Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 23:27   #301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Gogi first gear is non synchro in the 3 speed and slight crunch will happen, i would ignore it if the clutch is fine.
All 1st, 2nd and 3rd are non synchro. The grind can be avoided by double clutching. Double clutching comes by practice. If you are not able to do it properly, you can damage the gearbox. Its in your hand

EDIT: oops not hand, leg.

Last edited by star_aqua : 24th March 2010 at 23:28.
Old 24th March 2010, 23:52   #302
Team-BHP Support

My bad, i didnt know all 3 were non synchro. Thanks for the tip star, back to ol school driving i guess. Its quite easy actually ie once you get used to it. Downshift is when one needs to be more careful, then again you rarely change gears in this jeep
Old 25th March 2010, 08:56   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Gogi - Congratulations. I love the colour, it suits the Jeep. Now drive it around a little and let's see how it behaves. Please get the 4WD high / low engagement checked out also. In the 3 speed gearbox, only first gear is sliding mesh (spur gear). Second and third gears are synchromesh (helical gears). The shifting technique, especially for first and reverse gears is "slow and steady". Press the clutch pedal, the first 25 mm should be free travel, then the force variation should be comfortable to the foot. Select the LH gate, slot the lever into first gear, the throw is quite long as lever ratio is high, therefore the time from "start to end of engagement" in first gear is more as compared to modern cars, this coupled with sliding mesh gear gives an uncomfortable feel of crashing. I will drive your car and determine the exact cause if any. Please tell your technician to ensure that the clutch pedal is free on its fulcrum, the clutch cross shaft is properly lubricated at the ball studs on the transmission / chassis and the free travel is correctly set. Clutch pedal return spring must also be fitted properly. Second gear and third gear engagement throw is quite less when you compare to first gear and reverse gear, so it is a matter of getting used to it. The original 3 speed gear lever knob has a pancake shape, which helps in this "slow and steady" shift operation. Do not change the knob. Once you get the technique, it is sheer delight.

The whole vehicle is so simple, there is nothing to go wrong. Just don't get misguided, that's all. See how the steering is sorted out. Use 6.00*16 tyres. The vehicle will behave itself.

Believe you me, if you get bitten all the way and I hope you do, you will use only Jeeps, not even your Mercedes cars. I do not have place to keep them, otherwise I would have bought lots of them.

Best of luck and best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 25th March 2010, 09:33   #304
BHPian

V-16,
Regarding mounting of the military radio, it has been mounted at the rear right corner on Abhishek's jeep, although why its really necessary to mount it beats me.
Was just looking at a few pics of the jeeps and realised that there's a slight difference in the angle of the windscreen, between his and your jeep. Your windscreen seems to be tending more towards vertical.

Compare the first pic in your post #286 to the attached pic. just for info's is this just me, camera angle, or RCL modification?

Cheers
Rahul
Attached Images

Old 25th March 2010, 09:37   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Exactly. Only first gear and reverse are non synchro. Rest are synchromesh. I was wondering if I had gotten it wrong, since I used a 3 spd for the last 5 years now.
Old 25th March 2010, 10:38   #306
Team-BHP Support

Ok that clears my doubt and brings me back to ground, am not that expert a jeep driver that i imagined myself to be, afterall as in expert with changing non synchro gears without krrrrr's.

@DB: so if there is any krr's from 2nd and 3rd should we check the synchronizers for wear, in my CJ3B the gear lever has to be pulled to the right side for a smooth shift to 2nd. If i go by the natural lever movement and the lever is lil to the center than extreme right it will do a krrrrrrrrr.
Old 25th March 2010, 11:19   #307
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu your gate clearances need to be checked, also a wear in the shift mechanism (rails, forks,dog teeths) may also result in notchy gear shifts.

Spike
Old 25th March 2010, 11:50   #308
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Spike, added to things to do list in the long run. Gear shift is super smooth, only thing for second a slight shove to the right is required to make it butter smooth and without krrr's.
Old 25th March 2010, 12:05   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Jaggu - for 3 speed gearbox, there is a spiral spring inside the top cover which houses the shifter mechanism. Two things happen. 99% chance is that technicians do not understand the reason for this spring and locate the gear shift lever incorrectly. What you need to do is to open the top cover, remove the gear shift lever, look for the projection of this spring and relocate the gear lever correctly (I forget which side but if you observe closely, you will see the rationality of this very simple & brilliant design). 1% chance is that the spring has broken in which case you locate a new one and fit it.

I learnt this in 1990 as a trainee in Kandivli plant when I faced a similar problem. Mr.P.Vincent who is my teacher and who worked in the R&D workshop at that time showed me this cause-effect case study. Vincent retired last year from R&D Nasik. Thank you Vincent. I miss you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

PS - the only correct method to achieve customer delight is to hit exactly where it matters to set the car right..
Old 27th March 2010, 00:10   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
V-16,
Regarding mounting of the military radio, it has been mounted at the rear right corner on Abhishek's jeep, although why its really necessary to mount it beats me.
Was just looking at a few pics of the jeeps and realised that there's a slight difference in the angle of the windscreen, between his and your jeep. Your windscreen seems to be tending more towards vertical.

Compare the first pic in your post #286 to the attached pic. just for info's is this just me, camera angle, or RCL modification?

Cheers
Rahul
Hmmmmm. It does look rather erect doesn't it? Something only Behrambhai and UBS can answer i guess. Guys....Help!!
Old 30th March 2010, 12:49   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hmmmmm. It does look rather erect doesn't it?...
Gogi,

Did some MS-paint work and I think what your jeep has, is unique to RCL. Better check with all Guru's to learn more on this military spec thing. The windshield on the RCL looks nearly 90', while on the CJ3B and my CJ340 looks 100 (approx). If true, then your jeep is truly 'unique'.

Santosh

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-1.jpg
Old 30th March 2010, 13:09   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Santosh - there is no difference in design inclination of the windshield of CL340 and RCL. The parts are exactly same except for the cut for the army gun. The design orientation of the toggle latches holding the windshield in place is also same.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 30th March 2010, 14:23   #313
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks Behram Sir for the clarification.
Old 30th March 2010, 17:34   #314
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Jaggu - for 3 speed gearbox, there is a spiral spring inside the top cover which houses the shifter mechanism.
Thank you. Am getting this done along with sorting the leak from the top of the gear box.
Old 30th March 2010, 20:19   #315
BHPian

Oh boy! A quick comparison of the "Before" and "After" pics, and svsantosh's post inspired a shoddy MS-Paint job of my own, revealing this:angles at both left and right sides of windscreen seem to have changed during tinkering? Windscreen seems warped resting on the bonnet in the first few pics itself.

Cheers
Rahul
Attached Thumbnails
A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-v16-jeep.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks