnings.!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jyobeb (Post 2278576)
I plan to start a new project based on Tata Safari underpinnings, a 56 Willys station Wagon and a Nissan 4.2L engine, soon!!
I need help finding an old model/ total loss safari 4WD vehicle. Any help would be appreciated.

Very interesting project. Just curious, what made you chose the Safari underpinnings?

And do you have to get any permission from the RTO etc for the 'new vehicle' you will be creating?

Ask no questions, get no lies!!!:D
For the first question, thw Safari chassis is very strong and the dynamics are ok. Secondly spares are available too.

why not a scorpio chassis for base?

they are available widely.

Scorpio is available but not in 4wd. That would be my first choice.

And the journey begins!

Thats a pretty beaten up safari. How much did you pay for it. I saw a slightly better one in my town go for 1.5L a few months ago.

It's actually not too bad. It's been neglected rather than abused. I picked up the underpinnings for about 50k.

This is something I am really looking forward to. Couple of things though:

1) I remember some discussion about Tata guys not wanting to use this chassis for a 200 bhp engine that they were working on primarily because the dynamics of the chassis and its handling would deteriorate significantly. 2) Am also assuming that they worked a bit on the chassis when they moved from TCIC (90/190) to Dicor (115+/320+) to handle the additional power and torque. Do you think you'll need to look up a Dicor to check for any enhancements?
3) What are the specs on the Nissan 4.2L?

Looking forward to updates!

Cheers,
Adi

Quote:

Originally Posted by jyobeb (Post 2310612)
I picked up the underpinnings for about 50k.

whats included in above amount?
chassis? engine+GB+TC? axles?

IMO the pick up looks better than station Wagon.:)

some pictures from my HDD.

The body and everything inside, the engine and gearbox are not part of the price. The pick up is actually a beauty but I don't:Frustrati know about screwing up the Willys body just for that!!!

Hi Jyobeb,
All the best for the restoration.
Is the Safari you have procured a 4 WD? What is the Engine, GB, TC(if present) condition?

Hi Jyobeb !
Looks like a great endeavor , hope it turns out to be a phenomenal machine .
All the best !