Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 14:14   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Regarding the open wires of the two meters (oil pressure and water temp) mounted below: Ask your electrician to pass them through a black plastic flexible pipe. It can then be easily clipped up on the inner part of the dash.
Old 27th February 2010, 09:22   #242
Senior - BHPian

Dont put a cover for the spare wheel. It was not a part of the standard fitment and the naked look is so much better.
Old 28th February 2010, 04:28   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Regarding the open wires of the two meters (oil pressure and water temp) mounted below: Ask your electrician to pass them through a black plastic flexible pipe. It can then be easily clipped up on the inner part of the dash.
Conveved to him, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Dont put a cover for the spare wheel. It was not a part of the standard fitment and the naked look is so much better.
Ok chief.

Today i asked him to get the Dark olive (matt) green seat rexine as is found in Best buses. After that will get canvas covers stitched and put them on.

Tried to locate a Petrol tank for a petrol jeep and its just not available. Atlas motors said they would have it for me in a week but when i returned to the garage, the existing tank was already cut open revealing tonnes of rust and dirt accumulated over the years.

It was being cleaned and will be painted inside out to prevent rust. Then will be welded together and fixed back. The jerry can was checked for leaks, leaks were located and repaired.

@-Tejas have asked him to get a can for you too and he says he might just get lucky soon. Ill keep you informed.

Pics tomorrow.
Old 28th February 2010, 14:32   #244
Senior - BHPian

Related pics to the above post.....

As the tank is being relieved of its rust....

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc08246-800x600.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc08247-800x600.jpg

The CJ waits for its crucial part to be fixed.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc08248-800x600.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-dsc08249-800x600.jpg
Old 1st March 2010, 00:27   #245
Senior - BHPian

The garage is sadly closed over the long weekend. due to Ekadashi, Eid-E-Milad and then Holi.
But one can still manage to get some small activity done if one has the will

Since most of the workers were going to be absent, i convinced my Mechanic to get the little things sorted out. The little switches on the dash were sorted out, the BO light switch is taken apart and being overhauled... it was not operating on one side. Some issues in the wiring were taken care of too and i was not happy with a rubber petrol pipe. I suggested we use a pipe with a metal casing as is done on the gas connections at home. Got that done too as you will see from the pictures.

The Dash

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-img00283201002271808.jpg

The Air Cleaner fixed-----still have to source the plate through which the plug wires travel neatly to the distributor. Now seen with the rubber petrol pipe.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-img00284201002271809.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-img00286201002271809.jpg

Cutout and fuses mounted on a thick, fiberglass plate. Looks neat, is see through and no excessive drilling on the firewall. Almost looks like mounted on the firewall itself.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-img00285201002271809.jpg

The rubber petrol pipe seen above changed to the metal encased Petrol pipe

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-img00292201003011654.jpg
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-img00293201003011654.jpg

Tuesday morning, she goes to Automech for an exhaust job. Should be done by the evening. The petrol tank is repaired. It will be welded with a brand new float device and level indicator and welded back in one piece by tomorrow evening.

Wednesday is the day for fixing seats and tuning. Should be able to get her out by Sunday.

Any suggestions as to where to house the number plates. On the front there is a usual place where the plate is mounted on one side of the bumper or in the centre of the bumper and on the rear, should one paint it on the two bumperettes or elsewhere?
Old 1st March 2010, 16:31   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Fresh WIP pics from a day before.

The Spare rim mounted. I read somewhere that there is a vibration which is resultant from this side mounting of the spare. I believe it is a simple block of wood mounted in between the body and the tyre. Can someone elaborate on this.

Attachment 291856

The jerry can holder mount. The can is being painted.

Attachment 291859
Attachment 291860

The reverse light placement cut out.

Attachment 291857
Attachment 291858
Attachment 291861
Attachment 291862

The handbrake cable

Attachment 291863
Hi Is the jeep being restored in a garage opposit Allied Ind Estate in Mahim there are good garages in that place and the work is done nicely only draw back is when they do gas welding they all use cheap CARBIDE POWDER to make gas instead of black factory made cylinder which is very expensive and is very strong in welding as compared to carbide gas.
Old 1st March 2010, 17:54   #247
BHPian

This is a really beautiful jeep! Would this be a short wheel base jeep?
Old 2nd March 2010, 01:44   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Hi Is the jeep being restored in a garage opposit Allied Ind Estate in Mahim there are good garages in that place and the work is done nicely only draw back is when they do gas welding they all use cheap CARBIDE POWDER to make gas instead of black factory made cylinder which is very expensive and is very strong in welding as compared to carbide gas.
Yes Veerji, you got it. Since you know the place so well, would like to meet you if you are in the vicinity next. Im there everyday. PM me when you would be coming. Ill be there even tomorrow around 12-12.15 noon for a short visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
This is a really beautiful jeep! Would this be a short wheel base jeep?
Thanks. Yes, this is a SWB.
Old 2nd March 2010, 02:27   #249
Senior - BHPian

One question gurus: Is there any difference in the gear ratios of my RCL CJ3B as compared to a normal military or civilian one? As i understand the T90 tranny in RCLs was modified. I want to know whether this is true and if yes, what is the difference specifically. Thanks in anticipation.
Old 7th March 2010, 15:16   #250
Senior - BHPian

No Answer to my question above???

While i was out of town for work, the Exhaust and silencer job (as OE) was done by Automech. The Jeep was delivered yesterday back to the garage where she undergoes some final nitty gritty fitting. Pics to follow soon.
Old 8th March 2010, 01:53   #251
BHPian

Hello Gogi,
Sorry for joining your thread so late.
Your RCL jeep has made excellent progress, and seems to be ready.

You have raised a very good question related to the 'extra power' in first and second gears of the T90 g/b. Actually there was no special modification done, rather the FC (forward control) payloader's T90s were used in the RCL jeeps.(Maybe they had a different number T xx, not sure).

The difference is in the top gear (input shaft) and the counter gear set.
In all jeeps we have 18 teeth top turning the 33 teeth counter, while yours is a 16 teeth top matched with a 35 teeth counter. Do the calculations and you will find the extra power delivered during 1st and 2nd. gear motions. The 3rd. remains 1:1 or direct drive, so the top speed is not altered.

One of our Jeep Thrills members Hemings has searched and found out that some early Willys CJ3Bs did have this gear setting and used 11/47 (4.27:1) tail crowns for faster cruising and comfortable city driving. Seems interesting.
One of us could try and update the results. I feel 15 inches rims would return better drivability for such a combination.

I am sending a three spoke steering wheel with complete horn kit and button for you with a Kingfisher Airlines staff, who will call you up soon.

Great jeep rebuilding, enjoy the slow 1st. and 2nd. gear speeds and zoom on top.
With you always,
yours............................. UBS
Old 8th March 2010, 03:30   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.B.Singh View Post
Hello Gogi,
Sorry for joining your thread so late.
Your RCL jeep has made excellent progress, and seems to be ready.

You have raised a very good question related to the 'extra power' in first and second gears of the T90 g/b. Actually there was no special modification done, rather the FC (forward control) payloader's T90s were used in the RCL jeeps.(Maybe they had a different number T xx, not sure).

The difference is in the top gear (input shaft) and the counter gear set.
In all jeeps we have 18 teeth top turning the 33 teeth counter, while yours is a 16 teeth top matched with a 35 teeth counter. Do the calculations and you will find the extra power delivered during 1st and 2nd. gear motions. The 3rd. remains 1:1 or direct drive, so the top speed is not altered.

One of our Jeep Thrills members Hemings has searched and found out that some early Willys CJ3Bs did have this gear setting and used 11/47 (4.27:1) tail crowns for faster cruising and comfortable city driving. Seems interesting.
One of us could try and update the results.
At last a reply and from THE MAN himself.

Thanks UBSji for a query that had troubled me from a while. I know i had changed the counter gear on my RCL, as that was damaged due to the water which had seeped in the transmission in the rains, before i got my hands on it. I dont remember off hand how many teeth it had but i have it documented somewhere on paper. I maintain records on my laptop but unfortunately since my hard disk crashed a while ago, i have lost considerable and valuable data. Learnt a lesson and now keep a back up on an external HDD. Thanks for explaining.

Quote:
I am sending a three spoke steering wheel with complete horn kit and button for you with a Kingfisher Airlines staff, who will call you up soon.

Great jeep rebuilding, enjoy the slow 1st. and 2nd. gear speeds and zoom on top.
With you always,
yours............................. UBS
Wow , thanks sir, so very much. Ill await the call and let you know when i get it. Thanks again!!
Old 8th March 2010, 05:00   #253
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for tyres to put on the original rims. I have certain queries and doubts which i would like cleared. My objective is to drive the Jeep around in the city as well as for OTRs.

1) Which tyre type to use? I have been advised to use the NDMS but have been told that they have horrible grip and NVH levels in normal tarmac and cement roads.

2) What size do i put on and of what company, i.e.. which are the sizes available and which ones should i put? I have been reading that NDMS are made only by MRF and that too in the 6:00-16 size. Can i get a wider and taller tyre than this?

3) What is 6:00-16 in normal tyre size?

4) Will i get a non tube NDMS? If i do can i put it on the original rims?

5) I have seen on the Birla and Ceat tyre site that they have some tyres which look to me as NDMS but are called something else.

6) Are better NDMS tye tyres available which will offer better grip than the ones available both on road as well as for the OTR driving, eg tractor/trailer tyres shownonthe websites?

7) What are the prices of these tyres? Today someone offered me MRF ndms 6:00-16s for 4500/- each. i think thats way over what they should be priced. Am i right?

8) Should i invest in free wheeling hubs?

i dont want anyheart attacks on the road in city driving as well as during OTRs. I want the reliability and similar traction of the NDMS while off roading as well as duriing city driving.

Gurus, bring the advice

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 8th March 2010, 12:10   #254
Senior - BHPian

Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I am looking for tyres to put on the original rims. I have certain queries and doubts which i would like cleared. My objective is to drive the Jeep around in the city as well as for OTRs.

1) Which tyre type to use? I have been advised to use the NDMS but have been told that they have horrible grip and NVH levels in normal tarmac and cement roads.

2) What size do i put on and of what company, i.e.. which are the sizes available and which ones should i put? I have been reading that NDMS are made only by MRF and that too in the 6:00-16 size. Can i get a wider and taller tyre than this?

3) What is 6:00-16 in normal tyre size?

4) Will i get a non tube NDMS? If i do can i put it on the original rims?

5) I have seen on the Birla and Ceat tyre site that they have some tyres which look to me as NDMS but are called something else.

6) Are better NDMS tye tyres available which will offer better grip than the ones available both on road as well as for the OTR driving, eg tractor/trailer tyres shownonthe websites?

7) What are the prices of these tyres? Today someone offered me MRF ndms 6:00-16s for 4500/- each. i think thats way over what they should be priced. Am i right?

8) Should i invest in free wheeling hubs?

i dont want anyheart attacks on the road in city driving as well as during OTRs. I want the reliability and similar traction of the NDMS while off roading as well as duriing city driving.
1) If you want stock look 7.00X16 or 6.00X16
other wise as Shahnawaz Khan puts it, The National MT Tyres; Maxxis Trepador 235/75/15 on Jeep FC 15" Rims 29"

3) 6.00X16 = 6.00X2 + 16 = 28"

6) R1/R2 and Agricultural treads are banned in International OTR competitions and meets, as they tear up the terrain.

8) Not if you own a Petrol Station, or have another JEEP carrying your petrol. It saves 10% Fuel improves cruising speed, reduces harshness, improves acceleration.

Regards,

Arka
Old 8th March 2010, 12:26   #255
Senior - BHPian

Gogi praa!! its looking awesome,congrats on the restoration,it took alot of time but the outcome is amazing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks