Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2014, 17:40   #511
Senior - BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Original Mahindra alloys are what comes as O/E in Scorpio. Same one fits Thar. Of course they are not manufactured by Mahindra but from a vendor.

The wheel nuts for this alloy wheel are different, longer bolts than the wheel nut for the steel rim. DB Sir has referred to this in detail earlier. Follow his advice. Refrain from aftermarket alloy wheels as the Thar has a low tolerence band on scrub radius.

A Mahindra dealer is not supposed to peddle aftermarket, non approved add ons, but many are doing it because marketing field control is weak.
Old 4th August 2014, 19:15   #512
Senior - BHPian

Roll cage

Have been in two minds about internal vs. external roll cages. Any suggestions on pros and cons of each?

Also, couple of pics from yesterdays OTR.

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20140803_073345-edited-copy.jpg

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20140803_073400-edited-copy.jpg

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20140803_073433-edited-copy.jpg

And this is from after I got home ..

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-20140803_093341-copy-copy.jpg
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 11:29   #513
Senior - BHPian

I am going through many different posts and could make out that the stock front bumper of Thar can be modified by adding a stinger attached to a steel/ iron plate base. but is it sturdy enough?
Old 19th August 2014, 12:34   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Original Mahindra alloys are what comes as O/E in Scorpio. Same one fits Thar. Of course they are not manufactured by Mahindra but from a vendor.

The wheel nuts for this alloy wheel are different, longer bolts than the wheel nut for the steel rim. DB Sir has referred to this in detail earlier. Follow his advice. Refrain from aftermarket alloy wheels as the Thar has a low tolerence band on scrub radius.

A Mahindra dealer is not supposed to peddle aftermarket, non approved add ons, but many are doing it because marketing field control is weak.
would it be possible for you to PM the name of the vendor who makes the Scorpio o/e alloys.?
Old 19th August 2014, 13:31   #515
Senior - BHPian

It is made in india itself I know only that much, all Mahindra dealerships stock them. DB Sir or Vinod Nookla may give you the vendors name must be somewhere in Nasik / Pune region.
Old 19th August 2014, 15:09   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is made in india itself I know only that much, all Mahindra dealerships stock them. DB Sir or Vinod Nookla may give you the vendors name must be somewhere in Nasik / Pune region.
Dear Shahidbhai - vendor is in India but he is not in Pune / Nasik region, he is far far away! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 19th August 2014, 21:56   #517
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shahidbhai - vendor is in India but he is not in Pune / Nasik region, he is far far away! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
As far as I know it's Synergy hyderbad
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 22:37   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Some people believed it is from Taiwan / China but I went to the stockyard behind Sterling motors Gurgaon showroom to the store in the PDI yard and loaded the alloy wheels in the Thar itself to take them to their workshop. While inside the store I inspected all the alloy wheel boxes.

The steel rims are stored in sterling auto facility at present. Looking to purchase four x 235/70/R16 tyres to gift them and the rims to a friend in Aligarh for his wagoneer Mitsubishi ex WHO Jeep. He is in poor financial state currently and would appreciate it. Anybody willing to donate me / sell me four old tyres to go on these rims ?
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:48   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad1329 View Post
If you are planning of retaining the front bumper then try installing a Stinger.. Vijay @ swastik fabs has done a neat job on them. check them out.

https://www.facebook.com/swastikfabs
for the facebookers.. thats the link above.
This is the only piece of information I have for retaining the existing bumper and adding a stinger to it. Is there any other way wherein I can weld a bull bar for Hella fog lamps on the stock bumper and from where I can procure one?

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 22nd August 2014 at 16:52.
Old 23rd August 2014, 07:03   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
This is the only piece of information I have for retaining the existing bumper and adding a stinger to it. Is there any other way wherein I can weld a bull bar for Hella fog lamps on the stock bumper and from where I can procure one?
Please check out my thread, 'Call of the Wild', I have done exactly that!
Old 23rd August 2014, 09:44   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Please check out my thread, 'Call of the Wild', I have done exactly that!
Ok. Got it. Is it a direct fitment on the existing bumper.
I need the one which has a black angular form on top of the bumper
Old 23rd August 2014, 21:37   #522
Senior - BHPian

Manveet - go for an internal roll cage. It is a better option in a number of ways. If you want elaboration on this issue it can be posted here.

Ensure it is of good material ( iron pipe ERW welded of proper gauge ) a rubber moulding on it would be better.

Modification jobs like these can be done at Mahindra ASC in Gurgaon a 12 bay facility has been dedicated to it.
Old 23rd August 2014, 22:45   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
Ok. Got it. Is it a direct fitment on the existing bumper.
I need the one which has a black angular form on top of the bumper
It is not a direct fit.
I have used a 2.5" MS Angle welded to the chassis on either side.

The two stalks (of the same cross-section) are welded perpendicular to the Angle, so that the fog lights are slightly above the bumper level.
This also allows you to re-mount the Mahindra (plastic) plate covering the MS angle.

With this arrangement, the focus of the light is good and as IO understand it also meets with the requirement of the law, wherein the fog lamps have to be mounted below the head light level
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 09:56   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Manveet - go for an internal roll cage. It is a better option in a number of ways. If you want elaboration on this issue it can be posted here.
Yes DF, please elaborate. This is important to me especially since after a lot of swinging both ways, I am finally leaning towards an external roll cage.

My primary objective is to comply with latest OTR safety guidelines of NIOC, etc. Also since I do not foresee any hard-core body crumpling scenarios, but more likely very low speed roll or tip-over situations (if at all) so am of the opinion that an external roll-cage would protect my body shell as well. Also, have heard stories of internal roll cages squeaking a lot (the screw-on types, not welded - since my HT is non-removable) in case of articulated situations).

An external RC would help me carry luggage on it with some light modifications at a later date - like an expedition vehicle of sorts, in case I plan on doing a Leh trip in the Thar vs. the Q7.
Old 25th August 2014, 02:53   #525
Senior - BHPian

Asthetics and actual crumple zone atablity in case of a roll where particularly ahead of the targa band just above the front driving seats.

For a properly designed roll cage the base bindings are much firmer on the floor plate of a vehicle often fastened with four bolts each. Post pictures of what you have in mind if pics are available for what you have narrowed down on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks