Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2010, 14:23   #1381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
I somehow feel that the perch point (Box) is lower on THar than even the 2wd Bolero's.

Spike please confirm

p.s- I have done some extensive OTR's but my rear add on's have never touched the ground while departure. Why is this on Thar specially when we both are running same tires and rear overhang is same visibly as a MM540?
NO, it is not (perch). If the overhang at the rear had been more will the body shell end exactly at the rear cross member (place where the bumpers are mounted). Or has the body shell been stretched to accommodate this overhang. Crazy thoughts i must say.

Vinod, can you post relevant pics of your vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I also heard BD telling someone that the vehicle (Thar as you call it) has been running for a few years now. It is definitely not a very reliable indicator of what the final product will look like, feel like and go like. This is the general "messaging" I got from the guys who interacted with BD.
gsferrari, i am sorry, the info you have provided is badly construed.

Spike
Old 13th April 2010, 14:25   #1382
Senior - BHPian

Why is the rear leaf mount (Inner side) hanging so LOW. It would pose another risk while off roading, right? As such one has to take care (not to beach out due to) 4-U bolt points and 2 diffs. This will add 2 more to the list to watch out while OTR'ng.
Old 13th April 2010, 14:28   #1383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
H
Did you guys really see the difference on climbs and rough road handling?

Rough road handling is best. The suspension eats up the terrain like no other! Again on climbs, less run up required and can do it in 3rd low which jeeps do in 2nd low and gypsy in 1st low.

How often was CAT CON was touching the ground?

Not once. But, the terrain wasn't as rocky.

What was the lowest point that is prone to damage? IFS lower arms or CAT CON or the bumper?

Didn't notice. sorry.

Did the ramp over angle become a hindrance? Does it really look like 15 degree?

No hindrance. And didn't look like 15 degrees. I thought the angle was better than the gypsy, but i could be wrong.

Also, all this happened in a pit where even the Gypsy overhangs bottomed out.

Hi Tejas,

Thanks for your valuable inputs. Some of the things i would like to clarify just for your future verification-
  • A gypsy can match a 3B in terms of break over angle. MM540 or even Thar is no match here
  • A stock Indian gypsy stock has a poor departure angle. That's why so many chop jobs
Old 13th April 2010, 14:34   #1384
Senior - BHPian

Crazy kiya re:-)))

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
NO, it is not (perch). If the overhang at the rear had been more will the body shell end exactly at the rear cross member (place where the bumpers are mounted). Or has the body shell been stretched to accommodate this overhang. Crazy thoughts i must say.

Vinod, can you post relevant pics of your vehicle?

Spike
Spiky my friend,
I know some times i screw up with my fundamentals but not this bad yaar. I know the rear body has not been extended. My question was when every thing is same then why did it hit on ADD ON's on Thar where my MM540 gets away with it?

The perch point i meant was the box section (the fixed eye one). It is lower than the 2wd Bolero? I mean the distance between the eye to the chassis?

Please see the relevant pics of my vehicle. Both the OH's are same. Then why id it touch in Thar?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-thar-perch-point.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsc_0209.jpg  

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 13th April 2010 at 14:41.
Old 13th April 2010, 14:37   #1385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A gypsy can match a 3B in terms of break over angle. MM540 or even Thar is no match here
If you go back to the OTR thread where most of the vehicles were going up the river bank, i noticed quite a few gypsies scrape the ledge, whereas the jeeps went over comfortably. Just an observation during the OTR. I don't know the actual technical figures.

OT:

Read that you are shifting base to bombay. We could do with another jeeper here! Let me know if you need anything.
Old 13th April 2010, 14:46   #1386
Senior - BHPian

Amchi Mumbai

Quote:
OT:

Read that you are shifting base to bombay. We could do with another jeeper here! Let me know if you need anything.
OT
Thanks Tejas for your warm welcome!

Yes i am coming to your land read " papi pet ka sawal hai"! landed a job in Mumbai. You will see a thread on my jeep dilemma soon.

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 13th April 2010 at 15:06.
Old 13th April 2010, 15:04   #1387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...A gypsy can match a 3B in terms of break over angle. MM540 or even Thar is no match here...

are you sure, vinod_nookala ?

I think the stock 3B will have better ramp-break-over angle compared to a stock Gypsy.

When you are referring to "A gypsy can match a 3B in terms ...", and that "A gypsy" is referring to khan_sultan's Spidey, then I know it will be better than 3B ramp-break-over .

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 13th April 2010 at 15:06.
Old 14th April 2010, 13:48   #1388
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a video of the Thar going up a slope. I was driving her that time and you can see what i mean by bounce at the end of the slope. Then compare it with the hurricane jeep that goes up next.

Old 15th April 2010, 06:24   #1389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's a video of the Thar going up a slope. I was driving her that time and you can see what i mean by bounce at the end of the slope. Then compare it with the hurricane jeep that goes up next.

YouTube - thar hurricane
That bounce is bound to happen as front is IFS and maybe it is running a softer suspension setup too,
Old 15th April 2010, 11:01   #1390
Senior - BHPian

3B makes all look so simple!!

hahaha,
That 3B went up doing no drama!!It made it look so simple!! Wonder why isn't any one able to match the simplicity and graciousness of a 50 year old machine!!
Old 15th April 2010, 14:45   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post

are you sure, vinod_nookala ?

I think the stock 3B will have better ramp-break-over angle compared to a stock Gypsy..
If i am not wrong Gypsy's ramp over angle is about 31 degrees and 3B's 34 degrees. That's why i said A gypsy can match a 3B, if not equate:-))

Gypsy guys correct me if i am wrong.

@Dr.Mohan
What are your inputs on Thar against Gurkha? You must have driven Thar, how does it feel compared to a Gurkha? Your inputs )
Old 15th April 2010, 20:37   #1392
BHPian

Dear Behram Sir/Spike, the wait seems too long. Please shed some more light!

Some info on the indian version - seats configuration given its a 7 seater, availability of the roll bars, front grill mesh, winch, alloys, sports/winch bumpers and body handles as dealer fitments, colors, variants, launch date, canvas top design.

Also, if you could share with us if there are plans for the marketing team to offer a 4X4 packaged fittings with some of the essentials for offroading (Offroading Kits) at the dealers, option for alloys, better tyres in exchange at dealer etc.

Yikes!
Old 15th April 2010, 20:48   #1393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
Dear Behram Sir/Spike, the wait seems too long. Please shed some more light!
@yikes: looks like all light has been shed and there s no more coming, atleast from Spikey and BD sir.

The M&M mktg dept has to finalize the price and date of sale after which it one can share its merits and de-merits.

Until then, lets wait in silence
Old 15th April 2010, 21:03   #1394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@yikes: looks like all light has been shed and there s no more coming, atleast from Spikey and BD sir.

The M&M mktg dept has to finalize the price and date of sale after which it one can share its merits and de-merits.

Until then, lets wait in silence
Dear Headers, wait in silence, how much longer?
Old 16th April 2010, 02:28   #1395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
Dear Headers, wait in silence, how much longer?
Guess, we will have to wait till 2000th post.

Dear M&M, Where is the Thar??? are you waiting to launch it along with the world SUV o'what?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks