Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 00:35   #166
BHPian

Jaggu bhai.. Raju does the job, but not with the right tools and he does not keep the place clean.. for eg, he does not have an oil gun for replacing the oil in gearbox or diff. he uses a pipe and a funnel which will be filled up with dust. and he do not care to clean it.. you have to use different mech for different job.. don't hook onto one mech for all the needs. ofcourse you need to spend your time for it which you already doing.

For engine, A FIAT expert can be far better than anybody for your hurricane. There is one person, 70 year old, trained by FIAT mumbai in those days. He is very good at fiats and still he can work on request. He had done the job on my paddu only once and it newer visited any garage even if i start it after 6 months, it wil crank. Just pay him a visit and his son manages the workshop now. He will be also available often. let me know if you want to check out.

Last edited by star_aqua : 29th March 2010 at 00:52.
Old 29th March 2010, 01:40   #167
BHPian

Hello Mr Jaikrishnan (Jaggu),

thanks for your private message inviting me to see your beautiful Jeep CJ3B posted here at Team-Bhp 4X4 forum.

Can I say that a CJ3B does not need to be introduced as one with a Hurricane engine.

All CJ3Bs made since 1953 by Willys Overland, Willys Motors(Kaiser Jeep Corpn.) and then the Mahindras, came with the Hurricane F134 only.

I certainly remember you as we met during our JT Bangalore OTR early this year.

Just that we could not interact for more time. You have joined us about a fortnight back along with Nishanth and many more.

This thread is really long and would love to go through all the pages started since the "Ides of March". Can also post a few observations if allowed on the forum.

Coming down to your immediate problem of obtaining an exhaust valve spring or any other genuine Jeep parts required, can you have it collected from here by any friend traveling back from Calcutta? If not so, then sms me your complete postal address at 09330865035 or 09432362863, for immediate action through courier service.

If you and your mechanics have zeroed down to this faulty component, it is fine, otherwise an engine cylinder has many more reasons to miss out on complete combustion, and we can discuss that after you have fixed this issue.

In the last last page you have been asking if you need a return line for your gas tank. WHY?
No Willys or Ford Jeep ever came with a return line or electric pump.The fuel pump/carb. combination already has the safety features for this issue. One needs good components to enjoy a Jeep, as they have been doing uninterrupted service for over seventy long years under adverse military and civilian conditions. That is why it is called a JEEP.

One immediate shortcut to using an appropriate spring for the Hurricane is the pressure plate spring of the Ambassador. Hope the Gurus will not make an issue out of it? Just that experience speaks the truth. For inlet spring replace with Inter's pressure plate spring, and keep it a secret. BTW all world war II jeeps had a foot pump attached under the rear seat as a part of the tools kits. Can you now understand why?

Hope to see your mighty DWARF in good order soon.
With you always,
yours......................................... UBS
Old 29th March 2010, 08:08   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes sir, lesson learned! Now i know what to do and what all to carry And yes my worry is the same with diesel tank, though if things are not working with this tank, that will be the only immediate option.

Does diesel tank's have a return line also? Then its a minor good news to me

EDIT: Any idea if other cars like omni/ m800 tank would fit? If its new gen fiber ones its better! Need to take some dimensions!
Jaggu how about restoring your CJ3B fuel tank with POR15?

FUEL TANK REPAIR KIT-POR-15 Inc.

DIY Fuel Tank Restoration
Old 29th March 2010, 09:50   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
while i was stranded helpless on the side of the road.
You should have called me. Ok, now I need to by a tow rope and keep it in the car..
Old 29th March 2010, 10:05   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad to know you guys (and DwArF) had a great time. I feel that your Jeep is probably in the most optimal hands yet, with all the subject matter experts pitching in ! Yenjoy.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:24   #171
Senior - BHPian

Dip-Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
In your case, it is very clear - DO NOT WASTE TIME, EFFORT AND MONEY. YOU WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THE FUEL TANK. MAY GOD HELP YOU FIND ONE! If you don't get a petrol tank (the material of the petrol tank is terne plate which does not get deteriorated after coming in contact with petrol), as a last resort you may use a diesel tank (which is ordinary sheet metal), but be prepared for a maximum of 1 year of effective life only.

After you have changed the tank, cut this one open. You will be amazed at the amount of muck that will come out.
Hello DB Sir,

You forget about the 40lts Dip-Stick.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...t-dscn0223.jpg

That is an Important identifying feature of a true Ex-Military CJ3B.

@ Jaggu don't be in a hurry to get rid of the Tank. I have been fixing mine for the past five years and using it. Send yours to Chennai, and we'll fix it up. (ONLY its an Original Tank)

Regards,

Arka

PS - Spike will correct me with the BOM name of "Hand Held, Screwed On Petrol Tank Calibration Kit"
Old 29th March 2010, 10:36   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.B.Singh View Post
Hello Mr Jaikrishnan (Jaggu),

All CJ3Bs made since 1953 by Willys Overland, Willys Motors(Kaiser Jeep Corpn.) and then the Mahindras, came with the Hurricane F134 only.
Thank you for UBS Sir for stepping in to help Jaggu's DwarF.

Until I saw this.. for some wierd reason, I was thinking Mahindra made some CJ3B's with B275 International engines.

Quote:
One immediate shortcut to using an appropriate spring for the Hurricane is the pressure plate spring of the Ambassador. Hope the Gurus will not make an issue out of it? Just that experience speaks the truth. For inlet spring replace with Inter's pressure plate spring, and keep it a secret.
Yes sir, we all (the 58,442 bhpians) will keep this as a secret.
Thanks for the excellent tip.Will keep this in mind for my upcoming Hurricane rebuild project.

Quote:

BTW all world war II jeeps had a foot pump attached under the rear seat as a part of the tools kits. Can you now understand why?
I think I know the answer, But not sure about it. Please enlighten us Sir.

Quote:
Hope to see your mighty DWARF in good order soon.
With you always,
yours......................................... UBS
Love the way you end your mails and messages.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:40   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Jaggu bhai.. Raju does the job, but not with the right tools and he does not keep the place clean..
=========
He will be also available often. let me know if you want to check out.
Vijay i completely agree and i don't mind having multiple garage's to help me out with diff kind of work. Please PM me the details and ill get in touch with him.

Quote:
Coming down to your immediate problem of obtaining an exhaust valve spring or any other genuine Jeep parts required, can you have it collected from here by any friend traveling back from Calcutta? If not so, then sms me your complete postal address at 09330865035 or 09432362863, for immediate action through courier service.

If you and your mechanics have zeroed down to this faulty component, it is fine, otherwise an engine cylinder has many more reasons to miss out on complete combustion, and we can discuss that after you have fixed this issue.

In the last last page you have been asking if you need a return line for your gas tank. WHY?
Dear UBS,

Your help is much appreciated sir. I have sent an sms to you. Do let me know when i can talk to you.

Yes as you pointed out there can be many reason for a misfiring engine, but in this case obvious culprit my mech found was the valve spring. This was mentioned by the previous owner also, that he had to replace one of the spring but was not sure which one his mechanic had put in.

I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping the issue will be sorted out and damage (whatever) is minimal to the engine.

Regarding the return line, the reasoning for this was to have a proper working electrical pump connected to the vehicle. Since its an old school carb, it would get flooded if i don't have the same. But so far the OE pump seems to be holding well and never gave up. So as per the logical advice i will leave it connected and have the electrical pump only as a back up.

I will be calling the mech by evening and based on his diagnosis might go in for a new tank, diesel tank is the only option right now and i think ill have to take a chance with it

Looking forward to many interactions with you to learn about this beautiful machinery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Jaggu how about restoring your CJ3B fuel tank with POR15?

FUEL TANK REPAIR KIT-POR-15 Inc.

DIY Fuel Tank Restoration
Thanks Sankar, but unfortunately this is 25 year old tank and the damage unknown to me at this point of time. If its restorable will give this a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
You should have called me. Ok, now I need to by a tow rope and keep it in the car..
I thought i will let you catch up on the sleep and thats the only reason i didnt disturb you. But if mech was not able to help you and khan would have definitely got an SOS call lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Glad to know you guys (and DwArF) had a great time. I feel that your Jeep is probably in the most optimal hands yet, with all the subject matter experts pitching in ! Yenjoy.
Yup the amount of learning am getting is phenomenal. With the RD it was mostly self help, but with Jeep and Jeeper's it rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
@ Jaggu don't be in a hurry to get rid of the Tank. I have been fixing mine for the past five years and using it. Send yours to Chennai, and we'll fix it up. (ONLY its an Original Tank)

Regards,

Arka

PS - Spike will correct me with the BOM name of "Hand Held, Screwed On Petrol Tank Calibration Kit"
Thanks Arka will get in touch once i get the diagnosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Thank you for UBS Sir for stepping in to help Jaggu's DwarF.

Until I saw this.. for some wierd reason, I was thinking Mahindra made some CJ3B's with B275 International engines.

Yes sir, we all (the 58,442 bhpians) will keep this as a secret.
Thanks for the excellent tip.Will keep this in mind for my upcoming Hurricane rebuild project.

I think I know the answer, But not sure about it. Please enlighten us Sir.

Love the way you end your mails and messages.
+1 to this, and by my guess its for back up when the OE pump conks off due to the excess heat. I think (i forgot who asked yesterday) here is your answer, how america won the war with this jeep.

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th March 2010 at 10:44.
Old 29th March 2010, 10:44   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Arka Saar ! - Of course the original petrol tank has the dipstick with a brass knob with a flat calibrated stick jutting out which is now a collector's item. The dipstick is located on the front left side of the tank. How can I forget?

But this is a very good discussion. Let's see now. How many will remember exactly what is the difference between the clutch actuating mechanism of a CJ3BLHD and a CJ3BRHD?

Come on now, I am just a normal guy doing a normal job Saar!.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 29th March 2010, 11:04   #175
Senior - BHPian

Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
But this is a very good discussion. Let's see now. How many will remember exactly what is the difference between the clutch actuating mechanism of a CJ3BLHD and a CJ3BRHD?
STGH According to the "JEEP" Service Manual 1987, Chapter J (Clutch) page no.1, 2.

Regards,

Arka

PS - I'm an even more normal guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Got Jeep! CJ3B Hurricane.-f4134clutch.jpg  

Last edited by ex670c : 29th March 2010 at 11:12.
Old 29th March 2010, 19:08   #176
Team-BHP Support

Wok boys the tank canister is completely chocked so clean up and stuff is ruled out at this point of time. I have asked him to get a new diesel tank and continue for the time being. Meanwhile ill bug Arka to fix the OE tank if possible

Otherwise filters had done its job, no more gunk inside the pump's. Carb is being thoroughly cleaned though the insides are pretty much aok. Only the idle jet was clogged, mostly by the dislodged stuff from the mechanical pump, when we did the temporary fix.

Next is the gear box shifter assembly check as well as the leak issue, leak was seen on top so hopefully can be fixed without much difficulty.

Thank you guys for offering me with contacts for different garages, already received 2 references!
Old 31st March 2010, 10:43   #177
Team-BHP Support

Update!

I have been tied up with work, spoke to the mech in the morning and the woriginal diesel tank is being delivered in the morning. So that should sort out the fuel block issue for now.

Meanwhile he checked the gear box top assembly, it seems it has been fiddled around many times and there is some wear and tear due to this. He is trying to see if the shaft is available, if so replace it. The spring and the ball were intact though. The packing was missing and hence the box was leaking from there. That should also be fixed with this round of work.

Ill be going there during lunch time and will give further updates then.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:17   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Update!

Ill be going there during lunch time and will give further updates then.
Jaggu, Take an early lunch break man. Why do you want to wait till noon for lunch ? you can have lunch in the morning also.

Jokes apart..good to see the progress of your DwarF.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:34   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update!
Meanwhile he checked the gear box top assembly, it seems it has been fiddled around many times and there is some wear and tear due to this. He is trying to see if the shaft is available, if so replace it. The spring and the ball were intact though. The packing was missing and hence the box was leaking from there. That should also be fixed with this round of work.
Jaggu bhai, I suppose finally you have got hold of the leakage issue, the ball and spring (called as the poppet ball and detent spring) generally would have caused gear slippage. What are you planning to tackle the wear and tear issue?

Spike
Old 31st March 2010, 12:18   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Jaggu, Take an early lunch break man. Why do you want to wait till noon for lunch ? you can have lunch in the morning also.

Jokes apart..good to see the progress of your DwarF.
LOL you read my mind JC Planning to do an early lunch and head to the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Jaggu bhai, I suppose finally you have got hold of the leakage issue, the ball and spring (called as the poppet ball and detent spring) generally would have caused gear slippage. What are you planning to tackle the wear and tear issue?

Spike
Spikee's planning to replace the shift assembly if that is an option, before that i have to go and check in person what state the lever is.

UBS sir has already shipped a valve spring to me and has given some instructions on what all i need to check on gear box side. First and foremost figure out which model lever and assembly it is. Will be taking some snaps and posting up. I learned from UBS that there are many variations in this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks