Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2021, 16:55   #6496
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Question.
Looking for a decent pair of blu tooth earphones while cycling for music.
I plan to pair them with my phone and play music off the phone.
(mostly from the Spotify Premium App)

What I dont want.
- Headphones : As you cannot wear it with a helmet
- Earbuds : As they block out external sounds which is dangerous

Budget
Would be good if I can find one that is <= 6k INR

Open to what the others opinions are on the pros and cons of listening to music while cycling.

Also - is there anyone who ows a pair of Bone Conducting Blu tooth Earphones ?
The technology is totally different it is based on passing vibrations that get interpreted by your brain.

Last edited by Fillmore : 19th September 2021 at 16:59. Reason: added content
Old 19th September 2021, 17:06   #6497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
The technology is totally different it is based on passing vibrations that get interpreted by your brain.
No it's not.

Fun fact ... all hearing is through bone conduction.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 17:18   #6498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Question.
I use Galaxy Buds+ (and Jabra 65T prior to that) should fit in your budget. As for outside noise; till date I have been able to external noise/information easily. Plus it has an 'ambient sound' setting that can be customized across 3 levels to allow outside sounds in.

Some riders I know keep one earbud and ride to satisfy the external noise requirement.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 17:20   #6499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
No it's not.

Fun fact ... all hearing is through bone conduction.

Cheers, Doc
No Exactly .

Try placing a regular earphone outside your ear canal where the bone conducting headphone sits.. You will hear only 20% of the detail in the music.

Bone Conducting
Old 19th September 2021, 18:27   #6500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also - is there anyone who ows a pair of Bone Conducting Blu tooth Earphones ?
I use Trekz Titanium Bone Conducting Headphones. Bought it mainly to use while running but currently use it mainly for office calls. Since it doesn't cover the ears, it is comfortable for long usage.

It works wonderfully inside the gym or when running through quiet neighbourhoods, but if the ambient noise is high, you need to crank up the volume to be able to hear anything. So, it won't be suitable if you ride mainly on busy roads. You will not hear the music when any vehicle goes past you.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 20:57   #6501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Open to what the others opinions are on the pros and cons of listening to music while cycling.
Listening to music can be very soothing to relax your muscles and brain. I am no expert to propose you any particular brand, but whichever make you go for I would advise to listen to music while cycling only when you are riding in a controlled environment e.g. on a ground or garden with cycle track. Please don't listen to music while riding on public roads. Eyes and ears are your most important sense organs while on road. Your reflexes can be hugely impaired if there are any distractions to seeing or listening.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 22:48   #6502
BHPian

I own a hero lectro c8 and am looking for a good cycle under 40k for 30km daily running and the occasional 70-100km. Preferably a road bike with the bendy handlebars.
Have searched a bit , found the triban , it was not in stock anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img20210919081057.jpg  

twin-turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 23:24   #6503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post

Ladakh, as you know, is pretty demanding since any extra weight creates that much more strain when you're climbing miles and miles vertically.

Could be a good starting point for a robust tourer.

-Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Hey Doc! Are you seriously looking for steel road bikes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
P.S. Just using your earpiece post and quoting it to get your attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papr23 View Post
Same as for Ninja.
So I've put the word out on my mission tourer/beater drop bar gravel/bikepacking bike build rolling frame donor bike search to my friend circle, and immediately one of them pointed me to this one as a potential candidate.

It's a 2015-ish vintage Schnell Speed Rom. Steel. 18 gears. Old style steerer tube thumb shifters. Likely friction. Used to retail (per Flipkart and Choosemybicycle) for 12,500 bucks and the guy says he wants 9,000 for it.

This is what this model looks like (not the actual bike) -

Name:  images 9.jpeg
Views: 322
Size:  31.6 KB

Name:  images 10.jpeg
Views: 309
Size:  32.8 KB

Looks nice and racy (note the short head tube and compact rake) ... but Flipkart is showing its weight as 15.6 kilos (don't know how credible that data is, being Flipkart ...) But doesn't that seem to be too much? Considering my ACT is 13.5 kilos stock. But I like it's look for sure. 18.5 inch "Medium" frame (should not be a problem) that's said to be okay for any rider between 5'-5'10" (ha! talk about a big fit range).

Drop bar curve looks nice. Not like some of the grotesque 25.4 mm steel drop bars around. Alloy rims. Only thing is I think the rear hub is not a cassette freehub body but freewheel (obviously, considering there are only 6 cogs at the rear and the bike price range). Fork seems to be a bit too straight without any comfort curve. Rear triangle seems relaxed.

What so you guys think? Ya or nay?

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 19th September 2021 at 23:30.
Old 20th September 2021, 09:27   #6504
BHPian

Quote:
Question.

What I dont want.
- Earbuds : As they block out external sounds which is dangerous
I have been using Galaxy Earbuds. Needed it for attending important calls while going on long rides, I used to even miss calls sometimes prior to that. These earbuds has external noise cancellation and ambient sound features, can be adjusted to match your preference. Most important thing is, we can use one earbud at one time so the other ear is free completely, and we can stitch earpieces in between, if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I use Galaxy Buds+ (and Jabra 65T prior to that) should fit in your budget. As for outside noise; till date I have been able to external noise/information easily. Plus it has an 'ambient sound' setting that can be customized across 3 levels to allow outside sounds in.

Some riders I know keep one earbud and ride to satisfy the external noise requirement.
+ 1 for Galaxy earbuds.
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 09:27   #6505
Senior - BHPian

Found one more on OLX. Not a drop bar, but the frame is more in the classic steel brazed lugs mould of the old road frames and SLRs.

Hero .... 3000 bucks.

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20210920091642.png

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20210920091705.png

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20210920091655.png

Cheers, Doc
Old 20th September 2021, 09:39   #6506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Question.
I use Nothing Ear 1 and they do the job with both noise canceling as well as the transparency mode. For exactly 6k, i don't think anything else comes close, and I can use it however I want.

These things don't last too long with their tiny batteries, so it makes sense to buy the best economy version and then just keep upgrading every other year as technology gets better and better. It won't hurt as much.

These fit snug and will not fall out of your ears. Another slightly expensive option is the One Plus, but I wanted earbuds that connect automatically to my android phone when I plug them in, which unfortunately the one plus does not do.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 10:45   #6507
BHPian

Quote:
So I've put the word out on my mission ....

Looks nice and racy (note the short head tube and compact rake) ... but Flipkart is showing its weight as 15.6 kilos (don't know how credible that data is, being Flipkart ...) But doesn't that seem to be too much? Considering my ACT is 13.5 kilos stock. But I like it's look for sure. 18.5 inch "Medium" frame (should not be a problem) that's said to be okay for any rider between 5'-5'10" (ha! talk about a big fit range).

Drop bar curve looks nice. Not like some of the grotesque 25.4 mm steel drop bars around. Alloy rims. Only thing is I think the rear hub is not a cassette freehub body but freewheel (obviously, considering there are only 6 cogs at the rear and the bike price range). Fork seems to be a bit too straight without any comfort curve. Rear triangle seems relaxed.

What so you guys think? Ya or nay?

Cheers, Doc
The weight is definitely overstated. I would imagine not more than 12-13 kgs.

About straight forks, while on generally rumbling type road surfaces, the curved steel forks work beautifully. But recently, I got Praveen to build me a steel fixed gear bike on which I got him to give a very slack 70 degree head and a long long trail of 7.5 cm. Also, the fork legs are straight. While most of the resulting performance was expected, from holding the straight line well to being a little reluctant to turn sharply, one interesting benefit is how it climbs out of potholes. Compared to my other bicycles, it really glides out of the potholes.
prabuddhadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 11:26   #6508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
The weight is definitely overstated. I would imagine not more than 12-13 kgs.

About straight forks, while on generally rumbling type road surfaces, the curved steel forks work beautifully. But recently, I got Praveen to build me a steel fixed gear bike on which I got him to give a very slack 70 degree head and a long long trail of 7.5 cm. Also, the fork legs are straight. While most of the resulting performance was expected, from holding the straight line well to being a little reluctant to turn sharply, one interesting benefit is how it climbs out of potholes. Compared to my other bicycles, it really glides out of the potholes.
I saw your mist blue beauty. I'm following you on Strava now. Saw your name pop up on Boni's feed.

What about the Hero Hawk Nu Age photos I posted in the next post Prabuddha?

I just found that Bike Venky did a similar build around 10 years earlier.

https://bvcoaching.in/2011/06/my-her...-a-new-avatar/

Part 2

https://bvcoaching.in/2011/06/my-her...-new-avatar-2/

Cheers. Doc
Old 20th September 2021, 11:45   #6509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I use Nothing Ear 1 and they do the job with both noise canceling as well as the transparency mode. For exactly 6k, i don't think anything else comes close, and I can use it however I want.

OT: How is the noise cancellation of the microphone on these? Looking for something for office calls in noisy backgrounds.
Old 20th September 2021, 11:49   #6510
BHPian

Quote:
I saw your mist blue beauty. I'm following you on Strava now. Saw your name pop up on Boni's feed.

What about the Hero Hawk Nu Age photos I posted in the next post Prabuddha?

I just found that Bike Venky did a similar build around 10 years earlier.

https://bvcoaching.in/2011/06/my-her...-a-new-avatar/

Part 2

https://bvcoaching.in/2011/06/my-her...-new-avatar-2/

Cheers. Doc
Hey Thanks for the comments about the Mist.

Did you start following me today? I too have sent you a follow request.

Yes Venky did spruce up a Hero Hawk during our old Bikeszone days. I think that was even before his Bulldog build.

I have ridden both the BSA Mach 1 and the Hero Hawk, for years and years. They were very similar frames. Both were too large for me. Unfortunately, they only came is a 23inch frame size.

They had very predictable handling and I have ridden downhill quite fast, without batting an eyelid. The wheels were terrible. They were 27 X 1 1/4 and there was no choice of tires. You bought what was on sale. Curiously, over more than 15 years of riding I never had a single flat tire during a ride. The wheels however, were really bad. Each time I hit a pothole hard, the rim would buckle. But then a new wheel was like Rs 350 (in 1990's ).

If you are hands on with your bicycles, you should be fine with it. Though, you will find it difficult to change to 700c wheels which are slightly smaller. The 27 inch wheels already require long reach callipers.
prabuddhadg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks