Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 18:54   #286
Senior - BHPian

Today I got a call from my mechanic. "I thought you'd like to test drive the Jeep" he said "So what time would you like to come over?" he continued. I jumped from my office, picked up the Turbo Swift and shot straight to the garage. He was quite surprised to see me there in such a short while.

The Jeep was waiting there for me. Its new rear seat fitted perfectly behind the front seats. I wonder if its a bit too far behind?

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc08282-800x600.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc08285-800x600.jpg

I cranked the engine and the Hurricane roared into life in less than half a crank. The Amco A75T battery was bought a few days before, its a tractor battery as was adviced in a thread started by GTO. Sasta aur Tikau. It was approx 3500/- after discount i think.

The Amco A75T tractor battery.
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc08278-800x600.jpg

The Crank Of Life

Got behind the wheel and we drove away to the nearest gas station for a little top up.

It drove great, hardly the bumpy ride i was expecting. Jammed on the brakes a few times and it did not skid. The stop distance was also quite respectable. Was i expecting something to go wrong? There were very minor irritants like the wobbly steering wheel the grinding of the gears when getting it into first and a little here and there. Problems that will be sorted out now that the worst is finally over.

Getting new NDMS shoes for her tomorrow for sure, NDMS, Ive finally decided, as they look the part and this is not going to be my daily drive, not with the summers we have in Bombay, besides this is mostly my fun vehicle to take on OTRs so let it be so equipped. The steering was a peach to handle, Thanks to all who talked me out of the power steering disaster (UBSji, Behrambhai, Arka and everyone else). Im glad i stuck to your advice.

The wobbling is because of worn out tyres some retreaded and some not so theres a difference in height.

One thing i noticed, everywhere we drove from or into, there were curious glances, smiles on peoples faces, cars and bikers giving us the right of way and a smile with that, a few waves, some thumbs up signs and a lot of admiring glances. Its definitely got a presence. Almost everybody gives it a second and a third and fourth look even.

Its an Eye magnet. Drove into a gas station for a little fill. All hell broke loose. I have never received so much attention from the employees ever. There were six men on duty, all surrounding the CJ.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc08291-800x600.jpg

Some admiring it, some wondering why a diesel was so silent and when corrected, it was not a diesel but petrol, were shocked to know that a petrol engine even existed for a jeep. "Saab, Gypsy ka engine dala hai kya?" inquired one attendant.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc08292-800x600.jpg

Soon the fill was done and they all swarmed around the CJ with a request "Saab humara bhi ek photu le lo na, Jeep ke saath". Obviously I obliged and they thanked me. As i drove out ti was like a farewell, all six lined up waving out to me. I dont think anyone filling in Rs 500/- worth of ordinary petrol ever got so much attention or service.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc08294-800x600.jpg

I was getting late for an appointment so i drove back to the garage and let my mechanic park the Jeep back in its designated bay to receive the finishing touches.

Parking the CJ back

Notice how effortlessly the steering is being turned, even when its almost stationary. Beautiful!!

New plugs and plug wires are needed. An electronic fuel pump with a separate connection to be fitted. The plug wire holder to be fitted, Jeep to be tuned, the Gear grinding to be sorted out, side steps to be fitted, the dash switches to be relocated and then the roll bar and the top to be fitted. Gosh thats still a lot of work!!
Old 24th March 2010, 19:57   #287
Senior - BHPian

Gogi bhai, your Jeeps no. is MP09 you got it from Indore? Are jeeps available in Indore?

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 24th March 2010 at 20:00.
Old 24th March 2010, 19:59   #288
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Gogi Bhai. Amazing to know its finally reached this stage. Hope you had a great time.

The experience you had at the gas station tells it all about whats the difference between any vehicle and a JEEP. Cheeros
Old 24th March 2010, 20:03   #289
Senior - BHPian

@gogi

great to finally see the jeep up an running!!!
And I wouldn't worry about the initial niggles. That is part of the jeep ownership the only thing that you need is a good workshop, basically a guy who understands jeeps especially the petrols!!!
Old 24th March 2010, 20:04   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Gogi! Looking good! Try to get work done fast. This weekend is a full moon and we are doing a night OTR with camping!

EDIT:

Spike, MP is a huuuuuge jeep market.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 24th March 2010 at 20:09. Reason: see edit
Old 24th March 2010, 20:25   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Spike, MP is a huuuuuge jeep market.
Thats news to me, being from Bhopal, i never knew this. Although i have seen plenty of Jeeps in Bhopal. Thanks for the info.
Old 24th March 2010, 20:28   #292
BHPian

V-16,
Been a lurker on this thread since the beginning waiting to see what the RCL turned out like. Well, she turned out amazing! Love the seats! Any pics of the soft top coming?

Congratulations, and hope she goes as good as she looks.

Cheers
Rahul
Old 24th March 2010, 20:29   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Gogi bhai, your Jeeps no. is MP09 you got it from Indore? Are jeeps available in Indore?

Spike
Well Tejas is right, MP is a big Jeep market and my eep is registered by the previous owner who bought it. Im guessing it he bought it in Bhopal or Kanpur. It was registered when i bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Congrats Gogi Bhai. Amazing to know its finally reached this stage. Hope you had a great time.

The experience you had at the gas station tells it all about whats the difference between any vehicle and a JEEP. Cheeros
Yes i had a great time. The whole experience is better than driving my SL with the top down.

Quote:
Congrats Gogi! Looking good! Try to get work done fast. This weekend is a full moon and we are doing a night OTR with camping!
If its not done, im just gonna hop in with you as a passenger Now where did i put my sleeping bag and mosquito repellant????!!

Thanks Harjeev. I think this guy is good. His first attempt at jeeps is come out great.

Last edited by V-16 : 24th March 2010 at 20:31.
Old 24th March 2010, 20:37   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Why don't add headlight grills as well?

Will look awesome! Atlas has them.

BTW, your towing rope has come.

If you wanna come on saturday night, you can always ride with me!
Attached Thumbnails
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-mahindratrainhood.jpg.jpeg  

Old 24th March 2010, 20:56   #295
Senior - BHPian

Cant come on Saturday night Tejas. Have to go for a function. Next time for sure. Ill pick up the rope whenever convenient to you. I know a shop which has great camping gear. Will take you to him next time you're here.
Old 24th March 2010, 21:30   #296
Team-BHP Support

Gogi bhai, she is sounding and driving superb! What's this grinding gear, is it when you engage any gear? and is it really hard or a minor clash?
Old 24th March 2010, 21:46   #297
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Gogi, finally the Jeep comes back to life. It looks great, almost new out of factory. It has been what, almost 22 months since you got it. One of the longest Jeep restoration saga. But the wait is worth the result.
Old 24th March 2010, 21:50   #298
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Gogi Bhai,
Your & your mechani's Hard work has finally pad off. i just love this color. Go for a smal OTR and you will love this vehicle more.
Iam coming to Mumbai next month, hope to see you & your vehicle.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 24th March 2010, 22:32   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
V-16,
Been a lurker on this thread since the beginning waiting to see what the RCL turned out like. Well, she turned out amazing! Love the seats! Any pics of the soft top coming?

Congratulations, and hope she goes as good as she looks.
Cheers
Rahul
Thanks Rahul. The more i drove it the more i think it needs the roll bar and seat belts. The roll bar is available from the Jeep shop at Bombay where me ans Tejas get most of our stuff. That will go on once i get all the niggles sorted out.

The rear seats were worth 3500/- less the rexine i gave him for a perfect match, he reduced around RS300/- for that. I gave him 1.5 meters of rexine. Although i would have liked a plywood back, theres nothing there now so will have to get that corrected else it will tear easy. The wodden planks you see on either side will be padded with foam after i fit the roll cage,. Plan to fit the Military Radio and Ammo box around there somewhere.

Re the soft top, ill take a call when i get there. A military green canvas perhaps? Lets see. Will post pics of the bar when i get it.

Quote:
Why don't add headlight grills as well?
Sorry Tejas missed this question, it already has Headlamp grilles. Just have to plonk them on. You are right, they look great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Gogi bhai, she is sounding and driving superb! What's this grinding gear, is it when you engage any gear? and is it really hard or a minor clash?
Thanks Jaggu. Its a slight grind when engaging the first gear. I think maybe a clutch setting would rectify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Congrats Gogi, finally the Jeep comes back to life. It looks great, almost new out of factory. It has been what, almost 22 months since you got it. One of the longest Jeep restoration saga. But the wait is worth the result.
Thanks Sharat. Mostly my lazyness/preoccupation with other projects (all still under progress too), work, travel, blah, blah.
It has taken time but as you say, worth it. Now on driving lessons/techniques of the Jeep, will have to contact you soon.
Maybe someone (you- Hint Hint!!) can start a thread on that, on the dos and donts of Jeep driving on everyday travel and on OTRs. Would make very informative reading material. Could include tips on how not to overturn your Jeep during a normal city drive and also on an OTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Congratulations Gogi Bhai,
Your & your mechani's Hard work has finally pad off. i just love this color. Go for a smal OTR and you will love this vehicle more.
Iam coming to Mumbai next month, hope to see you & your vehicle.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Thanks Shubhendra. Will look forward to your much awaited visit. Keep an eye for when i fit the Radio you sent me. More like where.
Tips anyone?

PS: Just got a call from my mechanic. Apparantly a group of youngsters (Dudes) called on him to ask "Boss Jeep Bechneka hai Kya? Kitna?" He politely shooed them off and was sharing a hearty laugh with me while ago.

Last edited by V-16 : 24th March 2010 at 22:35. Reason: adding content
Old 24th March 2010, 22:38   #300
Team-BHP Support

Gogi first gear is non synchro in the 3 speed and slight crunch will happen, i would ignore it if the clutch is fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks