Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2010, 08:37   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Gogi - for offroading, you may like to stay with 6.00*16 Mud & Snow tyres. For highway driving, I will recommend P215/75R15 Bridgestone or JK Brute tubeless tyres only, fitted on Gypsy wheel rims which are suitable for tubeless tyres and also this size (section "J" and not "F"). I have used P215/75 on Gypsy wheel rims extensively in offroad situations and they have performed the job well. Final decision is of course yours. Lookswise, 6.00*16 looks very nice on the RCL.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 9th March 2010, 17:44   #257
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Guys for all the info. What tyres (tubeless) will fit on these rims? That means I have to invest in a set of Gypsy rims and tyres which have to be changed to suit the terrain i drive on. Please tell me guys, if all that is said about the infamous tendency of NDMS tyres, to skid while braking, loosing grip and so on, on normal roads as well as wet terrain, is true? Also what are the issues of using the NDMS tyres always. I have no idea so i would appreciate all the advice i can get. Also what should they cost as i have to go and get them in a day or two.

Will i get Lambda free wheeling hubs in Bombay?

Now further update:

The Engine and tappets have been set and the Jeep is silently idling away.... as silk.

The carb was acting up and we detected a play in the butterfly. Even with that, it was running smoothly. Luckily i had in stock a brand new carb which is now being put. The old carb goes in for refurbishing. I presume all will be well
Old 9th March 2010, 17:57   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Will i get Lambda free wheeling hubs in Bombay?
I paid 2700 for a pair in Aug-09. If you are quoted more than 3K in Mumbai, I can help you in buying and sending it by Reg post. It cant cost more than 300 for 1.5Kg to bby thru india post, I hope...

Tyres:
If you want to bring the Jeep asap on-road, go for the gypsy+radials for on-road perf. They may perform good on OTR's, but NDMS have a distinction for being less expensive and abuse-friendly. I have spoken to the company that makes 16*7" NDMS, they are quoting 3500~ per piece without tube. Sounds killer @ 17.5K for 5 very TALL tyres (OTR friendly). I will post details once I reach home/PC.
Old 9th March 2010, 20:00   #259
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Santosh. Ill ask around for the hubs and if i cant get them in Bombay, ill trouble you to send me the hubs.

Awaiting your tyre details

In another update i am being offered a electric winch...yes a winch, by someone who had imported a few and has one left (what luck) i dont know what make is but since he was contacted through a mutual friend, he has offered to give it to me at cost price. I was told approx 20K for a good quality winch. Ill have to check it out and then decide. Tomorrow is the day guys.

Last edited by V-16 : 9th March 2010 at 20:03. Reason: adding
Old 9th March 2010, 20:42   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Gogi - 6.00*16 M&S are terrible on road, fantastic off road and look period. If used on road.life is pathetically low. Therefore, go for P215/75R15 on gypsy wheels.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 9th March 2010, 20:44   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.... I was told approx 20K for a good quality winch. Ill have to check it out and then decide. ..
20K for a GOOD winch on a jeep? be careful sirji. Better not to have a winch than use a sub-standard winch.

A GOOD 8500 lbs load rating winch should cost ~45K upwards

EDIT: For tyres, go for 215/15 tyres on Gypsy Rims. I would say go for BFG A/T. the pattern will look killer on your jeep :-)

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th March 2010 at 20:45.
Old 9th March 2010, 20:45   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm planning to go for maxxis trepador on my jeep. Have been recommended by a lot of people.

Electric winch for 20K??? Damn cheap! How much is the tonnage? It should be atleast 8000pounds.

EDIT: Free Wheeling Hubs:

You can contact them directly and they will send it to you.

LAMDA COMPONENTS (P) LTD.
NO.B-101, VEERASANDRA INDL AREA, HOSUR ROAD, ELECTRONIC CITY,
Bangalore - 560100, Karnataka, India
Phone:91-80-27834118
Fax:91-80-27831078

MR. SUBAIAH

I also need a pair. We can get them together.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 9th March 2010 at 20:50. Reason: see edit
Old 9th March 2010, 21:29   #263
Senior - BHPian

what kind of tyre compound do NDMS use, hard or soft?, i feel it is soft as it wears away in normal/tarmac use

Spike
Old 10th March 2010, 11:47   #264
BHPian

I second that
The basic import cost of an 8500 is 35k to 38k depending on exchange rate. Add some handling, overheads and profit

Go for Warn or Ramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
20K for a GOOD winch on a jeep? be careful sirji. Better not to have a winch than use a sub-standard winch.

EDIT: For tyres, go for 215/15 tyres on Gypsy Rims. I would say go for BFG A/T. the pattern will look killer on your jeep :-)
Gogi

Prakash from Atlas has a contact in Matunga who is importing winches. You can check with him. You know Prakash right. I guess you got your carb form him

Ro

Quote:
Thanks Santosh. Ill ask around for the hubs and if i cant get them in Bombay, ill trouble you to send me the hubs.

In another update i am being offered a electric winch...yes a winch, by someone who had imported a few and has one left (what luck) i dont know what make is but since he was contacted through a mutual friend, he has offered to give it to me at cost price. I was told approx 20K for a good quality winch. Ill have to check it out and then decide. Tomorrow is the day guys.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th March 2010 at 12:00. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote instead, Thanks
Old 10th March 2010, 17:24   #265
BHPian

i have been using the ndms tyres on my jeep for almost 6 months with mostly on hard tarmac driving, i feel that at the speeds at which the 3b feels comfortable the ndms perform quite decently and never let me down. also the look factor. in nut shell i dont see a big reason to opt out of the ndms if your cruising speed is about 60 - 70 kmph .

dont the wider treads of the tyres make a difference to the steering handling and the steering coloum stress factor?
Old 10th March 2010, 17:54   #266
Senior - BHPian

Guys just came from the garage. The seat work is going on. Have selected a Creamish coloured rexine. Thought that military green would look good but on site, it looked ugh!!

I gave him a computer printout of the 4 Wheel Drive stencil that Willy's had on their tail gate.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-1956_cj3b_jefferson3.jpg

It never came on this model but since it lookd the part,i have asked him to get a radium sticker made, in black rather than have it painted.
In that case if i dont approve, i dont have to get stuck with it. I can just peel it off.

The new carb is running like a dream, and the jeep is almost silent. I feel i can hear a slight tappet click sometimes hence i would like to know what should be the ideal tappet clearance for both the inlet and the exhaust valves. Anything else i should look out for and know mechanically, before i get it out of the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Gogi - 6.00*16 M&S are terrible on road, fantastic off road and look period. If used on road.life is pathetically low. Therefore, go for P215/75R15 on gypsy wheels.
Thanks Behram Bhai, i will definitely consider this when i am putting the tyres. Actually im not going to be running the jeep on high speeds anyways and the NDMS look real good. Besides, ive been told that Ceat make an NDMS with treads in the contact patch, which is better than plain NDMS tyres. In that way i have better road grip than normal NDMS as well as the looks of an NDMS. What say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

Dont know about winches at all. I will go there get details, post here and then on the advice received, go for it. Anyways, if its gonna cost 45K ish, ill pass, would not want to spend that much on something i might nit be using so frequently. The 20k is an approximate price. He had winches which are in the range of 75K also, so i dont really know what the winch capacity is. Also he s a direct importer so the middleman commission would be cut off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I'm planning to go for maxxis trepador on my jeep. Have been recommended by a lot of people.

Electric winch for 20K??? Damn cheap! How much is the tonnage? It should be atleast 8000pounds.

EDIT: Free Wheeling Hubs:

You can contact them directly and they will send it to you.

LAMDA COMPONENTS (P) LTD.
NO.B-101, VEERASANDRA INDL AREA, HOSUR ROAD, ELECTRONIC CITY,
Bangalore - 560100, Karnataka, India
Phone:91-80-27834118
Fax:91-80-27831078

MR. SUBAIAH

I also need a pair. We can get them together.
Great, ill find out it its available here, else we shall order for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
I second that
The basic import cost of an 8500 is 35k to 38k depending on exchange rate. Add some handling, overheads and profit
Go for Warn or Ramsey

Gogi
Prakash from Atlas has a contact in Matunga who is importing winches. You. can check with him. You know Prakash right. I guess you got your carb form him

Ro
Right, i know him and yes he is the guy from who i bought my Carb and many other things too. Ill ask him. Thanks

Last edited by V-16 : 10th March 2010 at 18:13.
Old 10th March 2010, 19:14   #267
Senior - BHPian

I was thinking of investing in a set of Gypsy rims as Behrambhai and many others have suggested, with Radials for light OTRs and normal runs, where slush is not involved (will there ever be such and OTR?) and swap them with the NDMS when i would expect to encounter hard core mud and slush. One has to agree that NDMS tyres do impart the all important "Jeep" look to the vehicle.
On a little investigation, i found that there is a tyre available with MRF in 6:00-16 calledthe MRF Safari. It is an NDMS with a tread in the contact spot. Check it out.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-mrf-safari.jpg

Simillarly there is also a tyre available with Birla BT669 [JEEP TYRE] which is also available in the same size i.e. 6:00-16. Check this out too.

A Jeep At Last. Now What??!!-birla.jpg

Would any of these be a better bet than the Normal NDMS type?

MRF also makes a 9:00-16 for the FC trucks and the LAnd Rovers. Would this fit on to the rims of the CJ or would they be too tall/wide? Of course availability would be another issue.

Name:  ndms.jpg
Views: 2644
Size:  7.8 KB

I want to maintain the NDMS look and advantage when encountering mud and slush, as well as partly doing away the disadvantages of the NDMS on the tarmac. You will agree that it is painful to keep swapping rims.

Advice ...advice!!

Last edited by V-16 : 10th March 2010 at 19:17.
Old 10th March 2010, 19:56   #268
BHPian

Hi Gogi- Congratulations on your jeeps progress. Did you also have a look at Sandgrip.
I believe it has the balance of an offroad and onroad use tyre.
kavesh55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2010, 20:20   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Have you got the rear seats made? If not, then hold on. I have a very good idea for front facing rear seats with under storage.
Old 11th March 2010, 00:03   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1) As Tejas pointed out, if Lambda can send them to Bby direct, then its great for you. Else, i will be glad to help.

2) Tyre. See Attachment text file. The email chain ended abruptly, but with some more followup and some advance payment, one can end up with a 7*16" for well under 3K per tyre. The ~2K per 6*16" sounds damn cheap!! What are the MRF guys quoting for one 6*16"??

22.doc

Last edited by svsantosh : 11th March 2010 at 00:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks