Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2007, 21:06   #91
Senior - BHPian

Spares

Being at this point a very limited production run, what do you think about spare parts? How are you going to get spares? This stops me cold from ordering what I think is a great machine.
Old 18th December 2007, 21:11   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Hard Top: 7.78 lakhs plux registration, insurance and tax (6% in Kerala).
That's quite a jump, that's like 9L in Karnataka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The technical specifications are pretty much what Samurai posted. Engine is rated at 75 bhp. The only correction is that the Ground Clearance is 235MM and not 210MM as stated in the first post.

Since the original engine was rated at 90BHP, I suspect they de-tuned the engine for millage and longevity which is what most buyer of Trax prefer.
It is not detuned, the 90HP was the previous mercedes engine, they don't offer that anymore.

Try the MRF sandgrip.
Old 18th December 2007, 21:27   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
@4x4addict

Why dont you go in for 7.5 R16 sand tyres, like the ones found on Army Jeeps?
I will also using it quite a bit on-road and off-road. The original Army tires with the block tread are not safe at high speeds. Hence, I would rather find an all-terrain tire, like the BF Goodrich TKO etc.
Old 18th December 2007, 21:37   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Being at this point a very limited production run, what do you think about spare parts? How are you going to get spares? This stops me cold from ordering what I think is a great machine.
Gurkha shares engine and lot other parts with Gama/Tempo-Traveller.
Old 18th December 2007, 21:40   #95
Senior - BHPian

Spares are easy,dan.
It should be easiest to find in Delhi which I believe is close enough for U to source from.
Don't sweat on it,yo!
Old 18th December 2007, 21:52   #96
BHPian

The Nissan Patrol 'JONGA' had 7.50x16 tyres as standard fitment. The vehicle never said no to any incline.
Maybe that was because of the tread pattern?!
I am sanguine of the fact that even Gurkha will be able to take all tasks with the chage of tyres.
To my mind the sand tyres which are on army jeeps(MM550) as standard fitment will serve the purpose and it will go well with the rugged look of the vehicle also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Gurkha shares engine and lot other parts with Gama/Tempo-Traveller.
The only things that has to be special ordered are that of the four-wheel drive system parts. Other than that parts are shared with the other Trax models.
Old 18th December 2007, 22:18   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
That's quite a jump, that's like 9L in Karnataka.

It is not detuned, the 90HP was the previous mercedes engine, they don't offer that anymore.

Try the MRF sandgrip.
Since current engine is based on the 90bhp OM616, I am hoping that it can be tweaked to increase the bhp.
Old 1st January 2008, 10:52   #98
BHPian

Does the Indian spec Gurkha have a galvanised body for rust protection like the export vehicles?
Old 1st January 2008, 12:52   #99
BHPian

amazing report there Samurai...extremely detailed...but one thing that bothered me isnt 76bhp pretty low for this huge a vehicle
Old 1st January 2008, 15:08   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Well, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The Mercedes G-wagen that was finally retired last year had a very blocky old fashioned look but the quality was good and it had a cult following. Something the new GL series cannot even dream of replicating. I feel Force should have just re-created the G-wagen rather than going for this design that people will instantly mistake for an old Sumo.
Mercedes didn't stop the production of G wagon , which is one of their Classic vehicles.

I have seen a lot of them in Dubai also in Auto show 2007 Nov Dubai. I have posted one image which I took.

GL class is altogether a different concept vehicle suitable for large families.

Last edited by Samurai : 1st January 2008 at 17:18. Reason: showing the image
Old 1st January 2008, 15:47   #101

samurai San

Great Post and Pictures of Gurkha, the dream vehicle of Indian off road lovers. Truly a great post
Old 1st January 2008, 23:00   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does the Indian spec Gurkha have a galvanised body for rust protection like the export vehicles?
Don't think so. The website says only this: Tough & Stylish pressed Steel body with electrophoretically dip painted for longer Body Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
amazing report there Samurai...extremely detailed...but one thing that bothered me isnt 76bhp pretty low for this huge a vehicle
It good enough for an off-roader, if you didn't know, even the Tempo Traveller Mini Bus (14 seater) uses the exact same engine with same output. Off-roaders basically need excellent torque at low rpm, the bhp is not that important.
Old 2nd January 2008, 13:05   #103
BHPian

Quote:
It good enough for an off-roader, if you didn't know, even the Tempo Traveller Mini Bus (14 seater) uses the exact same engine with same output. Off-roaders basically need excellent torque at low rpm, the bhp is not that important.
I definitely agree with you that in case of UVs and CVs torque is more important than bhp since you will need more traction and pulling power than acceleration. But what I was saying is that today most of the Lifestyle MUVs have a very high bhp rating and obviously very high torque figures.

Check the following figures of the original G wagen :-

Engine(s) 5.0L 296 hp (221 kW) V8 & 5.4L 469 hp (350 kW) supercharged V6

Last edited by sabret00the : 2nd January 2008 at 13:10.
Old 2nd January 2008, 13:21   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
I definitely agree with you that in case of UVs and CVs torque is more important than bhp since you will need more traction and pulling power than acceleration. But what I was saying is that today most of the Lifestyle MUVs have a very high bhp rating and obviously very high torque figures.

Check the following figures of the original G wagen :-

Engine(s) 5.0L 296 hp (221 kW) V8 & 5.4L 469 hp (350 kW) supercharged V6
Thats true. In better times, spartan versions of the the G were available with inline 5 diesels, 3 diff locks and winches. Now, the US market G wagons have essential off road kit like heated seats with memory, spoilers and side skirts. The AMG version is actually less capable off road than the V6 because of its tyres! Most of the modern lifestyle SUVs are rubbish compared to Jeep CJs, Toyota FJs, Nissan P60 etc. Its very difficult to find an honest 4x4 on the market these days.
Talking about power, the earliest Mahindra diesels had ~37HP.
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:01   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Talking about power, the earliest Mahindra diesels had ~37HP.
Sould I or ...well one thing is that they have come a long way from those 37bhp days

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks