Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2010, 10:23   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Jaggu, Deepak and all – this is the detailed procedure for adapting an “Electronic Fuel Pump” into a petrol engine equipped CJ3B Jeep type vehicle.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir Behram,
A very detailed "Phase I" is the Bible of fuel routing on a Hurricane.
I too have been eagerly watching out for it and now saga continues for "Revelation-Phase II" .
Extremely helpful, Thank you.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 19th March 2010 at 10:24.
Old 19th March 2010, 10:43   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Jaggu no lap belt go for regular 3 point seat belt. Lap belt could create spinal complications if involved in a crash (god forbid).
This is a stop gap arrangement till seats and roll cage are sorted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Congrats. You are darn lucky to get hold of a Hurricane.
Love to say the color is fantastic. Are you planning for metallic/dull finish?

Need more WIP pics buddy.
Thanks, i was not planning to do anything but RTO forced me to. So right now this dull look stays.

I haven't got much time to spent in the garage so wip is limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanavar View Post
One down, 6 more DwArF's to go!

Dopey
Sorry Jaggu, coudn't resist!
From the looks of it its gonna be Dopey, he was acting like that when i took delivery. The remaining 6 are still at a debate phase with wifeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The set I got were meant for the Jeep and from a Mahindra parts dealer. I always ask them first, often you get loads of parts from Mahindra parts dealers simply by asking !

BTW I've kept the dwell and timing as per spec (ie 40 and 5) and not only does the car start on one tick there's loads of power. Do try to get a new TVS distributor with vacuum advance. The engine seems to respond perfectly to this distributor in terms of pickup
Plug wires were not available with my mechs contact, so need to check further. Yes planning to get hold of distributor assembly also. If you come to know of these parts please do let me know.
Old 19th March 2010, 12:18   #78
BANNED

Congrats on the Jeep. Awesome buy.

And it seems Raju has still not cleaned up his garage. He needs to get a better place then that dump (literally speaking).
Old 19th March 2010, 12:35   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Congrats on the Jeep. Awesome buy.

And it seems Raju has still not cleaned up his garage. He needs to get a better place then that dump (literally speaking).
DISAGREE!

Better place = higher prices = more maintenance of the place = less focus on our jeeps.

Sorry spit, I am not buying into that. His current place does the trick - with not even a place to sit/fan/light, he ensures you're right next to your jeep in the outdoors or you get out and leave him to do his job ;-)

Now dont run over to him and give him any ideas! Take your classic to one of them authorised service centers with the sterile environs, telly and air-conditioned rooms
Old 19th March 2010, 12:40   #80
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Spitie, yes i do agree it would be a better place if he has a proper set up. But unfortunately its not as easy as we term it to be.

Right now he is good at what he does and is ensuring that the quality of work is maintained and since mine is a 25 year old khattara jeep it wouldn't mind the dusty environment. ie As long as i give the jeep a nice bath after the workshop

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th March 2010 at 12:43.
Old 19th March 2010, 12:49   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Right now he is good at what he does and is ensuring that the quality of work is maintained...
Right Jaggu. To quote my case, a similar sized/maintained place inside BTM 2nd stage (resid place), charged me 100Rs just to get below the jeep and tighten 4 gearbox crossmember nuts!!! (I wouldnt have paid 25Rs in Hosur). I hope Raju isnt that expensive. Location of these garages in the city also goes a long way in the way they charge us.
Old 19th March 2010, 12:50   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
with not even a place to sit/fan/light, he ensures you're right next to your jeep in the outdoors or you get out and leave him to do his job ;-)
Ha ha ha ha.... now I know why he maintains(??) this place like that.

Quote:
But unfortunately its not as easy as we term it to be.
Yeah, i agree.

Its just that I took my wife along once to pick up the Jeep and.... Till then I hadn't noticed.
Old 19th March 2010, 13:07   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Right now he is good at what he does and is ensuring that the quality of work is maintained and since mine is a 25 year old khattara jeep it wouldn't mind the dusty environment. ie As long as i give the jeep a nice bath after the workshop
Or you can try the following, it works for Behram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
The first thing I do on meeting the technician who is going to attend to my vehicle is tell him to wash his hands and come, change his unfform and come, wash his face, dry it properly and come.
Old 19th March 2010, 13:17   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Or you can try the following, it works for Behram.
We will all then have to cart our jeeps to Behram's house and then make him do the same.
Old 19th March 2010, 15:24   #85
Team-BHP Support

Some lube quantity and quality info that i came across might be useful.

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Phot...tUniversal.gif

So as per this chart engine oil quantity is 3.8 Liters and 10W-40 or 50 should be good for our country.
Attached Thumbnails
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-chekchartuniversal.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th March 2010 at 15:26.
Old 21st March 2010, 00:48   #86
Team-BHP Support

Update

Went to the garage in the morning, i was prepared for a delay and thats exactly what i ordered. The front end work is complete, electricals including new fittings (head light, reverse lights, horns, switch gear etc) are done.

Was there when they opened the rear hub, it was completely jammed and the pads were soaked. As usual a complete clean up and replacement of pads and cylinder cups is in process. Drums will be phased and put back. Have asked to replace the axle oil seals also, since its been opened up. Also the differentials will be opened up, checked, cleaned and refilled with new oil.

Meanwhile i noticed that the work might get completed by today evening, but it will be a typical hurry burry stuff. So i insisted he takes more time and do it proper. Things like petrol tank cleaning (its filled with gunk), the new petrol line with flexi tube, i didnt approve though the routing was ok. Have decided to re-do it with proper steel braided hose. Return line is not in the plans for now, since i think that will be a project done with proper planning, and completed under my complete supervision. For now electronic pump will be connected via an additional switch.

Engine side, work is pending (valve setting, points change, timing, carb cleaning etc). Coolant reservoir tank is being fitted. Meanwhile the tail lights and black out lights have been repositioned to top to avoid damage.

I am thinking of relocating the jerry can and then moving the spare wheel mounts, so that it open downwards and the spare tyre sits in center? This will be done later on. Chucking out the round step thingie at the rear bumper as well as the side steps, both are not OTR friendly. Went and picked up the skid plates from the old garage, for gearbox and they are solid and heavy, hardly any scar on them (boy army boys sure do over engineer things).

So final instruction to the mech was to do it proper and do a long trial run and then call me. Meanwhile ill drop by on Tuesday evening to check progress. Hopefully by next weekend or before DwArF will be out for a trial OTR with me. Keeping fingers crossed.

Some pics to keep the interest alive.
Attached Thumbnails
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_0997.jpg  

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_0999.jpg  

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_1000.jpg  

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_1001.jpg  

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_1002.jpg  

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_1006.jpg  

Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-img_1007.jpg  

Old 21st March 2010, 00:59   #87
BHPian

Good progress of the works jaggu.
Btw which clear lens head lamps are those?

Cheers

Nishanth
Old 21st March 2010, 01:05   #88
Team-BHP Support

These are Autopal head lamps for new amby's if am not mistaken Rs 125 per piece Original ones had faded and started rusting, so decided to put in these. Nice beam pattern and throw also.
Old 21st March 2010, 01:09   #89
BHPian

Quote:
These are Autopal head lamps for new amby's if am not mistaken Rs 125 per piece Original ones had faded and started rusting, so decided to put in these. Nice beam pattern and throw also.
Rs125 a piece!wow. good for you. I bought original amby's HM spare headlamp assembly for my jeep costed me Rs 630 each!!

Last edited by hgnishanth : 21st March 2010 at 01:12.
Old 21st March 2010, 01:33   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnishanth View Post
Rs125 a piece!wow. good for you. I bought original amby's HM spare headlamp assembly for my jeep costed me Rs 630 each!!
Does that include ring, connector etc or just the reflector unit? This is just the reflector units and autopals always worked well for me, right from my RX 100 days, ok am not sure if its 125 or 160 bt 100% sure its withing 200 bucks per piece.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks